URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5103
Printed Date: May 11 2024 at 3:54am

Topic: TOO MUCH SECTION 8?
Posted By: Vivian Moon
Subject: TOO MUCH SECTION 8?
Date Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 9:22am
Posted: 12:00 a.m. Sunday, March 10, 2013

How much is too much Section 8?

By http://www.middletownjournal.com/staff/michael-d-pitman/" rel="nofollow - Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

Middletown had a total of 774 Section 8 housing vouchers at the end of 1999 and over a six-year span more than doubled that number, according to city records.

Today, this Butler County city of 48,962 has more subsidized housing per capita than any municipality in Ohio.

That’s a statistic that Middletown officials have been anxiously working to change in recent years. Reducing Section 8 housing has become such a priority that the city administration and City Council are willing to risk the ire of and legal action from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development by eliminating 1,008 vouchers and falling out of compliance with the agency’s regulations.

Fourteen percent of the city’s housing stock, or 3,300 units, is subsidized housing, said Community Revitalization Director Doug Adkins. Too much Section 8 “is not the root of our problems,” he said, but it can impact the overall image of the city and hinder progress and economic development.

“The city can only support 654 housing choice vouchers within the (Middletown Public Housing Authority) program,” Adkins said. “Any further saturation would … cross a tipping point where the additional subsidized housing creates more problems than benefits to the city as a whole.

“At that point, families of all incomes suffer because the city cannot provide adequate services to its residents,” he said.

But landlords like Jeff Faulkner, who rents several of the properties he owns to Section 8 tenants, disagree. They say Section 8 is big business in Middletown, bringing in millions of dollars to the city and serving hundreds of vulnerable, low-income and elderly residents who need decent, affordable housing.

The city pays about $10 million in funds it receives from HUD to the hundreds of landlords who rent to Section 8 voucher-holders. The city’s proposed voucher cuts would eliminate $6 million in payments to those landlords.

Faulkner said Middletown’s Section 8 program had “always been a strong, community-friendly program” until the city terminated its former administrator, Consoc Housing Consultants, and replaced them with Cleveland-based Nelson & Associates in March 2011. Since assuming more local control, he said, City Hall has been “beating up” Section 8 landlords with its strenuous property inspections and regulations.

Faulkner the city’s plan would not only run hundreds of low-income residents out of the city, it would also create an almost equal amount of vacant housing. That’s why he and other landlords favor transferring the program out of the city’s control.

“I think the Section 8 program needs to be moved to Butler County,” he said.

HUD had made a similar suggestion to Middletown officials in response to the city’s proposal to reduce its vouchers from 1,662 to 654. The federal housing agency objected to the city’s plan in a Dec. 18 letter, telling officials to fill 95 percent of its available vouchers, transfer its voucher program to the Butler County Metropolitan Housing Authority or face possible legal action.

The Middletown Public Housing Authority, which is made up of all seven city council members and the city manager, has told HUD it intends to proceed with its plan. About 1,300 vouchers, or less than 80 percent of those available, have been issued to date, and that number will continue to decrease through attrition over the next five years, officials have said.

Adkins said the data shows that — outside of the low-income housing tax credits — Middletown has almost twice as many subsidized housing units as Hamilton County and more than four times as many as other southwest Ohio housing agencies. He added that Middletown also has almost four times the state average.

“The city suffers from an overabundance of rental property, beyond what the existing market can support and a corresponding lack of home ownership in distressed neighborhoods,” Adkins said. “During the past 10 years, the city implemented a policy of increasing the number of Section 8 vouchers to assist low-income residents.”

Before Dec. 1, 1999, the city had 774 Section 8 vouchers. But because the city wanted to reduce the vacancy rates of older and less-desirable homes, and to ensure that housing remained in compliance with city code, Middletown officials began to accept additional vouchers, Adkins said.

The city added 888 over the next six years, with 56.9 percent of the vouchers having been added in 2000 and 2001. The last increase came on Oct. 1, 2005 when they accepted 108 vouchers.

In March 2011, Middletown terminated its contract with Consoc, which had managed the Section 8 program since 1996. The change happened because of 13 deficiencies related to operation of the program.

At about the same time the city was changing program administrators, the Middletown Division of Police and the Office of the Inspector General started an ongoing investigation of Section 8, which has so far resulted in the arrest of 10 landlords — five in 2011 and five in 2012 — after they uncovered tens of thousands of dollars in alleged improper rental payments made on behalf of voucher-holders, said police spokesman Lt. Scott Reeve.

The investigation, which is being lead by Middletown police Detective Ken Rogers, and tighter controls on the Section 8 program have had a positive effect, Reeve said.

“Crime was down last year for the first time in a few years, and I think the Section 8 investigation has something to do with that,” he said. “The program was not supervised at all for many years, and when Doug took over the program, he enlisted our help to clean it up.”

Some of the charges included landlords living in properties where tenants were to be living, or collecting Section 8 money when the property was vacant, Reeve said.

“There was a lot of abuse going on, in addition to the fact we have a disproportionate amount of Section 8,” Reeve said. “It hurts the crime rate, it hurts the school system, and it’s difficult to talk about because it comes across that we’re anti-poor. We’re not anti-poor, but we shouldn’t be disproportionate.”

Real estate, rental and leasing is the largest private sector service industry in the state, Adkins said. And while home sales were on the upswing in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area, according to 2012 and 2011 data, Middletown has not benefited from positive home growth, he said.

“In the wake of the housing market collapse and the decrease in available credit, the city of Middletown suffers from a substantial oversupply of vacant, undesirable housing, leading to almost complete disinvestment in many neighborhoods,” Adkins said.

Councilman A.J. Smith, who cast the lone dissenting vote on the city’s plan to cut vouchers, agrees there is a need to fix the Section 8 program. But he disagrees with the way the city is going about doing it.

Smith said Middletown will likely see some decline in the number of vouchers because of sequestration, the across-the-board federal spending cuts enacted March 1. HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan testified last month before Congress that the sequester would result in about 125,000 vouchers losing funding.

“But I don’t think it (voucher reductions) should be initiated by us,” he said. “I think we have an obligation to care for our constituents, and we should care for those who can’t care for themselves.”

Smith said the city’s Section 8 vouchers should be spread out better. While vouchers are peppered throughout Middletown, the highest concentrations are in the western and central portions of the city. Many of the vouchers are in the city’s 2nd Ward, which Smith represents.

“The way we’re doing (voucher reduction) is by any means necessary,” Smith said. “I don’t think we’re taking a very diplomatic approach.”

Smith said he doesn’t think Middletown should bear the burden of all Butler County’s low-income housing, but he worries about the public perception of the city’s current actions.

“I don’t think our message should be to get rid of all the poor people,” he said. “That is what the community is feeling City Hall is trying to do.”

This is the first of a three-part series looking at the past, present and future of Section 8 in Middletown.

Showing its age

Middletown has some of the oldest homes in Butler and Warren counties:

Middletown:

52.7 percent of the city’s homes were built before 1960

11.4 percent of the city’s homes were built after 1990

Butler County:

31.2 percent of the county’s homes were built before 1960

32.3 percent of the county’s homes were built after 1990

Warren County:

16.6 percent of the county’s homes were built before 1960

51.9 percent of the county’s homes were built since 1990

Source: U.S. Census Bureau

Residential sales

Here is the 2011 and 2012 sales data on Butler County:

2011 | 2012|% change

No. of sales: 3,259|3,812|14.51%

Average home price: $134,464.00|$136,675.00|1.62%

Median home price: $122,000.00|$125,000.00|2.40%

Source: Multiple Listing Service of Greater Cincinnati

Join the conversation

Visit us online at Facebook.com/MiddletownJournal and join our conversation about Section 8 housing in Middletown.

Follow us

Reporter Michael D. Pitman tweets about Middletown news at the Twitter handle @mdpitman.

Replies:
Posted By: LMAO
Date Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 1:32pm

Faulkner said Middletown’s Section 8 program had “always been a strong, community-friendly program” until the city terminated its former administrator, Consoc Housing Consultants, and replaced them with Cleveland-based Nelson & Associates in March 2011. Since assuming more local control, he said, City Hall has been “beating up” Section 8 landlords with its strenuous property inspections and regulations.

Faulkner the city’s plan would not only run hundreds of low-income residents out of the city, it would also create an almost equal amount of vacant housing. That’s why he and other landlords favor transferring the program out of the city’s control.

Of course he is going to disagree with it.I say he has  most of the vouchers.My understanding of the Section 8 is that there are only certain people that live in the place and thats it.After the lease is signed some move in other people and charge them to live there.Mind you there already getting a discount for the rent.Dont say it dont happen cos I know of a person that is doing it.This person is trying to get them out but is fighting city hall. If people are going to get help out of the taxpayers money they need to follow the rules.If not oh well.

Date Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 3:29pm

Word on the street….
City Hall just received an answer back from HUD concerning the reduction of Section 8 vouchers.

Posted By: Bocephus
Date Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Word on the street….
City Hall just received an answer back from HUD concerning the reduction of Section 8 vouchers.

And ?

Posted By: greygoose
Date Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 7:40pm
There is not a chance in hell that HUD is going to allow the reductions that the city is requesting.

-------------
"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got"

Date Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 9:15pm

And ?

Bocephus
I have no further information at this time

There is not a chance in hell that HUD is going to allow the reductions that the city is requesting.
Greygoose
I believe HUD will now turn the entire Section 8 program over to
Butler County before the end of March. I believe the Nelson & Assoc contract is to be renewed on March 21.

Date Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

And ?

Bocephus
I have no further information at this time

Greygoose
I believe HUD will now turn the entire Section 8 program over to
Butler County before the end of March. I believe the Nelson & Assoc contract is to be renewed on March 21.
And the slumlords are doing the happy dance.

Posted By: John Beagle
Date Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 8:54am
You guys have been talking about Middletown being the Section 8 capitol of Ohio for years. Finally council has heard.

Kudos to all you fantastic and informed posters.

Also I see the Pioneer Cemetery is getting attention too. We all know who we can thank for that, right Viv?

-------------
http://www.johnbeagle.com/" rel="nofollow - John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.

Posted By: ktf1179
Date Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 10:37am
Well seems to me if Middletown gets stuck with Section 8 the only recourse the city has is to strictly enforce the toughest ordinances on section 8 Landlords in the area , in order to drive them away and out of the city. I am talking Oakwood and Indian Hill style ordinances. 

Posted By: swohio75
Date Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 10:52am
I find it interesting the pro argument for Section 8 is nobody wants those houses anyway so let's try to make "productive" use out of them.

Date Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 11:34am

ktf1179 - Well seems to me if Middletown gets stuck with Section 8 the only recourse the city has is to strictly enforce the toughest ordinances on section 8 Landlords in the area , in order to drive them away and out of the city. I am talking Oakwood and Indian Hill style ordinances. 

ktf1179

Please remember that Mr. Kohler and City Council REQUESTED the increase in Section 8 vouchers. While you may want to drive THEM away and out of the city please stop and think about where you live. The law clearly states that City Hall can not do selective enforcement against Section 8 landlords and their properties.
It is my opinion that City Hall is getting very close to a civil rights violation and discrimination.
If you want to drive out all the landlords of rental property then the inspections should be the same for ALL landlords and ALL properties.

Date Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 12:03pm

“The city suffers from an overabundance of rental property, beyond what the existing market can support and a corresponding lack of home ownership in distressed neighborhoods,” Adkins said. “During the past 10 years, the city implemented a policy of increasing the number of Section 8 vouchers to assist low-income residents.”

Before Dec. 1, 1999, the city had 774 Section 8 vouchers. But because the city wanted to reduce the vacancy rates of older and less-desirable homes, and to ensure that housing remained in compliance with city code, Middletown officials began to accept additional vouchers, Adkins said.

Swohio75 -I find it interesting the pro argument for Section 8 is nobody wants those houses anyway so let's try to make "productive" use out of them.

swohio75
No matter how City Hall now wants to try and justify their decision to increase the Section 8 vouchers over a five year period….This was clearly a total failure of City Leadership on numerous levels.  This was all about Greed and Feeding the Beast

Posted By: ktf1179
Date Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 12:50pm
"If you want to drive out all the landlords of rental property then the inspections should be the same for ALL landlords and ALL properties."

I agree with you on this statement. It should not only be for Section 8 properties, but for all properties, and Landlords. I would even include everyone who live in Middletown.

Yes I know I chose to move to Middletucky from Springboro,  but that is no reason we have to accept that image as status Quo. 

There is no reason why a Lawns can't be mowed, sidewalk can't be shoveled when it snows, backyard should be littered with toys, and junk. There is no reason why cars should be parked on the streets for months without moving. There is no reason homeowners should allow for Sidewalks and Driveways to crumble into gravel. There is no reason for house and properties to neglected so much that they become health hazards to live in. 

Also Middletown needs to a curfew, and a noise ordinance, if there is not one already. 

Sorry for the rant, but I needed to get that off my chest. 

But this is the type of stuff that the city needs to crack down on, not just Section 8, but for everyone in Middletown. The only way to improve the image of Middletown, is to get tough on these violators. If they want to live here they need to live by Middletown's Rules, not by what they think is acceptable. 

I am not against Section 8 housing, as long the property is maintain, and the people living there doesn't  cause an problems with the neighbors and the community. In fact the house I bought was a HUD House that I got for 90K.

I know I do complain  a lot on this forum, about various issues, that's because I know Middletown can do better if the City and it's citizens rise up to change it. I do like living here, much to everyone's surprise. l love my house, the location, the conveniences, and yes most of the people who live here. I am even holding out hope for the city, with the possible remodel of the Towne Mall, the attempt to reduce section 8 to more of a reasonable level, and the beautification efforts on the East End of town. In fact I am glad to see a lot of the homes in my neighborhood being re-modeled and flipped for re-sale increasing the values of the area. I am seeing Middletown starting to finally do the right things, but there is tons more things that needs to be done as well.

Posted By: spiderjohn
Date Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 1:26pm
Since Mr.Kohler was the driving force behind the earlt 2000+ Section 8 increase, AND the funding related, it might be interesting to see just how much of that early funding went out quietly to homeowners of the upscale residences in his historic S Main area and what names recieved these grants, if any did at all.

Time to cut the # of vouchers by whatever means necessary

The framework of our local economy , schools and safety has been damaged beyond repair(at least for the next 10-20 years).

Let the pigs squeal all that they want

jmo

jmo

Posted By: over the hill
Date Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 1:41pm
spider, there was a lot of money that went to homeowners, especially several on south main st. Like mr. nelson self kept saying "follow the money". You could check out several remodeling jobs done several years ago when Kohler was in charge of the loans and the money.

Posted By: Stanky
Date Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 2:38pm
Whatever happened to Nelson Self...is he still around?

Posted By: greygoose
Date Posted: Mar 12 2013 at 1:41pm
ktf1179,

The Housing Agency doesn't have the authority to increase the "toughness" of the inspection process beyond the guidelines laid out by HUD, but I can assure you that they are 10 fold tougher than what they used to be (and I'm not complaining). I just had a duplex inspected that had passed the previous 11 years (same tenant) and this year's inspection came back with 9 deficiencies that had to be addressed. The tenant hadn't changed..... just that the standards were being enforced.   

-------------
"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got"

Date Posted: Mar 12 2013 at 6:16pm

ktf1179,

The Housing Agency doesn't have the authority to increase the "toughness" of the inspection process beyond the guidelines laid out by HUD, but I can assure you that they are 10 fold tougher than what they used to be (and I'm not complaining). I just had a duplex inspected that had passed the previous 11 years (same tenant) and this year's inspection came back with 9 deficiencies that had to be addressed. The tenant hadn't changed..... just that the standards were being enforced.   – greygoose

Greygoose
Your above statement is incorrect. Several years ago Mr. Adkins decided to use the International Inspection Code as part of the HUD Section 8 Voucher Program.

Date Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 6:18pm
ADKINS HAS BEEN LYING TO COUNCIL AND PUBLIC FOR SOME TIME NOW, AS I'VE BEEN TOLD'SO IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Date Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

ADKINS HAS BEEN LYING TO COUNCIL AND PUBLIC FOR SOME TIME NOW, AS I'VE BEEN TOLD'SO IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Anyone that doesn't know by now that not only does Mr.A tell little white lies the rest of the "SPINELESS ONES" ones does also.LOL As Judge Judy says "Wouldn't believe them if their tongues came notarized."LOL

Date Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 8:45pm
Yes,LMAO,You're right, but I guess what is most distrurbing is that he is an attorney J.Mulligan is an attorney, Les Landen just sits there, A. Scott-Jones tells us all the time about her law exprience, D. Picard is an attorney and our City Manager is the Director of this program and city council just listens to all the spin and believes it.IMO

Date Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 10:07pm
Lawyers are the best of the best of LIL White Liars. What I don't understand is Why more people of this Dead Town don't stand up to the "Spineless Ones?"Takes more then just a few to make them listen to all not just a few.The ones they listen to is the ones that are in need of something and want the rest of us pay for it.There the ones that are Spineless ones cater to.Ones that say Scratch my back and I will scratch yours and reward you in the end.IMO everyone of them needs to be kicked out of there seats and then a step farther investigate them. To many times it has been said,We are Broke then all of a sudden,they find a money tree. 

Date Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 11:14am
Once again LMAO You are right, thank You!!

Date Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 11:29am
It would be nice if we could organize something like the "red shirt" people did, and have a spokesperson to address council with OUR grevances.(just dreaming out loud)

Date Posted: Mar 14 2013 at 12:00pm
OTH many people have addressed the "SPINELESS ONES" and they only listen to certain ones.If your not on their "A" list forget it.Use to think that a couple of them understood the regular people but they have shifted to the other side.
With this section 8 thing,IMO a person should only be allowed so many vouchers.There are a few that has more then 5 and IMO I think it just wrong.I own a few houses and would NEVER accept Section 8 housing.To many headaches.Get people in there that destroys the house and the owner is the ones that has to pick up the tab.

Date Posted: Mar 17 2013 at 9:39am

MIDDLETOWN SECTION 8 Part 2

Section 8 landlords divided on regulations

By http://www.middletownjournal.com/staff/michael-d-pitman/" rel="nofollow - Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

The city’s efforts to better regulate and reduce its number of Section 8 properties has landlords in the program divided.

City officials say Middletown is shouldering a disproportionate share of Butler County’s subsidized housing, which impacts crime and the city’s image, among other things. The city has more Section 8 housing per capita than any other municipality in Ohio.

Middletown officials want to cut the number of vouchers to 654, which would be about 10 percent of the city’s total housing stock. City officials have said that’s as much subsidized housing as city services can support without negatively impacting everyone.

Landlord Don Gose said he supports the vast majority of the city’s actions, including hiring a new company to operate the Section 8 program.

The city terminated its contract with Consoc Housing Consultants in late 2010 and hired Nelson & Associates in March 2011.

“To (Middletown Community Revitalization Director) Doug Adkins’ benefit, he brought in a company that is making us play by the rules,” Gose said.

Properties that had passed inspections before are failing them now, Gose said. He said he had a property that passed 11 straight inspections, but in its first inspection with Nelson & Associates, that same property failed.
Mr. Gose, the city changed the inspection rules to be more stringent and that is why many items in your property failed.

“The landlords might have been better under Consoc, but the city as a whole was not,” he said.
I do not know why you seem to be using CONSOC as the whipping post for the past failures of this program. This was clearly a total failure of Mr. Kohler's office for NOT enforcing the rules of the program.

After Nelson was hired, the city started an investigation with the Inspector General’s Office. It has netted 10 arrests of landlords for defrauding the system.

Jeff Faulkner, a landlord who owns several buildings with Section 8 tenants, has accused the city of “beating up” on landlords with stringent regulations. He claims some of his properties have failed inspections for infractions as simple as a burned out light bulb. He said he sees that as part of the city’s plan to shrink Section 8 in Middletown.
Mr. Faulkner didn't get to explain that if the inspector finds a burned out light bulb he can not replace the light while the inspector is at the property so it will pass inspection. Faulkner would need to make an appointment for another inspection.

“I don’t see any other way for them to be able to accomplish anything if they don’t get rid of the landlords that own quite a bit of property,” Faulkner said. “I don’t see how they’re going to shrink this program at all.”

If the city will be allowed to shrink the program is uncertain.

HUD has never given the city a statue or regulation that says it can’t, though the federal agency has sent letters asking the city to reconsider its actions. The MPHA at its last meeting earlier this month agreed to stay the course.
The city signed a contract

Faulkner and Gose agree that HUD won’t allow the city to shrink the program without justification.

Faulkner said he would like the city to prove there is not a need for the existing Middletown vouchers by opening up the waiting list.
HUD has already proven there is a need for this program in the Middletown

“There are many people who are wanting to move into Middletown,” he said. “I’ve got three people who want to move into Middletown from Warren County.”

Adkins said the waiting list was last open before 2009, and the vouchers were not filled.
Mr. Adkins needs to produce documentation to prove this statement....

Gose said it was a mistake for the city to accept 888 Section 8 vouchers from 1999 to 2005 — which more than doubled what they had before Dec. 1, 1999 — just for the sake of filling the vacant housing stock. He did not become a Section 8 landlord until that injection of new vouchers in the city.
Mr. Gose, the city didn't ACCEPT 888 Section 8 Vouchers....Mr. Kohler REQUESTED 888 Section 8 Vouchers

“People like me saw that was an opportunity,” Gose said. “The money was easy to get and the money was there, and entrepreneurs like me took advantage of that.”

The program receives about $10 million, and if the vouchers are reduced will cut the program funding by about 60 percent. So far this year, the city has received about $2.1 million through March 14, and about $2 million went out as housing assistance payments. The remainder of the money, about $136,000, has been split between the city and Nelson & Associates.

Gose thinks the city is “doing the right thing,” even though the enforcement is costing him additional money — anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars a year.

“That’s a good thing,” Gose said. “That frustrates my fellow landlords. I don’t like spending any more than I have to, but the rules are what they are. But as a citizen, I support what they’re doing.”

Gose said he understands why some landlords feel things were better under Consoc Housing Consultants, the former administrator of the program, but he disagrees
I do not know why you seem to be using CONSOC as the whipping post for the past failures of this program. This was clearly a total failure of Mr. Kohler's office for NOT enforcing the rules of the program.

“It was just there. Nobody administrated the program,” Gose said.
WHAT....We paid Mr. Kohler big bucks to over see this program and all he did was walk his big pay check to the bank..

The Section 8 program was created by Congress in the 1970s to expand housing options for low-income families, disabled people and the elderly. The vouchers can be used anywhere and cover most and sometimes all of the fair-market rent for a house or apartment. It’s HUD’s largest program serving more than 2 million households nationwide with a budget of $18 billion.

The term “Section 8” is used because the federal law, which created the program is found in Section 8 of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974.

Date Posted: Mar 17 2013 at 9:53am
Posted: 5:25 p.m. Friday, March 15, 2013

Landlords must register with city through water bills

Mandatory program to start July 1

Staff Writer

Middletown’s estimated 600 landlords will soon have to register their contact information with the city or risk having water to their properties shut off.

A new proposed plan calls for landlords to register their names, physical address (no P.O. boxes), contact numbers and a listing of all their properties with the city through their water bills, according to Steve Bohannon, a landlord who worked with the city on the proposal. The plan is set to become mandatory on July 1 and no water will be turned on — even if a tenant requests it — until that landlord registers with the city.

The goal of the plan is to hold landlords accountable for maintaining their property. Some city properties are owned by individuals or groups who lives outside of the region, and can be difficult to contact.

City officials had previously considered charging landlords a $25 registration fee, but many landlords protested the idea.

“We came to a happy medium and everybody’s happy,” Bohannon said of the compromise. “We didn’t need any more fees for this or that.”

Further details of the plan were not being released Friday because City Manager Judy Gilleland had yet to review it or present it to City Council.

“We will be finalizing a proposed program and processes, putting it forward for the city manager to review,” said Community Revitalization Director Doug Adkins.

“The city was looking for a goal to find irresponsible landlords who weren’t taking care of their properties,” said Missy McCall, a landlord who served on the committee with Bohannon. “All they want to have is to find the responsible party. It was easy to find a solution that met their needs and ours.”

The city in January 2012 proposed to charge a fee to register landlords in order to hold them accountable for maintaining their property.

But many landlords felt they were being unfairly targeted by the plan, which had a goal of holding landlords more accountable for poorly maintained and dilapidated properties. McCall said the proposal was offensive because landlords felt the city was trying to “punish the masses for the mistakes of the few.”

After meeting with some landlords, city officials killed the proposed plan last August.

Committees were then formed — one to address vacant property registration and one to address landlord registration — and this proposed plan is the result, Bohannon said. He called it a win for the city and landlords.

The registration process gave the city’s landlords an opportunity to meet on a regular basis, and that eventually led them to forming the Middletown chapter of the Investment Property Owners Association, an organization that’s been in Hamilton for decades.

“We feel as an investment group, we can bring a lot to the table, just like we did when we sat down to discuss the registration,” said Bohannon, the president of the MIPOA.

Bernie McGuire, immediate past president of the IPOA of Butler County, called the organization “an extension of the voice of housing providers.”

“We’re helping housing providers become better housing providers,” he said of the educational program they conduct, which is open to the public. “We try to get the point across that it’s a shared responsibility, not just the landlord who’s invested a lot of money in the property. The tenant shares some of the responsibility in upkeep with the property and the standards of the neighborhood.”

Anyone with interest in the Middletown IPOA should call Bohannon at 513-464-0464 or attend a meeting. Meetings are every third Thursday of the month, at Java Johnny’s, 3534 Central Ave.

Posted By: Bill
Date Posted: Mar 17 2013 at 10:47am
Vivian Moon:  "Faulkner said he would like the city to prove there is not a need for the existing Middletown vouchers by opening up the waiting list.
HUD has already proven there is a need for this program in the Middletown"

This depends on how you define "need".  That's like putting out bowls of cat food outside of your home and then, when dozens of cats show up, claim there is a "need" for more cat food.

Date Posted: Mar 17 2013 at 11:27am
The landlords i've talked to are NOT opposed to strick regulations and they DON'T care if the number of vouchers are reduced. The point is the way Adkins is running the program. He demonizes the people using the program. The real point is Judy and Doug DO NOT want low income people in Middletown regardless if they are law-abiding and productive people that have fallen on hard times. JMO

Posted By: TonyB
Date Posted: Mar 17 2013 at 12:00pm
If that were true, why were the vouchers obtained in the first place? It's not like you were going to get middle income families to take those vouchers. It's absurd to think that the city manager and Mr. Adkins wouldn't know that low-income families would be getting those vouchers. The outcry about it after the fact seems to me to be a realization that all of the consequences were not taken into account.

Date Posted: Mar 17 2013 at 1:00pm
Exactly, TonyB, This was M. Kohler's request for more vouchers with out oversite of the results.WHY is this man still employed in the city of Middletown??? Oh, that's right ,because Judy wanted to keep him. He has NOT been very sucessful in any thing he has touched,but he still has his job.   

Date Posted: Mar 17 2013 at 8:58pm
“I don’t see any other way for them to be able to accomplish anything if they don’t get rid of the landlords that own quite a bit of property,” Faulkner said. “I don’t see how they’re going to shrink this program at all.”
Question to Mr.Faulkner,How many Section8 housing do you have?

Posted By: Middletown29
Date Posted: Mar 18 2013 at 6:32am
Good question LMAO, I bet Faulkner won't answer.
He and Kohler should be run out of town.

Date Posted: Mar 18 2013 at 9:20am

Middletown29
I have a better plan. Let’s put all those that have been involved in the Section 8 program over the past 20 years under OATH and question their actions…..and we will see WHO needs to be run out of town.

Date Posted: Mar 18 2013 at 10:31am
Hey Mtown
Aren't you a former commissioner?

Date Posted: Mar 19 2013 at 7:36am
You mean council member?
Why do you ask?

Date Posted: Mar 19 2013 at 9:20am
They were commissioners then I believe
Was talking to others who seem to know you
I can live with screen names--some can't
I value the message more than the identity--some don't

Yet you didn't answer
You seem to have no problem calling out others and me by name or business
So you are also fair game

Council member or commissioner?
Chamber board member?

Date Posted: Mar 19 2013 at 5:30pm
Yes

Date Posted: Mar 19 2013 at 6:15pm
OK
Thank you for your honesty

Their guess was correct

Surprised me though

Date Posted: Mar 19 2013 at 8:10pm
so--I believe that Mtown was steering the city ship when the dedicated street $$ was taken away to the general fund
to handle one of our recurring "budget crises"

do you regret that one?

to his credit--his group also started the roof coming off of the mall
who was to know how expensive that area has become since

Date Posted: Mar 19 2013 at 10:56pm
I have never seen 5 more heartless, discompassionate people as I saw tonight at our city council meeting. I am appalled at the lack of humanity displayed by A. Mort, J.Mulligan, L.Mulligan,D.Pacard and ofcourse D.Adkins. How can you look in the mirror in the morning. I can not express my disgust any other way. My heart goes out to this Byrd family.

Date Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 8:37am

Last night was the quarterly meeting of MPHA and Mr. Adkins had very little to say and city council had very few question to ask about the Section 8 Program. Did ya notice that not one of the council members ask Mr. Adkins if he had heard from HUD concerning the 4 page letter he sent to HUD on February 18, 2013 concerning the reduction of vouchers? Do you really believe that this subject was not discussed outside these chambers? It was like the Big Pink Elephant in the room that they didn’t want to talk about.
    Adkins stated that he has now reduced the available vouchers by 320 and that any and all the water bills for Section 8 properties have been collected except one landlord.
    So it seems that all is well with the Middletown Section 8 Program. Or is this the quiet before the storm?

Date Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 8:45am
I agree with over the hill. While the sound on my tv from the council broadcast last night was not good from what I caught they should each take a reality pill.
All Adkins worried about was the "process". While the process is important it should not trump people's lives just for the sake of the "process".

AJ was right on this one. There are plenty of other homes to demo.

Also why would our city fathers And mothers not get involved in the handling of this matter by the Calf company that either screwed up big time of defrauded one of our citizens.?

Date Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 9:09am

I have never seen 5 more heartless, discompassionate people as I saw tonight at our city council meeting. I am appalled at the lack of humanity displayed by A. Mort, J.Mulligan, L.Mulligan,D.Pacard and ofcourse D.Adkins. How can you look in the mirror in the morning. I can not express my disgust any other way. My heart goes out to this Byrd family.

Over the Hill
Please notice that at no time before last nights meeting did Mr. Adkins get in his car to go see the condition of the house in question. I don’t think the citizens of
Middletown
really understand what type of houses Mr. Adkins is tearing down. Adkins stated that the house needed $25,000 to bring the house up to code however he did at no time say that the house was not structurally sound. And then he wanted to place a time limit on the rehab of the property.

Well Mr. Adkins just how many days does Art Central have to bring their building up to code?

Posted By: VietVet
Date Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 9:59am
Well, I read the "free for two weeks" Journal edition for today. Didn't see anything about the Section 8 discussion in the paper. Perhaps that's why I quit taking it years ago. Seems as if nothing has changed with the Journal. They tend to publish only the good, seldom the bad, but never the ugly stories.

I'll watch the council meeting on TV Midd. tonight. In the meantime, could someone elaborate on how the council members/Adkins dealt with the Byrd family as was mentioned?

-------------
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.

Date Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 10:39am
What about code violations at the historical society building on S Main?
Rose Furniture?
Old MJ building?
Studio theater?
So shine?

Date Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 11:04am
If you have 300 houses to demo then go do 299 of them until these people have a chance to sort this out. What's the rush on this one property!! Thank you Spider. I'm pretty sure there will be a law suit on this one. I think these people will have a lot of people to back them on this. I hope so. JMO

Date Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 11:13am
But…but…but…Spider we can’t talk about THOSE buildings because some are on Main Street and are very special.
This is nothing more than SELECTIVE CODE ENFORCEMENT.

Date Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 11:48am
I'm a little confused, if this house is part of the land bank demo's doesn't the city have to have possesion of the property. That clearly is not the case here.

Date Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 11:59am
Is there a place online that you can watch council meeting? I got rid Of TW and cant get council meeting on Dish.

Posted By: Mike_Presta
Date Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by LMAO LMAO wrote:

Is there a place online that you can watch council meeting? I got rid Of TW and cant get council meeting on Dish.
You can watch council meetings (not live, but usually beginning on the day after the meeting) on BLIP TV.  Here is the link:  http://blip.tv/tv-middletown" rel="nofollow - Scroll down to find the find the program or meeting that you want to see.

I hope that this helps.

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Date Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 5:02pm
The 4 amigos not only are "SPINELESS" they are heartless too.I hope the family hires a attorney and sues the hell out of this city.
Mr.Picard you saying that the gas station is a Blight site.You sir need to have your eyes check.
Mr.A sir you are the lowest of the lowest.
Did Mrs.Scott Jones leave cos she was pissed or she leave for other reasons?
I can not write what Iam really thinking of the "SPINELESS Ones" cos I would be banned but how they sleep at night has me puzzled.Angry

Date Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 5:07pm
If MS. Scott-Jones left out of digust for the behaviour of the the 5 others then I salute her!!

Date Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 7:59pm
Ok, just watched the opening segment of the council meeting with the Byrd's making their presentation. Ms. Byrd mentioned that they bought the house for $5000.00, then said the house was scheduled to be demolished. Don't understand. If the house was scheduled to be demolished, why was it up for sale? Seems like the Byrd's want to fix the place up. He claims to be a master craftsman in HVAC and other disciplines. I also don't understand why the city seems to be placing obstacles in front of them and seem unresponsive to people wanting to take a "fixer upper" and make it a viable home again. Have to hear the city's side of the story to judge fairly. Unfortunately, I didn't hear Adkins, the city manager, nor any official (I assume he was there to hear the Byrd's story) make any comments in relation to the Byrd's claims. Also, incredibly, didn't hear one council person inquire about this and ask for explanations as to the actions of the city. What is wrong with the people who sit behind council's desk? I could have asked at least ten questions after the presentation, mostly related to Adkins stance and the city's reluctance to help these people. The picture I watched showed all council members sitting silently like toads on a log, with no emotion nor caring in their demeanor. If this had been a VIP or an ally of the city, you can bet they would have received the utmost attention. Get 'em all out of town.....now. They are incapable of serving the people.    Disgusting, smug, pompous, egotistical behavior from people who are suppose to be mature adults.

The Byrd's mentioned they have retained a lawyer. My wish is that they take the case as far as possible and are successful against the city. City leadership needs for life to be just a little more difficult because of their indifference. JMO

-------------
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.

Date Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 9:11pm
I'm with you VET, Dougie does not like to be told no. His arrogance is unbelievable. You need to watch the rest of the meeting so you can see the total disdain they express for these people. Dougie said they might set a presidence if they allow them additional time. Judy set a presidence when she allowed Doug to answer a citizen comment, so what's the big deal. It's all about his arrogance and wanting to "show" these people he's in charge. The law suit has been started, lets see how cocky he is in a few days.

Posted By: Bobbie
Date Posted: Mar 21 2013 at 9:35am
What I don't understand is why did the city not have a title search on this property.  Wouldn't that show the property was up for sherrif sale.  We all know the banks usually buy the property back to resale.  A little diligence on their part and this would not have happened.  Here is a couple that fell on hard times, and are working to get their life back on track, and they want to take advantage of them.  This is wrong, no matter how the city puts it - I hope the city is taken to the cleaners on this one.

Posted By: Richard Saunders
Date Posted: Mar 21 2013 at 6:58pm
According to Mr. Adkins, it sounds like the City's criteria for demolition is whether or not it would cost more to restore a property than it is now worth.

I wonder why the Sorg Opera House, the Sorg Mansion, The Manchester Inn, the Historical Society Building, et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseum, have not seen the wrecking ball yet?

There is even one building on South Main Street whose owners want to demolish it, but the "Historic Commission" won't allow them to do so and instead is trying to force them to restore it!

Go figure.

Date Posted: Mar 21 2013 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Richard Saunders Richard Saunders wrote:

According to Mr. Adkins, it sounds like the City's criteria for demolition is whether or not it would cost more to restore a property than it is now worth.

I wonder why the Sorg Opera House, the Sorg Mansion, The Manchester Inn, the Historical Society Building, et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseum, have not seen the wrecking ball yet?

There is even one building on South Main Street whose owners want to demolish it, but the "Historic Commission" won't allow them to do so and instead is trying to force them to restore it!

Go figure.

If the Historic Commission (AKA MainStreet Snobs) will get there way.They got there Purty Lights compliment of the "tax payers."
Im still in disbelief on how cold hearted  those that voted to move forward are.As someone mention above,Mr.A sure dont like to be told NO.
Another thing that has me puzzled is when the discussion was going on Mrs.Queen Bee and Humpty Dumpty Les Sit there silently Seems When Mrs.Scott Jones asked if she could ask a question to the Byrds Les just sat there.Kind of odd,he is the City Attorney.Confused

Posted By: viper771
Date Posted: Mar 22 2013 at 3:40am
This is the guy everyone on here is defending by the way.....It doesn't surprise me that nobody here even bothered to mention this...They can go ahead and tear his fing house down. It really has nothing to do with the city. It is between these trashy people and the bank.

http://www.icrimewatch.net/offenderdetails.php?OfndrID=1567594&AgencyID=55149" rel="nofollow - http://www.icrimewatch.net/offenderdetails.php?OfndrID=1567594&AgencyID=55149

Date Posted: Mar 22 2013 at 8:32am
Viper I am not defending anyone on here.  I am just saying the city isn't doing what is right.  I was always taught 2 wrongs never make a right - so is it right for the city to the wrong thing?  NO

I will be the first to say, quit animal testing, and use convicted sex offenders.  But you cant make a decision based on this on his past - some type of discrimination and potential lawsuit.  Really I would hate to see an individual walk away with a million of our tax dollars because our council acted stupid. 

Date Posted: Mar 22 2013 at 9:08am
The city didn't do anything wrong... that is just it. The city was in full compliance with all the laws in place, which is what D. Adkins was trying to say. There was a length of time for someone to make an appeal if there is a demo order put on a property (I think 90 days). That time came and went by the time these people bought the house.  If these ppl were able to buy the house from the bank (who would have known full well what was going on with the demo orders), it isn't a city matter. The city is not at fault. They need to sue the freaking bank who sold them a house that was going to be demoed. It is a fraud matter between these ppl and the bank, or it could even just be a matter of ignorance on the part of the owners. I don't know if I could even trust what a convicted child predator was telling me.... so I really don't buy his sad sob story. Here is another question to consider... of the council members that did not want to move forward with the demo... do you think they actually knew this guy was a sex offender?

Date Posted: Mar 22 2013 at 9:32am
Viper - I also know alot about real estate law.  The city would have to do a title search - they would see this house was scheduled for foreclosure.  If they notified a owner it may not have been the same owner during the 90 day window.  There fore the owner of the property may not have known it was to be demolished when it was sold to this couple.  I am not saying they are or are not in their legal guidelines for disclosure -  but why would you put yourself in the middle of a lawsuit.  Which in turn will keep the property from being demolished at the scheduled time anyway.  Any good lawyer would get this stopped. 

Sometimes using a little common sense goes a long way.  Such as delay, and see if they bring it up to code. The city has a potential lawsuit on there hands, and they really can not afford to part with any more money. 

To be honest with you - do you expect that Adkins would say any different then they were in compliance with the law.  Last time I checked in any court room there is always 2 attorneys battling out saying they are right - but it turns out one is always wrong.  Did Adkins ever say he notified the bank the property was to be torn down or did he say he notified the owner (which could have been the individual that lost it in foreclosure).  In this case - the bank probably did not know. 

Date Posted: Mar 22 2013 at 10:59am
Originally posted by viper771 viper771 wrote:

The city didn't do anything wrong... that is just it. The city was in full compliance with all the laws in place, which is what D. Adkins was trying to say. There was a length of time for someone to make an appeal if there is a demo order put on a property (I think 90 days). That time came and went by the time these people bought the house.  If these ppl were able to buy the house from the bank (who would have known full well what was going on with the demo orders), it isn't a city matter. The city is not at fault. They need to sue the freaking bank who sold them a house that was going to be demoed. It is a fraud matter between these ppl and the bank, or it could even just be a matter of ignorance on the part of the owners. I don't know if I could even trust what a convicted child predator was telling me.... so I really don't buy his sad sob story. Here is another question to consider... of the council members that did not want to move forward with the demo... do you think they actually knew this guy was a sex offender?

Whats does this guys pass got to do with anything? Why is the city not willing to give them lets say 30 days to make the repairs or even better let them show the city they have the money to bring the property up to compliance instead of setting the city up for a lawsuit?I can answer that,cos Most of are leaders are heartless,Spineless and just plane stupid.Smile

Posted By: bumper
Date Posted: Mar 22 2013 at 11:21am
what this man did was wrong, i can't see where he can do much harm if its true his hands are ooo smashed,well DESERVED!! ouch that had to hurt... but i believe his sister is the one that got the place ,she does not look like a crack head,Heroin junkie,  walmart thieve, air conditioner hocker,   if they dont give this lady a chance!!! then ones that say they are moving forward should live a burning life in hell.!! IMO heck i have 6 within a mile of me but im not skerred!! you can put in any address you want, in any city within miles and their there, glad to see more and more women buying and getting their ccw, thats not good news for the rapist.

Posted By: Pacman
Date Posted: Mar 22 2013 at 7:12pm
A Simple title search would have taken care of this problem instead of taking shortcuts.

PacmanCool

Date Posted: Mar 22 2013 at 9:32pm
And the city did do a title search actually. 

Date Posted: Mar 23 2013 at 3:33pm
The Buyer should be doing the title search.  If the buyerfailed to invest in a title search and title insurance then that is his problem and he should suffer the consequences.

PacmanCool

Date Posted: Mar 23 2013 at 5:51pm
Viper if you know so much about this, why dont you tell us.  Did the city notify the bank that owned the property or the individuals that lost the property?

Did they put signs up stating the property was going to be torn down? Condemned signs? 

In my opinion the only thing you have shown is the city not wanting to do the right thing because of this individuals past - which many here agree is not a valid point to do the wrong thing?

Title search by the buyers would not show that the house was to be torn down it would show they house was purchased by the bank - but there were would be no disclosure on a title search stating the cities intension to destroy the property.

Date Posted: Mar 23 2013 at 7:37pm
First of all, what Pacman said is exactly right. Second, the city did put signs up on the property. I believe D. Adkins actually says this during the council meeting. 

The city is doing right thing by going ahead and tearing the house down bec the city did everything on their end legal wise. All that stuff was done 2 weeks before these people bought the house in the first place. 

The whole part of Mr. Byrds past tells us this... The guy has no credibility. It is as simple as that. I mean it is bad enough that the guy is a Tier III predator. If his hands were crushed that badly by a forklift (which that story sounds odd in itself), how is he able to make such "smooth looking" gestures during the council meeting? 

It would be the banks responsibility to DISCLOSE if the property was going to be demolished. This is why I said the foul play is between the bank and these people... not the city. You should ask the council members that wanted to stop the house from being demoed if they read their pre meeting briefing packet and had any idea what was really going on. I know that they like to cater to the MUSA crowd a lot. So I would say go ahead and ask them...

Date Posted: Mar 23 2013 at 8:27pm
Pac man is right , they should have invested in a title search, but this would not tell them it was scheduled by the city to destroy. I am betting that title insurance would not cover their loss either.   If they did put signs up, then they should not have bought it. Based on watching Adkins on the Section 8 fiasco, cant say I believe everything he says.  I am just stating if  you have the opportunity to avoid a lawsuit get a house up to par, move the funds to another property that should be demolished, wouldnt that make sense.  But we are dealing with city employees, and they tend to not use common sense. 
2nd - I dont think council caters to MUSA - if so, we would not have lights going up on Main Street.  They cater to themselves.

Date Posted: Mar 23 2013 at 8:36pm
Well a couple of members on council do cater to the MUSA crowd.. and the street light issue is a whole other topic.

And what if the same thing happens again with another house that is to be demoed? Are the owners going to boo hoo about the demo so it stopped again? That is what D. Adkins was talking about and how it will really open a can of worms in the process of getting rid of a lot of blighted homes.

Date Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 8:17am
Well, it looks like the Section 8 fiasco between the city and HUD is going to hit the fan. Journal story...

Housing expert says city is ‘playing with fire’
Section 8’s watershed moment with HUD will play a part in determining the city’s future

MIDDLETOWN — Cutting 60 percent of Middletown’s existing Section 8 housing vouchers would be reckless and could cost the city millions of dollars in funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, low-income and housing experts say.
City officials plan to eliminate 1,008 Section 8 vouchers through attrition in the next five years. They say Middletown is over-saturated with subsidized housing that is taxing city services, generating crime and negatively impacting the city’s image. Middletown has the highest rate of subsidized housing in the state at 9.7 percent.

"GENERATNG CRIME, TAXING CITY SERVICES AND NEGATIVELY IMPACTING THE CITY IMAGE"......GEE, WHAT DID THEY THINK WOULD HAPPEN? AND HOW LONG AGO HAVE WE BEEN SAYING THIS?...AND IT TOOK THEM UNTIL NOW TO REALIZE THIS? YA KNOW, THIS GROUP OF CITY OFFICIALS AREN'T THE BRIGHTEST BULBS IN THE PACK, ARE THEY?

But city officials recently sent HUD a letter refusing to back down from their position.

Elizabeth Brown, executive director of Housing Opportunities Made Equal, a Cincinnati-based housing rights organization, said Middletown officials are “playing with fire if they continue to thumb their noses at HUD.”

Brown said HUD has the ability to cut off all of its Community Development Block Grant funds if the agency believes Middletown is not being fair with its voucher program. Middletown is slated to receive $1.4 million in CDBG funds this year, according to city records.
She said she has talked with HUD after hearing about the city’s plans and that the agency is “extremely upset with Middletown.”

Middletown had less than 800 Section 8 housing vouchers in December 1999, but that figure more than doubled by October 2005. City officials placed a moratorium on accepting additional subsidized housing vouchers in 2005 in an effort to stop single-family homes from being transformed into multi-family residences.
A 2005 staff report on the moratorium stated: “A major concern expressed in the master plan is the trend towards higher renter occupancy in formerly owner-occupied neighborhoods. This trend has been coupled with disinvestment in the same neighborhoods.”
Butler County Treasurer Nancy Nix, who served on Middletown City Council when the moratorium was introduced, said it’s “anybody’s guess” what will happen if Middletown is allowed to reduce the total number of vouchers to 654.
“I hope that (HUD) would understand that we are out of balance and let us reduce it to a reasonable amount,” Nix said. “There is no reason that Middletown should be the Section 8 capital of the state. It’s a continued strain on our services, and it hinders our progress to be a more vibrant community.”

THANKS NIX. WE REALIZED THE BALANCE THING AND BEING THE SECTION 8 CAPITAL OF OHIO YEARS AGO, BUT IT'S GOOD THAT YOU REAFFIRMED THAT. OH, BY THE WAY, WHEN YOU SAT ON COUNCIL AT THIS TIME AND SAW THE SECTION 8 SURGE DOUBLE, WHAT WERE YOU AND THE OTHER COUNCIL MEMBERS THINKING?

Brown said Middletown needs to concentrate on economic development, bringing in new businesses with new jobs, and the city’s 23 percent poverty rate will drop.
“That’s where their time and energy should be,” she said.

AHAH! "BRINGING IN NEW BUSINESS/JOBS AND CONCENTRATING ON ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT" IS WHAT MIDDLETOWN OUGHT TO BE DOING.......WELL, I BELIEVE SOME OF US HAVE ALSO BEEN SUGGESTING DOING JUST THAT THE LAST 10 YEARS OR SO. NO ONE LISTENING THOUGH.

-------------

Date Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 11:34am

But city officials recently sent HUD a letter refusing to back down from their position.

Elizabeth Brown, executive director of Housing Opportunities Made Equal, a Cincinnati-based housing rights organization, said
Middletown officials are “playing with fire if they continue to thumb their noses at HUD.”

Brown said HUD has the ability to
cut off all of its Community Development Block Grant funds if the agency believes Middletown is not being fair with its voucher program. Middletown is slated to receive $1.4 million in CDBG funds this year, according to city records.
She said she has talked with HUD after hearing about the city’s plans and that the agency is “extremely upset with
Middletown.”

Brown said
Middletown needs to concentrate on economic development, bringing in new businesses with new jobs, and the city’s 23 percent poverty rate will drop.

But..but..but Mr. Adkins has assured us that he will have more than enough time to spend ALL THE HUD FUNDS that he has been stashing away over the past several years before HUD pulls the plug on the all this free money.

As I have stated numerous times over the past 4 years the CDBG Funds have not been used in the areas of greatest need.

Date Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 2:00pm
Section 8--HUD-- crime--poverty--jobs--properties--demos--giveaways--streets--priorities

seems like everyone around gets it except for Council and Admin
Their circling of the wagons seems to get tighter every day, while total refusal to smell the coffee and get the big picture.
Could everyone be wrong but them? Possile--unlikely

The continued 30-year focus/favoritism/spending in one struggling area has begun to show the strain elsewhere
The entire city is suffering from neglect

When Middletown29 and his cronies championed moving the dedicated road improvement funds into the general fund, they surely had no idea that our streets would be completely de-prioritized and neglected.

I believe in wht Mr.A is doing fundamentally, and if we lose or have to re-pay govt.funding, then so be it. Whatever it takes to break this grip of poverty/stress.

Be very interesting to see how it plays out.

Date Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Well, it looks like the Section 8 fiasco between the city and HUD is going to hit the fan. Journal story...

Elizabeth Brown, executive director of Housing Opportunities Made Equal, a Cincinnati-based housing rights organization, said Middletown officials are “playing with fire if they continue to thumb their noses at HUD.”

Of course she's going to say this.  Her livelihood depends on these types of programs.  Of course she wants us to believe that Middletown is wrong in their approach.

I want to see hard facts on this notion that Section 8 voucher holders are generational Middletonians. 

From what I understand, the goal of the increase was to help with the decline of housing stock, not to serve a need of a population.

Date Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 3:14pm
Nice understanding of the situation
Total agreement here, though it will not be decided by your or my thinking

Date Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 4:02pm

Brown said Middletown needs to concentrate on economic development, bringing in new businesses with new jobs, and the city’s 23 percent poverty rate will drop.

What Housing Expert Ms. Brown fails to state is that even if/as new jobs are brought to the city, the number of vouchers remains the same.

As people become more upwardly mobile, their desire for higher quality housing stock grows.  

While economic growth is important, it doesn't solve the # of voucher problem.  

I'm all for helping those who can't help themselves---the low income elderly, the disabled.  

But something has to be done about this "generational" curse in Middletown.

Posted By: Bill
Date Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 4:34pm
Professional shills like Mrs. Brown should not be listened to.  Does anyone believe the nonsense that the iincrease in Sec 8 was for generations of Middletonians?  Did we have an explosion in births at Midd Hospital in the last 15 years resulting in the increase in vouchers?
HUD, Butler County, and the state of Ohio had to be ecstatic when Midd decided to increase our vouchers.  Like a sticky flytrap this city decided to attract all the residents that other communities did not want. 

Date Posted: Mar 24 2013 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

Of course she's going to say this.  Her livelihood depends on these types of programs.  Of course she wants us to believe that Middletown is wrong in their approach.

I want to see hard facts on this notion that Section 8 voucher holders are generational Middletonians. 

From what I understand, the goal of the increase was to help with the decline of housing stock, not to serve a need of a population.

SWOHIO75..... ONLY THE FIRST LINE OF YOUR QUOTE IS MINE. CHECK THE STORY AGAIN. I DID NOT SAY, NOR SHOULD I BE QUOTED THE LINES PERTAINING TO BROWN. IF YOU READ IT AGAIN, IT IS PART OF THE STORYLINE FROM THE REPORTER. I MERELY COPIED THE STORY. NOT MY THOUGHTS. NOT MY WORDS.

-------------

Date Posted: Mar 25 2013 at 4:15am

Gentlemen

Did you know that 41% of all births in the US are to unwed mothers?

We have uneducated young girls having babies.
We have young boys who haven’t graduated who can’t find jobs to help support these babies.
These are the new faces of poverty in our country.

SWOhio

The increase in vouchers was to fill the empty houses, increase the population and fill the coffers of City Hall. The higher the poverty level the more FREE HUD FUNDING you can get…

Date Posted: Mar 25 2013 at 6:26am
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE????

Today's Journal story....

Residents upset over scheduled demolition of recently-purchased home

MIDDLETOWN —
Charles and Chire Byrd had barely started fixing up the Glenwood Avenue home they thought they’d bought for $5,000 earlier this month when city officials “kicked in the door” on March 15.

The siblings were surprised to discover that the home had been declared a blight and was put on the city’s demolition list in January.

HOW CAN A HOME BE ON THE MARKET FOR PURCHASE IN MARCH WHEN IT HAD BEEN PLACED ON THE DEMO LIST IN JANUARY???? WHO WOULD HAVE DONE THE CLOSING ON THIS WHEN THE HOUSE WAS CONDEMNED?

The Glenwood Avenue home was purchased by Fannie Mae for $24,400 in May 2012 and then Home America, a California-based company, acquired it for $1,000 in August 2012

Because of its poor condition, the city determined on Jan. 7 that the house should be torn down and a demolition order was posted on Jan. 9. Home America, any lien holder, or anyone interested in buying the home had until Jan. 29 to file an appeal, but no one did.

The Byrds began the process of buying the house from Home America in early March, but were unaware it was slated for demolition. They became the official owners of the property March 21

IF HOME AMERICA KNEW OF THE DEMOLITION ORDER FOR THE PROPERTY, HOW COULD THEY HAVE SOLD IT TO THE BYRD'S? SOUNDS LIKE FRAUD ON THE PART OF HOME AMERICA, DOESN'T IT? HOW CAN A COMPANY KNOWINGLY SELL A DEMO LIST HOME TO ANOTHER CLIENT?

Scott Meier, operations manager for Home America, said the building was sold “as is” and believes his company was upfront with the Byrds. ( "AS IS" MEANING DEMO LISTED)- A MISREPRESENTATION OF THE FACTS BY MEIER.

“We tell people to check things out before you buy,” Meier said. “This is an as-is purchase, and we encourage you to go out and to look at the the property, make as many calls as you want, call the city, call the county, check things out before you buy it, because you’re buying an as-is.”

WHAT? BUY "AS IS"? A HOME THAT WAS TO BE DEMOLISHED IS A "BUY AS IS"? SCOTT MEIER AND HOME AMERICA NEED TO BE PROSECUTED I BELIEVE. WASN'T NOTIFYING THE BYRD'S OF THE PROPERTY STATUS PARAMOUNT HERE? WHY WAS THIS PROPERTY EVEN OFFERED?

Chire Byrd said she does not want to file any action against Home America because they want the house

BUT THEY COMMITTED FRAUD HERE CHIRE. PROSECUTE THEM. THEY TOOK YOUR MONEY ON A BOGUS DEAL.

??? WHY WOULD HOME AMERICA WANT A HOUSE THAT IS TO BE TORN DOWN? DOES THIS MAKE SENSE TO ANY OF YOU FOLKS?

Vice Mayor Dan Picard voted to move ahead with the demolition, but stated if there was some type of court action preventing the city from moving forward, “I might be of a different opinion.”

IF THE COURTS PREVENTED ACTION FROM THE CITY, DANNY, YOU PRETTY MUCH HAVE TO BE OF A DIFFERENT OPINION. IT'S NO LONGER YOUR CALL.

Charles Byrd said he simply wants a home for his family in Middletown.

“Isn’t that what it’s supposed to be about?” he said. “People moving into a house, keeping it nice, fixing it up. That’s what I want to do. This is my town, I love Middletown

CHARLES REALLY LIKES MIDDLETOWN AS HE HAS EXPRESSED THIS MANY TIMES.

-------------

Date Posted: Mar 26 2013 at 11:29am
Hit the news last night on channel 5. 

Date Posted: Mar 26 2013 at 12:05pm
There is more to this story......More to Charles' story...

Date Posted: Mar 26 2013 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

There is more to this story......More to Charles' story...

Gotta feeling we've all heard all that will be offered from the media. SWOHIO, please tell us what they have failed to report.

-------------

Date Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 5:41am
Posted: 6:31 p.m. Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Bill calls for people receiving assistance to have drug test

CHARLOTTE, N.C. —

A new proposal could mean people seeking public assistance in North Carolina may have to pay for it by giving up their privacy.

“I think that's crazy,” said Erica Hooper.

Before you receive a dime in public money, the bill would require you to take a drug test and if you fail the test, you'd be required to undergo treatment.

“Wow. To me that's quite extreme,” said Sharell Watson.

Some people say it's fair that if you want government aid, you should follow government rules.

“If you are able to go out and do things that are hindering you from being able to work and take care of yourself,  then you have no business asking for help from anyone else,” said Robert McDaniel.

On the opposing side, Jennifer Rudinger, head of the American Civil Liberties Union calls it "not only a violation of an individual's constitutional rights, but notoriously ineffective."

Watson agrees saying help should not come with conditions.

“They're supposed to be able to help everybody. Even if they are homeless or on drugs, that's what the assistance is for -- to help them out and to get them on their feet,” Watson said.

Others are on the fence saying give people aid but don't allow them to abuse it.

“They should get help, but not in that way. If they plan to continue to do what they're doing.  They should go to a rehab if they really want help,” said Catie Godrey.

A similar law passed in Florida actually cost the state more money to pay for those drug tests than it would've paid out to welfare recipients on drugs.

Only about 2.5 percent of applicants tested positive for drugs.

Posted By: TonyB
Date Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 8:23am
Is there any wonder why we have such a budget deficit and public debt when we demand that the state pay millions to save thousands? Look at this program in the state of Florida: spent over $100 million to save $600 thousand. What may sound like a reasonable idea is, in fact, a state funded giveaway to private testing companies. There has to be a better method.

Date Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 9:09am
Originally posted by TonyB TonyB wrote:

Is there any wonder why we have such a budget deficit and public debt when we demand that the state pay millions to save thousands? Look at this program in the state of Florida: spent over $100 million to save $600 thousand. What may sound like a reasonable idea is, in fact, a state funded giveaway to private testing companies. There has to be a better method.

Better method?

Give the people who are applying for assistance a list of approved drug testing facilities. Have the facility doctor review/sign off on the results and forward to the Section 8 people for their records. Have the applicant pay for the test at the time of the test. If they really want the taxpayer to foot the bill, then they should have no problem affording the testing fee and not whine about it. The testing should be scheduled without notice and at different intervals. If they are given a test date, they have time to purge. Can't allow that. No state funds used.....only potential participants money is allowed. No pay-no passing the test-no housing. People don't have the money you say? Tough. Get it if you want to qualify. Enough coddling.

Some.....some people looking for a handout have alot of nerve thinking they "deserve" this service with no commitment. Wrong.   

-------------

Date Posted: Mar 29 2013 at 8:34am
with my CDL lic. i had to wiss in the cup for almost 20 years, didn't like it but to get my $$$ at the end of the week, just had to do it, my problem with it there was only around 50 of us with the CDL'S that got the random every three months,BUT all the office people did not have to go thru the drug testing,just thought it was wrong.. first they started % wise of around 20 of us at a time, if anyone got positive the % taken text time there would be more, darn seem like i would get chosen every darn time LOL one time they did it 30 min before quiting time, didnt have to wiss then, got an hour overtime out of them, so they stopped pulling that crap at that time of dayLOL  the ones that got caught positive were given 6 weeks off without pay and insur,it cost these guys alot of $$$ to rehab then if you did the class you could return then if you came up dirty again (YOUR FIRED) man there was a few that got fired, all i could think was how stupid can you be to lose a good paying job over drugs. Wacko then what would really wiss me off was seeing many that did not work for $$$ and see-em early in the morn drinking their BUD, smoking their dope on the front pouch all day and night, and thought darn im out here working so you all can live this way for nothing, just thought it was plum wrong..so what im thinking still today if you want a roof over your head and food in your belly you will take that damn drug test at any given time to have that roof and food.. but i also believe we need to help the young that want help..the ones that dont want help will allways be out there taking their chances and stealing, mugging, doping their way thru life, what a waste... 

Posted By: Mike_Presta
Date Posted: Mar 29 2013 at 2:37pm
Bumper,

If what you say is true, it sounds to me as if your company's drug testing program is flawed.

A proper drug testing program should include pre-employment testing for ALL employees.  Likewise, ALL employees (including management and administrative staff) should be included in the sampling of employees to be tested at random.

Are you certain that the "office people" did not have to test?  If drivers were brought in all at once for testing, perhaps the office staff either got tested first (or last) and just stayed at their work stations while non-office personnel were tested in order to get them (the drivers, for example) in and out quicker?  

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Date Posted: Mar 29 2013 at 3:19pm
Can someone tell me does Fenwick have a fish fry today? Time and place?

Date Posted: Mar 29 2013 at 8:01pm
the office did have pre-employment testing but never random..so IMO yes it was flawed..it was saving them money..

Posted By: chrie
Date Posted: Apr 07 2013 at 7:03am
i work 40 to 60 hours a week as an assistant manager i also used to drive a box truck for lance inc before i lost my job 6/5/2010 my father was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer on 2/16 of that year he passed on 7/28/10 at hospice I dont know about you but it still hurts he apologized to me because we were poor i looked at him stating we are richer than most as we have each other Smile and promised giving my word that i will help take care of my mother and little brother! Now for at least my generation i know a person is only as good as their word and as far as the house there was NO city signs on any doors or windows!!! the only signs 2 by the way were from home america if mr adkins would have called the # on them he would have had the correct address for the company that sold the home and as far as my brother he admits he made some mistakes when he was younger who hasnt just some are worse than others it was 30 + years ago and also do you realize he has never failed to register unlike alot and has not even had a speeding ticket or seat belt ticket since his release and i want to say thank you to all the ones pulling for us all i know to do is keep my word my head high and do the best i can also an fyi the city gives 20 days not 90 if they gave 90 this would not be an issue as we would have fallen into that time frame and applause to those who understand and have humanity Clap

Date Posted: Apr 07 2013 at 7:11am
also forgot to mention my home at 652 auburn st was arsoned on 9/20/2010 never found out by whom all this is in referance to 1710 glenwood the byrds and the concil meeting on 3/19/13 and 4/2/13 as to the rats yeah right ask an exterminator rats and mice as well as roaches leave droppings where they walk THERE ISNT ANY LOL

Posted By: AKBobby
Date Posted: Apr 07 2013 at 9:25am
just ask the cops and firemen what they think about section 8 in Middletown. They will tell you it totally drains their services and time handling more important issues. Also they will tell you that it has brought an element into the city that isn't good for Middletown at all. The front line workers are the ones who deal with it every day and they will tell you it has killed this city.

Date Posted: Apr 11 2013 at 11:40am
thank you vivian we go to court on 4/18 at 9 am in butler co court  hopefully things go good i just dont understand though they want to reduce govt housing so why dont they let our citizens purchuse these low $ homes to rehap then they will own maintaian and pay property taxes would that not be more benificial to ones pride and self worth as well as more $ for the city just sayin Smile

Date Posted: Apr 11 2013 at 5:23pm
There are soo many of these homes available in middletown, I don't see a rush of people buying/rehabing for themselves.  I wonder why? ...

Nevermind, I know why.

Date Posted: Apr 12 2013 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by bumper bumper wrote:

what this man did was wrong, i can't see where he can do much harm if its true his hands are ooo smashed,well DESERVED!! ouch that had to hurt... but i believe his sister is the one that got the place ,she does not look like a crack head,Heroin junkie,  walmart thieve, air conditioner hocker,   if they dont give this lady a chance!!! then ones that say they are moving forward should live a burning life in hell.!! IMO heck i have 6 within a mile of me but im not skerred!! you can put in any address you want, in any city within miles and their there, glad to see more and more women buying and getting their ccw, thats not good news for the rapist.

Date Posted: Apr 12 2013 at 7:22pm
thank you bumper and he has always registered with the correct information anyone can make a mistake it is what they do from that point on at least thats what i was always told he has not even had a speeding ticket since his release and anyone its a good idea to get and use ccw ! ( before they take that right away too ) I rember my grandmother tellin me how alot of the homes in home acers were built by people who came here to work in the factorys ( my grandfather carl carver worked at sorg paper ) when they built their first home Smile

Date Posted: Apr 12 2013 at 7:38pm
how do you truley know for sure with out giving it a chance and not to sound bad i am talking about people who are low income and can not get a convintinal loan you know at least 10000 a year in earned income I really think you would be surprised but lets even say put a cap on the purchuses only 1 per family or person and if you make 40000+ you are not eligable to keep out slum lords and reduce the need for gov housing and bring us back to when you can do it trust me roofing ,dry wall,and plubing is not that hard however I always have my electrician on hand I aint doin that not even a switch plateLOL

Date Posted: Apr 13 2013 at 1:03am
Originally posted by chrie chrie wrote:

how do you truley know for sure with out giving it a chance and not to sound bad i am talking about people who are low income and can not get a convintinal loan you know at least 10000 a year in earned income I really think you would be surprised but lets even say put a cap on the purchuses only 1 per family or person and if you make 40000+ you are not eligable to keep out slum lords and reduce the need for gov housing and bring us back to when you can do it trust me roofing ,dry wall,and plubing is not that hard however I always have my electrician on hand I aint doin that not even a switch plateLOL

Only thing is that it takes money to re hab a house and most the people that would be living in them cant afford to bring them up to snuff. Middletown has slim chance of ever being what it once was and if it ever does it will take many years and a lot more then just restaurant jobs.

Print Page | Close Window