Print Page | Close Window

Council wants YES on Aggregation of Energy

Printed From: MiddletownUSA.com
Category: Middletown City Government
Forum Name: City Council
Forum Description: Discuss individual members and council as a legislative body.
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7007
Printed Date: Mar 28 2024 at 7:53pm

Topic: Council wants YES on Aggregation of Energy
Posted By: whistlersmom
Subject: Council wants YES on Aggregation of Energy
Date Posted: Apr 28 2023 at 8:52pm
If anyone knows more please add on, feedback appreciated. Anything to make an educated vote!

Council has spent money printing and sending out oversized post cards (of which I have received 3).  We are admonished to VOTE YES on separate issues for electric and gas, issue 4 and issue 5 respectively.  The post cards read "the electric and gas aggregation programs will combine the energy needs for the residents of the City of Middletown to provide more stable rates".  This is for Duke customers electric and gas rates. 

Take note of the City's press release on March 7, 2023 . . .sent to whom I don't know, and I had not seen it until finding it online after receiving post cards. I feel March 7 was very short notice. To ill lately to take much note of city workings earlier, but better now. https://www.cityofmiddletown.org/DocumentCenter/View/6073/Energy-Aggregation-Press-Release--FAQ   Also for more info:  Questions? Contact: Ashley Combs Development Services Director. ashleyc@cityofmiddletown.org or 513-425-7950.The following are excerpts:

.The Middletown City Council has decided to place Electric and Natural Gas Aggregation issues on the May 2nd ballot
Energy aggregation is a tool that local governments can use to give residents another option. 

The City of Middletown has chosen Energy Alliances Inc. 513-794-5555 as a consultant. They will assist with certification for the City, the management of the program, negotiation of rates from energy suppliers, and maintain a level of customer service for Middletown residents.  Now I don't think this consultant company will do that for $0. But The City has not indicated what their fee might be. The City has only said there will be no new taxes involved, however, our tax dollars will be used to pay for their services.  The balance of the "Press release" should be read in order to make a decision on how to vote.

It should be noted that even if this passes, we may individually opt out without charge but don't know if you can rejoin.

I have seen online that West Chester has used Energy Alliances but at one point prices increased so steeply that the company could not provide any relief.

If you look here:  https://energyalliances.com/about-us   you will see on their website that they are a for profit consulting and energy procurement business as follows:

"Energy Alliances is an independent energy broker and consulting firm that provides comprehensive energy procurement for businesses and communities. The company started in Cincinnati, Ohio and has grown over the past 30 years to be one of the largest in Ohio. We’ve been a leader from the start and continually expand our knowledge base and range of services to serve our clients applying only the highest possible standards to each relationship we make."

-------------
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing" Edmond Burke

Replies:
Posted By: middletownscouter
Date Posted: May 15 2023 at 10:05am
A little late since both measure passed, but I did find information from the state of Ohio at:

http://puco.ohio.gov/utilities/electricity/resources/government-aggregation" rel="nofollow - https://puco.ohio.gov/utilities/electricity/resources/government-aggregation

It appears the city plans to go the opt-out method, which is what required the ballot measures.  Basically they're setting up their own bargaining units for all Middletown residents and will become the defacto energy company for most of us.  The rates and fees will be paid by us I'm sure but have to be laid out in the upcoming required meetings and notices that are laid out on the website I linked above.  So Energy Alliances will get paid, likely via monthly fees on our bills.  The question that pops to my mind is whether we'll be receiving two bills (or rather three) once this all starts up.  One from the city / First Energy for electric, one for gas, and a third from Duke for delivery of the energy.  Or will their job just be to negotiate rates with Duke, and then we'll have a charge on our water/trash bill for the fees to the city (that will be paid to Energy Alliance, after I'm sure the city takes a cut for their administrative fees)?

It isn't like we're going to have new utility lines run throughout town, so whatever energy will still be coming into our property via Duke's lines that they maintain, so will we be charged by Duke for something.  Also it's their meters so they'll be the ones to know how much energy was used.  Seems like this will be more likely that it just sets rates on our bills that Duke sends us, and whether additional fees to the city / Energy Alliance is going to be billed through Duke or direct from the city is the big question.  Someone has to pay for it, and if they're claiming no new taxes, then it means the fees will get flowed directly to the consumers.

But since this is an opt-out version, the city has a lot of hoops to jump through to make sure that all information is relayed to the public with enough time for everyone to determine if they want to let the city negotiate energy rates on their behalf, work directly with Duke, or use some other third party (since that option has been around for many years).

-------------
There are two types of people: those that talk the talk and those that walk the walk. People who walk the walk sometimes talk the talk but most times they don't talk at all, 'cause they walkin.'

Print Page | Close Window