Print Page | Close Window

Please Run For City Council

Printed From: MiddletownUSA.com
Category: Middletown City Government
Forum Name: City Council
Forum Description: Discuss individual members and council as a legislative body.
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5394
Printed Date: Apr 25 2024 at 12:42pm

Topic: Please Run For City Council
Posted By: Paul Nagy
Subject: Please Run For City Council
Date Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 5:11am

Please Run For City Council!

Today is Wednesday, July 31, 2013.  There are only 27 days for you to pull a petition to get on the ballot as a candidate for City Council in November’s election.  Get 50 good signatures on it and get certified.  Get 100 to 150 signatures to make sure you have 50 good ones. It will only cost you $45.00.  You do this by going to The Board of Elections Office  in Hamilton. The staff is very courteous and will help you with all of your questions. So, if you can make life better for others and have integrity please, please,  pull a petition and run for office.  We must not let things go as they are and we must not let incumbents run unopposed. It is time to stand up and be counted! 

Dan Picard, Ann Mort and  Joshua Laubach have all  filed. All three have been part of the council that has brought the city of Middletown to where it  is.  Are you satisfied with where our city is? If you are then you are deceived. They will probably be put back on Council if you don’t rise up and defeat them at the polls. Although they are nice people, they, and the rest of Council, have been terrible representatives for our city. We are getting like Detroit unless we quickly reverse our course and change our image. There is nothing left  to fight for. Our city is in shambles and for all practical purposes there is nothing left.  However, you can run and fight for the future of our city and for its citizens that have been ignored, insulted and have paid the price of lowered property values and higher taxes .

The Board of Elections website shows that John Jackson pulled a petition.  Dora Bronson, whom I cannot in good conscience, recommend to anyone,  for a position on Council, has also pulled a petition. 

If you run, you will want to propose some alternatives to turn the city around and put it on a solid foundation. You will have to get the other Council members to agree with your views or by your vote let the citizens know your opposition to all decisions that are not in the best interest of the city and its citizens. You will need to believe that our city can be turned around and have the ideas and determination to persuade the citizens and the rest of Council to map out a plan to turn it around. You must be persistent in selling our city as an opportunity for present and future economic growth.

You will need to educate the voters as to What Is Wrong. The opposition will accuse you of being negative because you are pointing out our disasters.  You will need to educate the voters as to What We Need To Do To Change Our Course.  The opposition will spend any amount of money to belittle you and stop your efforts if they interfere with their special interests and projects that only serve and benefit a few selected people.  Remember, their main interest is to have all of the power and control all of the money.

What Is Wrong? There is not enough room here to state all that is wrong but let’s name a few things.

1.       Unemployment. We need Jobs! Jobs! Jobs. This has not been  and is not now a major golof the current Administration.

2.       Our roads are in terrible shape. The patch work being done is too little, too late. Where has all of the money gone that was to be set aside for our roads? Someone needs to be held accountable. What is the current plan in detail to get our city streets where they should be?

3.       Our sewer system is about to bring us into financial disaster. Any serious effort to bring it where it should be has been ignored. The Administration has played games with the funding until we recently

got someone to head the department who takes it seriously.

4.       The Historic Commission is useless and out of control. They have illegal authority over the whole city. This authority was given to them while there were  FOUR attorneys combined on Council and in  the Administration that let the illegal document be passed without any opposition except by those on this forum.  We are told it was written by someone in the Administration who is not an attorney. The attorney’s should be totally embarrassed and should correct the city document immediatel;y.

5.       MMF should be publicly abolished and reprimanded for their continued clandestine illegal political involvement. Their story about there being two different MMF organizations was a  cover-up. They should not receive any further funding and should return the recent gift of $75,000 to the city immediately. Members of the City Council and the Administration that sit on that Board are on two sides of any contracts engaged in by MMF and that is and has been a blatant conflict of interest and only serves special interests.

6.       We need to reduce our bureaucracy. A huge portion of our city government does not live in Middletown. Those that do are intimidated to do the will of the Administration even when its wrong. There is a lot of discontent with their bosses. Council should admit the terrible decisions that have been made by the Administration and hold the responsible parties accountable and fire them and replace them at more reasonable salaries with competent people who have some integrity. Those needing to be fired immediately are Judy Gilliland, Marty Kholer, Les Landen and Doug Adkins. Council has done nothing but sing their praises for putting the city in the negative situation we find ourselves. Another reason why Council needs to be replaced.

7.       We need to get the city out of the real estate business. It is obvious that Council and the Administration don’t know what they are doing here. The abuse and misappropriation of HUD funds has for years been a constant source of confusion. It started with Ginger Smith. Things got so bad that their were several law suits. They then went to the city prosecutors office and hired Doug Adkins. They needed an attorney to straighten out the law suits  not the real estate matters. They kept him on at a huge salary and he and the administration have had controversy over every effort they have engaged in. To wit: MPHA, Section 8 housing, HUD. At first they refused to reduce the Section 8 vouchers when we were all pointing out the disaster it was. But they were wanting the support of landlords and the money. Now it is totally out of control and HUD has stepped in. It gives us another black eye to our city image. Doug Adkins has proved to be an obnoxious bully and is not appreciated by the citizens who pay his salary. The fiasco over the building purchases from the Perry Thatcher estate and for Cincinnati State is another great disaster. Although it’s good to have  Cincinnati  State here  it will never have any serious impact to equal that of Miami University.

8.       The Downtown effort is a joke at the expense of the taxpayers. It is typical of the amateurish way the Administration does things. It demonstrates their philosophy of  the City of Middletown. In light of the downsizing of  AK Steel they want to tear down buildings without any overall plan. Demolishing buildings must be done to some extent when a Steel Company leaves a city. History is replete with it. But what do you do with the properties and how do you afford  and where do you get the man power to reduce the vacancies ?  The most sensible way is to keep the city out of the Real Estate business. They have proven that they don’t know anything about it. They don’t have the work force to handle it and the city can’t afford it. The fact is, the city should turn these properties over to professional real estate brokers who have the expertise to sell the properties to the right people looking for such properties and pay the real estate agents a reasonable commission. It would be a lot less costly and the image of the city presented to potential buyers would be much more positive.

The downtown effort is being done in such a way as to create a total negative image. The majority of the city resents putting millions of dollars and years of effort  into schemes that have not been productive. It has been done to the general neglect of the rest of the city and the few businesses that have remained and are toughening it out resent the neglect. Spider John has been eloquently spelling it out for along time.  This is a special interest project that favors a few people on the inside. It is an attempt to bring money in by the back door. The city needs to stop funding it and let those business people downtown carry t themselves and take the risks that every business person takes. We need to now make a major effort to grow the whole City not reduce it to 28,000 and make it a campus community. That is ridiculous. Grow the city and more revenue comes in and everyone benefits through the front door and not through back door deals. Work with State and the Fedreral government that has great interest in returning to manufacturing. Continue expanding the education and medical developments. Go after research and development opportunities. Then watch the shopping center, the Mall and downtown fill up.

Because of our strategic location what would happen if we changed the name of our city to MIDDLETOWN USA. I like the idea of made in the USA, especially made in MIDDLETOWN USA.

Please run for office.  It isn’t easy to run a city or a school system.  There are new people running for our school board. Please return Marcia Andrews to the school board. She has been the best thing that has happened to our school board in years. She does the work and doesn’t just posture. Also,

Please vote for Christi Delloma to be on the school board. She is a great achiever.

Due to age, health and other personal situations I can’t run again.   It’s too bad .  I believe with the votes and support you gave me in the last election I would have made it this time running at large.  Thank you for that support. So, I’m encouraging you to run for office. Somewhere out there are some talented and able leaders. Please run and represent the thousands that have been used and ignored in our city for so long. Answer with the best that’s in you.

Thank you.

Paul Nagy

Replies:
Posted By: VietVet
Date Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 6:46am
I concur Mr. Nagy. Been said many times on this forum that you can't get people off the couch to go vote. You can't get decent candidates to run because they either don't have the time, don't have the money, don't own their own business or have a position at work allowing them to take off for meetings(example-Larry Mulligan, Dan Picard), perhaps working shift work nullifying any chance of serving. Don't think they can win against the entrenched MMF sponsored puppet candidates. MMF is organized, have resources and a network block of strong voters who actually believe what MMF is doing is right for the city. Never has been enough "anti-MMF, anti-city leader" voters out there who are willing to overcome the MMF loving voter block. Just don't have the numbers at the polls to defeat any MMF sponsored candidate. Most in the city don't care enough to change it. The irony is that these same people who don't care enough to change it by cleaning house and voting for all new people, are the same ones who are always complaining about how pathetic the city is. Go figure. JMO

-------------
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.

Posted By: Perplexed
Date Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 9:28am
Thank you, Paul.  It's good to hear from you again and this post tells it like it really is.  I wish your wife and you the very, very best.  Many of us appreciate your previous efforts to run for elective office.

Date Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 4:21pm
Thank you for the kind words. You made my day. I hope some will step up to the plate and run for Council.
   pn

Posted By: Vivian Moon
Date Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 5:09pm
RECAP TIME AGAIN….
Ms Judy has stated that we will be short 1.5 million dollars
Moody Rating has been downgraded
Traffic Camera will no longer provide revenue to city coffers
Weather Wax continues to loose money
HUD will move Section 8 Program to Butler  County so another million
   dollars will leave the city coffers
Ms Judy wants a 2 million dollar bond to tear down more buildings in
   “THEIR DOWNTOWN”
Separation of Sewer will need a 200 million dollar bond
City Hall will continue to fund revitalization of downtown area
School Board will be looking for a levy to build the new schools while Mr.    
   Adkins continues to demo more properties removing them from the tax rolls.
Revenues and population continue to fall….
and we still have that pesky little problem of the police and fire departments.

How will the citizens of
Middletown be able to support these tax burdens?

Posted By: acclaro
Date Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 5:23pm
They won't, they will move.

Taxes and the problems you describe (add in the roads that need about $125 Mm or >), and you have a perfect storm of great decline, limited tax revenue, heavy burden on those behind, just causing a vacuum). This is exactly what happened in Detroit. People left Detroit, no influx in, outflow >, inflow <, no tax revenue= city bankruptcy.

City expenditures presently just to allow the "club" to shore up until they can get out, nothing more.

Why do you think AK execs, Atrium, Fenwick, Clark Schaeffer, others, moved out?

Why do you think the prominent residents here all their life moved out?

The city is in death grasp. A corner bistro called Stained, and "got art" doesn't save a city from itself.     

-------------
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill

Posted By: Neil Barille
Date Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 7:05pm
acclaro, what is the answer at this point?  I know you have espoused a 1% city tax to draw in business but IMO that won't accomplish much -- every municipality throws out tax abatements.  These companies all end up in Mason or WC anyway.  I wonder if we really have much developable land anyway.
And while city hall may have had bloated payrolls in the good ol' days, I don't see where there is much headcount to cut anymore.   is there any hope?

Date Posted: Jul 31 2013 at 10:29pm
Neil, in my opinion, no.

The population will shrink. Middle to higher income residents will move out. Arts, all the city activity, simply can't overcome the - image it has created. AK Steel is a concern for those with health problems and what may happen to them.

I see the city on the way to being Detroit. Its too late for action. People know the taxes are coming, and leaving.

Those with incomes just stay away.

I see no hope.  A rudderless ship....floundering, for 30 years or >. 

-------------
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill

Posted By: bumper
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 8:38am
is there any hope? as an outsider now I would have to say nope..

Posted By: ktf1179
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 9:27am
If AK Steel keeps loosing revenue there is always a chance they may just shut down the Middletown Plant.

Posted By: processor
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 12:08pm
KTF1179,  I don't think you have any worries that AK will shut down the Middletown Plant.  If they shut down Middletown they will go bankrupt in a hurry as this is their source for all of their carbon steel products plus it has nearly all of their coating lines.
AK may go bankrupt, but whoever buys them will continue to run Middletown.  It will be painful getting from here to there, but I would be shocked if the plant would shut down for very long.

Acclaro,  I actually agree with you that it is doubtful if Middletown can pull itself back up.  All of the government programs that city hall is trying just won't work and will likely make the situation worse.  Only private enterprise can pull it off and they won't invest because the risk is just too great compared with a few miles either side of the city.  Also our city officials really don't seem to have a clue how to attract and retain the businesses that they need.  However, I do give them credit for trying.

Posted By: LMAO
Date Posted: Aug 01 2013 at 12:20pm
I don't see this city ever coming back unless the people that are "Occupying" the seats all retire.Not only them Ms.Queen,Jester Les and Mr.Big(Mr.A)until they change there thinking about Downtown Middletucky its doomed.
I'm keeping my finger's and toe's crossed that I can sell the last of my properties to leave this exciting town.To much excitement for this old man.Big smileLOL

Posted By: Historic House Guy
Date Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 3:53pm
Why is it that some of the most vocally people on this forum don't stand up and run for City Council? There is a huge amount of negativity coming from this forum. Anyone who would even do some looking into investing in this area and found the comments here would most likely just turn away. In fact, that has happened. I found a thread on City Data where a gentleman was thinking of coming to Middletown with an AM radio station and when he posted here with the idea he was beaten down with negative remarks. Why in the hell would you do this?

Everyone seems to want to see Middletown bounce back but your public comments only serve to do the very opposite. Do you folks not see the damage you're doing to this city yourselves or are you too wound up with your disagreements with the current policies to realize what your own actions are doing?

Date Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 4:31pm
To answer your first question,I like many others before me is in the process is packing my stuff and getting out of this town.I'm about a month out selling my last property and leaving this "DEAD" city.So I cant run.You call it negativity some call it the "TRUTH".Ever hear that saying,Can't fight City Hall?You can fight them but can never tell if they are speaking the truth. When you ask a question to anyone of our so called council memeber,Its always Let me get back to you. Never comes.After a while you,well I should say Me gets tired of the run around.
You mention the guy about the radio station,I cant speak for others but I would like to know what kind of city I was going to go to and some back ground on it.I don't know if they beat him up cos I cant remember the topic.
There are a lot of people here that would love to see the city to bounce back but wont until the ones that are running it now are either beat out of there seat or they all decide to retire. We all know for them to retire wont happen cos there friends of friends are counting on them.

Date Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 4:49pm
LMAO and others,

I see a lot of you have an exit plan but where were you when things started going bad? Why didn't you try and run for council a long time ago? You seem to be very passionate about your positions yet you made no effort to help the situation when it was time to do that. Instead, you retreat and make a mockery out of this city in a very public way. You're all as guilty for the way things are going as the people you prosecute.

I hope when you leave Middletown, you'll leave this forum as well. We have a lot of new blood with great intentions and investment opportunities but the ship won't sail until we pull the anchors. You guys and gals at this point are nothing but anchors if you're not wiling to be part of the change.

Date Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Historic House Guy Historic House Guy wrote:

Why is it that some of the most vocally people on this forum don't stand up and run for City Council? There is a huge amount of negativity coming from this forum. Anyone who would even do some looking into investing in this area and found the comments here would most likely just turn away. In fact, that has happened. I found a thread on City Data where a gentleman was thinking of coming to Middletown with an AM radio station and when he posted here with the idea he was beaten down with negative remarks. Why in the hell would you do this?

Everyone seems to want to see Middletown bounce back but your public comments only serve to do the very opposite. Do you folks not see the damage you're doing to this city yourselves or are you too wound up with your disagreements with the current policies to realize what your own actions are doing?
   maybe if you would have been born and raised in Middletown you would see just how flippin bad city leaders past and present had their hands on( screwing) ( crooking) every taxpayer in Middletown... there's ya some more negative... now ill give you a positive!! I moved.

Date Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by bumper bumper wrote:

maybe if you would have been born and raised in Middletown you would see just how flippin bad city leaders past and present had their hands on( screwing) ( crooking) every taxpayer in Middletown... there's ya some more negative... now ill give you a positive!! I moved.

Maybe if you'd had the opportunity to live in a few different states during you life time and see this isn't just happening to Middletown you'd see the big picture.

Date Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 5:14pm
I do hope all the nay sayers move away soon. You really have no positive impact on this city. Do us all a favore though; stop posting on this forum.

Date Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 5:15pm
In fact, you have a very negative impact on this city and any new investors who fin your posts online.

Date Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 5:20pm
Just realized I can't edit posts for spelling. I'll slow down...Geek

Date Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 5:57pm

Just realized I can't edit posts for spelling. I'll slow down..... oooooooo K enjoy your new city!! go take a midnight walk all around downtown tonight your love it....ooo by they way I stand to be around awhile, somethings in life your just gotta live with...

Date Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 6:05pm
If you re-read your post, you might find an edit option would be a good thing too...

Date Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 8:02pm
HHG....you probably are like the landscape guy the city 'sleeping slumber' morons threw a bone to get a rah rah rally going to reduce council members from 7 to 5 and get all elected 'at large.' I have lived in 20 major cities in the US, including Boston, SF, Dallas, Austin, DC, many others. Been there, done that. The cit is a disgrace.

The leaders you speak are old, or have established roots for decades, and drive 20 minutes at most to work in Hamilton. The two Mulligans on council have a mother whom advocated without problem, the catholic high school to move to a point between two counties, for growth, and because Middletown had none. Should be apparent if that move was made, it said volumes about the future.

Having you come in from Vermont, and running up to Oakwood, Hyde Park, Mt. Adams, other areas, while buying something cheap in Middletown, means very little. Middletown is a dump, filled with cronyism in every department in Donham,  and the only people who have time for council, are those who made their livelihood next door in Hamilton.

You have more credibility when you study the history HHG, than throwing rocks in a glass town.    

-------------

Posted By: spiderjohn
Date Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 8:35pm
pretty comical, new guy
no one has forced you, or anyone else to read this forum--or accept everything posted here as gospel
many here have served on numerous boards , commissions, public service groups--and donated countless hours and $$$ to improve and support virtually every aspect of this community--what have you done?

a lot of what you read here is opinion, and a lot of what you read here is unfortunately true
most of those here didn't make it this way, and have consistently supported opposition to our current leadership

you don't know me at all, and definitely don't know how I think about much of anything
but I have posted here for close to 6 years, and believe more of what I read here than I do of what I read in the MJ or from the mouths of Council/Admin

If someone read the postings here, and decided to avoid this area, then obviously they found some grains of validity in what was said here. If it was me--it would take a LOT more than that to make a serious decision about this community.

You have over-stepped yourself here, and are somewhat naïve and insulting.
Maybe fix your new home, and leave this place alone?
Or go shill for the dark side somewhere else(or here if you like--all opinions are welcome)

Why should anyone take you seriously or authoritative? 

Date Posted: Aug 02 2013 at 11:50pm
Ok Historic House Guy, here's the background that you are unaware of.....

Some here, like Mike Presta, Spiderjohn and myself, have been around a long time. We all went through the schools here in the 60's, grew up with Armco Steel three times the size it is now, saw Miami U-Middletown built, in 1958 saw I-75 built, were here before the blvd. systems were built, have seen the heydays of Middie athletics, were witness to some incredibly good times with growth and prosperity and, in 1958, when the town was named an "All American City". We have seen many highs for the city......we have also seen the lows like the City Centre Mall idea rise and fall in the 70's downtown, saw the development of Bicentennial Commons only to see it fall into disinterest and realize it was a waste of effort. Same with Lake Middletown that never did get off the ground as it cost the city over $300,000 in fines when they released the silt into the river without the Army Corps of Engineers approval. We have seen the Towne Mall rise and fall into major vacancy since the 70's. The Midd. Hospital, there on McKnight Dr. since the 20's (?) demolished and moved to the other side of the freeway, leaving a big open green space of nothingness in it's place. Sunset Pool filled in. We have seen the downtown, once so crowded on a Saturday in the 60's you couldn't walk on the sidewalk, but rather in the street to avoid the crowds reduced to the ghost town and emptiness you see now. We have seen the schools go from a well respected, high performer, producing a large percentage of college bound kids to a system of free lunches for everyone due to the poverty level in this city, an "academic watch" rating, followed by "continuous improvement" for decades, with no indication that that designation will ever change in the next decade or two.

No, we the seasoned veterans of the city, have not been endeared to the "new blood" and the "new ideas" that have been calling the shots around here for the last 3 decades. None of these "newer" people have proven that they were as good as the 60's leaders. Alot of very poor direction, inept decisions and alot of wasted money spent accomplishing nothing as to the health of the city. The city councils and city building administration have sat back and let the city fall, with no clue or caring how to adapt, develop a game plan, manage money frugally and prioritize city activities. We have had city leader operational failure since the 60's.

I ask you, considering this, is it any wonder that some of us, who have seen the good, the bad and the ugly, have become so negative? We knew the city when it was a wonderful place to live. Some younger people on this forum,and in the city, have no idea how nice this city was at one time. I am sad that they couldn't have experienced what we had in years gone by.

You came on this forum requesting information about the city with the intention of perhaps locating here. I have noticed that the timid, cautious approach you first used, has given way to insulting long time forum members here. You are now typing posts that are the same as the MMF puppets and planted city leader loving believers who, apparently appreciate people who constantly fail, have the wrong concept for the development of this city, and are totally misfocused as to priorities in their thinking. They have proven in the past, that they are liars, keep information from the people, spend our money on their own special projects with a "to hell with what the majority of the people want" attitude, and are generally obnoxious, self-serving and blatantly egotistical. We wish they would take their as--- and their little attitudes and leave town and let competent people who really care about the city run the show. How would you expect us to react to that kind of leadership? Of course we are angry, frustrated and negative. You would understand if you were in our shoes as to what they have done to a once proud city. That is about as blunt and as plain as I can make it. All JMO.   

-------------
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 1:28am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

pretty comical, new guy
no one has forced you, or anyone else to read this forum--or accept everything posted here as gospel
many here have served on numerous boards , commissions, public service groups--and donated countless hours and $$$ to improve and support virtually every aspect of this community--what have you done?

a lot of what you read here is opinion, and a lot of what you read here is unfortunately true
most of those here didn't make it this way, and have consistently supported opposition to our current leadership

you don't know me at all, and definitely don't know how I think about much of anything
but I have posted here for close to 6 years, and believe more of what I read here than I do of what I read in the MJ or from the mouths of Council/Admin

If someone read the postings here, and decided to avoid this area, then obviously they found some grains of validity in what was said here. If it was me--it would take a LOT more than that to make a serious decision about this community.

You have over-stepped yourself here, and are somewhat naïve and insulting.
Maybe fix your new home, and leave this place alone?
Or go shill for the dark side somewhere else(or here if you like--all opinions are welcome)

Why should anyone take you seriously or authoritative? 

Actually, Mr. Dillman, I do know who you are. You just don't know me. I shop in your store 3 times a week. I'm the neighbor you don't bother to know. I'm the new blood bringing hope to this old city that you don't acknowledge like so many other good things you choose not to see. I get discouraged by the negativity you put out on public forums and you call me naive and insulting? Ha! What a laugh! I've spent my last dollar at your store...

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 1:51am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Ok Historic House Guy, here's the background that you are unaware of.....

You came on this forum requesting information about the city with the intention of perhaps locating here. I have noticed that the timid, cautious approach you first used, has given way to insulting long time forum members here. You are now typing posts that are the same as the MMF puppets and planted city leader loving believers who, apparently appreciate people who constantly fail, have the wrong concept for the development of this city, and are totally misfocused as to priorities in their thinking. They have proven in the past, that they are liars, keep information from the people, spend our money on their own special projects with a "to hell with what the majority of the people want" attitude, and are generally obnoxious, self-serving and blatantly egotistical. We wish they would take their as--- and their little attitudes and leave town and let competent people who really care about the city run the show. How would you expect us to react to that kind of leadership? Of course we are angry, frustrated and negative. You would understand if you were in our shoes as to what they have done to a once proud city. That is about as blunt and as plain as I can make it. All JMO.   

First, I've never come here requesting information about a possible relocation to Middletown. I've lived here for 2 years.

Second, I don't love the city leaders and I'm not "planted"

Here's what I am. I'm a home owner in Middletown with a wife and 2 son's who are both "A" students. One goes to Middletown High school and the other is a Senior at Butler Tech. I've volunteered my time helping at the Sorg and a few times a month me and my son's will walk S Sutphin picking up the trash that's dropped on our street. Our house was once a duplex for a slum lord and is now a single family home with no riff raff renters living in it. We've made improvements to our home and the way it looks in this neighborhood. More is on the way. 

I understand being disappointed at how things are but what you're not seeming to understand is this is going on all over the US. My comments aren't meant to be insulting. I'm simply pointing out to everyone here that your opinions are damaging to the city in the way you express yourselves to new comers and if you feel so strongly about changing politics in this city the get off your a$$es and do something about it!

Posted By: Mike_Presta
Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 4:34am

Maybe if you'd had the opportunity to live in a few different states during you life time and see this isn't just happening to Middletown you'd see the big picture.
Excuse me...but I'll bet you a dinner at ANY place in Middletown that is regularly open past 10 pm (just for your info, restaurants in booming cities are open past 10 pm in most states) that I have lived in more states than you have...and more big cities, too!!!

And, I've been involved in civic affairs in most of the cities in which I've lived.  I've addressed planning commissions and town hall meetings about industrial projects; participated in organizations such as Wish With Wings and Big Brothers, and a lot more.  I usually don't talk about things like this because I try to be a humble person, but your "holier than thou" attitude has really gotten under my skin.

So, put up or shut up, Historic Guy, about who has lived in the most places...and one of us will enjoy a free meal...but it won't be in "historic" downtown clowntown Middletown, because other than Buck's, nowhere is open late enough for a cosmopolitan dude like you to have dinner, is there??? 

By the way, I HAVE run for City Council, I've been (and still am) on local and county committees (both appointed and elected).

To everyone else in Middletown (besides Historic House Guy), I apologize if I've sounded like a braggart, and I remain your humble servant. 

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 4:56am
After reviewing the previous post, I wish that I could delete it because it sounds too boastful, but it is too late to do so.

Regardless, the bet offer with Historic House Guy stands!!!  I've probably forgotten more former addresses than he can list. 

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 7:25am
Mike, Over 3000 posts and you didn't realize my comment was directed to the person I quoted above the text?

On the other hand, I'm glad to see someone here at least tried to run for a seat on the council. Why not try again?

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 7:26am
Pretty much figured you to know me, and possibly a patron of my business.
Anyone who does business with me is important--doesn't have to think alike though.

Anyway--an honest "thank you" for your past support
And best of luck to you on S Supthin
The area needs more people who own property and vow to maintain it.

Either you give too much power to this site, or many of us under-estimate the effectiveness and the readership

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 7:48am
HHG, you need to focus upon your restoration wood business, and not being a crisis management plant for the city of Middletown.

While it is understandable you defend your decision to move into the city, I have owned two properties in my career, that have been listed on the National Historic Registry, as stated, lived in virtually all of the top cities in the country, spent a few years at Middleberry College teaching in business school, skiied at Kellington Mountain, and  gave Ben and Jerry's m/a advice when they expanded.

A few comments: firstly, your shots at Mr. D. is wrong and misguided. He has done more to support Middletown than 40 years of cumulative city council members combined.

For those that have 25 years in the city that is in ruin, than 2, we know what terrible leadership has been demonstrated for a lengthy time, how corrupt Middletown is, and how they play the game. You should ask yourself, as you espouse you take care and are improving your property; if the ciy takes money for streets to pay their salaries, what does that say to others, about pride of owndership? It says you don't care.

Middletown will be overcome by waves of tax increases with no services to come, no value, failure.

You liked New England and taxes; you'll be seeing soon what a small town looks like as it will have taxes to rival Mass, Vt, NH, NY. 

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 8:05am
thanx 4 yer support acclaro

I do my best to recognize and accommodate everyone patronizing my business, my co-workers, my neighborhood and the community in general.

If I somehow left you out, new guy, that does bother me--whether you like or agree with my thinking on this forum.
I only wish that you could have experienced your new neighborhood 15-50 years prior. If you like it now, you would have thrived then.

Yes--it upsets me to see what has become of the area--shouldn't it?
I have done a lot of things to take care of the neighborhood and make it better since we built our current location 51 years ago.

The fact that the downhill slide was in some part brought on by city govt. in order to line the pockets of those initially jumping on to the govt.subsidized housing windfall, and the long-term failure to right that ship has led to the total collapse of the neigborhoods between Supthin and Crawford(east to west) and 1st/Central to Roosevelt Blvd(north to south).  Business-wise it has cost me big time. The posters on this forum had little to nothing to do with this. They just express their sorrow and frustration. Research was has led to the current situation.

Should we all be doing more to change it for the better--absolutely!
It happens every day by many--press release or none.

The fact that you choose a response that causes both of us to lose(me by losing a regular patron--you by losing a convenient option where I hope that you found some appeal) is not lost on me. THAT is another type of thinking that needs to be shed in this community imo.

Look me up sometime to discuss this if you choose--patron or no.
Dinner on me @ Stefano's?

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 8:21am
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

HHG, you need to focus upon your restoration wood business, and not being a crisis management plant for the city of Middletown.

You really don't need to tell me what I need to do. All I am doing is reminding all the naysayers here that you public comments are read by many and in it's own way is discouraging people from wanting to move here.

A few comments: firstly, your shots at Mr. D. is wrong and misguided. He has done more to support Middletown than 40 years of cumulative city council members combined.

Please quote the text where I supposedly took a shot at Mr. D. I believe he took the shot at me and I gave a reasonable response to it with no name calling

Middletown will be overcome by waves of tax increases with no services to come, no value, failure.

You liked New England and taxes; you'll be seeing soon what a small town looks like as it will have taxes to rival Mass, Vt, NH, NY. 

You're assuming again...

You know, I haven't called anyone any names here. I've merely pointed out something that you may not see from your point of view yet you've all proven the facts that was posted by another forum. You guys come off as down right rude. Don't believe me? Go to this post below. The first 2 posts pretty much sum it up...

Your legacy    http://www.city-data.com/forum/cincinnati/1914816-middletown.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.city-data.com/forum/cincinnati/1914816-middletown.html

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 8:34am
John, I'm a small town type of thinker who's lived in a lot of city's. I've seen small businesses like yours go under because everyone starts flooding to new new big stores when they open. It never seems to stop surprising me when locals are sad when a small business closes due to their own actions so I always try to support them as much as I can. I'll continue to support the store because our neighborhood wouldn't be the same without it.

Please ask yourselves this. How many possible patrons that might have bought a house here do you think you may have discouraged after reading all the doom and gloom here on this forum? I know that if I had read this forum before moving here, I probably wouldn't have moved here.

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinions. You have a right to it. I'm only trying to give awareness of how all the bad comments are affecting the cities possible growth. We need people owning house and paying taxes. Don't run them off! 

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 8:38am
Well, it's been fun. Gotta go pull some sashes in Lebanon that need to be restored. More income tax money for Middletown... ;)

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 8:52am
http://youtu.be/3OlZQcCoO4E" rel="nofollow - http://youtu.be/3OlZQcCoO4E     LOL

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 9:43am

HHG
    I have learned a great deal from all the people that post on this blog, even if I disagree with them. As a researcher they have caused me to question what I thought were fact and truth and to go in search of the real truth and the real facts and many times I haven’t liked what I found at the end of the road.
    My research is revealing that about 30 years ago something happened in the leadership of
Middletown
that set this town in a downward spiral that continues to this very day. It seems that City Hall made one bad decisions after another and we are just now seeing the full effects of these decisions on our community.
    City Hall keeps telling us that we shouldn’t dwell on the past but work on the future of
Middletown. Well that’s a great ideal however they continue to ignore the past and make the same mistakes over and over again. We need to learn from past mistakes and build a better future for Middletown
. We must change the way City Hall is doing business.
    I truly believe that everyone on this blog wants a better
Middletown

Posted By: Perplexed
Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 10:00am
HHG,
Why don't you speak with Mr. Akins about the possibility of salvaging some of the contents of the 350 houses he is demolishing.  Judging on the age of many of these structures, you might uncover some nice trim boards, interior hardware, etc.  Just a thought.

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 10:08am

HHG
Here are a few little doom and gloom facts for you…
Your home is located in one of the highest crime and poverty area in
Middletown
Mr. Adkins, of City Hall, has stated that your area will not receive any HUD funds because it is just too far gone.
You may not want to hear these facts but they will have on your property investment.
You need to stand up and demand that City Hall use these HUD funds in the areas of great need so we can bring back the older neighborhoods.

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 10:44am

HHG maybe you your call channel 5 news and the Middletown police dept.. to stop talking negative about your stinkin neighborhood                http://youtu.be/YNS9uK2SaBY" rel="nofollow - http://youtu.be/YNS9uK2SaBY   

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 10:56am
HHG....with all due respect, your statements are just wrong.

You state comments which are factual on this board keep folks from looking at Middletown, moving in?

I disagree.

What keeps an influx in is the terrible reputation the city has, from the school district, poverty, crime, runaway taxes, lack of pride in maintaining infrastructure, outrageous salaries for public employees, clique mentality, robbing peter to pay Paul- a few friends of friends, and a rough and tumble area many find objectionable. Moreover, the city leaders and council make terrible decisions, investing downtown because of one owner that own a stained glass shop, and being led on a belief, that is the core competency of Middletown, an art town for God's sake.

Here's what and why potential residents are kept away, and its sure as heck not this forum:

1) Taxes going up, on income, and property- with limited to no benefit in return. Its called ROI.

2) Quality of Life-In a 50 mile radius, one could move to 100 neighboring cities offering 10x the quality of life, and safety, than afforded in Middletown.

3)  More taxation-  since 2000, the city and a few select residents got together to put together a select city council that would be able to pull in the votes (the only reason Bill Becker was put in as cit manager in my opinion), a 2.0 tax rate, and pass non ending levies. In return, this folks get benefits in many ways, which in most circles, would be politely be considered a kickback, albeit cash, ego stroking, favors.

4) Falling apart at seam infrastructure. Have you driven to the canal and seen the problems stagnant water which causes the Nile virus, malaria, and other very significant health problems?

5) Lack of development and failure-  have you seen any biomedical expansion after the Atrium Hospital moved? That was the basis of the city (wink, wink), giving them about $5.5 Mm to spend to move into a new county.

6) People running the city making 135 Kk and above, that are inept, make poor decisions, and are kept on board to take care of the whims of the city council put in, to accomplish what Bill Becker failed to do when he was city manager; pass levies. That's it. Council passes levies- city dumps $$$ on Main Street, into the 'historic' areas where K, M's, others, reside. I bet there's lots of work in Highlands now for you.

6-100 (Why bother).    

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 11:02am

HHG maybe you your call channel 5 news and the Middletown police dept.. to stop talking negative about your stinkin neighborhood                http://youtu.be/YNS9uK2SaBY" rel="nofollow - http://youtu.be/YNS9uK2SaBY   

HHG maybe you should call LOL ...

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 4:30pm

HHG maybe you should call LOL ...

I think I'll pass but you just keep making yourself laugh all you want. You clearly have nothing to offer in this debate.

Posted By: Stanky
Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 5:23pm
HHG, you'll learn that a few on here have next to nothing to offer by way of intelligent comments. I would name them but it's pretty obvious.

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 5:51pm

Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

You really don't need to tell me what I need to do. All I am doing is reminding all the naysayers here that you public comments are read by many and in it's own way is discouraging people from wanting to move here.

Please quote the text where I supposedly took a shot at Mr. D. I believe he took the shot at me and I gave a reasonable response to it with no name calling

You're assuming again...

You know, I haven't called anyone any names here. I've merely pointed out something that you may not see from your point of view yet you've all proven the facts that was posted by another forum. You guys come off as down right rude. Don't believe me? Go to this post below. The first 2 posts pretty much sum it up...

Your legacy    http://www.city-data.com/forum/cincinnati/1914816-middletown.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.city-data.com/forum/cincinnati/1914816-middletown.html

OK HHG, I WENT TO THIS SITE. READ THE 6 PAGES OF POSTS FROM PERHAPS 3 OR 4 REGULARS ON THERE LIKE OHIO58 AND WILT AND A FEW MORE. THEY BASHED MUSA PRETTY WELL. ONE HAD SOME HARSH THINGS TO SAY ABOUT ACCLARO ON THERE. I REALLY LIKED THE ONE POST THAT MENTIONS THE REGULARS ON MUSA. THE DESCRIPTION WAS SOMETHING LIKE A "BUNCH OF ANGRY TEAPARTY, OLD GUYS WHO HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR A LONG TIME AND HAVE INVESTMENTS AND LIVING IN THE PAST"....... WRONG DESCRIPTOR. SHOULD HAVE READ, "A BUNCH OF ANGRY LONG TIME CITIZENS WHO HAVE HAD THEIR TOWN TAKEN AWAY FROM THEM BY PEOPLE RUNNING THE CITY WHO DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE PEOPLE LIVING THERE AND WHAT THE PEOPLE WANTED FOR THEIR CITY". DAM RIGHT WE'RE ANGRY. WHEN YOU LOSE YOUR ONCE HAPPY HOME, YOU GET A LITTLE 'TESTY". THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE ACCURATE. THE ONLY THING THAT THE 3 OR 4 POSTERS ON THIS CITY-DATA SITE HAVE RIGHT ARE SOME OF THE STORIES OFFERED ABOUT ARMCO MOVING OUT, THE UNIONS DEMANDING TOO MUCH AT THE WRONG TIME AND THE TOWN GOING THE DIRECTION OF APPALACHIA WITH NO HOPE RIGHT NOW. I NOTICED SOME OF THE POSTS DIDN'T HAVE KIND WORDS TO SAY ABOUT THE CITY LEADERSHIP EITHER. YOUR CITY-DATA SITE BASHES THE LEADERS JUST AS WE DO HERE, MAKING YOUR "OBJECTIVE" SITE NO BETTER THAN WHAT YOU ARE ACCUSING US OF BEING HERE. YOUR SITE HAS A SMALL CORE OF CONSTANT POSTERS JUST AS WE DO HERE. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN THE "ATTITUDE DEPARTMENT". YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A SITE FOR YOUR BUSINESS WITH A RADIO STATION LOCATION IN THIS AREA. WHY? WITH DAYTON AND CINCY SO CLOSE, THE AREA IS ALREADY SATURATED WITH RADIO, ISN'T IT?

-------------

Posted By: Pacman
Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 6:04pm
Any chance HHG that you are "Billiam"?  You seem to have appeared when he disappeared.
PacmanCool

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 6:11pm
VietVet, respectively I think the difference is that the worst attitudes about Middletown are coming from a very small minority on this forum. Aside from the bashing we got about Middletown itself. The only point I'm making is that in a short amount of posts on this forum, you folks made this guy believe Middletown was bad and he was stupid for even thinking about coming here. You read it.

People, their's not one city in this whole nation that isn't in trouble for kicking the can down the road. Some are facing it sooner than others. The rest will find out later.

What do we do to make things better here? Manufacturing jobs are not coming back and if they do they will be part time, low paying jobs. So why not arts and entertainment? What other things do you think would make a better Middletown as far as attraction?

I'm being serious, not trying to be an a$$

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Any chance HHG that you are "Billiam"?  You seem to have appeared when he disappeared.
PacmanCool

I'm Whip5000. Didn't catch the post until it hit page 4 or so. I don't go there often but the forum was a good tool in deciding where we would move to 2 1/2 years ago. So here I am in Middletown... Clap

Posted By: crazycatcher
Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 8:24pm

Hey HISTORIC HOUSE GUY and this is JUST MY OPINION in response to VIETVETS post for you. Basically what you have discovered is a forum for predominately one-sided thinking by a bunch of old farts hanging on to the past and not taking any responsibility for the future. They get on here and post everything as if it is the word of God and then type JMO to relieve them of any guilt or longing to be better people towards unfortunate situations.

Those days that VET talks about were enjoyed by more than just the few that continue to bash everyone and anyone associated with the city. So yes there are people that live here that still enjoy living here and have a fairly positive outlook. I still love my hometown. While Vet is also smacking your hand for being rude and even perhaps ill-informed you will soon discover that you can’t argue with the management. And while we know they can’t move out of this town, blah, blah, blah sometimes some of us wish they would. Negativity is like a cancer but some on this forum have not figured that out yet, IN MY OPINION.

Also, you’ll notice that they love to speak for the populous of our city and by no means, IN MY OPINION do they. In fact, if you are around town and speak to people, most of the time the conversations on this forum are the brunt of laughter and that most people think, IN THEIR OPINION, that they are basically crazy. I don’t think their crazy just angry, IN MY OPINION, that is the only way you could have so much discontent for those that try to do what they can to make the place they live a little better.

So HISTORIC HOUSE GUY, while I am just giving you MY OPINION about this forum and I do enjoy it for its entertainment value I am sure to be raked over the coals or ignored. That’s a tip for you.  If they can’t figure out a way to respond to you they just ignore you. You’ll notice that if you go back and read some of the threads.

HISTORIC HOUSE GUY, in no way shape or form is Middletown doing great. In fact there have been plenty of poor decisions made and yes there are a few people that should not be on council or working for our city but that’s  been going on ever since I can remember. So my advice to you is stick to your guns, renovate your home, join a group of social elite snobs and by all means support someone associated with the city and then see how you can really get these guys fired up. It’s one good laugh after another…IN MY OPINION. But overall embrace Middletown, because if you do you might find it’s not that bad of a place to live IN MY OPINION. And to quote your old friend VET "THAT IS AS BLUNT AND PLAIN AS I CAN MAKE IT ALL." JMO

Posted By: Bocephus
Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by crazycatcher crazycatcher wrote:

Hey HISTORIC HOUSE GUY and this is JUST MY OPINION in response to VIETVETS post for you. Basically what you have discovered is a forum for predominately one-sided thinking by a bunch of old farts hanging on to the past and not taking any responsibility for the future. They get on here and post everything as if it is the word of God and then type JMO to relieve them of any guilt or longing to be better people towards unfortunate situations.

Those days that VET talks about were enjoyed by more than just the few that continue to bash everyone and anyone associated with the city. So yes there are people that live here that still enjoy living here and have a fairly positive outlook. I still love my hometown. While Vet is also smacking your hand for being rude and even perhaps ill-informed you will soon discover that you can’t argue with the management. And while we know they can’t move out of this town, blah, blah, blah sometimes some of us wish they would. Negativity is like a cancer but some on this forum have not figured that out yet, IN MY OPINION.

Also, you’ll notice that they love to speak for the populous of our city and by no means, IN MY OPINION do they. In fact, if you are around town and speak to people, most of the time the conversations on this forum are the brunt of laughter and that most people think, IN THEIR OPINION, that they are basically crazy. I don’t think their crazy just angry, IN MY OPINION, that is the only way you could have so much discontent for those that try to do what they can to make the place they live a little better.

So HISTORIC HOUSE GUY, while I am just giving you MY OPINION about this forum and I do enjoy it for its entertainment value I am sure to be raked over the coals or ignored. That’s a tip for you.  If they can’t figure out a way to respond to you they just ignore you. You’ll notice that if you go back and read some of the threads.

HISTORIC HOUSE GUY, in no way shape or form is Middletown doing great. In fact there have been plenty of poor decisions made and yes there are a few people that should not be on council or working for our city but that’s  been going on ever since I can remember. So my advice to you is stick to your guns, renovate your home, join a group of social elite snobs and by all means support someone associated with the city and then see how you can really get these guys fired up. It’s one good laugh after another…IN MY OPINION. But overall embrace Middletown, because if you do you might find it’s not that bad of a place to live IN MY OPINION. And to quote your old friend VET "THAT IS AS BLUNT AND PLAIN AS I CAN MAKE IT ALL." JMO

Troll JMO LOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 8:47pm
wow house guy---you have the flames burning now!!!

resentment--anger--jealousies--mocking---pot and kettle stuff--
it's simply an opinion forum
read it or pass---no one says that anyone has to like or agree with anything here

I learn more from people with whom I disagree---I have learned a lot here
Trust me--there is more of thenugly truths here than you get elsewhere
not as much smoke and fuzzys up yer tail either

for an internet site that is mocked and ridiculed so, there are a lot of people scared by it--and it brings out the worst in many of them--often more than you get from the regulars here

jmo catcher--

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 10:08pm
HHG:

VietVet, respectively I think the difference is that the worst attitudes about Middletown are coming from a very small minority on this forum.

I TEND TO SHY AWAY FROM THE TERM "WORST ATTITUDES","BAD ATTITUDES" AND "DISGRUNTLED WORKER" LABELS. I PREFER TO THINK THAT THOSE TRAITS, USUALLY DESCRIBED AS SUCH BY MANAGEMENT TYPES, HAVE A CATALYST THAT CAUSED THESE LABELS. THE WAY A PERSON WAS TREATED, UNFAIR ADMINISTRATION OF POLICY AKA- FAVORITISM, ALWAYS BEING CHASTISED, SEEING A FAVORITE SON GETTING A PROMOTION OVER A TRULY DESERVING PERSON, OR AS SIMPLE AS BEING IGNORED COULD ALL BE CAUSES FOR THIS.

HHG:

The only point I'm making is that in a short amount of posts on this forum, you folks made this guy believe Middletown was bad and he was stupid for even thinking about coming here.

IN RETROSPECT, PERHAPS WE DID HIM A FAVOR FROM A BUSINESS STANDPOINT. HE HAD A RIGHT TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF ENVIRONMENT HE WAS STEPPING INTO. IT AIN'T ALL PEACHES AND CREME NOR AS ROSY AS SOME WOULD HAVE YOU BELIEVE.

HHG:

People, their's not one city in this whole nation that isn't in trouble for kicking the can down the road

MAYBE SO, BUT YA GOTTA ADMIT, SPRINGBORO, MASON, WEST CHESTER AND LOCATIONS SUCH AS THE AUSTIN BLVD INTERCHANGE LOOK A TAD MORE HEALTHY THAN MIDDLETOWN.

HHG:

Manufacturing jobs are not coming back and if they do they will be part time, low paying jobs. So why not arts and entertainment?

MANUFACTURING JOBS ARE STILL HERE. LOOK AT THE ROBOTICS PLACE UP AROUND THE AUSTIN BLVD SIGHT. HOW ABOUT THE SUNCOKE JOBS RECENTLY PUT IN PLACE? THERE IS MANUFACTURING OPPORTUNITIES. JUST NOT COMING TO MIDDLETOWN. WHY? NOT SURE MIDDLETOWN'S ECON. DEV. PEOPLE HAVE THE ABILITY TO ATTRACT COMPANIES LIKE OTHER CITIES DO. ARTS AND ENTERTAINMENT AREN'T GOING TO PAY A LIVABLE WAGE.

HHG:

Manufacturing jobs are not coming back and if they do they will be part time, low paying jobs. So why not arts and entertainment?

What other things do you think would make a better Middletown as far as attraction?

GOTTA CLEAN UP THE CITY. LESSEN THE LOW INCOME THEME AND SECTION 8. IMPROVE THE ROADS AND INFRASTRUCTURE. GET BACK TO MIDDLE CLASS AND LEAVE THE "GHETTO LOW CLASS MENTALITY FOR REVENUE" THINKING. HAS CREATED A LOW CLASS IMAGE FOR THE CITY. GOTTA IMPROVE THE SCHOOLS PERFORMANCE. CLEAN UP ALL THE DEMOLISHED BUILDING SITES HERE AND OFFER THE SITES TO POTENTIAL NEW COMPANIES WITH A TAX SYSTEM THAT PRORATES TAXES FOR NEWBY COMPANIES UNTIL THEY DEMONSTRATE THE ABILITY TO STAY AND PROVIDE MORE JOBS. REDUCE THE NONSENSE AND ROADBLOCKS FROM THE CITY FOR STARTING A NEW BUSINESS. START CONCENTRATING ON MORE IMPORTANT THINGS THAN THE ARTS AND CULTURE. THAT COMES AFTER THE BASICS ARE IN PLACE. THE ARTS ARE LIKE WHIPPED CREME, THE LAST THING ON THE SUNDAE AFTER THE BASIC ICE CREME IS IN PLACE AND TOPPINGS ARE APPLIED. CITY LEADERS ARE MAKING THE SUNDAE WITH THE WHIPPED CREME ON THE BOTTOM OF THE CUP. BASSACKWARDS TOWN DEVELOPMENT. (FOR CRAZYCATCHER.....JMO)

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 03 2013 at 10:45pm
I still get a good LOL out of this one...      http://youtu.be/ySoQOSkILWg" rel="nofollow - http://youtu.be/ySoQOSkILWg

Date Posted: Aug 04 2013 at 7:25am
This thread is summed up as typical citizen/city-created melodrama

Naysayers often
However those taking the heat here had very little to nothing to do with the problems facing the community
They come here to discuss obvious problems and share opinions

Why so scary and taken so seriously by so many?

jmo

Date Posted: Aug 04 2013 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Bocephus Bocephus wrote:

Originally posted by crazycatcher crazycatcher wrote:

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" ="msonormal"=""><font face="Calibri">Hey HISTORIC HOUSE GUY and this is JUST MY OPINION in
response to VIETVETS post for you. Basically what you have discovered is a
forum for predominately one-sided thinking by a bunch of old farts hanging on
to the past and not taking any responsibility for the future. They get on here
and post everything as if it is the word of God and then type JMO to relieve them
of any guilt or longing to be better people towards unfortunate situations.<o:p></o:p>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" ="msonormal"=""><font face="Calibri">Those days that VET talks about were enjoyed by more than
just the few that continue to bash everyone and anyone associated with the
city. So yes there are people that live here that still enjoy living here and
have a fairly positive outlook. I still love my hometown. While Vet is also smacking
your hand for being rude and even perhaps ill-informed you will soon discover
that you can’t argue with the management. And while we know they can’t move out
of this town, blah, blah, blah sometimes some of us wish they would. Negativity
is like a cancer but some on this forum have not figured that out yet, IN MY
OPINION.<o:p></o:p>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" ="msonormal"=""><font face="Calibri">Also, you’ll notice that they love to speak for the populous
of our city and by no means, IN MY OPINION do they. In fact, if you are around
town and speak to people, most of the time the conversations on this forum are
the brunt of laughter and that most people think, IN THEIR OPINION, that they
are basically crazy. I don’t think their crazy just angry, IN MY OPINION, that
is the only way you could have so much discontent for those that try to do what
they can to make the place they live a little better. <o:p></o:p>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" ="msonormal"=""><font face="Calibri">So HISTORIC HOUSE GUY, while I am just giving you MY OPINION
about this forum and I do enjoy it for its entertainment value I am sure to be
raked over the coals or ignored. That’s a tip for you.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>If they can’t figure out a way to respond to
you they just ignore you. You’ll notice that if you go back and read some of
the threads. <o:p></o:p>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" ="msonormal"="">

<font face="Calibri"><p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;" ="msonormal"="">HISTORIC HOUSE GUY, in no way shape or form is Middletown
doing great. In fact there have been plenty of poor decisions made and yes
there are a few people that should not be on council or working for our city
but that’s<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;">  </span>been going on ever since I
can remember. So my advice to you is stick to your guns, renovate your home,
join a group of social elite snobs and by all means support someone associated with
the city and then see how you can really get these guys fired up. It’s one good
laugh after another…IN MY OPINION. But overall embrace Middletown, because if
you do you might find it’s not that bad of a place to live IN MY OPINION. And to quote your old friend VET "THAT IS AS BLUNT AND PLAIN AS I CAN MAKE IT ALL." JMO

Troll JMO LOLLOLLOL

AND THERE YOU HAVE IT. SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE BELIEVER IN THE CITY'S GAME PLAN TO TAKE THIS TOWN TO THE BOTTOM. CRAZY'S MESSAGE REPRESENTS THE GROUP OF PEOPLE THAT HAVE DAMAGED THIS CITY BEYOND REPAIR AND HAVE POSITIONED THE CITY TO WHERE IT MAY NEVER COME BACK. BLIND TO THE FACTS, TOTALLY OBLIVIOUS TO WHAT IS OCCURING AROUND THEM WHILE THEY WEAR THEIR ROSE-COLORED GLASSES AND ENJOY THEIR ARTZY WORLD. PEOPLE LIKE CRAZY, WHO SOUNDS LIKE A CITY LEADER, WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THE NONSENSE THAT IS MIDDLETOWN CITY LEADERSHIP. THESE PEOPLE HAVE HAD THEIR WAY FOR DECADES. BEEN CALLING THE SHOTS WITH NO INPUT FROM THE MASSES. BEEN SPENDING MONEY IN AREAS OF THEIR INTEREST. LOOK AROUND YOU......HAS THEIR GAME PLAN WORKED AFTER HAVING AMPLE TIME TO IMPLEMENT THEIR DIRECTION FOR THE CITY? DOES THIS CITY LOOK LIKE IT IS ON THE ROAD TO SUCCESS? DOES IT RESEMBLE ANY OTHER CITY AROUND HERE AS TO PROGRESS? HELL, FRANKLIN LOOKS LIKE IT HAS MORE SUCCESS IN IT'S REDEVELOPMENT. JMO (TO "RELIEVE THE GUILT AND THE LONGING TO BE A BETTER PERSON").   

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 04 2013 at 1:17pm

LMAO and others,

I see a lot of you have an exit plan but where were you when things started going bad? Why didn't you try and run for council a long time ago? You seem to be very passionate about your positions yet you made no effort to help the situation when it was time to do that. Instead, you retreat and make a mockery out of this city in a very public way. You're all as guilty for the way things are going as the people you prosecute.

I hope when you leave Middletown, you'll leave this forum as well. We have a lot of new blood with great intentions and investment opportunities but the ship won't sail until we pull the anchors. You guys and gals at this point are nothing but anchors if you're not wiling to be part of the change.

Yep I got a exit plan and let me tell you it wasn't easy.But I would be a fool in not getting rid of my house's now then wait lets say another year. I have been working on my exit plan right after are "Spineless Ones" gave the okay to let "SUNCHOKE" be built.IMO are "Spinless Ones" didn't care about the people they was putting in a bad situation.The people would be the ones at the retirement home and the kids at Amanda Elementary. Take a drive down to Amanda Elementary and go to the paly ground and take your hands and wipe it across the swings and slide.You will find the stuff all over it that Sunchoke spews out.Go talk to the people that there property is near by and ask them what they think about it.Before Sunchoke came in the people in that area was already dealing with the Old coke plant dust and smell. What are Spineless ones actually done was look the people in the eyes and Said,Hell with you we need this.No we didn't need it AK did.What AK wants are Spineless ones bend over backwards to accommodate them.What I think was funny was when the Almighty AK pulled there office's out of Middletucky and moved to West Chester. IMO why they did it cos they didn't want to be embarrassed bringing there clients into Middletucky cos of the Ghost city. I could go on and on HG but you can go do your research on why there is so much Negativity. I and others made effort to try to open the eyes of the "Spineless Ones" but it went in one ear and out the other.There hell bent to make Middletucky another Detroit.If they keep wasting money downtown it wont take long for this city to file Bankrupt.
You mention you only been here 2 years.Well I suggest you do a lot of research.Go back lets say 20 years and again you will see why all the negativity.Here is a question to you,Why dont you run for Council?
To answer you question or remark about when I do make my exit You hope I don't come back on this forum,well until the owners of this forum tell me I'm not allowed I will be back.
Oh yea one more question for you,Do you have Permits for the work your doing on your house?

Date Posted: Aug 04 2013 at 1:34pm
LMAO,

I totally get it. Me and my wife are still a bit upset about our loss on our house in Vermont. It was appraised at $135k and after a year of trying to sell it we settled for $67k We owed about 40k on it so we didn't go upside down like most did. It's happening everywhere.

As for our permits, the only thing we've needed one for is the electrical work. Everything else was in working order when we bought the house. It had a wire fence in the back yard with treated posts and we simply used those posts to put up a privacy fence, no permit needed. The front porch was opened up and no permit needed for that either. We will need a new roof soon and I will be pulling a permit for that. The aluminum siding that covers the original wood siding will be coming off next year and some repairs will need to be made to the original, again, no permit needed for repairs. My wood windows will be restore not replaced. Restoration is a good thing... Wink

Date Posted: Aug 04 2013 at 1:46pm
I'd be more than happy to discuss what I'm doing with the hose at this thread...  http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5404&title=s-sutphin-at-arlington" rel="nofollow - http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5404&title=s-sutphin-at-arlington

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 5:44am
     As of this morning, August 5, 2013 the only candidates that have filed Petitions to be on the ballot are: Ann Mort, Dan Picard, Dora Bronston and Josh Laubach.There are only 22 days left to file and get your signatures to be on the ballot. If you don't run for office or encourage someone new to run then you are content with the candidates that are running. All of the opposition on this forum then becomes nothing but talk, talk talk until you get to the ballot box. I plead with you to run for office and serve your community.
      Middletownusa.com  provides an incredible service. It is the only voice of democracy in Middletown, Ohio.
                 pn

Posted By: da120757
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 7:09am
I would love to run for a Seat on Council.  However....  I am not qualified nor financially able to...

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 7:13am
qualifications--u r knowledgeable and u care
it is a myth that $$ is mandatory to get elected in a small town like this
the message is more powerful than a few dollars, signs or mj ads

jmo--of course!

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 12:58pm
Thanks Spiderjohn....

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by da120757 da120757 wrote:

I would love to run for a Seat on Council.  However....  I am not qualified nor financially able to...

da the ones we have now aren't qualified.If you decide to run you have my vote.If I'm still a resident of Middletucky.
Think you and Vivian would do great on council.Wink

Posted By: over the hill
Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 4:05pm
I would back da and Vivian if the wanted to run. I think Vivian could put Ms. Judy and Dougie in their place.

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 4:18pm

Mercy

If I were on city council they would have to charge admission to the council meetings just to see the show twice a month. LOL
Ya know I don't work well with others...

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 5:22pm
....But Vivian what a way to make money for the city, to charge admission to (circus)I mean council.See, she already has ideas for raising money.

Date Posted: Aug 05 2013 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Mercy

If I were on city council they would have to charge admission to the council meetings just to see the show twice a month. LOL
Ya know I don't work well with others...

But the look on the rest of the Council face's would be priceless.LOL I believe with someone as you Ms Vivian on Council would make Queen Judy,Jester Les and Mr.A think twice before they try to pull the wool over the taxpayers eye's again.
I'd have to buy me a membership ticket cos I know it would be a good show twice a month.Smile

Date Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 5:42am
http://youtu.be/8UtvTxFibGM" rel="nofollow - http://youtu.be/8UtvTxFibGM

Date Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 9:29am
Thank you Bumper: That's Ms. Vivian in action.

Date Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 3:00pm
Run Vivian Clap I can promise you at least 5 votes from my clan !

Date Posted: Aug 06 2013 at 3:42pm
Vivian would have our votes too :)

Date Posted: Aug 13 2013 at 1:22am
  As of this morning, Tuesday, August 13, 2013 no one else has filed and certified a petition to be on the ballot to run for City Council. The deadline to do so is August 27th at 4:00 p.m.,  fourteen days from now. What does this say about out citizenry? Where is the leadership? Where is the commitment to the community?  Why don't people step up to the plate? Are we really satisfied with the incumbents and the current list of candidates? Are we really satisfied with the status quo and  the direction of our city? Where are our business leaders who are struggling to make it and who have been ignored by the city? Where is the Chamber of Commerce voice?  Where are those who are overtaxed and whom have had their property values depreciated? Where is our outrage in practice instead of just talk?
    Well, maybe things are not so bad and we should warm our feet by the campfires of those who continue to govern in self interests and their special  projects and be quiet.
            pn

Date Posted: Aug 13 2013 at 4:57am
Originally posted by Paul Nagy Paul Nagy wrote:

As of this morning, Tuesday, August 13, 2013 no one else has filed and certified a petition to be on the ballot to run for City Council. The deadline to do so is August 27th at 4:00 p.m.,  fourteen days from now. What does this say about out citizenry? Where is the leadership? Where is the commitment to the community?  Why don't people step up to the plate? Are we really satisfied with the incumbents and the current list of candidates? Are we really satisfied with the status quo and  the direction of our city? Where are our business leaders who are struggling to make it and who have been ignored by the city? Where is the Chamber of Commerce voice?  Where are those who are overtaxed and whom have had their property values depreciated? Where is our outrage in practice instead of just talk?
    Well, maybe things are not so bad and we should warm our feet by the campfires of those who continue to govern in self interests and their special  projects and be quiet.
            pn

Mr. Nagy:

I concur with all of what you say, except for the last sentence.

You certainly ask many valid questions.  I echo many of the very same questions.

However, I remind you that although some of us are NOT: satisfied with the status quo; the direction of our city; being overtaxed; and having our property being depreciated, and remain indeed outraged!!!

We may at the same time be:  old; tired; physically or medically challenged; or otherwise be so up to our elbows in alligators that we cannot take advantage of this opportunity to serve at this stage in our lives.

It is absolutely incorrect, at least in my opinion and the opinion of some of my confidants, that "things are not so bad and we should warm our feet by the campfires of those who continue to govern in self interests and their special  projects".  Perhaps it is just that the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak?  (This is not to say that such of us would not give the best that is in us to assist anyone who is willing, and able, to answer the call.)

Perhaps it is time for some healthy youngsters (in their 20s, 30s, 40s, or 50s) to take up the torch, and to look to us old geezers for advice when appropriate.

Of course, all of the preceding is just my humble opinion!!!

PS:  Anyone can feel free to contact me for assistance in filling and filing petitions for City Council.

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 13 2013 at 7:01am

Date Posted: Aug 13 2013 at 7:28am
Mr. Presta,
      It sounds funny to me for my good friend Mike Presta to address me as Mr. Nagy and for me to address him as Mr. Presta. I trust that it is out of the respect that we have and always have had for one another. However, I choose that we allow friendship to exceed our respect and I will feel more comfortable by saying, "Good morning Mike."  As usual your observations are right on target:

"We may at the same time be:  old; tired; physically or medically challenged; or otherwise be so up to our elbows in alligators that we cannot take advantage of this opportunity to serve at this stage in our lives."
        My doctor couldn't have described me better than that.

Also, when you say,:

" Perhaps it is time for some healthy youngsters (in their 20s, 30s, 40s, or 50s) to take up the torch, and to look to us old geezers for advice when appropriate."

You, especially focus on the essential matter. These younger ones are the ones who need to heed the call. They would be well advised to turn to you for advice not only on filing petitions but on a host of many issues. Lets hope that they will indeed pickup the torch.

Thank you for the insightful post.
              pn

Date Posted: Aug 13 2013 at 8:13am
Paul,

As for the "Mr. Nagy", I was just trying to set a good example in my twilight years.

(I have been accused by many of spending much of my life serving as a bad example!!! Wink )

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 13 2013 at 4:43pm
If I knew a little more about Middletown, I'd love to get involved. Maybe in a fe more years as I set the stage...

Date Posted: Aug 13 2013 at 7:15pm
Someone give Historic House Guy a crash course on the City of Middletown.

Date Posted: Aug 13 2013 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by da120757 da120757 wrote:

Someone give Historic House Guy a crash course on the City of Middletown.

LOL I got the crash course a few weeks ago when I signed up here.

Date Posted: Aug 13 2013 at 9:10pm

LOL I got the crash course a few weeks ago when I signed up here.,,,,,,,LOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: Aug 14 2013 at 12:04am
better off to run FROM City Council

jmo of course

Date Posted: Aug 14 2013 at 9:20am
Unfortunately there is no place to run from council to escape their damage.

Its ironic, when Larry Mulligan was running, I was thinking here's a finance guy, going to run a tight ship, help steer Middletown from its finncial brink. You know he uses tight numbers when he's approving commercial loans at first financial, current ratios are this, debt/equity ratio is that.

Instead, he comes in, spends the rainy day fund down to 15%, that's enough to operate Middletown for about 3 months as Bill Becker used to say, at most, and the spending has risen more than any prior council in recent memory (30 years).

Running for council doesn't take money, it takes organization and name (brand) recognition. Those on council are not voted in for leadership, its just a name someone knows over many years. Newcomers, those with pedigree backgronds but not inside the clique, need not apply. Waste of time....never change.

That my friend(s), is why there are only 1-2 new folks running. All incumbents have 3500 votes or higher, impossible to win if you can't pull at least 3300 votes. My opinion for what it is worth. 

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 14 2013 at 10:15am
If anyone one needs to be voted out is A.J. Smith. My god he gave me a headache by all the stupid questions he kept asking during the August 8th Meeting.

Date Posted: Aug 14 2013 at 12:18pm
A.J.Smith is not running for council.

Date Posted: Aug 14 2013 at 12:33pm
Thumbs Up

Date Posted: Aug 14 2013 at 2:59pm

If I knew a little more about Middletown, I'd love to get involved. Maybe in a fe more years as I set the stage...

HHG you sound like you have all that is needed to run for council, I'm sure that as a family man and doing the work that you do, would know how to run a budget more so then what we have now! Talk to Paul Naggy, Mike Presta they both could fill you in on whats needed to get started if nothing else you would be getting your name out there for the next run at it.

Date Posted: Aug 14 2013 at 4:12pm
Acclaro
Your comments are dead on the mark and money

Date Posted: Aug 18 2013 at 8:47am
Well, change of events here. Sunday Journal story.....

EXCLUSIVE: Council’s youngest member to step down

MIDDLETOWN — The youngest member ever to be elected to City Council — and one who had a tumultuous beginning to his tenure — will step down Tuesday in order to take a new job in Columbus.
It is no secret that Councilman A.J. Smith had many trials and tribulations early on in his term on City Council. In a time where many 20-somethings are figuring out what to do with their lives, Smith knew. As a 20-year-old, he sought and handily won in 2009 the Second Ward seat on City Council. He was the youngest ever to be elected to the board.

WHO WILL FINISH OUT SMITH'S TERM ON COUNCIL? WILL IT BE AN MMF SPONSORED PERSON OR WILL THEY PLACE BRONSTON IN THERE TO GIVE HER A HEADSTART SHOULD SHE WIN NEXT ELECTION?

Smith, who owns his own political consulting firm, ASJ & Associates, has taken on a client that he said requires him to relocate to Columbus

MUST BE A HECK OF A CLIENT ACCOUNT TO COMPLETELY RELOCATE. HAVEN'T HEARD TOO MUCH ABOUT ASJ & ASSOCIATES. WONDER HOW MANY CLIENTS AJ HAS ACCUMULATED SINCE IT'S INCEPTION.

I LIKE THIS FROM OLD LESLIE LANDEN.....

But as Smith leaves the dais for Columbus, he said he wishes to remind his colleagues on council, and future council members, something that Law Director Les Landen said during an executive session involving city employees: “You should be hard on the issues and soft on the people.”

CLASSIC. PERHAPS LES SHOULD HAVE SAID "SECRETIVE ON THE ISSUES AND IGNORE THE PEOPLE". MIGHT HAVE BEEN MORE APPROPRIATE.

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 18 2013 at 10:18am
VET: You have just described the motto of our city council.

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 10:49am
     Tuesday, August 27th, 2013 the Board of elections posted the final nominees for City Council. They were the
three incumbents: Joshua Laubach, Ann Mort and Dan Picard. The only new candidate is Dora Bronson.
      There are only two available positions for at large candidates.  As of January 1st the city of Middletown will only have
five council members. It is unlikely that the city will get fair  representation since the ward system will also be gone.
       Since we can only vote for two candidates I urge you to vote for Josh Laubach and Dan Picard. If there was a third position of these candidates I would vote for Ann Mort.
       The fact that no one new became a serious candidate says something about our city. How do you see it?
       Good luck to the candidates and God bless the city of Middletown.
          pn

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 11:05am
who is Dora Bronson? what is her platform?

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 11:16am
who is Dora Bronson? what is her platform?            http://youtu.be/mIGMYTjmqOs" rel="nofollow - http://youtu.be/mIGMYTjmqOs

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 11:40am
Well she is a definite Democrat. One would hopes she is going to follow the lead of Christopher Smitherman on Cincinnati City Council. He is probably the only budget hawk on the Cincinnati City Council. As of now I am leaning towards a no vote for her but I need to know more about her platform when it comes to the city. Is she another Downtown Arts Lover, or will she look out for the rest of Middletown. At this point I am willing to put in anyone who is not a Downtown Arts lover.

Date Posted: Aug 28 2013 at 12:18pm
When I have seen Ms. Bronston in action, she seems a bit outspoken. Tells them what is on her mind. Likes her NAACP organization. I would imagine she will be a champion for the south side community even though all council people are suppose to be "at-large", covering the entire city. Doesn't matter though. When the dust clears and we go to 5 councilmembers covering the entire city, the real focus for all will still be the downtown that will get all the attention. All other areas of town will still play second fiddle as to priorities.

Ms. Bronston doesn't strike me as a person who will always play ball with the MMM and P group on council. I hope Mr. Laubach and Ms. Scott-Jones join her in combating the strangleholds produced by the Mulligans, Mort and Picard. I would certainly vote for her before I would give MMM and P the time of day. They are bad for this city and so are their puppeteers.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window