FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown in general

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown in general
    Posted: Feb 27 2009 at 10:42pm
Again, not sure where to post this subject. I leave that to admin's discretion, just don't LOSE IT in the shuffle.

Is there ANYTHING you guys like about Middletown? I realize Beagle and his crew try to make this a positive forum. But you guys are killing me here. Such negativity.

What have YOU done lately that is positive for the City of Middletown? Whether physically, paying taxes, "buying Middletown" or just "thinking" positive for your city. I take it this is your city since you know so much about it. I want to hear positive things. And don't tell me there isn't anything positive about Middletown.

No I am not sticking my head in the sand. Tell me what is positive. You tell me why I should keep my business in Middletown.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 6:56am
MM:
That is a fair question from someone who has been a reasonable person.  You deserve a well thought out answer.  I will provide it after I have had some sleep, and some time to consider it.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2009 at 6:21pm
MM- I'll start, if I'm one of the "you guys" crew. Here's my list of positives:
1. Reasonable driving distance between two large cities.(This is coming from a person who has had more than one job outside the city- last job in city was Thermo Black Clawson Tech Center on Jefferson St. from 2000-2002) Currently driving to Wright-Patt which takes 30 minutes.-Reasonable
2. Small town atmosphere not far from the "big city" life.
3. Easy accessibility to any part of town. ie- it doesn't take long to get from one end of town to the other. Good blvd. system.
4. Affordable cost of living versus some cities we have lived in.
5. Many sports events to attend.( If you are a sports fan)
6. Educational opportunities (MUM is a real plus for the community)
7. For me, the city has provided great memories over the years and is where I was raised by the people I owe my life to- my grandparents, and where all of my family are buried- ie- I have a deep emotional attachment to the city.
8. The Blues and Bikes Festival.
9. Nice airport for a city this size.
10. Nice library.
11. Nice areas of town with homes that have character.
12. The Jug-Lonestar's patio (before it burned down) on a summer evening having a Bourbon Salmon meal with some Corona Lights, looking at the lights of the city. Lowes (favorite store to buy or browse for a person who likes to do home improvement projects).
13. No congestion on the roads of the city unlike most larger towns.
14. Police officers that I have met are very nice/helpful when you talk to them. Fire department seems top notch.
15. Wife has had two heart attacks and four bypasses-many medical issues. Have used the emergency system several times. They were all very professional/efficient/knowledgeable.Haven't used the new hospital yet, but if it's like the old one on McKnight Dr., was excellent.
16. Excellent auto repair places in town.
17. Middletown football- while not as successful as in the 60's when I was in high school, still nothing better than Midd. High football on a crisp fall night at Barnitz. Middletown basketball- fallen on hard times for many years- this year- excellent and something for the community to be proud of.
18. Golf courses-(if you play)- many to choose from around here.
19. Churches- if one needs religion, they can find any denomination here in town. Many to choose from.
I'll offer others as I think of them.
As to "what have you done lately"/positives"?- E-mail city council members with suggestions. Participated on the street repair committee. Pay those taxes you mention. Rarily go to the Dayton Mall or Tri-County to buy anything. Can find what we need here. Don't need "high end" merchandise from bigger cities. We don't do "IKEA type" or upscale stores. Telling you (or anyone) to keep their business here is a tough call. Can't help you there. Right now, with the economy tanking, there is no place that is a "good" place for a business. Lack of customer base is hurting everyone, no matter what business they are in. This too shall pass as things cycle themselves. JMO
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2009 at 6:58am

Madison Mom:

I hope that you like to read, because I have decided to answer your questions fully. You asked fair, but certainly not simple, questions. I gave those questions considerable regard, and I do hope that you will read my complete replies, and give the replies due regard before you respond.

First, you asked: “Is there ANYTHING you guys like about Middletown?”

Well, I can speak only for myself, but the answer is “YES!” Middletown is my hometown. I was born and reared here. I attended St. John School and graduated from Fenwick High School. I played years of Knothole Baseball, and PeeWee Football here. I spent untold hours at Middletown’s city parks in my youth during all seasons of the years. I raced down Central Avenue hill in my Soapbox Derby racer here. I worked in (and around) my parents corner grocery store from the time I was tall enough to operate the cash register. All of my early memories, whether good or bad, thrilling or agonizing, happy or poignant were “Made in Middletown”. I also began my adult career in Middletown. Even though my career relocated me many times from coast-to-coast across our great country, with trips around the world, when it was over, my wife and I CHOSE to return to Middletown. We could have moved to practically anywhere in the country that we wanted, but we came back to Middletown!

Middletown was a wonderful place: Strategically located; economically diverse; well-governed; good schools; small, home-town ambiance yet with big-city amenities a short drive away!

It was 1998 and we felt that we “couldn’t miss”. We decided that we could buy a home here, and I could be near my mother for the last few years of her life and our youngest daughter (entering the eighth grade) could be near her Middletown cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandmothers. After she graduated, and after my mother passed away, we would be able to sell our home (having gained considerable appreciation) and move perhaps Florida, or the Carolinas, or just downsize and stay right here!

Our daughter has a cousin the same age. He attended Middletown City schools, and she wanted to do the same. We felt that by doing so, she might feel settled more quickly and we knew Middletown schools were good (my wife attended in the MCSD years ago) so we enrolled her in Vail.

So, Madison Mom, those are some of the things that I liked about Middletown, and those are some of the things that we all could like again--IF we can get Middletown back on the right path! But if you just want a “laundry list” of Middletown’s “good points”, you can find them in many places. Merrel Wood published such a list. Viet Vet did also. Everyone at City Hall has a list of “things to celebrate” that they can pull out and read at a second’s notice. You could even find such a list in this month’s water bill if you use City of Middletown water. Also, Mr. Beagle and Company just loves to publicize such lists. I say “more power to them”. But look closely at these lists. You’ll notice that they are quite “strained”. For example, the cheerleaders will list both “Bicentennial Park” and “AK Pavilion” on their lists, when they are really one and the same, aren’t they. (If you really want to upset them, ask them when the last event was held at AK Pavilion, and when is the next one scheduled!) And the cheerleaders seem to aim all of these lists at the citizens. Exactly who are they trying to convince? Besides, Madison Mom, the things that we like…the good things, are NOT what need our attention! Ask yourself why, every time someone brings up a problem that needs a solution, the cheerleaders want to talk about the “good things that we can celebrate”! It certainly seems as if someone is trying to draw attention AWAY FROM the problems, doesn’t it?

Regardless, back to my story:

Soon, I began feeling that something was not right. When we went to parent-teacher conferences, there seemed to be an “undertone”, but our daughter was doing well. Then Monroe wanted to leave the MCSD, and I began paying closer attention. My daughter was not studying, yet she got great grades. When we asked, she always said that they were only studying things that she had learned two or three years earlier at Shaler (The small suburb of Pittsburgh were we lived before moving here.)

So, I began paying closer attention to all areas of city government, and I could see that something was wrong. I kept watching money go downtown and seem to “disappear”! I kept hearing a cry that we must “bring more people downtown!” yet nothing was done to accomplish this other than silly schemes with little to no chance of success.

Then, I read a story in The Journal that I found outrageous! It seemed that the City Council was going to vote to buy six acres across from Bicentennial Park from some Dayton developers, and that they must do so immediately since the developers had plans to develop the six acres into a small industrial park, and that these six acres had “added value” as a parking lot for events at Bicentennial Park!

I was outraged! They wanted “to bring more people downtown.” An industrial park would bring some number of good-paying industrial jobs a stone’s throw from the corner of Central and Main EVERY DAY! Salesmen would make stops at an industrial park! People would drive right THROUGH downtown as they go to and from this industrial park! So WHY does our council want to buy it for use as a parking lot when there are parking lots and parking garages galore within a few blocks that lay nearly EMPTY 360 days per year?

What did I do, you ask? I wrote a letter to the editor of The Journal, and I went to the City Council meeting and spoke out AGAINST this idiocy. I was told that I didn’t understand and to sit down.

From that point, for the next two years I attended nearly every city council meeting, and I spoke at most of them. I had to stop going because it was making me physically ill. You cannot imagine what went on, and some of the things said when the cameras were not rolling!

Next, you stated: “I realize Beagle and his crew try to make this a positive forum. But you guys are killing me here.”

It is Mr. Beagle’s forum, and he can do what he wants. He can ask us to leave, or even block our URLs. That would be his choice. However, that is NOT what is indicated by the forum headings. Most of them say that they are to “Discuss” something or other. If his intent is to allow “good news” only, or to allow only posters who want to pump sunshine up the public’s @ss, then he should say so. I am not a thug.  I would NOT try to "bully my way onto this forum.  But, if I am going to "discuss", I certainly want to try to get to the TRUTH!

You add: “Such negativity.”

If you want to only discuss Middletown’s positive attributes, so be it, but I fear that it will soon become a boring discussion, and also soon fraught with deceptions. I also fail to understand what repeatedly listing Middletown’s “good points” will do to improve future prospects. It seems to me that IF we have “problems”, we should be trying to address those problems. If we can identify and solve ANY problems that exist, we will improve Middletown’s future.

Next, you asked: “What have YOU done lately that is positive for the City of Middletown? Whether physically, paying taxes, "buying Middletown" or just "thinking" positive for your city.”

Well, Madison Mom, I try to be a humble person, so modesty prevents me from listing everything. My wife and I belong to the Middletown Community Foundation (look at any recent annual report). We have also contributed generously to MUM, the Cancer Society, the American Legion, Fenwick High School, and Abilities First. My wife has worked at various fund-raising events, and throughout the years we have donated goods and equipment to same. I am limited physically, but I have gathered signatures for various petitions and have bought many items that we didn’t need and didn’t really want for much more that they were really worth at many of the charitable auctions in town. I have attended more city council meetings than I care to admit. I “believe” that I serve on the council’s “Finance Subcommittee”, although it now seems that no one really knows who is on it. I tried and tried to advise the council on construction matters associated with the removal of the roof from City Centre Mall. (My head still hurts from banging it against that wall.) When I was healthy, I used to volunteer at MidFest, the Fenwick Festival, and anywhere else that I was asked. (I have always “bought in Middletown” when I lived here and even sometimes when I didn’t, including our last six or so motor vehicles. This is too much already. Meet me or call me if you think you need to know more--if I agree that you do, I’ll tell you more.

Then you stated: “I take it this is your city since you know so much about it.”

No, not “my” city--this city belongs to THE PEOPLE, of whom I am but one! I happen to know a lot about it because I was born and reared here and I always stayed in contact with people here. Also, for ten years now I have been paying close attention to the “goings on”, and doing research whenever anything doesn’t look, sound, feel, or smell right.

Then you added: “I want to hear positive things. And don't tell me there isn't anything positive about Middletown.”

Well, you can hear “positive things” and “things to celebrate” almost anywhere. And you have NEVER heard me say that there “isn’t anything positive” about Middletown. But I honestly believe that we are in a downward spiral that, if not checked in short order, will mean the end of our fair city as we know it. Just look at all of the “positive things” in Middletown compared to the communities a few exits up or down I-75! Yet, they are all thriving while we decay! How can this be with all of the “things that we have to celebrate”??? No, Madison Mom, I fear that the “positive things do NOT need my attention, or the attention of true Middletonians. It is the PROBLEMS that we must identify and address! The positives do not threaten us, it is the problems that are leading to our doom!

Next, you state: “No I am not sticking my head in the sand. Tell me what is positive.”

Well, Madison Mom, are you implying that there are NO NEGATIVES or PROBLEMS in Middletown? The “positives” don’t need my attention! Are you saying that this city is “perfect”, and there is nothing to fix? Why don’t YOU tell ME what is WRONG with this city? You tell me the negatives--the problems! You do this and I will try my best to help solve them! I promise! We have enough people wanting to do nothing but celebrate.

Lastly, you ask: “You tell me why I should keep my business in Middletown.”

Well, I would need to know more about the nature of your business to tell you that. Tell me more and I’ll give you an honest evaluation, even if that evaluation is “you should not.” (You can always count on an honest reply from me, even when it is NOT what you want to hear.) Back before the market tanked last fall, some friends and I were discussing starting a small business. We kept coming to the conclusion that Middletown might not be the right place for the particular venture we had in mind. Our present portfolio balances make it a moot point now. Since you seem to think everything is peachy-keen, why don’t YOU tell ME why you should keep your business in Middletown?

I apologize if this response sounded a little harsh at times. It’s just that I am such a sensitive guyUnhappy…and you hurt my feelingsCry!!! (Just kidding!!! LOLLOLLOL)

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2009 at 12:47pm

Madison Mom
    I’m sorry you feel that I and others have filled this blog with “Such negativity”. I believe that the majority of the people on this blog care deeply about the current condition of
Middletown. However I believe that something is terribly wrong with our City government when it no longer serves all the citizens of this community. I believe something is terribly wrong when all of the citizens business is not discussed in public. I believe that something is terribly wrong when the City can’t tell us where the money went and what the funds were used for. Something is terribly wrong when a small group of people control all the power and make all the decisions about where the City funds are spent. Why do you feel that these are “negative comments”?

Is there ANYTHING you guys like about Middletown?
    I grew up in Middletown and I always loved the diversity of the people, the music, food and the stories that they told in broken English about coming to the United States knowing that they may never see any of their families again. As they spoke the words Peace and Freedom tears would slowly role down their faces. The pride in their voices and smiles on their face when they told the story about the day they became a Citizen of the United States. I remember Mr. Ford who would sit on his front porch and tell stories about his early life in Middletown and his parents who were slaves in the South. The families from Kentucky told stories about a man from Armco coming into the hills wanting workers for the steel mill and passing out bus tickets to Middletown, Ohio. These were the people that made the Middletown of my youth.
    We have some wonderful architecture in this City and not all of it is on
Main Street. Over the years I have helped remodel and or restore hundreds of homes in Middletown

Middletown is blessed with a fine library and staff. I find it hard to believe that every child in Middletown can’t read when we have one of the best Children Library in the state.
    These are a few of my favorite things.

What have YOU done lately that is positive for the City of
Middletown?

Madison Mom, you have really put me on the hot seat with this question. I really don’t like to be in the public spot light.  
    I vote in every election. If I had a magic wand it would be the law of the land that every citizen must vote in every election.
    But to answer your question, I send about 20 hours a week researching and correcting City records. Some of these records are placed on my web sites and used by the City and others all over the world. I also do research for others concerning current problems in
Middletown.
    For the past six years I have been trying to restore the
Middletown Cemetery. This has become the most difficult project of my entire life. I could write a novel about the problems that I have had with the City concerning this project.  Before I started this project I talked with numerous people and all had the same answer “the City will never restore the cemetery”. But why wouldn’t the City want to restore the cemetery since cemetery restoration is among the greatest 'mitzvot' one can do, since the dead cannot thank us?
    I will stop my story here to tell you that it broke my heart when I first walked into this cemetery and saw the damage to all the stones of veterans in the middle of a weed patch. As I write this my son, who was born here in Middletown, is now in the Middle East on his fifth tour of duty…and the question crossed my mind…Will my son’s grave someday look like these after all the years of service he has given to his county? This is a disgrace to our community and our country.

But I’m one of those people that believe that all problems can be solved with the right plan. So I put my three little gray cells to work and came of with a plan and presented it to the City and went to work on saving the cemetery. Three times I have requested help from the City of
Middletown only to be told they didn’t have the funds as I watched thousands of dollars being spent downtown and other areas of the City “on special projects”.  The last time I talked with Ms. Gilleland, she told me the cemetery was not a priory and I needed to get public funding for my project.
That CDBG fund could not be used for this project. That’s just not true.

I take it this is your city since you know so much about it.
Madison Mom I do consider this my City since I live here and I try to stay informed. But over the years I have found that everything in this City isn’t as “ducky” as they would lead us to believe and that many of the “good” people have been doing some really bad things. I want a better Middletown. If we the citizens of this community do not speak out and continue to do nothing the City that we love will continue to deteriorate and will soon die of apathy. So……

To the City Manager and the City Council of
Middletown, Oho
As of
April 30, 2009 I will no longer maintain or fund the upkeep and restoration of the Middletown Cemetery. Yep you win…I give up!
However I will be filing a complaint with the State of
Ohio about the current problems and condition of the Middletown Cemetery.

You tell me why I should keep my business in Middletown.
Since I don’t know what type of business you own here in Middletown I don’t feel that I can give you an answer to this question? I would think your business would need to draw from a much larger area that Middletown.  Madison Mom, I wish you the best of luck with your business.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2009 at 4:17pm
Thank MadisonMom, you are right it is my hope to make this a positive place.

But I leave it up to the posters to discuss Middletown as they see it. We do sometimes drift to negative things. Admit it, they are interesting. Everyone looks at the car wreck, but that is not news.

Its a new world with bloggers, forums, tweeters and diggers. It is power to the people and all that.

Its ok to post anything, as long as its fair, honest and adds to the conversation.

Lastly, I think we really do have thoughtful posters on here. Much better than that other place.

Thanks!
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2009 at 12:11pm
I have been sick and have not had time to go over these posts. I have a doctor's appt this afternoon.
Hopefully will be feeling better tomorrow.
I just wanted to hear something positive. Will get back later.
I didn't want you to think I was ignoring you.

Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2009 at 3:20pm
Hope you feel better MadisonMom. We need more positive forces around here.
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2009 at 7:54pm
Jonathon                         Do you really think just because we really tell the truth about city hall we are not positive?  I think you need to wakeup and smell the coffee.
Thomas Rapp
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2009 at 11:22am
I truly thank everyone for their responses. I now understand how compassionate, hard working, loyal, truthful and responsible you are. I appreciate your honest answers.

Maybe one of these days I will reveal my business, but I do not feel I have been around long enough to divulge that information. Some of the people you mention I deal with, committees, etc. That's not to say I don't have second thoughts about things. We have learned the hard way who to work with and who not to work with. If I scratch someone's back, I expect a scratch in return.

We also have to deal with city rules & regulations. Sometimes I get more facts from this site, than I do with a phone call. I believe your posts are factual and sometimes that is scary.

When I am feeling better, I would like to respond to some individual statements.

Thank you for showing me your other side.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic