Forum Name: Fun Pictures and Video
Forum Description: Share your Middletown Area Fun Photos and Video
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3364
Printed Date: Apr 28 2024 at 8:40am

Topic: Old Armco/AK Offices
Posted By: SupportMiddletown
Subject: Old Armco/AK Offices
Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 10:56am
I just heard that the former Armco/AK office building, constructed in 1917, is undergoing demolition starting this week. The power plant across the street will also come down.

Replies:
Posted By: Hermes
Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 11:30am
I really don't know what to make of all the demolition in this town.

I guess demolition beats paying for upkeep.

-------------
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!

Posted By: LMAO
Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 12:07pm
Maybe next to be torn down will be the city building.Thumbs%20Up

Posted By: Rhodes
Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 12:28pm
Does anyone have interior photos they can post of the interior of the main building? I've never been inside and someone was telling me how sharp the inside lobby is.

Posted By: VietVet
Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 1:46pm
Thank you for the nice pictures. Could randy take the compilation of all the pictures from 409, Support Midd. and others and create a folder for us "old-timers" to remember how it was? If so, thanks in advance for your effort and work.

Wonder if they will save the inscripted wall by the flagpole and over the door of the main entrance before they knock this down too. Maybe put them down by the Bicentennial Commons next to the AK Pavillion (that no one really goes to anymore) It is a part of the Midd. history. Where's the Midd. Historical Society wanting to preserve at least a few things from our past? While we're on the subject of preservation, wonder if they're going to save anything from Roosevelt before they knock it down too???

AK Research is another sad topic for the town. The once thriving research center had over 340 people at one time. Now, I am told, around 34 or so. A neighbor worked there for over 25 years. Been laid off for over a year and a half now with no work in sight for him. Sad epitaph for a once great town asset. Even if the remaining 34 or so locate to the east end, doesn't make a dent in the number of decent paying jobs this town needs. Also makes it easier for the 34 to hop on I-75 to go home at night in West Chester or Mason. Most, like the city leaders, probably live out of town taking their money with them.

Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by LMAO LMAO wrote:

Maybe next to be torn down will be the city building.Thumbs%20Up

Oh it will be in time as soon as they get the new & improved city building built out by the expressway. Confused

-------------

Posted By: viper771
Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 2:39pm
Man that sucks. That is a nice looking building. I can understand not wanting to revamp the old downtown area right now, since the city needs attention elsewhere.. but I hope the area isn't completely forgotten about in the future.

Posted By: Mike_Presta
Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 3:41pm
I am SHOCKED...SHOCKED, I tell you!!!
Why hasn't the Historic Commission been doing their job on this and the Roosevelt Junior High buildings???

It certainly appears that the Historic Commission has been derelict in their duty regarding these two structures, as their duties are defined in City Ordinance 1210:

General Powers and Duties. The Historic Commission shall have the following powers and duties, in addition to those otherwise specified:

(1) The Historic Commission shall conduct a continuous survey of all areas, places, structures, works of art, or similar objects in the City which the Commission has reason to believe are or will be eligible for designation as historic sites, landmarks or districts.

These two structures both obviously meet the definition of "Historic Structure" as defined in Middletown City Ordinance 1210:

(l) Historic Structure – Any building or structure which has historic, architectural, or archaeological significance and has been designated according to the provision of this chapter. This designation is based on the significance of a property to the history, architectural, archaeology or culture of the community, state or nation. It may be achieved in several ways:

(1) Association with broad patterns of our history, events, or activities

(2) Association with important persons

(3) Distinctive physical characteristics of design, construction, workmanship or form

(4) Potential to yield information important in history or pre-history.

1210.05 DESIGNATION OF A HISTORIC LANDMARK OR HISTORIC DISTRICT

(a) Criteria. In considering any area, place, structure, work of art or similar object in the City as a historic site or historic district, the Historic Commission shall apply the following criteria:

(1) The structure or site's character, value or significance as part of the

development of the City, the State or the United States;

(2) Its location as a site of a significant historic event;

(3) Its identification with a person who significantly contributed to the development of the City;

(4) Its embodiment of distinguishing characteristics of an architectural style or type;

(5) Its exemplification of the cultural, economic, social or political heritage of the City;

(6) Its relationship to other distinctive areas or structures designated for preservation;

(7) Its unique location or singular physical characteristic representing an established and familiar feature of the City;

The Historic commission should have demanded that the City undertake the cumbersome, expensive, and very lengthy process necessary to obtain a "CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS" prior to issuing a demolition permit!!!  Someone in City hall should be paying huge fines ($750 per day) and should be imprisoned (90 days, with each day being a new offense) for these egregious violations of Middletown City Ordinances!!

Historic Commission, DO YOUR JOB!!!

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 6:43pm
You are too funny, Mike.

Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 7:18pm
I would think that the Armco building would be of some historical interest... since Armco (AK) is what made Middletown really boom. It would still be doing a lot of good for Middletown if our production in the US didn't go overseas :( Hey, at least we are helping China's economy grow.

Posted By: 409
Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 8:09pm
Wow....I didn't know demo had begun on GO.

I found this plaque embedded in concrete next to the sidewalk on the west side of Curtis St. directly across the street from the GO main entrance. Had no clue it was there.

I talked to one of the demo guys & he said only GO was coming down for now. Apparently the boiler (power)house will stay until the Research building comes down.

Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 10:43pm
409, great photos, but can you please post larger ones or a link to where larger ones can be viewed?

Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 10:44pm
Why didn't they save the old Armco limestone design above the center front doors?

Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Rhodes Rhodes wrote:

409, great photos, but can you please post larger ones or a link to where larger ones can be viewed?
Rhodes, The recent photos I have posted have been of a smaller file size due to the File Manager Allocated File Space that is available. My file manager is almost full and I have had to delete older photos to post new ones. I have a PM in to Randy to see if my file space size can be increased. Thanx!

Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 10:58pm
Good idea or maybe this site should have a flickr account to post photos from. Did you get any interior photos? I wonder if they stripped the place down. I've never been inside, but heard it was a pretty sharp looking corporate office building. At least the lobby.

I guess this is AK Steel's way of saying "we're never coming back". I guess anyone can't blame them, considering it was a horrible location and not getting any better. Their new office building looks boring, but great location.

Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 11:05pm
No, I don't have any inside photos. I was inside this building many years ago, but don't have any specific recollection of what it looked like. If I were to see some old photos, it could possibly ring some chimes.

Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 11:16pm
I just saw the photos on Middletown Journal. Why didn't anybody at least remove the 2 lamp posts that have been there since it was built? Those could easily be re-used. Somebody should try to go get those in the morning before the rest of the building comes down.

Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 11:19pm
Man !! I wish I owned a demolition company. I'd be rolling in mega bucks in this town !! Cool

-------------

Posted By: swohio75
Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 11:24pm
I received a message late Sunday afternoon that there was activity down at the former AK HQ. I went down there this afternoon, and sure enough, the place was coming down. Took me by quite the surprise.

The ARMCO shield above the center door is removed, as wall as the AK Steel Corporation above the entrance. I'm not sure what happened with old George M. Verity statue stand with the inscriptions. The flag pole is still standing, but the rest of the area has been busted up.

Here's a pic I took with my phone. I have a few more, which I'll post sometime tomorrow.

Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

AK Research is another sad topic for the town. The once thriving research center had over 340 people at one time. Now, I am told, around 34 or so. A neighbor worked there for over 25 years. Been laid off for over a year and a half now with no work in sight for him. Sad epitaph for a once great town asset. Even if the remaining 34 or so locate to the east end, doesn't make a dent in the number of decent paying jobs this town needs. Also makes it easier for the 34 to hop on I-75 to go home at night in West Chester or Mason. Most, like the city leaders, probably live out of town taking their money with them.

I thought it was closer to 75. But I could be wrong.

Regardless, the number of employees at research has less to do with Middletown and more to due with AK Steel's business model.

When AK Steel broke off from Kawaski and ARMCO in the mid-90s, ARMCO retained the research facilities on Curtis while its HQ remained in the Pittsburgh area. It was only with the AK/ARMCO merger in 1999 that AK gained control of the research facilities. From what I'm told, AK is less product development-oriented than ARMCO was.

I would look for an announcement later this year or 1stQtr 11 on a new research facility. It's been long-rumored for the east-end. Middletown has worked with both Neyer and Design Homes on Job-Ready site grants for both tracts of lands along Union Road, north of 122. The grants would go towards infrastructure improvements.

However, the old research building, which is a good example of art deco-style, will likely need brownfield clean-up grant money.

Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 11:39pm
How did they remove the Armco shield? It looks like part of the stone, as if they would have to chisel it off.

Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

Middletown has worked with both Neyer and Design Homes on Job-Ready site grants for both tracts of lands along Union Road, north of 122. The grants would go towards infrastructure improvements.

Round 3 JRS grants have already been announced and Middletown did not receive an award. Here is the list of approved projects:

http://development.ohio.gov/Business/JRS/documents/FundedProjectList.pdf - http://development.ohio.gov/Business/JRS/documents/FundedProjectList.pdf

Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 12:04am
Originally posted by SupportMiddletown SupportMiddletown wrote:

How did they remove the Armco shield? It looks like part of the stone, as if they would have to chisel it off.

I very well could be wrong. But I thought for sure I did not see it. And it looks like it is gone from my photo.

Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 12:08am
^It does look like it is gone. I think they did chisel it off. Maybe they were afraid people would cry to have it saved, so they wanted to destroy it before people realized what was going on.

Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 4:39pm
The Armco emblem is definitely gone. I was just there about an hour ago. It looks like it was scraped off. How strange. Those poor lamp posts are still there. Can anybody find out if it is possible to remove them before they end up in the pile?

Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 11:41pm
Easy way to empty a building:
Knock hole in side at each level.
Insert Bobcat.
Push out crap & debris!

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 5:18pm

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 9:48pm
Wow, this is slow going.

Posted By: OhioLimos
Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 2:11pm

Both nice looking buildings. Such a shame.

-------------
http://www.viplimoohio.com - VIP Limo Ohio limousine rental

Date Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by SupportMiddletown SupportMiddletown wrote:

Wow, this is slow going.
Support.....It has come to a screeching halt due to the discovery of more asbestos in the north wing. They have been working on disposal of that already knocked down. Lots of steel going to Cohen Bros.
If the asbestos situation is not resolved by the first of the week, they may start on the original brick building.

Posted By: Bill
Date Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 3:15pm
is AK paying for this?

Date Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 3:23pm
Yes, AK is paying to demo these buildings. They tried to sell it after the demo of other buildings on their surrounding properties with no success.

Date Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by 409They tried to sell it after the demo of other buildings on their surrounding properties with no success. [/QUOTE 409They tried to sell it after the demo of other buildings on their surrounding properties with no success. [/QUOTE wrote:

Really?  I never saw it listed.  Never saw a sign in front of the

Really?  I never saw it listed.  Never saw a sign in front of the place either.

They did try to donate it to the city.  They said no thanks.

Date Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 4:40pm
You are correct....Should have said tried to find a use for it after the demo.........

Date Posted: Oct 16 2010 at 12:23pm

Poor "try."

Date Posted: Oct 16 2010 at 10:47pm

The Middletown Journal still has not had a story, almost a week after MUSA picked it up. MJ is slipping!

Posted By: foxpoint
Date Posted: Oct 18 2010 at 3:32pm
Has there been anything in the Middletown Journal about the ARMCO office building being torn down.  Live out of town and have not seen anyting on their web site.

Date Posted: Oct 18 2010 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by foxpoint foxpoint wrote:

Has there been anything in the Middletown Journal about the ARMCO office building being torn down.  Live out of town and have not seen anyting on their web site.

They posted photos but no story and no quotes from city or AK Steel officials.

Date Posted: Oct 18 2010 at 6:54pm
Man that kind of sucks considering that ARMCO is a big part of Middletown history. The MJ could have at least did some kind of story.

Date Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 10:49pm
Any new project info?

Date Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 10:56pm
^^^
They've started on the back side of the old building.

Posted By: Eleven
Date Posted: Oct 22 2010 at 3:07pm
Thanks for all of the pictures!  I drove by here thursday about 2 pm and there was a bus parked in front near the flagpole. I think the side of the bus said Executive Tours.  Probably just the name of the bus company but thought it might be sad/funny to wait around and see if a group of men walked outta the building dusting off their nice suits and piled into the bus.
Disapprove

Date Posted: Oct 31 2010 at 11:38am
We need some new pics.

Date Posted: Nov 01 2010 at 5:41pm
Here is how it stands as of today. There hasn't been a lot happening since they found more asbestos. Notice the white skirt around the north building lower level. This is to contain the abatement of the newly found asbestos. I was out of town when the north rear of the original brick building was taken down.

Date Posted: Nov 01 2010 at 7:45pm
Man those lamp posts are stil there :(

Date Posted: Nov 01 2010 at 8:38pm
Wow, thanks for the update!

Date Posted: Nov 01 2010 at 8:41pm
I hope they find the legendary time capsule in all that mess.

Date Posted: Nov 01 2010 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by viper771 viper771 wrote:

Man those lamp posts are stil there :(
It's hard to believe that someone hasn't taken them. I would imagine they are cast iron or steel and weigh a bundle. They may still be pulled and reused somewhere.
It would also be interesting to know what shape the underground tunnel system is in. I would guess by now it is mostly back filled.

Date Posted: Nov 01 2010 at 11:48pm
Yeah I figured that they wouldn't be light... but I don't see the point in just putting them in the scrap yard. Those things, repro wise, are pretty expensive.

There is a time capsule? Why didn't they dig that up before they started to demo the place???!??!?

Date Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by viper771 viper771 wrote:

Yeah I figured that they wouldn't be light... but I don't see the point in just putting them in the scrap yard. Those things, repro wise, are pretty expensive.

There is a time capsule? Why didn't they dig that up before they started to demo the place???!??!?

They have tried to find it before without my success. The thought was that it was in the cornerstone.

Date Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 10:04pm
Well I hope they do find it eveuntually. That would be pretty cool to see.

Date Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 10:15pm
You weren't around for the 100 Year Celebration of ARMCO/AK were you? Back in 2000? Now that was a party. Say what you will about ole Dickie Wardrop. He knew how throw a party. And he generally seemed to care about the Middletown community.

Print Page | Close Window