Print Page | Close Window

LED Street Lights

Printed From: MiddletownUSA.com
Category: Middletown Community
Forum Name: Middletown News, Info and Happenings
Forum Description: Discuss any Middletown Ohio area news story.
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6963
Printed Date: Mar 29 2024 at 9:18am

Topic: LED Street Lights
Posted By: VietVet
Subject: LED Street Lights
Date Posted: Aug 13 2019 at 1:02pm
Journal story about replacing the current street lights with LED type lighting in conjunction with Duke Energy. Will save quite a bit of money for the city and provide more efficient lighting. That sounds like some good solid common sense money savings IMO. Glad to see Mr. Adkins and the city leaders handling our money in a judicious manner and actually showing some balance and overages in the budget. It is easy to overspend and hard to be conservative with taxpayers money. Next thing to work on is a gradual spend down of taxpayer money in the downtown area and a ramping up of private sector developmental funds used as the only source for downtown growth. Loaning money to downtown developers who haven't produced should be abolished as well. Let's get out of the loan department business Mr. Adkins. History is not on your side on that one.

Credit goes where credit is due and that should be directed to Mr. Adkins and the current condition of the budget. Nice job Mr. City Manager and crew.

-------------
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.

Replies:
Posted By: Mike_Presta
Date Posted: Aug 13 2019 at 3:31pm

I agree that this is a good, common sense move--something rare for our city leaders.

This emphasizes the waste of our  taxpayer money every year on the olde tyme lights for the mayor and his buds on South Main street installed a few years back.

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Date Posted: Aug 14 2019 at 7:49am
Good point Mike. Let's see if the S. Main St. historical area goes LED along with the rest of the city. I'm going with a resounding no on that. S. Main St. will get LED lighting IF and WHEN old Larry Mulligan and his followers allow it to happen. LED lighting doesn't necessarily reflect the "ambiance" that they are trying to create down there. A more subdued "gaslight" effect is preferred. The chosen few will determine their lighting choices.

-------------
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.

Posted By: spiderjohn
Date Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 7:38am
Then maybe connect those streetlight Duke meters to the adjacent homes or the S Main homeowners' association?

Date Posted: Aug 15 2019 at 10:19pm
I have been informed that the "historic" S Main lighting is not included because they are "pedestrian lighting" and not "street lights".

Date Posted: Aug 16 2019 at 9:56am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

I have been informed that the "historic" S Main lighting is not included because they are "pedestrian lighting" and not "street lights".

Well......of course they are. Wondering now what the difference is or is this just some concocted nonsense as to fictional lighting jargon to appease the situation?

OR, did ole Larry exercise his role as city mayor to exclude his little utopia from LED participation? Hilarious to see the elitists operate in this city. We get what we are told we are getting and they get a choice. Special treatment once again for the pompous chosen few.

Gotta have that frikkin' ambiance down there on old S. Main, don't we?

The self importance in some people is a tad bit overbearing at times. Egos can run rampant. People, you are self appointed big fish in a little pond. This ain't a big city. Get over yourselves.

-------------

Posted By: Mike_Presta
Date Posted: Aug 16 2019 at 5:32pm

Well, bless their little pea-pickin' hearts!

That's strange! 

Those olde tyme "period street lamps" were sold as replacements for the "street lights" that existed at the time, and as I recall, it took about 3 or 4 of the "period street lamps" to replace each standard street light because the olde tyme "period STREET LAMPS" were so much lower to the ground!!!  That's why we taxpayers have been footing the bill for a 3 to 4 times higher electric bill for South Main Street's little slice of heaven!

-------------
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012

Date Posted: Aug 17 2019 at 12:14am
More to remember, mr.p—I believe that the pedestrian lighting is an addition because the street lighting was maintained(pedestrian lighting wasn’t enough to safely light the streets).

Not my bizness—looks good!
Should have been wired to the meters of property owners imo

Posted By: ktf1179
Date Posted: Oct 14 2019 at 11:10am
Wow it has been a long time since I have been on here.
I am fine with the LED street lights, we have them on the east side and they have made a huge difference in lighting. It would be nice to get rid of all the rust colored light poles in our town. It would be nice if they upgrade the main arteries light poles coming into the city, but oh well I guess downtown and s. main are the only ones that matter.Disapprove  

Print Page | Close Window