FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bash Cash?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bash Cash?
    Posted: Oct 19 2013 at 8:52am
The Broad Street Bash uses public space and support for their events. Do the organizers of the Bash report on how the cash from their publicly supported events are used?
Miss Kitty View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Kitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2013 at 9:52pm
I'm sure they have to report their profits and how they're using them.
Why do you care? Have you done any investigating before your post?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2013 at 8:16am
Wrong!
No public reporting of any kind.
Again, where does the cash go?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2013 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

The Broad Street Bash uses public space and support for their events. Do the organizers of the Bash report on how the cash from their publicly supported events are used?

SMITH PARK (ALL PARKS) IS (ARE) A PUBLIC SPACE AND USES PUBLIC SUPPORT FOR THEIR SOCCER MATCHES. DO THE SOCCER TOURNAMENT FOLKS REPORT ON THE CASH FROM THEIR EVENT? HOW ABOUT MORT'S BALLOON EVENT AT SMITH PARK EACH YEAR? WHAT'S YOUR POINT?

SO LET'S USE YOUR STATEMENT TO COMPARE WHAT THE CITY DOES ON A ROUTINE BASIS....

"The Broad Street Bash uses public space and support for their events".
(TO PROVIDE A PUBLIC SERVICE 29) HAVE YOU HEARD ANY PUBLIC OUTCRY CONCERNING THEM DOING THIS?

THE CITY USES PUBLIC FUNDS, WITHOUT PUBLIC APPROVAL, TO SUPPORT THEIR EVENTS. WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?

"Do the organizers of the Bash report on how the cash from their publicly supported events are used?"

DO THE CITY LEADERS ALWAYS REPORT ON HOW THE CASH FROM THEIR PUBLICLY FUNDED MONEY TROUGH IS USED? DO THEY REPORT ON WHERE THE CASH GOES AFTER IT IS PLACED IN THE GENERAL FUND AND MOVED TO OTHER FUNDS USING VOODOO FINANCES? DOESN'T CITY COUNCIL GO INTO EXECUTIVE SESSION OUT OF PUBLIC VIEW TO DISCUSS A PUBLIC EMPLOYEE WHO WILL BE PAID WITH PUBLIC MONEY? NOTHING IS REPORTED BY CITY LEADERS AS TO THE EXEC. SESS. DISCUSSIONS, RIGHT?

THE BASH USES PATRON MONIES TO PAY THE VENDORS AND FOR THE ENTERTAINMENT. THE PEOPLE WHO ATTEND MAKE THE CHOICE TO ATTEND AND GET SOMETHING FOR THEIR MONEY. THEY ATTEND VOLUNTARILY. THE CITY TAKES THE PEOPLE'S MONEY THROUGH EXCESSIVE TAXATION, COUPLED WITH ALL THE GRANTS, LOANS AND OTHER "MONEY SOURCES" AND FORCES THEIR DECISIONS ON THAT MONEY SPENDING ON THE CITIZENS WITHOUT ASKING FOR ANY INPUT AS TO THE SPENDING PRIORITIES. AFTER THEY HAVE THE MONEY IN HAND, THEY FIGURE IT IS NONE OF OUR BUSINESS WHAT THEY DO WITH OUR MONEY.

THE BASH IS FOR EVERYONE WHO WISHES TO ATTEND. THE TAXPAYER/PUBLIC MONEY SPENT BY THE CITY IS FOR A SELECT AGENDA BENEFITING ONLY A SMALL ELITE PORTION OF THE CITY'S POPULATION AND MAINLY CONCENTRATED IN THE DOWNTOWN AREA SO AS TO PROTECT S. MAIN ST. PROPERTY VALUES.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2013 at 10:34am
I'm a little confused as to the purpose of this post. Are you suggesting that the organizers of the Bash are misappropriating taxpayer money? Are you concerned about the use of public space? What exactly are you getting at here? Since I don't know, I'll wait for your reply.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2013 at 10:46am
The Bash is supposedly run as a non profit organization.
How is the revenue from Bash events used?
What are the expenses?
How are expenses documented?
Who is responsible for accounting for the income and expenses?
What disclosure has occurred?
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2013 at 4:52pm
If you want to know you can ask Tim Lewis or Andriane Scherrer they can probably tell you.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2013 at 6:55am
Seems like the information would be made public by Lewis and Scherrer.
wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2013 at 8:31am
Does Downtown Middletown report anything? What about MMF or whatever they call it? I'm still wondering what they did with that $75,000. What about Midfest?
Tim Lewis View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2013 at 8:45am
Just for the record I have put this information on Middletown USA before.
1. The Broad Street Bash files tax returns every year through The We Can Business Incubator.
2. Yes, we use the City's park for the event but the City gives us no money. We pay the city for Street closure, delivery of picnic tables, trash cans, etc. We also pay the off duty Police Officers directly.
3. All the improvements to Governor's Square over the last 7 years have been paid for by the Bash. Estimate of $10000.
4. We don't charge our vendors to be there. Most events do.
5. We  charge $3.50 for a 16 oz beer which is far less then most events charge in other communities.
6. The groups that sell the beer at every show are also local non-profits that do it for the tips which they keep for their organizations.

The Bash is not this huge money making event. We didn't even break even last year.   Beer sales alone will not pay for it and if it weren't for our Community sponsors the event would not happen in its present form.

We just finished up our 7th year with 10 events and we will begin planning for the 8th year in about 2 weeks. Couldn't be done without the many Volunteers who put in countless hours.

Now, here's the kicker. We really do this because we all want to give back to the PEOPLE of this community. I know you've heard people say this before but with The Broad Street Bash it is true.  

Tim Lewis
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2013 at 5:51pm
Mr Lewis
Can you post a copy of the Bash tax return?
A tax return is not public unless you make it so.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2013 at 9:14pm
Middletown29:

Will YOU post a copy of YOUR tax returns for the years while (and the first two years after) YOU were on City Council/City Commission???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2013 at 9:34pm
I think all would be more attentive and interested in getting under the hood of the city of Middletown's General Fund accounting than anything remotely pertaining to the Bash.

Not certain I comprehend "incubator" for a non profit. Perhaps Ms. Shearer confuses incubator, accelerator, on path to market. An incubator is a pre launch entity in concept, without seed funding.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 4:15am
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

I think all would be more attentive and interested in getting under the hood of the city of Middletown's General Fund accounting ... 
Acclaro,
I certainly agree, and I tried to do so for years.  Unfortunately, my thick skull is still sore from banging my head on that brick wall.

I even managed to get myself appointed to the "Finance Subcommittee".  Fat lot of good that did.  After the first meeting, they wouldn't even tell me when or where the ensuing meetings were to be held.  So much for Ms. Gilleland's "open and honest" administrative policy!!!  (I suppose I then got booted off for missing too many meetings...LOL!!!)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 4:38am
Mike, I recall that.

You were a champion and did many actions and undertakings to move the city truly forward in a positive direction.

Furthermore, you would made a terrific council member.

It became clear there were aces up the sleeves at Donham.

The Bash seems to have been a successful event; not certain what direction M29 is attempting to go or motivation, but in my mind, its a dead end street. 
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 5:06am
Acclaro,

Thank you for the kind words!

I wish that I would've prevailed in the 2011 election.  I could've made it for two years.  More importantly, I think that having an outspoken stalwart conservative on council would've given Josh a lot less sense of being the "outsider" and would've "bucked him up" knowing that he was not always going to be standing alone.  I may be physically feeble, but I think my strength of convictions is just what he might have needed at times to "lean on".

I plan to vote for Josh...he stands head and shoulders above the other incumbents.  I urge everyone else to do likewise!!!

Not voting is like a vote for the other two incumbents.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 6:52am
Just saying if Mr Lewis wants to make claims about how Bash Cash is spent, make their tax returns public
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

Just saying if Mr Lewis wants to make claims about how Bash Cash is spent, make their tax returns public
I don't think Mr. Lewis wanted to "make claims" about anything.

YOU erroneously claimed that "The Bash" was publicly supported and demanded he make financial disclosures.  He graciously straightened you out.

Now, about YOUR tax returns for those years while you were on Council and the two years immediately after, when public money actually WAS involved???
Tim Lewis View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 8:30am

Sorry M29. Not posting Tax returns. 

Yes, we use Governor's Square for the event  but we pay the city for anything they provide us.  We don't even use their electric or water.  We paid Thousands of dollars a few years ago to hook into a private owner's building at 2 locations to provide 200 amp services for sound, band equipment and Vendors. And yes, we do pay them for the power we use.
I've been forthright in explaining what our event does and why we do it. I make no money from this event in fact I lose money because of all the time I invest outside of my business. I hope this satisfies your concerns.
Tim Lewis
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 8:59am
We have a person called Middletown 29 who served on council and they are slamming one of the few events in this city that is planned and executed correctly? If I were you Mr. 29 former councilperson, I wouldn't be nit-picking this event, given the track record of clusters from the last 3 decades of deadwood that has sat on council. You must have been part of the problem in this city rather than a portion of the solution.

And Mr. Lewis, I think it is disgraceful that you had to pay for electricity and furnishings from the city for your event. It is public and should have come out of taxpayer money. Would have been a better use of the money than for them to spend it on their little "special projects for special people" theme.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Tim Lewis View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Lewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 9:20am
In all fairness to the city of Middletown, that park was never designed for an event our size. we learned early on that the electric in the park was not nearly enough. After researching the upgrade it was going to be a major expensive undertaking so we went the other route.
Truth is we may be outgrowing this location in the future. We are discussing this possibility.
Tim Lewis
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 9:41am
Mike that's just another example of the dishonest nature of this women we call our city manger. That is NOT the first time ,others have been treated the same way in hiding meeting time and places. If for one second she thinks someone will disagree with her you ARE punished in various ways ,maybe personally or your business. And others on council know this and don't speck up.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 12:19pm
Mr Lewis
Why claim you file tax returns for your non profit, but then refuse to make them public?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 4:08pm
29. Do you think you might want to cut back on the caffeine? It might help you not be so combative JMO
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2013 at 9:48pm
Give it a rest, M29.

If you want to go after groups that ACTUALLY receive taxpayers' money without the slightest bit of public accountability, then go after Keep Middletown Beautiful, Moving Middletown Forward, the Middletown Historical Society, the Middletown Historic Commission, and Downtown Middletown, Inc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic