FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Foreclosed Properties

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foreclosed Properties
    Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 7:18am

For the past several months I have been requesting that the foreclosed property next to me be mowed. A vendor has been out twice this season and string trimmed the grass because it was so high and then it looked even worse. He has yet to MOW the grass. I requested that the next time this vendor comes to this address that he should MOW the grass. I received a long letter from Mr. Adkins stating that Middletown now has over 1,000 homes in foreclosure and the City does not have funds to pay mowers to take care of the lawns. I MOWED THE GRASS MONDAY!
Hmmmm…I don’t understand this statement since the City can mow the grass and put a lien against the property until it is sold. At the last council meeting Mr. Adkins stated that he needed CDBG money to care for the tall grass & weed problem here in
Middletown
…??

How many homes here in Middletown are in foreclosure at this time?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 7:31am
Vivian- you cut the grass- send them a bill and see how they react. Ain't it fun rattling their chains! Douggie says the city doesn't have money to pay for mowers for the foreclosed properties but they have money to hire big salary/benefit positions in the Econ. Dev. Dept. to do nothing. Seems a bit of an irony here.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 7:34am
Question, Why would the City be responsible for mowing the grass on a Foreclosure property, that is owned by an individual or the Bank or Mortgage Company?
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 7:52am
The City of Middletown has adopted the International Property Maintenance Code (IPMC) which includes provisions for these problems.

The City of Middletown allocates at least $70,000 annually to pay for the cost of hiring contractors to mow properties with tall weeds and grass violations.

The City of Middletown provided money from the general fund for as many as three full-time positions for Nuisance Abatement staff.

The above positions have been combined with CDBG-funded housing code enforcement personnel.

I should say, that was what they did until 6-12 months ago.

Who really knows what's happening on Gilleland's Island now?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 9:12am

According to www.realtytrac.com there are roughly 1000 homes in Middletown in some stage of Foreclosure and about 3700 in Butler County.

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2009 at 9:52am
With the state of the local housing market in such deep despair, why on God's green earth would senior City of Middletown staff undertake a widespread, heavy-handed housing code enforcement BLITZKRIEG now??

Given the large number of residential foreclosures and increasing numbers of unemployed homeowners, what's the City's rationale for implementing their HUD multi-million dollar 21st century version of URBAN RENEWAL??

Why did the all-knowing senior City bureaucrats abolish the PARTNERSHIP of local real estate professionals, mortgage bankers and brokers, plus target area residents who worked together with the former Community Development Administrator in addressing housing issues in a practical, cost-effective manner??

The local ship of state has run aground on the beaches of GILLELAND's ISLAND!!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2009 at 10:10am
(To be sung to the tune of "Gilligan's Isle")

Just sit right back and you’ll hear a tale,

Of a town gone down the toilet,

That started out on a downward spiral,

When some folks tried to spoil it!

The boss was a love-sick, power mad gal,

The planner, a snooty worm.

Seven council members skulked with them,

For a four year term,

A four year term!

Finances started getting rough,

Tax levies all had failed.

And after breaking certain laws,

Some people might get jailed.

Some people might get jailed.

Hot tar and feathers are on the way,

To this town’s City Hall,

For Gilligan,

The planner too,

The mayor, and his vice,

Six councilmen, and ladies too,

The housing guy, the money man,

Their mouthpiece and their dupes,

There in Gilligan’s trial!

So this is the tale of them locked away,

They’ll be there for a long, long time.

They’ll have to make the best of things,

While they’re doing their time.

The planner, boss, and council too,

Will do their very best,

To put the blame on each other,

As well as all the rest.

No phone, no wine, no caviar,

Not a single luxury,

Like Leavenworth or Attica,

It’s as primitive as can be,

For those guilty of felonies,

After Gilligan’s trial!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2009 at 12:09pm
Mike, your new lyrics to the song "Gilligan's Island" deserve a Grammy!Clap

Now that I think about it, I have besmirched the good names of the Skipper, Gilligan, Professor, Thurston Howell, etc. by changing the title to "GILLELAND's ISLAND."Ouch

Mike, you can add lyricist to your list of personal talents!  Thanks for the good work!Star
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2009 at 12:19pm
Smokey they do this because it is a minimal cost program and then they turn around pat themselves on the back and tell the citizens they are actually doing something, when in reality they have done nothing that cost the city anything including repairing their own properties that are in disrepair.........it is called ILLUSION.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2009 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Question, Why would the City be responsible for mowing the grass on a Foreclosure property, that is owned by an individual or the Bank or Mortgage Company?

You are right,it really is not the City's job to go around mowing the Grass at foreclosed properties. There is, however, an ordinance (To my layman's understanding) that allows the City to mow grass when it becomes a certain height and then bill the Property Owner.

Why they won't do that is clear to me. it is easier to collect from Joe citizen than from the Bank of America!

I'd be interested in hearing if my understanding is incorrect.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2009 at 1:07pm
Now if we could get someone to sing, we could post a musical video. lol

Funny editorial.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2009 at 3:23pm
QUESTION:

If you personally had millions of dollars to invest, would you put your faith in the real estate and redevelopment expertise of the City of Middletown to make sound, financially prudent decisions with your nestegg?

Yes ______

No  ______

P.S.  If no, we still await Mr. Adkins and the Community Revitalization Department staff to provide "Market-Based Data" supporting their multi-million dollar taxpayer-funded plans!
Libertarian View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libertarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2013 at 7:18pm
Four years later......what is your answer to this question?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2013 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Smokey Burgess Smokey Burgess wrote:

QUESTION:

If you personally had millions of dollars to invest, would you put your faith in the real estate and redevelopment expertise of the City of Middletown to make sound, financially prudent decisions with your nestegg?

Yes ______

No  ______

P.S.  If no, we still await Mr. Adkins and the Community Revitalization Department staff to provide "Market-Based Data" supporting their multi-million dollar taxpayer-funded plans!

NO - I made that mistake when I invested in my house on the East End in 2005
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic