Print Page | Close Window

Dual Roles

Printed From: MiddletownUSA.com
Category: Middletown City Government
Forum Name: City Manager
Forum Description: Discuss the city manager administration including all city departments.
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3834
Printed Date: May 05 2024 at 3:24am

Topic: Dual Roles
Posted By: 409
Subject: Dual Roles
Date Posted: Apr 28 2011 at 10:01am

Is the city of Franklin on to something` It seems Sonny Lewis is doing the jobs of both City Manager AND Public Works director!

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/franklins-lewis-balances-dual-job-of-city-manager-public-works-chief-1147119.html - http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/franklins-lewis-balances-dual-job-of-city-manager-public-works-chief-1147119.html
Something like this in Middletown would save $130,000+ and bennies for a start!
With declining revenue and the projected loss of state funds, something similar to this would make sense`

But then again.......Confused

Replies:
Posted By: VietVet
Date Posted: Apr 28 2011 at 12:26pm
409...are you suggesting that we take Gilleland's job and Davy Duritsch (never can spell that guys name- ) and combine job duties for more efficiency?

How can you suggest such a thing given the fine job our esteemed city manager is doing with her plan to make this town the "Pride of SW Ohio" Can't be too hard on 'ole Dave. He's just taking orders from "The One". Gotta admit, she's worth every penny of that $130,000, isn't she?

Posted By: 409
Date Posted: Apr 28 2011 at 5:16pm
Vet...I believe Dave Duritsch does a pretty good job although I don't always agree with some of the priorities. I believe some of these are shoved on him. If left alone, no doubt he would do well with what he has to work with. 
At one time I had hope for Judy, BUT, she has turned into a disappointment.

Posted By: VietVet
Date Posted: Apr 29 2011 at 6:36am
I would have to agree with you 409. Dave does seem to do a competent job. I have noticed a trend with those who report to Gilleland, particularly when they are giving a report to council and Gilleland is sitting a few feet from them. It seems to be rather apparent to me that they are treading water and looking at her occasionally for her approval. She seems to have that affect on those who work in the city building. Must be a little tyrant to work for.

I remember when Ginger Smith was the Public Works Director and she participated in the street repair committee meetings. When she would speak, she would look at Gilleland for approval. She did this when she spoke at council meetings also, almost scared to death to say something for fear of incuring Gilleland's wrath. How sad to have to work under those conditions.

Took only a few years for Gilleland to transform into a little tyrant, didn't it? Never has impressed from day one. Doesn't have the personality to be a dynamic leader for the city. "My way or the highway" is an organizational destroyer and never is an effective type of manager. She needs to go, IMO.

Posted By: ground swat
Date Posted: Apr 29 2011 at 7:55pm
Micro-manager is what I would call the city manager. Lets pay out six figures to people with college ed. but lets not trust what they have to say. "What a F-----G Mess"  The city manager IMO cannot make a decision at all. Just ask one of the 400 employees what they think of their leader.

Print Page | Close Window