Forum Name: About Middletown
Forum Description: History and information about Middletown, Ohio
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6028
Printed Date: Apr 20 2024 at 10:25am

Topic: Aeronca 1970's
Posted By: rngrmed
Subject: Aeronca 1970's
Date Posted: Mar 07 2015 at 1:29am
Does anyone know if Aeronca experienced a strike around 1973? Bring in workers from Kansas/Midwest as replacements?

Replies:
Posted By: squeemy
Date Posted: Apr 22 2015 at 11:02pm
rngrmed - did you meet with any success on your inquiry?

a search through the Middletown Journal archives at the library might turn up something. issues going back a century are on microfiche.

Posted By: middletownscouter
Date Posted: Apr 23 2015 at 8:21am
If I get a chance I'll ask around at the shop today. There's a handful of folks here who were working here around that time.

Date Posted: Apr 23 2015 at 2:34pm
I talked to one of the guys in the shop here who started in October of 1972. He remembers in the mid-1990's there was a strike where replacement workers were brought in. He said he was pretty sure the same thing happened in the 1970's but couldn't pinpoint a date.

Date Posted: Oct 06 2015 at 9:26pm
I haven't had a chance to make it to the library. I'm looking for a guy that may have worked at Aeronca in the '70s (at least in 1973) named Roy Centerfield.

Any help would be great

Thank you for asking ...

Date Posted: Oct 07 2015 at 10:03am
I'll ask if any of the guys still around know of him but if he was a scab brought in during a strike I'd almost guarantee they don't.

A quick search on Ancestry's website yield no hits at all for a Roy Centerfield in Middletown.

Date Posted: Oct 26 2015 at 3:14am
Middletownscouter-

Thank you. I haven't had any luck finding that name associated with anyone either. Just another name my mother gave as the guy that was my dad.

She said he was from Kansas and was brought in as a replacement worker during the strike.

The guy she claimed was father also told gave me the name Roy when I met him about 2010.   I'm pretty sure they didn't come up with this together, as she didn't know I was looking for the first guy.

Print Page | Close Window