Print Page | Close Window

Another Business Gone

Printed From: MiddletownUSA.com
Category: Middletown Community
Forum Name: Middletown News, Info and Happenings
Forum Description: Discuss any Middletown Ohio area news story.
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3653
Printed Date: May 16 2024 at 1:38pm

Topic: Another Business Gone
Posted By: Vivian Moon
Subject: Another Business Gone
Date Posted: Feb 07 2011 at 2:22am
Middletown Journal Sound Off.....

Our so-called
city officials, who keep saying they want to revitalize the downtown, let one of the oldest businesses downtown close up this past couple of weeks. Fair Auto had been in business for 25 or 30 years at least. Instead of the city trying to help these people — by paying some of their utilities or something like that — they are hanging these hoods all over this silly-looking building and donating thousands of dollars for a so-called art center. ...

Replies:
Posted By: VietVet
Date Posted: Feb 09 2011 at 6:35am
30 years? Seems longer at that location. No city help? Sad and disgusting. Guess Fair Auto didn't fit Marty K's "Olde Tyme" criteria that Mike is always referring to. Then again, car hoods hanging on the side of a building doesn't really say "Olde Tyme" either, does it? Alot of high paying jobs in the artzy area where the city wants to offer help and concentrate. I bet most of these coffee shop, "nicknack", crafts places pay at least 6 bucks an hour. Working three of these types of jobs will allow you to have a decent standard of living if the spouse works at least two jobs too. Mercy!

Posted By: Bobbie
Date Posted: Feb 09 2011 at 7:01am
If I am not mistaking the Maytag store on Breiel closed in January as well.

Posted By: Bocephus
Date Posted: Feb 09 2011 at 7:19am
Originally posted by Bobbie Bobbie wrote:

If I am not mistaking the Maytag store on Breiel closed in January as well.

That don't suprise me.

Posted By: TudorBrown
Date Posted: Feb 09 2011 at 8:30pm
Why pay their bills?  They had no business, and could never compete with Savage, NAPA, Auto Zone, and Advanced. 

We're over saturated with auto stores as it is.

Posted By: Mike_Presta
Date Posted: Feb 10 2011 at 4:50am
Hmm...and without the over $1 million in public subsidies, PAC could never compete with MAC, Walden Gallery and the other art-related ventures already in Middletown.  Verdin himself said so in one of his little propaganda speeches pitches to city council.

So, perhaps we are already "over saturated"  with art??? Confused

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Posted By: randy
Date Posted: Feb 10 2011 at 8:50am

The Marathon gas station over in Blue Ball closed a couple weeks ago. That is one less place to gas over in the area by the highway. I guess travelers can just keep going on up to Monroe to fill up.

-------------
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com" rel="nofollow - www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357

Posted By: FmrMidE
Date Posted: Feb 12 2011 at 5:32pm
At the abandoned BP station or the abandoned Marathon/White Castle??
Or maybe the Shell station if the hookers haven't dragged another Monroe "john" in and blocked the pumps...

Print Page | Close Window