FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Were you ready for the power outage?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Were you ready for the power outage?
    Posted: Sep 16 2008 at 10:13am
We were not.
We only have cadles to last about 3 nights.
We had very litle food that could last without being in the fridge.
Our radio had no batteries.
We had no cash in the house.
No generator.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2008 at 11:20am
Plenty of candles-battery operated radio/black and white TV with a 5" screen-hard to get use to with normal 100+ channels from Direct TV/big screen TV-food in frig discarded-food in freezer brought in to work- water- cold showers at 5AM before work as electric hot water tank has run out. Flashlights/batteries ok- waited 2 hours at BP on Grand and Briel yesterday for the priviledge of paying $4.10/gal for 89 octane- cooking hamburgers on grill last night- ran out of propane- went to three places before finding some propane at Duke out by I-75- came back and finished cooking the burgers. I know that Duke is probably doing the best they can but with over 500,000 people without power and with only 50,000 being brought on line yesterday, it looks like it may be a long wait for all of us. Hope not. While waiting in the gas line in front of the Middletown Shopping Center yesterday, saw three Duke Energy trucks hitting the Burger King around 3:30PM. Guess they have to eat sometime, right?
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2008 at 2:03pm
Radios but wrong batteries but we did have candles and flashlights though.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2008 at 9:51pm
Funny how the Power Grid works.  Ours went out at about 3:00 pm Sunday and came back on at about 11:00pm Sunday night.  We are one of the more fortunate ones.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2008 at 6:45am
Power back on at 8:30PM Tuesday evening in the Rachel Lane/Rosedale area. Life is good once again with hot showers and no flashlights or candles. Now, to restock the frig, watch a TV that has a bigger screen than 5" and get back to "normal". Just got a taste of what the folks down in Louisiana and Texas are going through didn't we? I have a new appreciation of their struggle. God bless 'em all.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2008 at 8:41am
I was very ready at my residence(which is still down at this time).

My businesses have suffered tremendously with a huge loss of product.
No real way to save it with everything down for miles. Donated as much as possible and salvageable. Many were gracious and courteous--many were downright savages.
Sunday and Monday were like watching "The Night of the Living Dead" with zombies roaming the streets looking to steal whatever possible.

Late Monday and yesterday brought some beautiful sights of people working their way through the situation and helping each other. This will bring us together as neighbors I hope.

No big issues with the city.
Duke has really dropped the ball, imo.
My daughter lives 30 minutes north of Galveston Island, and was evacuated last Thursday. Her family returned Sun.evening to MUCH worse devastation, and had power restored by yesterday afternoon.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2008 at 8:56am
Spider I wonder how many Duke Energy Crews were sent to Texas for Ike before he visited us leaving this area shorthanded and waiting for Duke Crews from North Carloina as backup?
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2008 at 3:56pm
If you have not yet seen this Duke has a page I just posted about that plots the power outages on a map of South West Ohio.

Middletown and Hamilton ( no surprise ) look to  have the highest concentrations of problems.

Click here for the Duke Power Outage Map.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2008 at 3:58pm
And for the record: Next time I want more cookies in the pantry and a real radio.

Also might think about a small generator to run the sump pump. We are all very lucky it has not rained.
Ernie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2008 at 3:27pm
Yes I was ready and if it was more sever I would be ready for it. Generator was the big helping hand. So sad that so many people do not ready them selves. Middletown does not have a clew on bad situations. I only had one problen and that was the cell phone. Mom and dad has to make sure every kid 5 years and older can text and talk which bogged down the system. Then you had stupid people driving around looking at everything only to find their gas tank empty then complaining how long the gas lines were then complaining why we had no gas. Humans are for the most part very stupid people. Middletown had there city employes watering flowers Monday morning. I saw this with my own eyes. I can go on and on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic