FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question of the Day?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question of the Day?
    Posted: Jul 17 2008 at 3:59pm
You get a Job with a Cincy Company.  Employer refuses to collect City Income Tax and submit it to the City.

What do you do to pay the Tax?

1)  Pay it Quarterly which amounts to more time consuming paperwork.

2)  Pay it at the end of the year with your City Tax return.

3)  Anyother Suggestions?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2008 at 7:24am
Pacman- I work full time for the University of Dayton at Wright Patterson AFB. The town of Fairborn doesn't take city taxes out of my paycheck ( I guess because I work on a government installation), so all of my city taxes go back to the city where I live- Middletown. I declare and pay my taxes, quarterly, to the city of Middletown. Does the employer town require a city tax from you? If so, I guess you must do the leg work and contact the city and set up a payment plan. If the employer city doesn't require a city tax (like mine), you must file with your residence town and pay their going rate of taxes, which is what I have to do. If the employer town is 1.5% and the residence town's tax rate is 2.0%, you pay the difference of 0.5% to your residence town.If the employer town tax rate is higher than the residence town, you pay nothing to the residence town. That's as I understand it to be. Sound right- anybody???
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2008 at 4:48pm
I think you got it right VietVet!

Local tax reciprocity is the mutual exchange of specific privileges between two taxing entities. In lay terms, it means the local taxing entity where you live gives you credit for all or part of the amount of local taxes you pay at work.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2008 at 5:13pm
Why do you damn Ohians got to make taxes so damn difficult. LOL  Now let me throw another monkey wrench into the mess.  My wife doesn't go to Cincy and go to work, she travels between Dayton and Kentucky, so would that be basically working out of your home and Middletown gets all of the Tax.  Man I love Ohio TAXES Dead
drumford View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2008 at 12:43pm
According to the letters I get from the city, they want the full years tax in advance, before I have even earned itConfused  I don't think that's constitutional, it would be like me asking the city to provide services for next year right now, I don't think they would do it.  I know this is not the only city to require this but it makes me wonder how legal or ethical it is to ask for money based on an income that hasn't even been earned yet???
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it is open.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2008 at 1:17pm
I, too, have gotten the "pay us in full" letter from the city of Middletown. I then ignore that, declare my income at the beginning of the year and pay them quarterly as they bill me. Seems to work for me and the city as they haven't indicated that they have a problem with it. Have done this method for years.As a side note: My wife, who has worked for 30 years and now is medically unable due to 4 bypasses and 2 heart attacks, must file even though her Social Security Disability income is not taxable. She declares 0 income on all tax forms (except her disability) and still has to file with this city. This is a waste of time in paperwork and to have a city employee review it.Why does this city require all people, whether you have an income or not, to file? Just clogs the system with paperwork and doesn't benefit the city at all as to revenue.
wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2009 at 8:23pm

That's a good question. I know a guy who is homeless and lives on the street. He is mentally unstable. I try to feed him every chance I get and see that he is ok. He draws a disability check which is not taxable. He received a letter at his father's house asking for taxes to be filed for several years. I called the city tax division and explained the situation to them, that he probably isn't even aware of what they want and he DOES NOT OWE any taxes.  Long story short, he was arrested, spent the week-end in jail and now has a big fine to pay for failure to file. He most likely will not pay the fine, I think it was $500.00, so, he will go back to jail when they catch up with him again. I just hope they wait til winter so he will have a warm place to sleep. Go Middletown!

Really, how much time and money is involved in dealing with zero tax returns.
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2009 at 10:54pm

Vet, What area and building do you work at Wright-Pat?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 6:57am
Hawk- Area B- across from the base gym within sight of the AF Museum.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 7:15am
wannaknow- Middletown requires all residents to file city income tax. If your friend draws a disability check like my wife does, he, like my wife, is required to file, claiming the disability payouts for the year. The city will then determine that it is not taxable income (which we already knew) and he will owe them nothing. Bottom line- the city still requires everyone to file if a resident, even though the income is not taxable. He doesn't have to keep going to jail. He just needs to fill out a city income tax form providing his yearly income. He was arrested for not filing- not because he owed them anything. He didn't need to pay them $500 bucks. He just needs to fill out a form which takes all of five minutes and submit it. It's like the old street camera fines- squeezing all the money they can from any source they can because they're too ignorant to generate revenue any other way. Is this town a great place or what!!!!!
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 11:12pm
Viet,I work area B in building 450(15 yrs) top of the hill across from all of the new construction which has been a big mess asfar as keeping my car clean.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 6:41am
Hawk- Around the 650 complex? I'm down the hill from that below the firing range.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic