Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Liberty Restaurant by Three Fat Guys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lucas View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Liberty Restaurant by Three Fat Guys
    Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 3:23pm
First off, I'd like to thank MiddletownUSA.com for allowing Three Fat Guys to post our reviews to their blog. We are a group of average joes that just like good food to eat, so we've decided that at least once a month we are going to visit a restaurant and write an extensive review on the service and food we received. To start, we picked the newly reopened Liberty Restaurant on Central Avenue in Middletown.

In summary:

Gordon says... "...to spare you the lousy details of some pretty bland food, I’ll just wish the new owners a lot of luck, because unless the food and the service drastically improves, that’s their only hope."

Vinny says... "If you are ever considering the Liberty Restaurant, don’t. Go to the grocery store and spend 5 bucks there to get the same meal and it won’t take you 30 minutes to make."

Lucas says... "The food was okay. The service was a joke. The menu was atrocious. It took us 6 minutes to get a menu and another 34 until we all had food, and the pricing was mediocre. I am unlikely to return."
Vinny View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 3:29pm
Yes, thank you MiddletownUSA! We look forward to our next review!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 4:02pm
Wife and I visted there 2 nights ago

Enjoyed the 4way chili spaghetti
Chili dogs are fine--
Chicken/dumpling(very good--not as good as @ my place) and meatloaf had good reviews
have not tried the burgers yet
Place looks nice--friendly staff and nice owner--rare in  this town
tough location, since not overly married to city govt. and/or the broad st/s main power players
will go back to eat there and support these nice people

dined last night @ the Square
had an excellent blackened tilapia dish with a pineapple salsa + ceasar salad + expresso martini
drink was good--fish was perfect-sasalad was so-so
nice people there also

nice places--especially if you like dining alone
next to no one in either place unfortunately

and as usual nice eats at always packed Stefanos
place rocks pretty much every night

also Fri,nights in Le anon @ the wine bar or Doc's featuring music by Darrel Sallee

strong rumor that the much ballyhooed(by city admin) Sugar Hi Bakery will NOT open,
so that leaves a prime location(by some bizarre standard) in the golden zone.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 8:20pm

Does any one watch the TV shows Kitchen Nightmares or Restaurant Impossible ? Maybe we could get one of these shows to come to town and help us out lol

Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 9:14pm
Tried Liberty one day and the service was terrible -- basically ignored by staff. Total chaos in there. I will grant that a new biz is hard to get off the ground and there will be some glitches. I will give them another week or two to sort things out, go in again, and give them one more chance.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 9:56pm
I'm sorry to see these reviews on the Liberty.
However when I heard that the Liberty was going to open again my first thought was they were opening at the wrong time of the year when their over head would be the highest in a tough location.
They should have opened the first week of the Downtown Bash when a thousand people were a block away from their front door
I have been making greek chile for 40 years but I will go and see what they have to offer this weekend and report back.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 12:51am
 Well hate to say it but I cant get to excited from what I read here,a kahns hotdog on a krogers bun ? Cry Vivian "greek chili" details errr recipe I mean ... please

groundswat View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote groundswat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 4:18pm
Have had breakfast twice and several friends have gone in for dinner, know complaints. Sally is a dedicated owner and openly asked  you for any suggestions and appreciates the feed back. Good God I wish everday I woke up and all my employees did 100% at their job and the equipment didn't break down. Three Fat guys I'm glad your world is prefect maybe you should run for the open seats and correct all of Middletowns problems. Food critics what a JOKE.   

Edited by adamwlewis - Jan 07 2013 at 8:23am
Lucas View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 7:25pm
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Never said anything bad about the owner, of even about the taste of the food, or that we expected everything to be perfect, but sounds like anything besides a perfect review would be considered a JOKE to you groundswat. Hope you continue to eat and have great dining experiences there, as I wish all local businesses the best, but unfortunately we just did not receive anything worthy of good review.

Also, not sure why you're bringing up equipment breaking down... if that is what happened then we should have been told but instead we weren't given any explanation for the extraordinarily poor service. And I never expect 100% out of my employees (or my waitress) either, but what we received was not even 50%. It was simply inexcusable.

You obviously have some personal connection to Sally, which is fine, but don't blame "food critics" (give me a break, we're three fat slobs that are happy with good (not great) food and decent service) because a restaurant failed to deliver. 

Edited by adamwlewis - Jan 07 2013 at 8:37am
Read about my food experiences on Three Fat Guys Review blog: http://threefatguysreview.wordpress.com/
Vinny View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2013 at 8:39am
Originally posted by groundswat groundswat wrote:

Have had breakfast twice and several friends have gone in for dinner, know complaints. Sally is a dedicated owner and openly asked  you for any suggestions and appreciates the feed back. Good God I wish everday I woke up and all my employees did 100% at their job and the equipment didn't break down. Three Fat guys I'm glad your world is prefect maybe you should run for the open seats and correct all of Middletowns problems. Food critics what a JOKE.   

I never said anything about Sally and her dedication to her business. I also was never asked for my suggestions and if she wants to know what they are, simply look at what we complained about and work on that. 

I dont think anyone can boast that their world is so perfect and im still confused on how you would make the connection that because we went to a restaurant and documented our unsavory experience that we want/should fix Middletown's problems. That seems like quite a ridiculous notion. 

I believe that if someone really wanted to know what kind of service a place had without having to go and experience it themselves then they shouldnt have just a bunch of BS reviews because we like the owner and know she cares about her business. We went, we had lunch, the food was okay and the service was bad, we went home and wrote about it, so sue us for being honest. 

Like Lucas said, we are only three guys that enjoy going out and eating. Things dont need to be perfect, they just need to be reasonable and if they arent, an explanation is all that is necessary. Sorry if you are offended :(
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 11:04am
This is all I know:

I got a call on my cell while at work a few week ago. The call was from a good friend who never calls me during the work day, so I answered it.

Mu friend had just left The Liberty and was so pissed off  over the experience he said he had to call someone and vent. LOL

I really hope they get things worked out.

Edited by arwendt - Jan 08 2013 at 11:09am
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
Gordon View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by groundswat groundswat wrote:

.. Three Fat guys I'm glad your world is prefect maybe you should run for the open seats and correct all of Middletowns problems. Food critics what a JOKE.   

Right, living in Middletown we've all been spoiled by that "perfect world".  What a joke!
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 1:59pm
Sorry but I still cant get over the cheap hotdog on a cheap hotdog bun what a big let down.The chilli dogs to me were the single thing that I remembered about the old Liberty.How could the new owners show such a total lack of judgement? Whats next Aldis hot dog chilli sauce ? I will keep paying my 1.50 (2 for 3.00) for Rallys chilli dogs and save some money these are actualy pretty tastey if you haven't  tried one lately Big smile
Lucas View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Bocephus Bocephus wrote:

Sorry but I still cant get over the cheap hotdog on a cheap hotdog bun what a big let down.The chilli dogs to me were the single thing that I remembered about the old Liberty.How could the new owners show such a total lack of judgement? Whats next Aldis hot dog chilli sauce ? I will keep paying my 1.50 (2 for 3.00) for Rallys chilli dogs and save some money these are actualy pretty tastey if you haven't  tried one lately Big smile

Thank you Bocephus! I mean, the picture really does speak for itself.

And as I've (we've?) stated before, I'm not knocking the owner or taste of the food. It was the service that was so bad and the "basic" food products just didn't make up for it.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 4:06pm
Took my family back there last night.
Reasonable customer traffic.
We all went in different menu directions.
Meatloaf/mashed/mac&chs
Bacon/blue burger fries
3way
Chili dog deluxe

Burger was ok-fries not
Meatloaf was ok(mine is better IMO) mAshed&mac were real and good
3way was fine-I go 4way
Dog was good
Give it a try bo

Service a little slow
Nbd
Sugar Hi cupcake was a big hit
U could do much worse around here IMO

But if u don't like it--nbd my way
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2013 at 4:25pm
Spiderjohn- looking for fresh baked goods at your location?  I understand the Sugar Hi contact is looking to sell in local businesses? 

Her stuff looks amazing.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 7:49pm
Swohio

You got any pics of her amazing stuff??

Pacman
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2013 at 8:10pm
Pac -

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sugar-Hi-Cafe/

http://www.sugarhicafe.com/
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 9:31pm
I went back to The Liberty today hoping that the initial kinks had been worked out. My companion and I enjoyed what we ordered and there was no problem with the service. We will be back!
Lucas View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 8:46am
Excellent to hear Stanky! We'll try it out again in a month or so and give an update as well!
Read about my food experiences on Three Fat Guys Review blog: http://threefatguysreview.wordpress.com/
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 8:04pm
I've had a few good meals there too.  I think we should support a local establishment and give it a little more attention and support than a regular chain restaurant.  For all of us who like to complain about this town, I think this is our chance to support another local business (as long as they are doing a good job).  It's hard to complain about downtown if you won't even try out what is there now.
Lucas View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Bill Bill wrote:

I've had a few good meals there too.  I think we should support a local establishment and give it a little more attention and support than a regular chain restaurant.  For all of us who like to complain about this town, I think this is our chance to support another local business (as long as they are doing a good job).  It's hard to complain about downtown if you won't even try out what is there now.

Couldn't agree more! That's why I'm definitely willing to go back and give it another chance, but if service is even REMOTELY close to what I had last time then... I just can't justify it :'(
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 11:04am
Went to Liberty again recently and it was rather empty.  it's funny how whether a place is busy or not really impacts your impression of it.  This was about the 4th or 5th time I've been in.  The feeling I get is that their business plan is to open the doors and say that they have the old chili recipe.  Yippee.  You need more than that.  (That chili has way too much bite in it for my taste).  All the other dishes I have tried have been fine...just not special.  I don't know if there's much cooking going on (seasoning, mulitple ingredients, etc) rather than heat 'n' eat stuff.  People aren't flock to a diner just cuz you're open.  You need to draw them in.  I will be back, if only to support them, but I don't see good things ahead unless they put a little more effort into the food.  (that pizza is awful, by the way)
michellepinto View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michellepinto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 8:31am
Thee product and quality is what gives a business its class and name. Bad product bad business. It's that simple.
Lucas View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2013 at 3:05pm
The Three Fat Guys are back! We're going to be going to the Liberty in the next couple weeks and give them one more try now that they've had some time to 'get their act together.' We'll post our findings...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic