FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wrecker Fee's Increase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wrecker Fee's Increase
    Posted: Aug 29 2009 at 4:44pm
I agree Pacman,vehicles that ARE abandoned tow them,sell them,scrap them and make a dollar,I'm all for that aspect of it. Abandoned vehicles are dangerous as well as a nuisance. You seen what I said above about accidents.

But I also know people and neighbors who have been THREATENED and INTIMADATED by police for leaving their cars parked on the street. Now while I know there is a city ordinance pertaining to this and correct me if I'm wrong I believe your allowed only 48 hours of street parking. This ordinance in itself should be rectified. I know an elderly man who only drives once or twice per week and he has been threatened with towing for leaving his car on the street.

I know I rant and I will stop with this posting,but like you said Pacman,enough is enough.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2009 at 3:14pm
Hermes personally I think if a car is basically abandoned it should be towed.  If you car breaks down on the side of the road get it moved.  This adding on a fee for accidents is just like getting a bill from the Fire Dept. to come to your house and put out a fire for which you already pay taxes to the city to have a Fire Dept.  Then they hope the Insurance company pays the Bill and everyone wonders why insurance is thru the roof.  Hermes you are right though this could be open season on towing of cars to raise revenues. 

Fee for an Ambulance Ride
Fee to put out the Fire
Fee to get your car towed from an accident.

Personally I say come Public Safety renewal time I won't be voting for it, enough is enough.

Next there will be a fee to have the right to go to City Council and have them tell you, "Sorry we are not set up to answer questions at this time."   It has gotten ridicules.

lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2009 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

most insurance policies have a ryder for towing expense.

That's what it is about, picking the Insurance Cos. pocket via the Insured. A lot of cities are doing it but i find it very distasteful. One more sign Middletown is becoming a second class Municipality, I am afraid.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2009 at 12:34pm
You know how cynical & pessimistic I am when it comes to actions like this. I don't see it as  being positive move at all. I see some oaf's on council and city administration trying to make a buck at my expense.

But as for accidents I assume most insurance policies have a ryder for towing expense. But this isn't about accidents,it's about the guy who can't afford to fix his car this week because he has a family to feed and then our city hero's come along and tow his car for which he has to pay $175 to get back. This is about your vehicle sitting on the street for 5 days and some cop decides it's abandoned and has it towed. This is about being tyrannical and wanting to stuff city coffers. This is about an all out attack on a class of people.

Of course if you park your cadillac in the garage of your $250,000 house it's not a problem. If you never drive the back streets and see how people live in the lesser neighborhoods it doesn't matter because it doesn't affect you. If you need a mechanic you hire one because you have money,if a poor person needs a mechanic HE IS the mechanic because he can't afford one !

Do something for the working class poor for once city council & city administrators !!

(Pacman,my ranting isn't directed towards you)
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2009 at 12:01pm
"Previously, the six wrecking companies used by the city to tow impounded vehicles and those damaged in accidents did not have to pay a part of their contracting fees to the city. However, due to the costs accrued from impounds, fees will be raised $75 on all tows, while tows on passenger vehicles will jump from $75 for a tow and $100 for a flatbed to a fixed $175. For all fees, $75 will be payable directly to the police department for impounds, said Maj. David VanArsdale."

If I am in an accident and the Police call a wrecker to tow my vehicle and I tell the wrecker driver to tow the car to XYZ Body Shop, what additonal costs have the Police incurred for that tow?  They are not impounding it, they will fill out the usual Accident report.  I notice the wrecker company's have joined the band wagon and increased a tow by $25.00 also.  What use to be a $75.00 tow is now going to be a $175.00 tow.  $75.00 to the Police and $100.00 to the tow company.  I would suggest you keep a tow company that is not contracted by the City in your wallet and use them for towing if you are in an accident or if you have AAA use them.  I can understand abandoned vehicles be charged but not accidents or stolen vehicles being charged the additonal Police fee. 
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2009 at 9:42am
More bad news for the poor in Middeltown. Don't let the PD tow your vehicle,it will cost you an additional $75 dollars !! The city found a way to make money ! Isn't this exciting ? What will they do with the extra revenue ? Maybe build a walking path around Atrium...how about a bicycle lane down Central Avenue ? That way all the tourist looking for the bike path can ride right through town and maybe even spend some money at local stores !! Naw,better yet lets give council & city employees a PAY RAISE ! Yeah !! How about that ?!!  Dead
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic