FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many Employees does the City have?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How many Employees does the City have?
    Posted: Jun 21 2009 at 10:22am
How many employees does the city have?   According to this website http://www.city-data.com/city/Middletown-Ohio.html the City employed 386 people in March of 2007 and then we have the MJ article from, June 18, 2009, which states the City has 500 employees.  Did a City going broke hire 110+new employees in the last 2+ years?

City manager: Middletown focused on diversity
By
   Danielle Wilson
Published June 18, 2009

Middletown City Manager Judy Gilleland met with local members of the NAACP during its annual general membership meeting to discuss the direction of the city.

One of the chief concerns is making sure city staff reflects the population it represents, Gilleland said at the Thursday, June 18, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People meeting held at the United Missionary Baptist Church at the corner of 18th and Minnesota streets.

"I recognize that Middletown has room to grow," said Gilleland, pointing to the fact more than 11 percent of residents are ethnic minorities while the city employs just under that amount. However, she said a city manager's first priority is to find the best fit for any given job.

Black residents make up about 10 percent of the city's population, and about one percent is Hispanic, according to 2000 U.S. Census data. Of the city's 500 employees, Gilleland said 39 are African-Americans. She did not specify the number of Hispanic or other ethnic employees.

Steve Hightower, owner of Hightowers Petroleum, proposed the city strive to take bids for goods and services first from small businesses in Middletown.

"What about the smaller companies that are struggling to make ends meet?" Hightower said.

Gilleland said those decisions are made based on economics.

"If a local business has the best price, we'll go with them," she said.

Residents constantly suggest ways to make Middletown a better city - including improving the school system, infrastructure, housing, the business climate and economic redevelopment, Gilleland said. All of those components will have to work together to bring Middletown to its full potential, she said.

(c) 2009 Cox Newspapers, Inc. - Middletown Journal

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2009 at 1:25pm

Pacman

This is the magic of the "ol shell game"...now you see them and then you don't...however these employees never leave the city building.
We are the only place around that is hiring City Employees.
In fact Ms Gilleland just hire another City Employee at the last Council Meeting to be paid from the CDGB Funds.
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2009 at 1:37pm
Vivian >   THANK YOU FOR THE WONDERFUL CARD YOU SENT ME. GETEM GIRL.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2009 at 6:14pm
As to the city hiring people- I have noticed that on occasion, we hear after the fact, and sometimes by accident, that the city created and filled another position somewhere within their city building employee structure. On other occasions, it is publicized that they have hired. It isn't consistently revealed. As to the minority hiring- If the city has 386 employees, and if the minority composition of the city is at 10% African-American and 1% Hispanic, with 39 hired, I believe the city is at(or almost at) the minimum "required" number of 10% of the population. Shouldn't be too much of a complaint from the minorities on this one. Residents constantly suggest ways to make Middletown a better city. (Yeah, but you don't listen to them). Gilleland says in the last paragraph, that "all of those "components" have to work together to bring Middletown to it's fullest potential". The broken spoke in the wheel, Judith, is you and your group down at city hall. YOU are the ones preventing that "full potential" that you speak of. This is nothing more than passification jibberish from the city manager to appease the audience.   
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2009 at 10:27pm

More like a polite kiss-off

Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 9:09am
I saw on the news today that the city of Hamilton is laying off individuals today.  I never wish anyone out of a job.  Does not make any sense that their should have been an increase in the last 2 1/2 years. 
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 10:12am
If the figures are true, this is an outrage. Employee costs should be reduced in line with overall income reductions.We know the city is making much less than 2 years ago.

I will reserve my outrage until I have a better handle on the actual figures.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 10:20am
The elitist Middletown bureaucrats are delaying the inevitable by spending Section 8, miscellaneous HUD programs (CDBG, HOME and NSP), and other Federal stimulus monies to defer layoffs!!AngryAngryAngry  What is to happen when the American taxpayers turn off the tap to these FUNNY MONEY programs??ConfusedConfusedConfused  And, what if other City funds are being siphoned off to fund aministrative purposes as has been reported here by others???Thumbs%20DownThumbs%20DownThumbs%20Down
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 10:22am
One other piece of information that would be nice to have is what departments have had the increase in positions.  I know several people that work for the city and they have told me that their departments have positions that have not been filled.  Are their positions being created in departments while other areas that are running short have vacancies.  This creates overtime which would not be a needed expence. 
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 1:03pm
We need an audit of labor costs and the organizational structure evolution over the past 20 years. Then compare that with income per year.

There should be a relationship between total income and total labor costs.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 1:34pm
WHERE"S THE BEEF CITY OF MIDDLETOWN??

Once annually HUD Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and Home Investment Partnerships (HOME) Programs funding recipients such as the City of Middletown are required to submit a so-called Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER). In our case, the HUD Columbus Field Office is to receive this report covering the period running from May 1, 2008 through April 30, 2009.

Now that senior City staff with the approval of City Council has abolished the HUD Consolidated Planning Committee, who from the general public has a real opportunity to examine the expenditures and productivity during this most recent program year??Confused  Inquiring minds want to know??Confused
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 2:15pm

FraudNet/Reporting Fraud

Report allegations of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement of federal funds to GAO’s FraudNET.

How to submit allegations:
    • Fill out a FraudNET form
    • Send an e-mail to fraudnet@gao.gov
    • Call 1-800-424-5454 (an automated answering system)
    • Send a fax to FraudNET at 202-512-3086
    • Write to:

GAO FraudNET
      441 G Street NW
      Mail Stop 4T21
      Washington, DC 20548

What information to submit:
Provide as much detail as possible. You do not need to provide your name.

What happens to information you submit:
The FraudNET form is transmitted over a secure connection, and we safeguard all information against unauthorized disclosure.

Privacy: We use Secure Sockets layer (SSL) and GPG (GNU Privacy Guard) encryption to protect the transmission of the information you submit. Please read FraudNET's Confidentiality Policy.

Note: To use the FraudNET form, your Web browser must support forms, HTML 3.0 tables, and 128 bit encryption.

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 4:31pm
Thanks again Pacman.  Your suggestions are always good ones.  I will consult my counsel about this.  And, thank you also Impala SS.  Forbes would probably love to learn more about the HUD funny business right here in River City.
MerrellWood View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MerrellWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 7:45am
Vietvet,    I serve on the Middfest board and the manager walked in last week and told Viriginia Ritan and he staff that she expected them to be out of three offices they use by this coming Monday. She want's to move the new economic development folks to the fourth floor from their location right down the hall from her on the 2nd. She is unwilling to discuss waiting until Midfest comes and goes in 90 days. Why?
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 8:03am
Merrell -

The almighty Queen of Middletown does what she does because nobody dare voice opposition to her!  How well do I know a little something about her insistence on blind loyalty!
MerrellWood View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MerrellWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 8:38am
Smokey

I must assume you have a particular viewpoint in the inside of city hall. Are you a recent employee? I've got my own story's with the manager I will sometime put into words.
However, Does anyone have any solid info about any particular arts organization that is
starving for support from city hall or has recently lost it's support. I don't necessarly mean
financial
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 8:38am
Guess that tells you where Economic Development ranks in this City.  Out of Site, Out of Mind.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 8:54am

PLEASE!....tell me why we even have an Economic Developement Department?

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 9:02am
If used effectively Vivian it should be doing this, but the key here is "if it is used effectively":

"Economic development refers to increases in the standard of living of a City's population associated with sustained growth from a simple, low-income economy to a modern, high-income economy. Its scope includes the process and policies by which a City improves the economic, political, and social well-being of its people. Economic development may also refer to the field comprising policies and efforts that seek to improve the economic well-being and quality of life for a community or region by creating and/or retaining jobs and supporting or growing incomes and the tax base."
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 9:10am
A City in such a State of Decline as Middletown, simply can not afford an Economic Development Department in my opinion.

How in the World can one justify spending $$$ on "wooing" Businesses here when the Roads (just one of our issues!) are so bad? I heard Tony M. state that the PAC deal was a "Home Run". Well all the City assets put into that Deal makes it much less than a Home Run in my eyes.

Let's accept that Middletown will not come back to it's Glory Days and try and salvage it so as not to make People like ME leave and take their taxable Income with them!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 9:22am
Agreed Irisner, you must improve the schools, reduce Section 8, Reduce Poverty, at least get started on repairing the Infrastructure, take a serious look at your older strip centers and try to get them up to current standards, bring in or at least maintain some amenities that people are looking for in a place to live.  Currently Middletown is failing in all of these areas, despite the constant, "MIDDLETOWN HAS A BRIGHT FUTURE" moniker that we constantly hear.  Middletown must also take a honest look and assessment of what it can feasibly do downtown and turning it into a lively economic center is most likely not in the cards.
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 10:32am
Having an Economic Development department is just a waste of money until city council and our school board make some positive changes.The first year Bill Murphy was first brought in, him and his office, phone, vehicle, etc. cost us about $162,000. At the 1 1/2% income tax at that time, it took the income tax on over $10,000,000 of payroll just pay for him and his office. While he was here we lost AK Steel HQ. The cost is much higher today, but no more successful.
The following changes must be made before Middletown can start to move forward:

1. Our school system must educate our children. Failed schools are the number one reason for the decline of cities. Meeting less than 17% of the indicators on proficiency test is totally unexeptable.

2. The city must repair our infrastructure, starting with our streets and separating the sewers downtown. They get the money for these every year. It is now time to stop misappropriating these funds to pay for the city payroll. I believe that if we got rid of the crooks, criminals, thieves, incompetents and unneeded from the city building, we could not only start spending money where it should be spent, it would start repairing our reputation and our image.

3. We must elect people that will help Middletown instead of making us the #1 fastest dying city in the country (with a population under 100,000). A few changes that should be made immediately:
          A. The ordinance that keeps the city from repairing streets without putting in new curbs and gutters should be reversed. This is another way to get their hands on your money, but also keeps them from repairing streets that need repair (Lefferson road).

B. Zoning should be reversed in the downtown area. Of the 88 block area formerly known as downtown, only two streets (Central and Verity) are now zoned for business. If someone wants to bring a business downtown, zoning should not stand in their way. The city may respond that you could get a zoning variance, but anybody that has to deal with our city personnel, is on their way out of town.

3. All ordinances that keep businesses from locating here should be removed. Unreasonable sign ordinances, having to have a building permit even if no changes to the building are made, having approval of the planning department, etc., etc. The more red tape and the worse our image, the less likely any business will come here.

There are many more positive changes that should be made, but these would a least be a start on the recovery of Middletown. People say Middletown will never be what it once was, but I believe that Middletown can be better than it ever was. But it will take real leadership and a new attitude in the city building to make any improvment. Doing the same old things that made us #1 on the Forbes list will not help us move forward.
Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 10:47am
BEAUTIFUL THINKING mR.kIDD
KEEP IT COMING!
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 6:15pm
Nick > Talking about sign ordinances, I thought there was to be no more big yellow signs. If this is true, then why is there a big yellow sign at Armbrusters flower shop? Is it ok because he is a council member?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 10:09pm

Spider:

I also agree with Mr. Kidd. 

By the way, Spider, perhaps you remember a couple of years ago on The Journal's City Council message board when someone chastised several of us for criticizing city council for seeming to "not have a plan".  Whoever it was insisted that none of us "could come up with a better plan."

That evening I posted a response, and I have re-posted it once since then.  It ties in nicely with Mr. Kidd's post above, so I think I will post it again.

Here it is:

=================================================
While I am sure that I, and several of the others that have posted here, either alone or in concert, could come up with a viable plan in just a few days, such a plan would be much too long to post here.

Conceiving the plan Is not the problem. The problem is to convince anyone at City Hall that any mere ordinary citizen, outside the inner circle, can possibly have anything valuable to say.

All that aside, here is a brief outline, with no detail of course, of the plan:

1. Immediately reprioritize the city budget, recognizing that the first purposes of city government are public safety and infrastructure.

2. Immediately eliminate all charitable, cultural, entertainment, amusement, and similar items from the budget.

3. Immediately resume having city Council work session in public, as well as conducting all other public business in public.

4. Immediately remove all council members, relatives of council members, or any other persons having possible conflicts of interest from all public boards and commissions, and from the boards of directors of any organizations receiving tax money from the city of Middletown.

5. Immediately begin making Middletown truly business friendly. Revise all building codes that unnecessarily add to a potential business’s costs, such as unnecessary dormers, unneeded wall breaks, and similar architectural features.

6. Immediately issue a policy paper to all city department heads, instructing them to distribute it, and explain to all employees that there will no longer be any unwarranted impediments to business development. Further instruct them to explain to all employees that there is no such thing, for example, as the “right” architect. The “right” architect, is any architect licensed to practice in the state of Ohio, or licensed in any state with reciprocity agreements with the state of Ohio, and that any employee found violating these directives will be summarily discharged.

7. Immediately issue a policy paper to all city employees involved in engineering, planning, zoning, and other business development-related fields instructing them that personal preferences will no longer be tolerated while conducting city business. Include in this policy paper instructions that no city employee’s tastes shall be imposed upon, or even suggested to, any potential business enterprise, and to purge all local codes and ordinances of personal preferences. Include a warning that any violation of this policy will result in immediate summary discharge.

8. Immediately abolish all city codes or ordinances banning, or even discouraging, signs visible from I-75, or from the surface streets in the areas surrounding Interstate highways or interchanges, when such signs advertise goods, products, businesses or services available in the City of Middletown.

9. Immediately and in writing, explain to the City Law Director that his first duty is to the citizens of Middletown, and that this duty supersedes any directives from city council.

10. Empanel truly independent charter review committee, with the purpose of proposing changes to the city charter that: A) Mandate that Middletown’s city government return to the true purposes of a municipal government; B) Emphasize the division of powers within the city; C) Ease the procedure for recalling elected officials, and the implementation of the immediate discharge of non-elected officials, who violate city ordinances, charter provisions, or State of Ohio General Law; and D) incorporates the Ohio Attorney General’s “seven tests for compatibility of offices” into the Charter.

As you can see, this is getting too long for this venue already, but perhaps you get the idea.
I believe that the original debate that resulted in my composing this plan was early 2006.  I am fairly cetain it was BEFORE The Journal changed their message boards in June of 2007.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic