Print Page | Close Window

City Salt Supply

Printed From: MiddletownUSA.com
Category: Middletown City Government
Forum Name: City Council
Forum Description: Discuss individual members and council as a legislative body.
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=573
Printed Date: May 18 2024 at 2:43pm

Topic: City Salt Supply
Posted By: VietVet
Subject: City Salt Supply
Date Posted: Oct 01 2008 at 6:56am
Article in the Journal about the salt supply. Apparently the city has an over abundance of salt and wants to sell the excess to other cities at a profit. Would the cities needing salt want to buy from Middletown with a price markup? If the price per ton almost doubled from last year, is it a good idea to sell the excess now , realizing that the city could pay double the price next year for the very same salt they are trying to unload this year? Help me here business people. Does this make sense or not? The city was suppose to buy 1200 tons for $55,000, but the salt supplier won't honor the purchase???? Didn't the city have a contract with the salt supplier? If so, doesn't the salt supplier have to honor the contract legally? Bressler in the county engineering office says the salt supply is short. If true, why wouldn't Middletown want to keep all they have, given the increased price per ton and the lack of supply? Why don't I understand the logic of these decisions?

Replies:
Posted By: Middletown News
Date Posted: Oct 01 2008 at 10:39am
Why did the price of salt double? Is salt a comodity?

Sounds like it would be prudent to keep our salt and not sell it.

-------------
Please like our http://www.facebook.com/middletownusa" rel="nofollow - Middletown USA Facebook Page

Posted By: arwendt
Date Posted: Oct 01 2008 at 11:52am
I don't follow the need to sell something you have excess of at the moment, just to turn around and buy more of it later. Is there a problem storing the excess salt? Will the excess salt go bad? Do we want to sell it to the other cities that have a shortage just to do them a favor? I need to go get the paper out of my car before I ask to many stupid questions.  :)

Posted By: arwendt
Date Posted: Oct 01 2008 at 12:13pm

Ok

Mr. Marconi said that selling the salt is just good business and that it's not about being a good neighbor.

No problems with that and if the city were a private business it might be another story.

However my personal view of government would caution against getting in the salt business.

Print Page | Close Window