FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

You missed it.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You missed it.
    Posted: Jun 13 2017 at 8:38pm
Folks,

Sometimes you have to go along with things and let the good things happen (sometime by accident - sometimes by force) and for those of you cowards out here who want to hide behind your screen name and say all manner of things about our council, police, city manager, et.al. - YOU MISSED IT!

I can honestly say that the City Manager so many of you describe didn't show up tonight.  The city manager that I have envisioned him to be - is the one that showed up.

What a wonderful discussion - all points of view expressed - and no one called anyone names, no one had a vendetta, solutions were discussed.  Some very interesting pieces of information (that were all POSITIVE things happening in our community) were discussed (some I had no idea about) and I truly believe that Chief Muterspaw, Lieutenant Cunningham and the entire police force are committed to serving the needs of our community and they are vigorously (within the constraints of the law - and let's just say they are truly constrained by Ohio state law) working to root out the drug lords and all crime from our city.

Mr. Adkins was also there and I was very happy that he attended.  Those of you who think he's not approachable are just flat out wrong.  I'm not going to say that he thinks all my ideas are great and he's going to run Middletown my way for the rest of his tenure - but I will say he has a firm grasp on what needs to be done to make sure that Middletown is prepared for the growth that is headed our way (and understands the immediacy of it) and is trying his best to balance that against the needs of the old city as well - and I'd hate to be in his shoes.  As the old saying goes, you can't please all the people all the time....

If was a great glimpse into the character of our city leaders - and let's not to forget that Mr. Bohannon was also in attendance.  If you were there - and you still think that our leaders are out of touch - you weren't paying attention.  At all.

I'm quite optimistic about what I heard and saw at tonights forum - and even though it was poorly attended - it was positive and it makes me all the more desirious to work with our leaders to Make Middletown Great Again!  (Don't repeat that - Trump might sue us.) 

I'm going to put my money where my mouth is.  I volunteered to Mr. Adkins that I'd give my time to him and the city leaders anytime - and I stand by it.  I'm self-employed so I have LOTS of time and I'm prepared to allow them to use me in any way they wish.  We should all be this willing.

My final takeaway from this is that you have a City Manager who understands the past.  But he can't change the past.  He can't rewrite history.  All he can do is pick up the pieces of the tattered, shattered and battered city and try to build it back to a great place to live, raise a family, work and play.  That's what he's trying to do - but it took 4 years to destroy it - it's going to take a few years to put it back together better than it was.....we need to support his ideas, provide input (and for you naysayers - he's listening - you're just shouting instead of providing on-point solutions) and give him some backing.  

I for one was impressed - and was very satisfied at the conversation that we had.  It wasn't long enough - but it was a great start.  Next time - everyone should attend.  I'll even buy your coffee.

Bob
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2017 at 11:03pm
What do Middletonians believe about certain prime community betterment issues that need to be addressed over the
next decade?

Should the City of Middletown continue the priorities, policies, plans and programs of the past eight years?

Should the City of Middletown consider other exemplary priorities, policies, plans and programs for the next decade?

In the upcoming decade will forthcoming priorities, policies, plans and programs represent the highest an best use of
public funding thereby successfully addressing a myriad of housing, commercial, employment, infrastructure and
other needs?

I am glad that tonight's meeting took place.  It was a first start occasion.  Hopefully, future meetings will become more
topic specific with current priorities, policies, plans and programs being interactively discussed.

Analytical View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analytical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2017 at 10:32am
Both short- and longer-range community betterment priorities, policies, plans and programs of the city will no longer have access to multi-million dollar HUD grants such as the Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) due to Federal budget limitations.  Second, it appears that HUD formula funding for CDBG and HOME Programs may possibly decline over the short- and long-range time frame too.  And, since city staff already "tapped reserve funds" like the Owner-Occupied Revolving Loan Fund and the NSP Purchase-Rehab-Resale Revolving Loan Fund for massive residential demolition, what other sources of taxpayers funds are available for stalled/envisioned "downtown" projects plus badly needed housing/neighborhood betterment undertakings?

IMHO, the shortfall of "gap financing" capital will severely limit the city's community betterment opportunities.  The matters contained herewith demand open and honest dialogue with Middletown's citizenry.  Anything short of that is merely pleasant "Window Dressing" on the part of city staff and city council members.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2017 at 4:30pm
forgot about it----
thanx 4 the effort budbob(you made a difference!) and to those in Admin and on Council for attending--hopefully the beginning of constructive and inclusive dialogue.

I really didn't have any ?s, but would have liked to hear answers and info. As I have said repeatedly, I have always found Mr.A, the Chief and Lt.Cunningham approachable, honest and open.

So--who attended?
Will we read a summation in the Journal News?
Next round?
What A City View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote What A City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2017 at 3:25pm
The meeting ended abruptly. Mr. Adkins, the Chief and others got up quickly and we all disbanded in quick fashion. 

Wanted to ask Mr.Adkins a question on his views on what seems to be a downtown infatuation with the city building and the Journal. It appears, by the numerous, repetitive articles in the Journal, and the ever present story about the success of the downtown vision by the city leaders, that the city is solely focused on the downtown area with the rest of the city getting a passing thought if that.

Just wondering, Mr. Adkins, why it would appear to some of us  that most of the city's energy and direction (and money) is on this area despite the extremely long time it has taken you to get to the point you are at now? The "slim pickins" as to choice and interest is still not enough of a reason to venture downtown for most.

The introduction of Cincy State, the PAC, Beau Verre, specialty stores and upscale dining is still not a catalyst for traffic and activity in your downtown and  hasn't caught fire after many years. The arts theme for the downtown with supporting "upscale" restaurants and entertainment hasn't exactly caught the interest of people in any noticeable numbers either.

So how do you explain why the downtown area hasn't taken off like the plan said it was going to do many years ago? How would the downtown partnership explain why there are still more storefronts that are vacant than occupied?  And why do the downtown merchants insist on offering a theme that most in Middletown are not interested in? There have been several references in this forum where people have gone downtown  on a Friday or Saturday evening, when activity should be peaking, and have described the streets as deserted with little going on down there. If this is true, how do you explain why this is occurring if this is the place to be in Middletown?

The typical downtown supporter response would be to "give it more time" or "there are more plans in the pipeline" but one has to draw the line in the sand as to effort and money spent versus the reward after a reasonable time frame. I believe we have met or exceeded that time frame to make a judgement call as to whether this endeavor has produced viable results or not, don't you?  If so, let's change course and start concentrating on other parts of the city as to effort and let the downtown develop on it's own in a private sector manner without city money help. 

Curious as to your answer on this topic.

Thank you in advance for any response. 
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2017 at 10:13pm
I dunno---the expense/obsession with the former downtown area seriously pre-dates Mr.A by at least a decade(those that know me are aware that I have been bitching about it for close to 20 years and was a member of the Council-appointed Downtown Partnership). It was in full swing when Mr.A came to town and is now to big/expensive of an investment to let it fail(especially since the other shopping/retail/entertainment areas have faded away). I can understand why it is what it is.

It is also getting a little better since there are few other local options left. The coffee shop--the wine bar--the new restaurant--the bike shop--the free music nights--a few specialty shops--all have a positive direction and it is beginning to work but with a hefty long-running cost. Police presence is keeping the junkies/thieves out, but entrenched in many other neighborhoods.

So--anyone know what is up with DMI since the director lady resigned?

Maybe Mr.A, the police and EMT have done pretty much all that they can do around here, and once again, it is what it is--this is honestly who we are. People can only do so much before nothing else matters....If any of them chose to leave for a change of scenery, who could fault them?? Not me--who honestly could and would come here and magically make it all better?? Who can fix the opiate mess??--throwing $$ at it chanes nothing imo. Teaching people to live more responsibly seems to be the only sensible approach.

Best thing that we all could do is to quit punching one another and attempt to be more open/inclusive/understanding. Our differences are normal, and pretty much everyone has something to add to the mix. It is a small town--we are always in each other's faces to some degree.

I may have missed this last meeting but not much else over the last 40 years...like the final lines in the movie Grand Hotel.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic