FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking out for US?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking out for US?
    Posted: May 01 2009 at 9:07am

Elected officials would have us think that they’re looking out for US. That they know what is best for US. Most, in fact are watching rather than looking. Watching to see if we can differentiate the PROMISE from the DEED. Watching to see if we are watching them. Watching to see if the next time around we even bother to vote. They talk...but do they listen to the wants and needs of the people that elected them? I believe WE have lost our voice in this community.

Big Brother is watching, of course…observing our actions and trying to control our every move, is he really looking out for US? Are Red light cameras, City owned inpound lot, a car parked in a front yard or a billboard really the priority needs and problems of our community? 

Who then, IS looking out for US? Who out there is concerned about our well-being, our quality of life, our very tomorrows. Yes, there is Mom, always looking out for us, comforting us and, within her best measured abilities, guiding, providing and living up to the promise. But who else truly cares about the future of your schools, the vitality of your town, and the value of your stake hold in our community? I hope, most sincerely, that those we elect this fall, from the State House, to the City Council and to the School Board...do care, do share our values and our concerns, do want, ever so desperately, to look out for each and every one of US. However in recent years we have been left to wonder...Who is really looking out for US.

It is time for US to stand together and change the direction of our City.

Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 9:41am
Amen Sister Vivian!

You are the pride of Beattyville for sure!

Smile
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2009 at 10:25am
It used to be we had 'the press' as a check and balance. Nowadays the press has become so understaffed and weak, we as citizen posters are the new check and balance on government.

Yes, it is our duty to keep an eye and report on activities of our local government. Otherwise things will run unchecked. And that is never a good thing.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 2:42pm
John
I'm also concerned about the decline of the press in the small towns & cities all over the US.
Without them we will have no insight into our local goverments.
Therefore I hope we can get many more to join us on this blog so we can share information.
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 6:37pm
I'm deeply concerned about the cowardice of the local print media.  They have substantial information pertaining to mismanagement, waste of funds and conflict of interest issues involving HUD resources.  They know the truth and remain strangely silent.  Maybe subpoenas and depositions will help these amnesia-prone "journalists" to print the truth??
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 9:24pm
Told you Perplexed you need to look elsewhere for any press coverage.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
Perplexed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perplexed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 11:00pm
It seems that the journalistic philosophy of the local news media is, "Only the news that City Hall wants you to know.  And, most of that is pure bull."
I will do everything in my power legally to ensure that the real citizens of Middletown learn everything that goes on behind the closed doors of the 2nd and 4th floors of City Hall.
retired co View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retired co Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 12:32pm
samll towns like ours  are the true heartbeat of America. Howevr all the politicians at all levels think they know what is best instead of WE the people. Most all of them have their own agenda which usually hurts US in the long run but will line their pockets. They are great at spending OUR money sending it to other countries and trying to revive a dead down town area because they are property owners in that area. Even willing to donate our money to commerical property for facelifts. It is going on at local ,county,state,and federal levels the solution is mandatory term limits for all elected  officials regardles of position or office.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 4:15pm
Retired Co
When I was younger I was against terms limits...however this has all changed in recent yers for me. I think two terms are enough for any man to be in office.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 5:00pm
Vivian- I would agree with you on the term limit time of 2 years. However, how would we all feel if we elected a new candidate, different from the others, that had no hidden agendas, couldn't be bought/wasn't influenced by special interests and wanted to do right by the people and actually accomplished some good during their time in office? Would we want them to continue or would we still support the 2 term limit thinking? Granted, this type of candidate probably wouldn't survive in Washington or in Columbus, but it is not impossible to find and elect a person(s) for our town with these credentials. We just need to entice those types to run to replace the cookie cutter    's that we now have in place. One like this won't effect change as they are outnumbered, but three or more on Council/School Board would start to change the tide. ( I realize that the local positions don't have term limits. If they did, we might not have been stuck with Schiavone as long as we have been.) But--- you get my point with the State and Federal candidates.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 6:35pm
I would think 2 four year terms would be enough for anyone on a City Council even a good Council Person.  Can term limits be written into the City Charter and if the Current Council refused to put Term Limits on the Ballot, can we as Citizens Petition to have terms limits put on the Ballot bypassing Council?
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
retired co View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retired co Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 11:13pm

Viet Vet I agree there are some who are uncorruptable . However after 2 terms they seem to get comfortable in their office and want to start telling us what we need. They seem too forget they still work for us and I say to all of them after 2 terms start looking for employment else where You're being replaced.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 2:50am

Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Can term limits be written into the City Charter?
Yes!!

Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

If the Current Council refused to put Term Limits on the Ballot, can we as Citizens Petition to have terms limits put on the Ballot bypassing Council?
Yes!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 7:34am
The Charter Committee is meeting now. If Mr. Nagy sees this, can you mention it in your meeting on our behalf?
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2009 at 7:49am
Retired:       I agree with you all the way. Two terms is long enough for anyone, we have to make a start somewhere and this looks like a good one. If council dont like it to bad. After all we do pay the bills.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic