FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown Recognized For Its Love Of Trees

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown Recognized For Its Love Of Trees
    Posted: Apr 19 2009 at 10:51am

The City of Middletown has been recognized for the 2nd year by the Arbor Day Foundation for its  tree planting, conservation and  promotion of community forestry. In a press release issued by the city Middletown was one of 37 towns to be given the award.

To see the full story click here Middletown Recognized at Tree City USA Ceremony
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2009 at 12:31pm

The Four Standards of a Tree City USA

To qualify for Tree City USA, a town or city must meet four standards established by The Arbor Day Foundation and the National Association of State Foresters.

These standards were established to ensure that every qualifying community would have a viable tree management plan and program.

It is important to note that they were also designed so that no community would be excluded because of size.

1. A Tree Board or Department

2. A Tree Care Ordinance

3. A Community Forestry Program With an Annual Budget of at Least $2 Per Capita

4. An Arbor Day Observance and Proclamation

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2009 at 12:46pm
I find it odd that the city can't repair & clean up a Cemetery they own, can't fix a pool, can't clean up the back alleys, can't clean up vacant lots, can't fix the roads, makes the citizens responsible for roadway curbs, gutters and sidewalks, can't replace rusted old fencing.......but they can spend in excess of $100,000.00 per year to stick a sign in the ground that says, we are a tree city.  What is wrong with this picture?  Are the priorities in Middletown out of alignment with what the city actually needs? 

It appears that Ohio for some reason has more tree Cities than any other state in the USA from my glance at the map.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
scrapmonkey View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrapmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2009 at 1:23pm
If council fixes pools,streets,sidewalks etc,etc, they don't get a fancy dinner & an award. Sleepy
scrapmonkey

"Civilization begins with order,grows with liberty,and dies with chaos"~Will Duran
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2009 at 3:37pm

Now for the rest of the story….what if I told you I planted 30 trees in the cemetery and they were added to the Tree City list….however I had to buy every one of them from the Middletown Cemetery Fund….and then the City turned around and gave the public a bunch of trees for FREE!

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2009 at 4:34pm
Now Vivian, don't get upset.  They just had to spend that $104,000+ to qualify for their "Tree City" certificate!
How else can we get off of the "10 fastest dying cities" list???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2009 at 5:52pm
Vivian it wouldn't surprise me if the City conned....I mean got all of the money donated in cash and services from Citizens or businesses and then took the congratulations and praise as if they had made some heroic contribution to the earth.

Thomas Jefferson
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2009 at 11:01pm
MP
Don't ya think Forbes would be 'flabbergasted' if we also had the designation(s):
 "Shrub City USA"
 "Plant City USA"
I can also think of a few others! LOL
scrapmonkey View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scrapmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 11:20am
Originally posted by 409 409 wrote:

MP
Don't ya think Forbes would be 'flabbergasted' if we also had the designation(s):
 "Shrub City USA"
 "Plant City USA"
I can also think of a few others! LOL

With those designations Middletown would be listed as one of the most ecological friendly cities in the nation. Forbes himself would probably come here so he could be impressed personally.Dead
scrapmonkey

"Civilization begins with order,grows with liberty,and dies with chaos"~Will Duran
Bwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 2:17pm
They love trees so much that they are even letting one grow out of the cemetary vault. LOL
Looking for news or information on display technology? If so Visit the Monitor Blog
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 6:17pm

OK...guys I'm going to make you unhappy.
As you drive through these old neighborhoods you will notice that all the trees are now 100-150 years old. Every year more and more are becoming damaged by the harsh winter storms. Middletown needed a tree program to start replacing these older trees as they die. That’s the problem at the cemetery.
You don’t plant a tree for yourself..you plant a tree for your children and your grandchildren.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 6:44pm
Vivian at what point do you save a City so that it is there in 25 years, nevermind 150 years?  At the rate Middletown is going it is a losing proposition for all of us, nevermind our children and grandchildren. They will not be here to see the City, let alone a tree.

Thomas Jefferson
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 6:46pm
Vivian:
That doesn't make me unhappy!  I have nothing against trees...I've planted dozens of them myself, and have donated $$$ for many more.

What I am trying to point out is this:

We are in very trying times.  Many Middletonians are in the most dire circumstances of their lives, and the City claims to be similarly situated.  In such tough times, tough decisions must be made.  Spending becomes a matter of priorities.

In my humble opinion, before ANY money is expended for ANY reason, the questions that must be asked are:

1.  Is this more critical than the other items our city REQUIRES?
2.  Can this be deferred until the situation improves?

Consider the case of the vault in Pioneer Cemetery versus planting more trees.  Deferring action (at least to the point of stabilization, but not necessarily full restoration) on the vault may result in it being lost forever!  Deferring meeting the stated, subjective, arbitrary goals of some society solely in order to get a recognition banquet and a certificate really means NOTHING, ZIP. ZERO! 

So what if we spend less than $104, 000 this year???  The same old people who always want to pump up their resumes at public expense will mis ONE photo op, and ONE FREE DINNER?  Too bad, I say.

And even though I am in favor of saving the vault, if there is an item of public safety that is urgent competing for the same dollars, then it must be too bad for the vault unless private support can be found.

It is simply a matter of priorities, and our city hall must begin to put "the people", and I mean ALL of the people, not just their inner circle, FIRST!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Truth Teller View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Truth Teller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 7:09pm
The questionable future of Middletown is partially attributable to misguided and wasteful expenditures of of millions of dollars of HUD funds received since the mid-1970's.  Those resources could and should have been wisely utilized to stabilize older neighborhoods and to improve the infrastructure.  Sadly, it seems that few people care about these abuses!

"The truth will set the captives free!"
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 7:48pm

Mike

I agree with you. It is on PRIORITIES that we get into some real problems.
It is their PRIORITIES vs our PRIORITIES and we ain't winning the war.
This City needs to be more PROACTIVE to problems. and therfore save thousands of our tax dollars.
Example..If the City had made $250 of minor repairs we wouldn't be talking about the vault.
THEY NEED A PLAN OF ACTION and I don't mean a Kohler plan. These departments never seem to talk to each other....the right hand never knows what the left is doing....Therefore they can't work together to solve even small problems for us...I could write a book on this subject matter.
The Tree Program money has now been spent...was it a good bang for our buck?I don't know...I must admit I know very little about this program and how it was funded.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2009 at 8:28pm
Truth Teller the HUD situation from Grants to funds for Section 8, Public Housing etc. is a very complex issue that most Middletown citizens have no clue about or even an understanding.  The HUD web site is a daunting place to just read and try to understand all of the complex issues and programs.  Then you have the City telling you one thing and HUD another as far as the use of funds.

Someone needs to educate the Public on these issues if you want them to understand the issues.

Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic