Print Page | Close Window

All America City

Printed From: MiddletownUSA.com
Category: Middletown City Government
Forum Name: City Manager
Forum Description: Discuss the city manager administration including all city departments.
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5978
Printed Date: Apr 28 2024 at 10:04pm

Topic: All America City
Posted By: 409
Subject: All America City
Date Posted: Jan 27 2015 at 5:43pm
MJ:
Adkins: Goal is to make Middletown ‘All-America City’ by 2020

By Ed Richter
Staff Writer
MIDDLETOWN —
In 1958, an “awakened” citizen effort drew up a 14-point program for Middletown’s progress. That program addressed several issues that city leaders at the time acknowledged, including infrastructure, public safety and keeping schools up to date.

As work started on many of those fronts and problems were addressed, Middletown was designated an “All-America City” by Look magazine. City Manager Doug Adkins says it can happen again.

And his goal is to see Middletown achieve that “All America City” designation — again — by 2020, he told the Middletown Rotary Club during its meeting Tuesday.

After working as a city prosecutor and community revitalization director, Adkins said he’s seen and read many of the city’s master plans that have been developed between the 1950s and the 2000s.

Adkins, who was hired as city manager last summer, said he “found” his hook after learning what did and didn’t work as a result of those plans.

“The first step is to understand that Middletown can not and should not be the city it was in the 1950s,” he said. “The world has changed.”

“Word isn’t getting out about Middletown to the region and the community,” Adkins said as the reason he would be hiring a communications intern to get the word out via social media and other platforms. The use of an intern was also noted in the 1958 “All-America City” article.

As for a plan, Adkins reviewed the highlights of the 2015 initiatives and goals which includes focuses on public safety, the restructuring of the public safety departments, the need to be fiscally sustainable, leading the local fight against heroin use, develop housing, parks and recreation plans, and address quality of life issues. He also said every city department has specific, measurable goals and objectives with timelines to complete which will be posted to the city’s website.

“2015 will be a planning year,” Adkins said.

He also said the city has to work at attracting businesses and creating jobs. In 2015, Adkins said the economic development department would be revitalized along with infrastructure improvements, a 25-year paving program, working with various community partners, updating the 2005 master plan, and the city’s antiquated zoning code

“Business wants certainty,” Adkins said. “The end goal is to make it easier to do business with and in the city of Middletown.”

-------------
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

Replies:
Posted By: acclaro
Date Posted: Jan 27 2015 at 6:41pm
I laughed so hard on this one, between it and Robert Kraft's stone-walling the cheating by the Patriots and the physics of aerodynamics associated football deflation associated with atmospheric alterations in fifty degree weather, tears stream down the face in levity.

"Word isn't getting out about Middletown to the region and the community," Adkins said. Para 7.

Hmmm, I believe it is. There was the Forbes article, broadcasts about human cattle walking the streets, lawsuits on Section 8 discrimination, heroin summits monthly, highest crime in Ohio, population sinking, corporate headquarters leaving, and too many others to name without a dissertation.

The Master Plan is still in a planning stage, and in 25 years, there will be a plan as to how the city plans to lay asphalt, that its competitive cities do annually.

Well, give them all credit in the circle. They sure attempt to all stay on message and deflect. Its coming, sometime, somewhere, years from now, and we even know how to use social media. Grab those facebook accounts and tighten the voting blocks.

There's a train running down the track without a conductor. Someone may send a tweet and have someone grab the helm before it derails again.

Spinning, spinning, spinning, and getting no traction. And unbelievably, wondering why.

Footballs losing air, a city without a compass.

-------------
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill

Posted By: VietVet
Date Posted: Jan 27 2015 at 8:41pm
Let's review.

A city that:

has crumbling streets and infrastructure
has a school system that is a bottom tier performer
has the highest taxes in Butler Cty
has a very limited job list paying decent wages with benefits
is tailored to low paying service job selections
has over twice the amount of Section 8 it is suppose to have
has put out the welcome mat for low income
is on the Forbes fastest dying city's list
has no econ dev plan to attract new business
is not business friendly and places many roadblocks to impede new business development
is revenue starved
has many empty lots where buildings once stood with no replacement buildings to follow
loans money to friends who have yet to show any of us any end results
is a hotbed for heroin use
has downsized the fire dept with an emphasis on reducing safety aspects for the people
has a poor, dysfunctional teacher/admin relationship within the district
has a very poor reputation/ image in relation to surrounding communities
caters to the few while ignoring the majority
has tried many projects that usually result in failure- IE Lake Middletown, Bicentennial Commons
has had many industries leave including corporate offices- some due to embarrassment in entertaining clients in town.
lacks a decent entertainment choice/dining choices
has an arts area that is in constant movement but never settled and is always in change offering a small percentage of the population any interest
has inept leadership capable of making unbelievable decisions and always going the wrong direction
conceals, at times, information from the general public with an exclusionary program centered on keeping people on the outside looking in
moves money around from fund to fund doing it's best to mask the money flow from the citizens
never listens to the people unless they are friends of the city
places incredibly inept people in key decision-making positions
uses non-logical methods to determine solutions to city issues.....

You tell me if Adkins has a candidate for All-American city status or not.

-------------
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.

Date Posted: Jan 27 2015 at 9:35pm

Guess which line voters in Middletown stand?

-------------
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill

Posted By: Factguy
Date Posted: Jan 27 2015 at 11:19pm
When Doug Adkins gets AK Steel to move out by 75 near the Atrium, Middletown will be named an All American city. He also gets the partner who bought the First National Bank and Bohannon's son as a social media intern. Discussions are taking place now to move AK back to Middletown.

Good things are coming.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 5:57am
Originally posted by Factguy Factguy wrote:

When Doug Adkins gets AK Steel to move out by 75 near the Atrium, Middletown will be named an All American city. He also gets the partner who bought the First National Bank and Bohannon's son as a social media intern. Discussions are taking place now to move AK back to Middletown.

Good things are coming.

AK moving their corporate offices back to Middletown? From upscale West Chester? With the image and reputation issues Middletown has? AK left for the same reason Black-Clawson left- embarrassment when entertaining clients in Middletown and a lack of a professional environment. Mason-Montgomery Rd is certainly more upscale than anything Middletown can offer. Same goes for the AK location in West Chester. Hard pressed to believe both companies would consider a move back here when nothing has changed.

Good things are coming you say?

Hard to count the number of times we all have heard that phrase used by city leaders. Nothing to date has indicated it to be true.

Look around.

What do you see?

Doesn't look healthy.

More like a ghetto to me.

-------------
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.

Posted By: spiderjohn
Date Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 11:43am
hope u 2 b correct, factguy
When u say 1st nat bank, do u mean former bank 1 building?
what is happening there?
remember--u told me that I could not have that building for less than $300,000-$400,000 and probably not at all. Also, what about the $300,000 that we have invested in the Rose Furniture building to pay for "stabilization"?, Inocome, job creation and tax revenues provided by the Pendleton project? Taxpayer funded, so reasonable to want 2 know what we have actually received for our investment.

I like Mr.A, and hope that he can pull off a lot of his plan by 2020, since we have fallen so far behind the rest of the area. We have been stonewalled and misled by our admin for so long, that it will take a while(+ a lot of good/transparent relations) to regain full confidence. Lip service only goes so far, though it can be a true beginning.

What about the Studio/Strand/Hobby House(that we paid $90,000 to purchase), the old Wards building, Ligon service station etc. that were promised to be demoed decades ago(and were funded to be demoed)? The old library building with the roof caving in?

Why are we spending so much on Narcan and heroin addicts, when drugs for more productive uses + public safety response costs in an area challenged by public safety funding? The success rate for curing this addiction is not so good and the cost is very high(esp when u factor in that most go on disability and/or other govt.subsidy programs for the rest of their lives).

Give us the facts behind/corroborating your vague statements. So far, you have been more smoke than facts.

Posted By: Bill
Date Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 12:11pm
I would doubt AK's HQ would move.  Perhaps a building for one of the departments --- someone said something about engineers -- could go up out by Paychex.  And even if the HQ did move to Renaissance, no doubt the city would have to give them a tax abatement of 899 years to make it happen.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 12:44pm
Fair enough spiderjohn. There is considerable planning which all the pieces are to fit in place. Meant BankOne and was thinking about a joint public relations effort in the works with Cincinnati State and the city not yet public. Rose Furniture delay has been on hold while Mike Robinette and his partners get the old court house restored in Hamilton. It should be starting by April. Don't underestimate the behind scene discussions with Mayor Mulligan and AK executive office. There is a very strong relationship and negotiations have been ongoing for months. The Mayor kept R & D from moving to West Chester. 

Expect TJMaxx, Marshall, Old Navy, and GAP to move in once Burlington opens and they remodel. Lots of activity and discussions behind the covers. Outlet retail is a prime location for Middletown exit. Like the goals city manager has for 2020, but may be a stretch for All America status. Talked to many in town about memories of the soap box derby. Most laugh when thinking that track was better than any road in Middletown currently. Good things and happening. Give it 5 years and Middletown will be on its was back with influx of new, younger residents, steel, retail anchors, and quality of life.  If Mayor Mulligan is successful, AK will be returning. Also, United Healthcare is moving from West Chester. Blue Ash and Middletown are in the running for their new location, and about 200 employees at Optum.  Decision by end of February.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 1:04pm
Factguy, you'll have to excuse me for adopting an "I'll believe it when I see it" posture on your information as history has proven that 99% of what has been said by city leaders, as to city progress and plans, has been nothing more than lip service and passification.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 1:27pm
I had heard that AK was being priced out of West Chester and would return for the right lease $$.

lol--I remember when the soap box derby ran down Central Ave, finishing at Shafor St.

Hey--something has to happen at the interstate mall. Those venues don't excite me, though they play to our demographics. Honestly, I have never visited any of those businesses so far(including Burlington). I operated next to a Buffalo Wing place on Roosevelt, and it was nothing but trouble. Then Marty K and Council emergencied the building to be a strip club OVER everyones' objections--then busted it for doing exactly what we knew they would do. Remember that fiasco? Helped to bury that strip center.

Hopefully I will still be alive in 2020 and will probably still own property here--plan to enjoy it all then.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 2:27pm
I also mention Aetna in Sharonville, which employs about 150 nurses, is looking at the Target building or the former first financial data center by the Salvation Army. The average salary is over $63,000, helping payroll tax collection. You know who was sitting on council when the authorization was given for the strip club. One of goals which has been achieved with the whole restructuring effort at Donham and council, was to remove those that had a 'Sarah Palin' effect, and replace them with credible, intelligent members. If Aetna moves, that helps anchor with the Atrium, Middletown as a medically focused center, and with AK's Michigan acquisition, brings Wall Street eyes back to the city. Its coming.  

Date Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 3:49pm
think about this, factguy---I felt more comfortable and expected a better listen from that Council and Admin back then than I do the current group. Myself and most of my business + social friends have completely given up on the current situation, have no desire/reason to address them, and are capable of living our lives/operating businesses without them.

Sad that it has come to that, but it has.

Hopefully u can show us differently from here on out.
We honestly would prefer to be a REAL part of it all.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 5:17pm
Forum members:

I do not know the person known as Factguy. Keeping all options open here, could it be that Factguy is laying a gullibility trip on us to see how far we will go to believe all that he is offering? Could it be that none of the proposals he is listing here are true and he is playing the old bait game, knowing that most of us don't know the undertow activity, if any, that are occurring in this town? Could it be that he is just having fun at our expense and playing us as fools?

Considering what he has mentioned here, considering that the leaders have gone years without the slightest hint of progress to this degree and considering that we don't know who this person is, what are the odds that what he posts is true? It just sounds like too much activity too quickly from a town's leadership that has dropped the ball on most opportunities presented to them. Given that the Econ. Dev. Dept. has done exactly squat the last decade as to development, why, all of a sudden, is there this mega attraction to Middletown? Kinda suspect, isn't it?

So far, he has made statements of proposed activity that has not happened in this city for decades. Sound a little too good to be true perhaps?

-------------

Posted By: middiemom
Date Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 5:44pm
Fact Guy, great news!!! I hope all of your news comes true as I believe it will. You're right!!! Great things are happening. But, alas, you are wasting your time on this site posting positive news. The nattering naybombs of negativism cannot get out of the 50's and realize that the doo wop era is over. AK could relocate 10,000 jobs here and these people would say why weren't there 11,000 jobs? Spider-John is the only reasonable person on this site when it come to forward positive thinking. The rest are stuck in prior administrations. I don't patronize those low end establishments either but they are a great start for the people in this town. If they can keep the thieves at bay this should establish a good stepping stone to lure more lucrative retail establishments/restaurants into town to support the relocation of AK's HQ.Smile AETNA would be a HUGE score!!! Bright things are coming our way gents....I know it is hard but try to be a part of the solution. If not get out of the wayExclamation

-------------
Middletown... Bright past BRIGHTER FUTURE!!!

Posted By: Rhodes
Date Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 6:27pm
AK Steel corporate headquarters is not moving back to Middletown.  The reason they left, as mentioned above, was to have a corporate friendly environment.  Their need to be in the middle of the hustle and bustle of a growing area was very important in their last move.  Mulligan did not keep R&D from moving out of Middletown.  AK didn't move that because of the costs involved of the building they have on Curtis.  From what I've heard, it's an environmental nightmare on how to relocate that so that it is cost efficient.  Similarly, it's why the little fake brick house on the corner of Breiel & Grand has never been sold and developed, even though a prime corner lot.  I was told back in the 1990's the cost for Cinergy to move that underground setup was upwards of $5,000,000.

Christ Hospital recently purchased about 40 acres across I-75 from Cincinnati Children's.  If any place is medically focused it is West Chester & Liberty... by far.

Some of you people sound like the cheerleaders for Forest Fair Mall.  Location is king.  You can talk all you want and complain about common sense discussions, but logic has to kick in at some time.

Having said all of that, I hope Doug Adkins is able to recapture the city that is currently lost.  I will say this about him, at least he talks about growth and seems to want it.  I haven't heard a city manager talk that way in a long time.  As I've said before, there is nothing wrong with blue collar people.  If Middletown can stay focused on its base and cater to the majority, it would spell out good things for the future of the city.  Most wealthy people or higher income earners are not going to pick Middletown, so try focusing less on what you think those types want.  That's where the city went wrong with the wasting of tax dollars on "art".  All that has amounted to is a bunch of arts and crafts on display.  Ok, so some people like it and that's fine, but not enough to justify the expense.  Clean goes a long way.  Nice roads are a requirement for most people, particularly those relocating.  Schools are always important, even if you don't have kids in school because it does play a large part in the value of your home.

And for Christ's sake... get the freaking litter under control!!!  Drive around neighboring communities.  Notice they don't have litter everywhere you drive?  This goes for the homeowners that have litter in their street.  I can't imagine letting it sit there, yet you can drive all over Middletown and in most areas, the litter rules.  No matter what... there's something about looking clean.

Date Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by middiemom middiemom wrote:

Fact Guy, great news!!! I hope all of your news comes true as I believe it will. You're right!!! Great things are happening. But, alas, you are wasting your time on this site posting positive news. The nattering naybombs of negativism cannot get out of the 50's and realize that the doo wop era is over. AK could relocate 10,000 jobs here and these people would say why weren't there 11,000 jobs? Spider-John is the only reasonable person on this site when it come to forward positive thinking. The rest are stuck in prior administrations. I don't patronize those low end establishments either but they are a great start for the people in this town. If they can keep the thieves at bay this should establish a good stepping stone to lure more lucrative retail establishments/restaurants into town to support the relocation of AK's HQ.Smile AETNA would be a HUGE score!!! Bright things are coming our way gents....I know it is hard but try to be a part of the solution. If not get out of the wayExclamation

middiemom, you missed your calling. You arrived here on earth too late. You were better suited to give Custer some advise when he was surrounded at Little Big Horn. Perhaps you could have helped him deny his fate telling him good things are about to happen while showering him with your dream world/who needs facts rhetoric.

And no, there is "nothing to get out of the way of" as the ideas being bantered about by the eternal optimists here have a slim shot of happening. The talk of things happening being "right around the corner" are bogus until there is proof produced. Until then, nothing but empty talk, just like your buddies at city hall practice each and every day. Since I'm not spiderjohn I would be in the "unreasonable group". I assume most here are being labeled as such because we don't salivate on every morsel of crap mentioned by city hall as you gullible optimists do. We form opinions based on what we see and have seen like a reasonable person does. And, we don't believe the dream weaving done by the city has any merit.

Great things are happening she says. How come we haven't noticed? Must be very subtle in nature.

Part of the solution? Comical mom. What solution? Haven't seen one in decades around here. City leaders have no solutions.......that work. Or, do you mean solutions like Lake Middletown, Bicentennial Commons, Cincy State reality versus projected success, the carnival lights at the I-75 interchange signifying the circus is in town, The City Centre Mall, The non-progression, non-stable arts dream downtown, companies leaving left and right with no replacements, a lack of decent standard of living jobs, the non-success to date of the Atrium area as a medical megaplex with medical facilities lining the streets promised. Just a few examples of your "solutions" your side of the fence has produced so far.

Your side needs to show us something of content. Then we'll talk.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 7:38pm
I can understand the lack of confidence many may have based upon past failures. But, its changing. The acquisition by AKS of Severstal has exciting benefit to Middletown directly. Because an acquisition is to gain economies of scale, the current R & D group of Severstal will be relocating to the region. Customer service will be consolidated, as well as HR, payroll, government relations, supply chain, government relations. And, technology in time, will be combined (IT). This represents hundreds of high paying jobs.

One of the most significant announces will be coming soon that also will be a true game changer for Middletown. On Wednesday, the governors of Ohio and Kentucky will be bringing the Brent Spence Bridge to a national audience. It now is supposed to be about tolls and negotiations, but, that isn't the story. Behind the scenes, Boehner has a deal with Democrats and Obama specifically, to wrap the Keystone Pipeline and a massive infrastructure deal in a bundled package. This helps Obama with the union wanting jobs, and is a neutral deal, where the GOP has Ohio, Kentucky led by a Dem. The deal will provide billions in funding, gets the Ohio Governor a key position as VP in 2016.

With this announcement and federal funding, and with the recent collapse over 75 of the exit, both parties see this as a win-win. More importantly, it will bring funds through the state and southwestern region. Combining the deal with the only remaining availability of green and brown field space by 75 and the areas within 5-8 miles west of 75, Middletown will benefit greatly. Although it will be years before the bridge is complete, new businesses will be moving in a logistics management and centralization will grow greatly, as Obama, Boehner, and the two senators from Kentucky, including Paul, will be using this as a deal as big as the TVA, building damns, and the other historic achievements.

Can't speak for trash much Rhoads, other than I agree the concrete barriers on the north bound exit, has fast food trash which needs to be removed. The lighting at night does look good out there, as well as the landscaping.
This is good news!

Date Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 8:12pm
Factguy:

Knowing how long these plans take to be set in motion, how will Obama be involved in the pipeline and massive infrastructure deals when his term runs out in two years and he won't be a participant? As slow as these things move, alot could happen, including cancellations, before implementation.

Is it a fact that Severstal will locate to this area and impact Middletown proper as much as you describe? Or, is this speculation and a "maybe" on your part?

Ok, so the Governor gets elected to a VP seat in Washington. Doesn't mean we in Ohio, much less Butler County will feel the impact and be a favorite target for growth by Kasich. Look at Boehner and look at how long he has been in Washington. Now consider how much he has done for West Chester and SW Ohio and how little he has done for Middletown while in office. Hell, he doesn't even know where Middletown is as his visits are that infrequent to this city. Boehner goes where the money is. No money in this city as compared to others so he has no interest here.

Brownfields are too expensive to re-create into green re-usable land. I doubt if there would be that much interest in the brownfields "west of I-75" which would encompass most all former industrial sites and the downtown in Middletown. I would think, by sheer brownfield site numbers in Middletown, that they would move south of Middletown to concentrate that effort.

Factguy:

"Although it will be years before the bridge is complete, new businesses will be moving in a logistics management and centralization will grow greatly, as Obama, Boehner, and the two senators from Kentucky, including Paul, will be using this as a deal as big as the TVA, building damns, and the other historic achievements."

Again, Obama will be gone before this bridge is completed. I would imagine there is a chance they might lose a project supporting senator or two in Kentucky at some point in time. With the initiators of the project gone, will there still be support to carry on until completion? ....or will another group in charge at that time redirect the importance of this and drop it to a second tier item making it incomplete?

Never know. Even long term Boehner may be gone before everything is said and done. Politicians are replaced. Priorities change with each new group in power. Boehner may hang it up.

A toned down elation may be in order here to avoid disappointment. Alot of obstacles to overcome before these proposals are a reality.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 8:34pm
Severstal won't be moving their steel operations but redundant operations. It will be either West Chester or Middletown. Mayor Mulligan is negotiating to bring AKS back, for the current and future jobs. If unsuccessful, which is looking bright now, West Chester gains. You asked about United Healthcare leaving West Chester and looking at either Blue Ash or Middletown, drive by their office, see the large FOR LEASE sign, two floors in the building, 3 and 4, call them, or call economic development downtown, 

Obama wants a legacy and the only bill passed is ACA. This massive federal legislation will break the ice between the two parties, and sets up Hillary Clinton and any GOP candidate as Ohio is the state that swings Dempcrat or Republican. They know this, and GOP wants Keystone Pipeline. Obama wants infrastructure. Everyone wins. Done deal, if it passes, which it will. Middletown also gets the exit off 75 for Manchester. Neither Obama, Boehner, Paul, Kasich, McConnell are concerned about the time it takes to build. They see it as a means of breaking DC log jam, where everyone wins, and gives each bragging rights for Ohio heading into 2016.

Middletown hasn't been in a better position since WWII.    

Date Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 8:57pm
lol--thanx middiemom
not that many on either side of all of this view me as that reasonable

I agree with a lot of the basis for negativity here, though you can only take it so far and say it so many times...eventually you have to start thinking, then working, toward solutions. Unfortunately most of my solutions have not been that well received in the bunker. I think more like a businessman than a bureaucrat, weighing all possibilities.

Have spent most of my life here---remember a lot of good and not as good. Mostly think about the good though, and hopefully beginning to see the sun shine here again. I keep waiting for a new generation to grab the reins, and keep wondering when and why so long in coming.

I hope that u turn out to be correct on a lot of this, factguy...

Date Posted: Jan 28 2015 at 9:28pm
John Boehner owes many individuals in Middletown over years of service. He'll make the Obama infrastructure bargain happen. When Mica Glaser works her magic getting Middletown's name established and rebranded, the floodgates open.  Good things are happening, and many have been under the radar. 

Posted By: Vivian Moon
Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 10:23am

Fatctguy

I think we need to talk about the bright pink elephant standing in the middle of the room with a blanket on his back that says EPA.
Middletown has an expensive and serious problem with pollution and then we have the separation of the sewers.
We have kicked all these cans down the road for years.
We are talking millions of dollars and City Hall has depleted the fund.
Where will all this money come from?

Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 11:16am
Factguy, your last post shows that you may not be serious.  Since when does Boehner do anything that resembles bringing funds (pork) to this area? If he hasn't paid anyone back in all these years why would he do it now?  And if he did, it would certainly be something that benefits the West Chester region, not Midd.  The only thing he might bring us is a toxic waste dump since, of course, we're the only place that accepts manufacturing and all it's pollutants.

Posted By: processor
Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 11:53am
FactGuy. I'm having a lot of trouble swallowing what you're selling. Certainly AK's acquisition will mean a lot of consolidation of jobs at AK's headquarters and MAY result in a few additional jobs, but how this translates into moving their headquarters to Middletown is beyond me. Certainly they have a long term lease at their West Chester location that would cost a lot to terminate. Plus they would have the cost of physically moving. It just doesn't add up. At most maybe they would create a satellite operation in Middletown, but even that doesn't make much sense since it would be a hindrance to communication.

As to Obama giving up and letting Keystone move forward that too is a pipe dream. He's in the process of adding large areas of Alaska to the no drill area in hopes of getting rid of the Alaskan pipe line. I just don't buy it.

Regarding the other potential's I don't have enough knowledge to argue one way or another.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 12:27pm
The cost of physically moving a Fortune 1000 doesn't cost but a rounding error off  a fraction of 1% of net income. Its also a tax write-off at 100%. Armco moved, AKS moved, and there is now redundancy not only at Dearborn but Mansfield. So, there are not only no concerns on physical move expense, but benefit, as West Chester doesn't have the added space needed.

If the big picture, West Chester didn't offer any advantage for AKS. If they were to move, for a true uptick to stock, they would have done what they planned before, and that was to head to the northeast to the media market. There aren't a handful of analysts and investors that know West Chester is a suburb of Cincinnati. Taxes are of benefit to recruit talent, but TIF's and tax abatements address that issue. They have an interest in being by the east end of 75. Plenty of land there for lease or custom build for 500 employees. One of negative benefits of West Chester is the Marriott is always full occupancy, so their employees out of town, and clients, stay downtown in Cincinnati and in Dayton, so the net gain was not what was imagined.

Regarding ANWR, that is already a protected reserve and Congress will never allow the additional acres to be protected. Less than 10% of Alaska is privately owned. Take Alaska out of the equation, just polispeak but nothing will be added as a federal park or reserve in acres.

Have had lunch with Governor Steve Besher twice in last 6 months at Merrick Inn in Lexington. They have been looking for a bundled deal since November for pipeline and a large infrastructure project. Found it with bridge problem and the politicians in two border states to pull it off. Speaker of House, Head of Senate, benefit of Ohio in Ohio. Going to happen.

United Healthcare- Optum is moving by end of February, and growing faster than any UHC group. Blue Ash had it wrapped up because they want location to be 45 minutes from central spot, but east Middletown office space has emerged as a strong contender. Same with Aetna. There's also talk of a small landing strip being build east end, on land where white house has been sitting for years, west of new subdivision and Bishop Fenwick.           

Posted By: FmrMide81
Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 12:50pm
Yep-time tho throw the BS flag....
Think the folks at whatever institution you're in need to adjust your meds or at least tighten up the sleeves on your jacket so you can't reach the keyboard. They are doping you up with some kind of rainbow and unicorn crap that is preventing you from seeing the reality of this city.

Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 1:03pm
While you seem well versed in these topics, I think you're throwing a whole lot of __ against the wall and claiming something will stick. 
The Brent-Spence will involve tolls, not 100% fed dollars for that.  Are you saying there is significant fed money along with the tolls?......You still haven't stated why AK would be attracted to 75 & 122 other than land.  No hotel there either.........and why would Aetna or UHC want to be even further from Cincy proper?

The fact that an area throws itself into consideration for these possibilities means nothing.  Besides, much like the L.A. market vis a vis the NFL, the companies may like throwing Middletown out there as a relocation possibility just to cut the best deal for a location closer to Blue Ash, Mason, Cincy, etc.

I will commend you for livening up this board with some interesting mixture of facts, wishes, conjecture...

Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 1:07pm
The outcome of these events is southwestern Ohio, and Middletown will be gaining benefit from them. For decades, the US spent $10 Bb a month in Iraq, and you are doubting a deal between Obama, McConnell, Boehner, Paul, Kasich, and Besher working on a deal with the pipeline and infrastructure to actually do legislation? Amazing.

I haven't heard any developer, individual, or company, ever say anything negative regarding east end Middletown, off interstate 75. Middletown knows its tax rate has to change to bring business to east end. Tax abatements are there, and companies are moving to get them.   

Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 1:14pm
Didn't see your post Bill. As part of the DoD (Defense) funding cuts, WPAFB is gaining from other base closings. P & G is moving its national logistics site north of Dayton, and Costco built a new site of Wilmington Pike that has opened explosive growth in the Dayton proper area. Dayton proper is experiencing more growth than Cincinnati. 75 north has no room for expansion until you are in the Monroe/ Middletown area. Therefore, Middletown is now an attractive market east of 75. AKS left for taxes, not Wall Street benefit. No relocation for executives.    

Posted By: processor
Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 1:16pm
Still not buying it.

I guess if AK was actually making money I could potentially buy your rounding error theory. Tax write off means the gov't pays at most 35% and AK still pays 65%. However, the only legitimate reason to move is in order to make more money. How is moving to Middletown going to help them with this? The stock analysts don't care where your headquartered, they care whether or not the company is making money.

What redundancies at Mansfield? It's just a plant and has only been a plant for 20 years.

The Marriot isn't always full and there are two new hotels being built as we speak.

The following WSJ article could shed some light on Obama and Alaska. Apparently he's not asking congress....just doing it. Kinda been his modus operandi recently.

By
Amy Harder
Jan. 25, 2015 2:58 p.m. ET
The Obama administration is moving this week to designate areas of Alaska off limits to oil and natural gas drilling in its latest effort to bolster its environmental legacy.
The Interior Department announced on Sunday that it was proposing to preserve as wilderness nearly 13 million acres of land in the 19.8 million-acre Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, including 1.5 million acres of coastal plains that is believed to have rich oil and natural gas resources.
Later this week, the department also is slated to propose a draft offshore leasing plan that is expected to include more limits on future oil and gas production in Alaska.
The efforts are drawing a strong rebuke from congressional Republicans.
Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R., Alaska) vowed to fight the administration’s moves from her positions heading both the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee and the appropriations subcommittee responsible for funding the Interior Department.
“It’s clear this administration does not care about us, and sees us as nothing but a territory,” Ms. Murkowski said in a statement Sunday after speaking by phone with Interior Secretary Sally Jewell on Friday. “But we will not be run over like this. We will fight back with every resource at our disposal.”

A polar bear keeps close to her young along the Beaufort Sea coast in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. The Obama administration is proposing to designate nearly 13 million acres in the refuge as wilderness. PHOTO: REUTERS
While setting aside lands as wilderness requires congressional approval—something this administration is unlikely to get with both chambers controlled by Republicans—the proposed move puts the area into a state of de facto designation as wilderness and would prevent drilling, an Interior Department spokeswoman said.
Alaska’s oil and gas production has dropped nearly 75% since its peak in the 1980s. North Dakota surpassed Alaska two years ago as the nation’s second-largest oil producer, behind Texas.
The Interior Department is expected to block parts of the Beaufort and Chukchi seas off the coast of Alaska for oil and gas development as part of the offshore leasing plan it releases every five years, said Robert Dillon, a spokesman for Ms. Murkowski.
This proposal, to be presented this week, isn’t expected to affect current plans to drill in the region by Statoil , Shell Oil Co. and ConocoPhillips , though the long-term impacts are unclear, Mr. Dillon said.
According to the Interior Department, more than seven million acres of Arctic National Wildlife Refuge are listed as wilderness, which is the federal government’s highest designation of protection. Oil and gas drilling is prohibited in the refuge based on a law passed in 1980, and Sunday’s announcement would provide another layer of protection.
“Pristine, undisturbed, it supports caribou and polar bears, all matter of marine life, countless species of birds and fish,” President Barack Obama said in a video message Sunday. ”And for centuries it’s supported many Alaskan native communities, but it’s very fragile.”
Sunday’s announcement is the latest in a series of steps the Obama administration has taken in the last couple of months to protect the environment, address climate change and regulate the nation’s oil and natural gas industry, particularly in and around Alaska.

The Philip Smith Mountains in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska in the summer of 2010. PHOTO: ALASKAPHOTOGRAPHICS/CORBIS
In another video message posted in December, Mr. Obama said he was indefinitely blocking any oil and gas drilling in Bristol Bay, in Southwestern Alaska. That announcement was relatively noncontroversial compared with the news this week. Companies aren’t currently drilling in the 32.5-million acre region and don’t have a lot of interest in doing so.
The Interior Department also is expected to propose in the coming weeks new drilling regulations tailored to the harsh weather conditions of the Arctic.
On a broader front, the Interior Department’s five-year plan is expected to offer a window into how supportive the Obama administration will be of new offshore drilling.
The last time the administration issued such a plan, the onshore boom of shale oil and natural gas hadn’t yet fully developed. Experts and lobbyists following the proposal say the administration could open up areas along the East Coast because policy makers from those states, such as Virginia, support such a move.
Also, earlier this month, the Environmental Protection Agency announced plans to regulate for the first time methane emissions from the oil and gas sector.

Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 1:40pm
There is no drilling allowed in any federal park or reserve. The additional land Obama discusses in ANWR is already protected. To purchase the additional land, Congress would pay for it, authorize it, through legislation. Congress is controlled by GOP. Check.

Stalemate with Keystone Pipeline (GOP) and infrastructure (Obama). Unions support KP, environmentalists don't. Bridge project is compromise at cost of 2 weeks in Iraq, between KP and infrastructure (bridge, road expansion, exits, union work). Two heads of Congress in Kentucky and Ohio, last term for McConnell. Win-win. No tolls.

AKS. No one can walk from Marriott to AKS headquarters without wetting a suit with sweat or puffing after 20 minute walk. Highway access is king. There is a lease buyout with AKS which is not cost prohibitive. Middletown has to offer tax abatements, but that doesn't appear to be a deal breaker. The traffic heading south off West Chester exit is a nightmare daily, and a major source of accidents. Takes 15-20 minutes to get from exit to 275. Not worth it for AKS, UHC, others. UHC moving, AKS negotiating. Maybe lobby Mr. Adkins to get a TIF and 0% tax on east end for annexed property, because these two, and others, are leaving West Chester. 

Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 2:31pm

The outcome of these events is southwestern Ohio, and Middletown will be gaining benefit from them. For decades, the US spent $10 Bb a month in Iraq, and you are doubting a deal between Obama, McConnell, Boehner, Paul, Kasich, and Besher working on a deal with the pipeline and infrastructure to actually do legislation? Amazing.

I haven't heard any developer, individual, or company, ever say anything negative regarding east end Middletown, off interstate 75. Middletown knows its tax rate has to change to bring business to east end. Tax abatements are there, and companies are moving to get them.   

Now wait. Your post here states that the interest is on the EAST side of I-75. If you read back through your posts, you referred to "a 5 to 7 mile buffer of interest" WEST of I-75. Which is it?

I distinctly remember this as I responded with a concern about the many former brownfield industrial locations and the cost of cleanup before usage west of I-75.

Factguy, I appreciate your input here although much that you offer is above my pay grade as to the underlying activities, internal behind the scenes mechanisms such as dinner conversations with politicians, back room backslapping while wheeling and dealing for projects between states, and business/political/corporate strategies as they intertwine. This is uncharted discussion for some of us here as we operate in the arena of small town USA city affairs doing verbal combat with the city supporters and crucifying city leaders for their ongoing blunders. Really small potatoes compared to the more national agenda you seem so familiar with.

The nature of this conversation you bring to the table allows you to have a degree of advantage over some of us. Right now, we are playing your chosen game in your arena using your rules and are at a disadvantage as we are not familiar with and do not operate in the levels with which you refer. Therfore, we cannot verify that you are a credidible information source.

I am interested in your take on Middletown though. Your thoughts indicate you could easily sum up the situation in this city including your assessment on the damage that has been done, what mistakes have been made to allow this city to be in the condition it is in and some of the solutions you might offer to initiate improvements......not that any leaders would listen mind you.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 3:00pm
The 75 corridor east end (north) was referenced in context of Aetna, UHC, and AKS. They all want an exit off the interstate as they have presently. That was the reference to east end or annexed Middletown. The west end of 5-8 miles, is the interest and opportunity for brownfield space, which the billions of dollars in infrastructure expenditures will create footprints of businesses associated with the expansion of additional traffic heading north and south on 75 and the ancillary routes (exits) which will be provided through the federal funding.

Middletown is exceptionally placed for its location associated with both the West Chester moves already in progress, and the added expansion of the bridge for 75 intersecting Kentucky and Ohio. For the past years, downtown leaders and shareholders have focused upon a master plan, road map if you will, that strategically targets both the develop in the east end and west end. Key to the strategy was the placement of the middle school to be closer to the interstate to capture those that will work on the east end and west end, that have previously been leaving to other areas. The revision of the codes and ordinances is absolutely necessary as it is well known by many, as written, businesses encounter resistance and obstacles that don't allow the city the nimbleness needed to compete with West Chester and other areas. The city recognizes the past errors made by council in allowing too much section 8 within city limits compared to a percent allocated for the region.

Now, the pieces are in place, ordinances are being fixed, major business development campaigns launched, throughout the city, downtown, west end, east end, in schools, in neighborhoods, in reputation. The plan will be made public for paving all roads. If successful in getting AK back, and UHC and Aetna in, and others, with the added dollars made available for the bridge expansion, the city is in a position as good if not better since the 1940's, to move forward. The future is bright, even brighter than the past.      

Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 3:26pm
Factguy:

"Now, the pieces are in place, ordinances are being fixed, major business development campaigns launched, throughout the city, downtown, west end, east end, in schools, in neighborhoods, in reputation. The plan will be made public for paving all roads. If successful in getting AK back, and UHC and Aetna in, and others, with the added dollars made available for the bridge expansion, the city is in a position as good if not better since the 1940's, to move forward. The future is bright, even brighter than the past"'

Don't see the "pieces in place", "ordinances being fixed" nor "major business development" that you speak of. The downtown is in limbo with little progression, the schools are as anemic as they have been since the 80's. The West End by the river needs alot of help. Really not much there to entice any activity. The East End has the potential but progress has been squandered by past and current city leaders as they have ignored the potential this area has. The roads????? Down to the gravel in places. At best, new shocks, struts and tiebars every three years. Forget wheel alignment. Reputation and image??? Gonna take a long time to remove the tarnish placed on the city the last 4 decades and will not be fixed in the short term. People wanting to locate here? Nope, the city is losing population.

The "future is bright"? You and the city leaders can say it until you pass out. Gotta show us something to back your optimism. Words and fancy slogans just don't cut it. Never did.

It might be better than the 40's if all suggested happens for some. But, for me, it won't touch the 60's when this city was really prosperous, people seemed happy. City government seemed to make sound decisions, there was work to be had that provided a decent standard of living, there was entertainment and crime was under control. The downtown was vibrant and filled, especially on Saturdays. The schools were top-notch and respected in the area. Middletown High actually had some decent competitive sports. You name the subject, it was better then than now.

Middletown has always been in the "middle of it all" as to location. Why, all of a sudden, are businesses, politicians and others you mention now noticing it? What has, all of a sudden, happened to peak interest in this city? I find that questionable and would tend to be a tad bit gun shy on my enthusiasm to buy into this theory.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 3:45pm
You can't possibly think City Manager Doug Adkins didn't know the odds were 75% or better of bringing those 1,000 jobs to Middletown and the federal funding for the Brent Spence Bridge to announce his goal for making Middletown an All America City by 2020?  

-------------

Posted By: Mike_Presta
Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 4:36pm
Factguy: You better check with "Trotwood". He claims AK will be shut down to build the new Cin/Day International Airport, which will be the driver for the "brighter future" downtown!!!

(His fantasy has about the same chance as yours.)

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 4:46pm

...Two heads of Congress in Kentucky and Ohio, last term for McConnell. ...
Have you informed Senate Majority Leader McConnell that this is his last term yet???

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 4:55pm
He did me. He has no intent of being Senator Byrd (deceased) of WV and holding office post 80. 

Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 5:01pm

... For decades, the US spent $10 Bb a month in Iraq, and you are doubting a deal between Obama, McConnell, Boehner, Paul, Kasich, and Besher working on a deal with the pipeline and infrastructure to actually do legislation? ...
First, this is a non sequitur. Second, do you ever follow the REAL WORLD news?

"Following the humbling defeat suffered by Democrats across the board on Tuesday, Obama decided to seek authorization from Congress to escalate the war against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria."

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 5:14pm
Let me help you reach the conclusion you reference as disjointed. Funding the bridge at the federal level will not be an issue to secure GOP votes. After the votes are made and funding approved, Dems get infrastructure project, GOP gets KP, and Kasich gets a VP slot he desires. Southwestern Ohio gets bridge expansion, local individuals avoid tolls, money for exits off 75, and 71, and Middletown sees growth.  City Manager Adkins and Mayor Mulligan are aware of the events planned.   

Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 5:19pm

Let me help you reach the conclusion you reference as disjointed. Funding the bridge at the federal level will not be an issue to secure GOP votes. After the votes are made and funding approved, Dems get infrastructure project, GOP gets KP, and Kasich gets a VP slot he desires. Southwestern Ohio gets bridge expansion, local individuals avoid tolls, money for exits off 75, and 71, and Middletown sees growth.  City Manager Adkins and Mayor Mulligan are aware of the events planned.   
And what does any of this have to do with the war on terror...or the price of eggs in China???

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 5:33pm
Factguy, I have to admit your reasoning makes sense on what you have indicated, including what is occurring at at least Optum (UHC), as I know that entity very well, and enjoyed recently the CEO of the Mayo Clinic on air with Charlie Rose discussing the 20 year joint data analytics models they built for predictive healthcare forecasting. I also have spoken to a few folks at AKS including Reich who made a passing comment a move back to Middletown could happen.

What I have difficulty in comprehending or believing, is the city would proactively be on top of any of these events.

Lastly, on Optum, at least in December, I was informed the plans were to move to Blue Ash in property near Ethicon. They also have the 0% tax rate which they had in West Chester, and for Middletown to make a play so suddenly, well...if so, Doug Adkins has done an excellent job of proactively acting.    

-------------

Posted By: Stanky
Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 7:35pm
Factguy = Doug Adkins?

Posted By: Neil Barille
Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 8:51pm
acclaro, the timing of the 2020 goal is suspicious, no?

Date Posted: Jan 29 2015 at 9:30pm
Neil, 2020 goal suspicious? Apparently so. Hope is a tease, designed to prevent us from accepting reality.

FG = Mitt Romney.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 30 2015 at 8:01am
all sounds good, though another distraction(positive for a change!) to change the topic from the smaller, localized issues that have disappointed everyone by their being ignored/de-emphasized for so long.

Water manes breaking everywhere on streets that are crumbling/have crumbled--had to detour from Magnolia(a mess) to Glenmore(bigger mess) due to a break in order to get to the coffee shop yesterday

Millions disproportionally spent trying to revive the former downtown area

plunging property values due to many reasons discussed

you get it--Vet can take over from here.....

Still--thanx for the info and livening it up without degrading anyone, factguy!

Date Posted: Jan 30 2015 at 10:04am
Water mains are breaking all over Ohio, power out on Nantucket, snow in northeast. Middletown's problems no different than any in the state or nation. The great depression hit Middletown just as hard as it hit the country. Companies leave communities, others fill the void. We now have lots of coffee shops for variety. It could be worse. - Marty   

Date Posted: Jan 30 2015 at 11:23am

Water mains are breaking all over Ohio, power out on Nantucket, snow in northeast. Middletown's problems no different than any in the state or nation. The great depression hit Middletown just as hard as it hit the country. Companies leave communities, others fill the void. We now have lots of coffee shops for variety. It could be worse. - Marty   

Ahh c'mon Factguy, Middletown is certainly different from any in the state or nation. The RECESSION of 2008 hit Middletown just as hard as it hit the country, but the country as a whole has been recovering at a much faster pace.

The fact is, Middletown's problems were here way before this last recession... since the 70's and haven't been dealt with head on by any city leader era since then, including the current one. Many companies have left town with only a few to replace them, some, paying only a fraction of the wages of those who left. The "fill the void" companies you refer to have not graced the city's entrance in enough numbers to make a difference.

Surrounding communities seem to solve their issues in a reasonable amount of time through leadership problem identification, focus , problem solving techniques, logic, common sense and actual action toward remedies. Middletown leadership, on the other hand, appear to have no ability whatsoever to follow the problem solving paths explained here. They constantly waste money with nothing accomplished. They don't have a clue what this city really needs and fail miserably in the prioritization of the basics needed by this city. They do, however, waste money on hand selected projects benefiting their pals with total disregard for the wants and needs of the general public.

Middletown doesn't progress because we have inept, mis-focused private agenda people at the helm who do not care whether the city keeps pace with the norms of operation in other cities or not.

Observe the news from Lebanon, Mason, West Chester, Springboro, Franklin and other communities. None of these towns seem to have the degree of ineptitude in getting things done that Middletown always encounters. Hell, even Hamilton is getting their act together as to development, town direction and are focusing on city identification and what and where they want to be in the future......and they are accomplishing their goals as they go along. Not Middletown. We seem to be constantly stuck in neutral as far as accomplishments and you just know, that sooner or later, there will be an obstacle that will stop a project dead in it's tracks along the way. Middletown never fails to fail and everything city leaders touch turns into a cluster.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 30 2015 at 11:36am
Marty?

Date Posted: Jan 30 2015 at 11:50am
Imo it is always groundhog day here in every sense

Posted By: over the hill
Date Posted: Jan 30 2015 at 4:59pm
Marty? Needs to go. Can't think of any one that's put up more roads than he has. IMO

Date Posted: Jan 30 2015 at 5:23pm
spiderjohn, one of the great aspects of living in Middletown is you can build a castle surrounded by water, drive 4 hrs to Chicago, 1.5 hrs to Lexington, Indy, or in 20 minutes escape to Cincinnati. There's great college sports 20-30 minutes away, the arts in either Dayton or Cincinnati, love Fraze and Aronoff, and check out of the groundhog day activities each day.  

Good point you made. Wake up. The end. 

http://youtube/PpvKtonPohO" rel="nofollow - http://youtube/PpvKtonPohO

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 30 2015 at 7:03pm
http://youtu.be/WDbiVH5yeS4" rel="nofollow - http://youtu.be/WDbiVH5yeS4

The end.

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 30 2015 at 8:46pm
Please read the Agenda for 2-03-2015...The HUD CONSOLIDATED PLAN
And then tell me again about the All American City of 2020

Date Posted: Jan 31 2015 at 10:35am
I can make it work here Acclaro
Love my home-worth half of what I have in it
Lot of good places within an hour
Close to airports
Stefanos-johnnys-bbq central-middies
KISS

Date Posted: Jan 31 2015 at 10:52am
Same boat you are in. House valued less than it was 25 years ago, pay nearly 550 Kk on insurance rebuild while tax value a fraction. 

Got your well made point. Same thing over and over isn't changing anything. Hit highway, enjoy what's around in short distance, throw in allegators in water surrounding castle, and core dump the insanity and utterly falsehoods coming out of the tower, aka 'its getting better.' 

The average life span for mankind will be 205 years before Middletown will ever be an All American city, with the biggest impediment being something as basic as roads being maintained to acceptable standards, disregarding crime, school performance, progress, and taxes.

Groundhog Day stale. Time out for me. Chow.        

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 31 2015 at 11:35am
I like Marty K--I could work with him
Would take him out of decision-making, and use him to carry out my decisions lol
He is knowledgeable and would be a big help
Might work on his personal warm/fuzzy skills towards citizens
Everyone has value if positioned properly

Posted By: MIDDPROUD
Date Posted: Feb 05 2015 at 8:42am
I think its great that so many people on this site have great OPINIONS/IDEAS about all subjects city related.  Why don't all of you get out from behind your computer monitors and get in touch with Mr. Adkins and let him know how you the tax paying citizens of Middletown can solve all of the currant/future problems.

We all know the roads are bad, schools are bad, lack of police and fire protection, heroin epidemic ect.  These are all items everyone of us know exist.  All of you need to tell the city what they can do to raise capitol to improve and solve all of these issues.

You elected five people to council, to be your voices and they elected Mr. Adkins, six people to solve this cities issues.
There are 48,000 additional minds/ideas out here that need to be heard.  You all need to show up at city council meetings and tell the six in charge what you think needs to be done to solve these problems.

This is our city, we should be voicing our ideas.  If we feel our leaders are out of touch with the direction we want them to go, then tell them face to face!

Date Posted: Feb 05 2015 at 8:54am
We all know the roads are bad, the schools are bad, lack of police and fire protection, heroin problem ect.. These are all items everyone of us know exist.  All of you need to tell the city what they can do to raise capitol to improve and or solve all of the issues.

Hmmm....City Hall didn't want to hear from us BEFORE they spent all the money, raided all the funds and gave away all the buildings downtown.

Posted By: MIDDPROUD
Date Posted: Feb 05 2015 at 11:17am
Maybe we need new leadership!

Posted By: Trotwood
Date Posted: Feb 15 2015 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Factguy: You better check with "Trotwood". He claims AK will be shut down to build the new Cin/Day International Airport, which will be the driver for the "brighter future" downtown!!!

(His fantasy has about the same chance as yours.)

Not quite Mr. Presta.

If Middletown wants to move forward, I don't see how AK can be a part of that future.

If the Cin-Day region wants to move forward, hosting a hub airport would help out a lot. And the footprint of AK Steel + Suncoke is about the same size as Harsfield-Jackson Airport in Atlanta. 

After all, if combined, the Cin-Day metroplex is the 14th largest metro in the US? And whose idea was it anyways to put the airport in KY??

Convert Cincinnati to a logistics hub airport for DHL and other carriers, and covert Dayton's to a drone testing zone.

But no, I don't believe having a hub airport in MIddletown would help its image one iota. Air pollution would simply become noise pollution instead. But at least people seem to be more tolerant of living near airports than steel mills.... ask city leaders in Gary IN and Hebron KY if you want confirmation there.

Date Posted: Feb 15 2015 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by MIDDPROUD MIDDPROUD wrote:

We all know the roads are bad, 

Excellent points MIDDPROUD (as well as MiddMom and FactGuy, again I don't have a ton of time to read through everything but y'all seem very insightful, knowledgeable, and positive). But for now I'm boiling it down to this.

Has anyone come to city council yet with the idea to fix city roads by reducing their size??? Please tell me there is at least a proposal out there for this to happen.

The short list (IMO) of roads that need less lanes:

Grand Ave
Reinartz Blvd
University Ave
Lefferson Rd
Central Ave.

I'm sure there are others too.

Excessive road capacity makes no sense. Y'all are paying for it...

Posted By: chmoore1
Date Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 11:24am
Trotwood: Central Avenue is single-lane all the way from Cincinnati-Dayton Road through downtown, with some parking on both sides from just west of Breiel Blvd. Which shall we eliminate: parking or driving?   just 1 chmoore

Date Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 12:44pm
Trotwood: it would cost more in funds to destroy/ remove lanes, than to maintain what exists presently. The traffic on Breihel, Roosevelt, University, and all major multiple lane roads in the city adequately meet the daily demands of traffic.

Date Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Trotwood Trotwood wrote:

Excellent points MIDDPROUD (as well as MiddMom and FactGuy, again I don't have a ton of time to read through everything but y'all seem very insightful, knowledgeable, and positive). But for now I'm boiling it down to this.

Has anyone come to city council yet with the idea to fix city roads by reducing their size??? Please tell me there is at least a proposal out there for this to happen.

Grand Ave
Reinartz Blvd
University Ave
Lefferson Rd
Central Ave.

Trotwood:

(Roosevelt), University and Breile Boulevards were put in place in the 60's by Bill Klosterman and company. They were built to allow a much faster way of getting around town with the increased speed limit of 45 and far fewer traffic lights than the old stop and go routes taken before they were built. IMO. these, above any mentioned should be held intact as they greatly speed up the process of getting around town in decent time.

-------------

Date Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 1:41pm
OR.....maybe we need to follow the law and use the funds for their intended purpose and fix the streets.

Date Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by chmoore1 chmoore1 wrote:

Trotwood: Central Avenue is single-lane all the way from Cincinnati-Dayton Road through downtown, with some parking on both sides from just west of Breiel Blvd. Which shall we eliminate: parking or driving?   just 1 chmoore

Good point. Sorry, bad memory on my part.

BUT, eliminating parking on Central would not be a bad idea. This was recently done on Spring St. in Oxford, where bike lanes were added in place.

Before:

and After:
City to monitor bike lane use, safety

Date Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 7:58pm

Trotwood: it would cost more in funds to destroy/ remove lanes, than to maintain what exists presently. The traffic on Breihel, Roosevelt, University, and all major multiple lane roads in the city adequately meet the daily demands of traffic.

Yes, it would. You are correct.

But who said anything about destroying or removing lanes? 

Keep the same infrastructure, just close half the road. Heck, don't even bother to pave the half with the bike path, just pave the other section.

And yes I agree closing lanes on Briel and Roosevelt would be moronic. But the ones I listed I don't see how there could be an issue. Again, I don't have traffic counts, but I do have a decent memory. They don't have many cars. Heck, Reinartz Blvd. could be shut down tomorrow and I doubt more than a dozen people would even bat an eye. Don't believe me? Here's a great visual of all the traffic it DOESN'T HAVE, just to give y'all an idea....

Date Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Originally posted by Trotwood Trotwood wrote:

Grand Ave
Reinartz Blvd
University Ave
Lefferson Rd
Central Ave.

Trotwood:

(Roosevelt), University and Breile Boulevards were put in place in the 60's by Bill Klosterman and company. They were built to allow a much faster way of getting around town with the increased speed limit of 45 and far fewer traffic lights than the old stop and go routes taken before they were built. IMO. these, above any mentioned should be held intact as they greatly speed up the process of getting around town in decent time. 

Thanks for the perspective VietVet. The wide boulevards looked '60's era but I could never be sure. Nice to know for a fact.

But I am going to push back on the bolded statement. The speed limit on Grand is 35, which is probably the same as it would be as a 2-lane road. Same goes for Lefferson if I remember correctly. No one drives on Reinartz, so that's a non-issue. Honestly, if I was mayor the first thing I would do is throw a wild party on the Reinartz/Verity interchange and provide people with plenty of sledgehammers and cheap beer..... but that's beside the point.

University, sure, I can understand that being a tougher sell. But it runs almost entirely through residential areas on its northern end, and even to the south it's primarily residential or dead retail. It would be a great way to get people out of their cars and connected to one another.

Date Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 9:18pm
Oxford and it's bike riding on residential streets certainly seems to work...for Oxford with it's tranquil college town atmosphere and slower traffic speed. Middletown....not so sure it's a good match to have bike riders that close to faster moving traffic here. The town's don't match in the bike riding aspect. Middletown has the bike trail along the river making it safer for the bikers.

For a historical perspective, Grand Ave. use to be a two lane road in the 50's. I was living on Grand back then with the grandparents around the Dorset/Kensington St. areas. During that time, they made Grand a 4 lane road past where we lived out to the freeway and made the Armco truck route over on Roosevelt the main route to Wicoff. Grand use to be the truck route taken down to the Wicoff gate and the truck traffic was bad back then on Grand. Grand, when a two lane highway, use to go straight out to the freeway as you went past Marshall Rd. and was the only way out of town as Roosevelt and Grand never intersected as they do now.

An example of boulevard ease of travel, University Blvd. makes it much quicker to go from say....MUM to Woodside Cemetery. Following University and bearing south on University, you would turn right after the old Garfield school site to get to the cemetery. Relatively easy. Before, it would take some time to drive from these two points from the north/northeast side of town (MUM) to the south side (Woodside). The boulevard concept is widely used in cities such as Tucson as most major roads are three lanes a side with nicely done cactus and other desert vegetation with colored rocks in the median separation. I believe other western cities share this concept too.

-------------

Posted By: over the hill
Date Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 9:46pm
That was a concept Hamilton never could grasp. It took them 30 years to finally put the railway OVER High St. It could have benefited Hamilton so much to have 4-lanes around the city. Oh well at least that was one of smartest things Middletown could have ever done.

Posted By: chmoore1
Date Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 10:03pm
Trotwood: I'm confused; were you a resident of Middletown, or are you currently a resident? The reason I ask is that you don't understand the reason for Reinartz overpass. No one would "bat an eye" if we shut down Reinartz" except for emergency vehicles trying to cross the railroad tracks to get to the hospital (they still use Reinartz to get to Atrium), or get to a fire on the other side of the tracks. There are many trains that still pass through Middletown. Police use the overpass all the time to get from city hall to the other side of the tracks. All of the roads that you mention (except maybe Lefferson) are excellent ways to get around town. Now if you were arguing about "adding" a lane to the boulevard system, that would be a different issue. But to eliminate a lane on the streets that you mentioned (just to add a bike lane, and THEN not pave that area doesn't make sense.   just 1chmoore.

Date Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 10:25pm
One of the most significant benefits to Middletown should be coming about by the end of 2015, when circular rout through Manchester will be funded by the state. This will expedite patient transfer to the Atrium significantly. The city has done studies to bring lane miles under 400, but to date, nothing conclusive has been considered, in part, because of expense, demolition if you will. We just missed the UHC move barely; they decided against Middletown and are moving to Blue Ash. 

Posted By: 409
Date Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 11:09pm
Factguy...the UHC move was decided prior to your Jan 28 post and Middletown was not a serious contender.

-------------
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

Date Posted: Feb 16 2015 at 11:41pm
And why was the city not considered?

Date Posted: Feb 17 2015 at 12:01am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Oxford and it's bike riding on residential streets certainly seems to work...for Oxford with it's tranquil college town atmosphere and slower traffic speed. Middletown....not so sure it's a good match to have bike riders that close to faster moving traffic here. The town's don't match in the bike riding aspect. Middletown has the bike trail along the river making it safer for the bikers.

For a historical perspective, Grand Ave. use to be a two lane road in the 50's. I was living on Grand back then with the grandparents around the Dorset/Kensington St. areas. During that time, they made Grand a 4 lane road past where we lived out to the freeway and made the Armco truck route over on Roosevelt the main route to Wicoff. Grand use to be the truck route taken down to the Wicoff gate and the truck traffic was bad back then on Grand. Grand, when a two lane highway, use to go straight out to the freeway as you went past Marshall Rd. and was the only way out of town as Roosevelt and Grand never intersected as they do now.

An example of boulevard ease of travel, University Blvd. makes it much quicker to go from say....MUM to Woodside Cemetery. Following University and bearing south on University, you would turn right after the old Garfield school site to get to the cemetery. Relatively easy. Before, it would take some time to drive from these two points from the north/northeast side of town (MUM) to the south side (Woodside). The boulevard concept is widely used in cities such as Tucson as most major roads are three lanes a side with nicely done cactus and other desert vegetation with colored rocks in the median separation. I believe other western cities share this concept too.

The bolded is actually an excellent reason to justify a conversion on University Blvd. The route has already been separated by a nice, grassy median. So there would already be a decent degree of separation there, making it all the more perfect for a conversion. University runs in three lanes in most spots, so I could see a case being made for some sections having two lanes of traffic in one direction and one lane of traffic in the other.

And again, same boulevard feel with all the landscaping, etc. you mention in your last paragraph, but instead of cars going both ways, it would be cars on one side and pedestrian use on the other. Great deal of separation, nice aesthetics, and total safety for both pedestrians and motorists. 

Date Posted: Feb 17 2015 at 12:12am
Originally posted by chmoore1 chmoore1 wrote:

Trotwood: I'm confused; were you a resident of Middletown, or are you currently a resident? The reason I ask is that you don't understand the reason for Reinartz overpass. No one would "bat an eye" if we shut down Reinartz" except for emergency vehicles trying to cross the railroad tracks to get to the hospital (they still use Reinartz to get to Atrium), or get to a fire on the other side of the tracks. There are many trains that still pass through Middletown. Police use the overpass all the time to get from city hall to the other side of the tracks. All of the roads that you mention (except maybe Lefferson) are excellent ways to get around town. Now if you were arguing about "adding" a lane to the boulevard system, that would be a different issue. But to eliminate a lane on the streets that you mentioned (just to add a bike lane, and THEN not pave that area doesn't make sense.   just 1chmoore.

Sorry about not clarifying earlier.

I'm a current Oxford student. Grew up in a poor, redneck neighborhood in Monroe - my family was not, but our neighborhood was. "Culturally tied" to Middletown - spent a ton of my days going to the fast food places on Briel, shopping at Towne Mall, going to the laundromat off Oxford State Rd, etc. I consider Middletown to be my hometown.

But you would be correct if you assumed I never spent time near downtown. That is true, only really interaction with it was from looking out a car window driving down Verity. 

But to the Reinartz Blvd. point - why not just use University? It has good, if not better, access to the same area via 14th st. Also, I'm basing my points of view on the lack of demand for these roads to exist - simple economics.

How many people used to work at AK in 1970? How many work there now?
How many people live in parts of the city that demand these roadways? How many lived there before?

Why pay for what you don't need?
And why not utilize what you have in the most inexpensive and effective way possible?

I'm seeing a lot of bare asphalt for no good reason, and an easy way for Middletown to gain a competitive advantage over every other city in southwest Ohio for young professionals and empty nesters. Seems like a no-brainer to me. 

Print Page | Close Window