FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hydraulic Restoration Plan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hydraulic Restoration Plan
    Posted: Mar 04 2009 at 7:43am
Last night Ms. Gillaland brought up the "Hydraulic Restoration Plan" at a cost of 9.5 million dollars.
I don't believe that I have ever heard of this plan before.
Do any of you know anything about this project or where I get find more info?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2009 at 11:09am
This Hydraulic Canal Restoration story has been beaten to death. Just ask the Wilbraham Road residents about their battle with the city concerning the canal. I think(someone correct me if I'm wrong), the water stagnated in the canal when the high level dam broke years ago and was not repaired. To get the hydraulic water flowing again would require pumps and aeration for life to re-establish itself in the canal and to eliminate mosquito infestation. Cans, bottles and other trash has accumulated over the years. Overhanging trees and brush needed to be cleared. City didn't have the money or didn't want to spend the money on making the canal a viable waterway. I believe this was back in the 80's or early 90's?????? Might be wrong on the time frame. Water samples were taken to determine pollutants in the canal also. EPA/health department was involved. There is a former Wilbraham Rd. resident that has moved to Lebanon. He could tell you the whole story. If he reads this post, he can decide to respond to this subject. It is his choice.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2009 at 11:42am
Vet
I just called the City and it seems that this "Hydraulic Restoration Plan" was just submitted to the state by David Duritsch. I can't seem to get any details concerning this $9.5 million  project. I wonder if this is just an update of an old plan?

John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2009 at 4:47pm
Gary Barge is your man. He has been trying to get the cleanup since at least 2006. Here is an excerpt from a Feb 7, 2007 council meeting.

Gary Barge, 2313 Wilbraham Road stated he had met with council members and staff and are trying to have a couple of days in March and May to clean up both sides of the hydraulic canal. His main concerns and questions have not been answered. On the petition the main concern was whether to get water in the hydraulic or pipe it. He appreciates time spent with him.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2009 at 6:01pm

John, I have researched the hydraulic canal problem and it is because of my research that I now question the "Hydraulic Restoration Plan". I would like to know much more about David Duritsch's plan.

Gary Barge View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Barge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2009 at 8:53pm
Dear Vivian and Mr Beagle,
My name is Gary Barge. I am the person that brought the petition of over 200 signatures to the Middletown City Council concerning the canal. Here is a brief history of the canal. The canal was built in the mid 1800's by diverting water with a dam that was built in the river. This diverted water behind Winona St and Wilbraham Rd. The water was used to supply water for various businessess and discharge permits. Since the 1800's the dam that was erected has fell on two different occaisons, in the mid 80's and the mid 90's. In the late 90's the Miami Conservancy came in and built a permanent levy that stopped the flow of water into the canal. The Winona end of the canal is pretty well dried up. Due to the fact that from Rt 4 behind the Wilbraham Rd residents all the way to the old Sorg Paper Co. is the low end of the canal water lays several feet deep and stagnates since it no longer flows. The canal is also blocked at the old Sorg plant by their waste gate. The reason for the petition to the council was for ask for guidance and help over the stagnating and foul smelling water and mosquitos and rodents that the canal harvests. After many appearances before the city council and bringing documentation that it is a City of Middletown issue that I requested that something be done.  Dave Duritsch became my contact person. The canal is 2.5 miles long and up to 70 feet wide in some spots. The main goal for the 9.5 million dollars is to correct the problem which lies in limbo. There has been no maintenance, no clean up procedures, or any other recommendation made other than the ones I brought to council. The least expensive way to correct the canal problem is either pipe it or fill it in. At the present time it serves no purpose. The first thing that I had asked was to have the canal up and running but due to the levy that would require about 40 million dollars and there would have to be some regrading of the canal not only that but there has been other building activity around the canal that would make this impossible. Next time you enter Smith Park you will see how unappealing the canal is.  I also feel that if I had not brought this issue to the city and the quality of life problems that it causes they would have not even applied for the money since it has been "out of sight out of mind" for many years.
Thanks for everyone's concern. Feel free to contact me at glb@cinci.rr.com
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 1:57am
Thanks Gary
This must be the same plan that I have read before.
I didn't remember the cost being 9.5 million.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 4:21pm
Thanks for the info Gary.

I would like to do a story some day when its hot and smelly. Will you keep me in mind? Perhaps a video interview would be good.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Barge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2009 at 4:56pm

HI John

That is ok with me email me at glb@cinci.rr.com and ill give my ph#
Gary Barge 
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2009 at 4:51pm
Not ready for a story yet. Do you have a real yucky place we can look at for a video shoot?
John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Barge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2009 at 7:49pm

Yes. There is a spot behind my house. There really isn't any good spots from Rt 4 down to Sorg.  Just let me know when you are ready.                                                                 

Gary Barge

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic