FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chillicothe & Red Light Camera's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chillicothe & Red Light Camera's
    Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 12:56pm
Chillicothe city mayor and administrators are fighting the citizens and are seeking a supreme court ruling to stop the citizens from putting an initiative on the ballot to ban red light cameras. The citizens had more than double the number of signatures required to put the issue on the ballot.

"We have intentions of recalling the mayor, as well as all the council," Valentich told TheNewspaper. "We are sick and tired to death of having legislation crammed down our throats and being told it is for our own good. We voted for them to legislate for us, not against us, and so we are going to make the necessary changes."
(statement by Chillicothe citizen)

I think it will be wise to watch and see how this plays out. Chillicothe officials are also accused of routinely violating the rights of it's residents. Also,under certain laws and ordinaces Chillicothe officials are allegedly violating the law because the city does not own and operate the red light cameras. Redflex owns and operates all the cameras in Chillicothe.

Is this the same case in Middeltown ? Does the city own,operate and repair all red light cameras ? Would the city fight tooth and nail to stop a ballot initiative by it's citizens ?

No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 1:18pm
No the city does not own or maintain the cameras.  They are owned and maintained by a company in AZ called RedFlex,  http://www.redflex.com/html/usa/index.php .  The splitting of the fines between the City and RedFlex is how they are paid for, the more fines the more money for everyone.............Wink 

I agree with these citizens if the city can't let the Citizens vote on Red Light Cameras then recall them all. 
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 10:21pm
I agree that we must keep a close eye on how this plays out.  If the newly elected council does not begin working FOR the people of Midlletown in 2010, we will be forced to follow this model to take back control of our city.

Perhaps we should go to a Chillicothe council meeting to show support for the good citizens Chillicothe???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
justincase View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justincase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 1:25pm
You are certainly welcome to join us. We will be attending council on the first and third Mondays of each month, at 7:30 P.M.   

I think it is time that the people stood together and took back their government. We did not elect these people to legislate against us, but for us.
If you don't stand up for your liberties, somebody will stomp all over them.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 1:37pm
I applaud the citizens of Chillicothe for standing their ground on this issue. It is amazing that they were able to gather enough signatures to place it on the ballot. If this had been attempted in Middletown, knowing the abundant anger, yet rampant apathy of the citizens, the required amount of signatures may never have materialized because we couldn't get anyone off the couch and involved enough to answer the front door to get the frikkin' signatures!!!   
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2009 at 2:40pm

Carlisle red light update (here's the link: http://www.chillicothegazette.com/article2009911040331 )

Red-light cameras overwhelmingly rejected

Voters' displeasure also felt as council incumbents lose

BY LOREN GENSON • Gazette Staff Writer • November 4, 2009

Chillicothe voters spoke overwhelmingly for change in city government Tuesday.

Four incumbents and the city's red light and speed cameras were ousted in unofficial vote totals posted Tuesday.

Council members Cindy Henderson, R-At Large, and Bill Bonner, D-5th Ward, along with Council President Bob Shoultz and City Auditor Bill Morrissey all lost re-election after opposition to red-light cameras brought high turnout at the polls.

By the time polls closed, 72 percent of voters cast ballots against the photo enforcement cameras, and most elected officials agreed the red-light issue worked against them.

"I don't think it was really about council and how we do business," Shoultz said. "I think it had more to do with red-light cameras and landlord issues."

Shoultz, a Republican, lost his Council President seat to downtown businessman Bruce Arnold, who has been outspoken against the cameras and even filed a lawsuit against the city alleging they were unlawful.

On the surface, it appears the red-light camera issue brought out the voters. Turnout was at 46 percent Tuesday. In comparison, in 2007 -- the last council election -- turnout was 40 percent and, in 2005, it was 44 percent.

Henderson, who serves as chair of the Finance Committee agreed, though she pledged to work hard in the past two months of her term as her committee develops the 2010 budget for the city.

"You know I can see that the red-light cameras probably played a big part in it," Henderson said. "I'm not going away yet. I'm still going to work hard."

Most of those voters were overwhelming against the cameras.

"I don't think they're fair," said Jennifer Young, a resident of the 4th Ward. "That's the main reason I came out to vote today --to get rid of the cameras."

Bill Lewis, who lives in the 6th Ward, voted against the red-light cameras and also for Arnold.

"I say let's give someone else a try," Lewis said. "I think Bruce Arnold will do well, and I think it's time for a change."

Members of Citizens Against Photo Enforcement, who put the red light camera issue on the ballot, said they were encouraged by the results of the election.

Rebekah Valentich, who failed to beat incumbent Republican Nancy Ames in the 2nd Ward race, said she was excited by the results of other challengers.

"I'm absolutely ecstatic even though I didn't win," Valentich said. "I'm very excited about the changes I'm going to see. I'm just thrilled."

As for the red-light cameras, it's unclear what will happen now that the voters have told the city they want them out. The city continues to argue the wording of the ballot initiative is unconstitutional and plan to take the issue back to court. Valentich said CAPE will continue to put the pressure on council to remove the cameras.

"We have no plans to back down now," said. "We plan to continue our fight."

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2009 at 3:39pm
Kudos to the citizens of Chillicothe ! I'm happy they accomplished some good. Clap

I can't believe the city is still fighting the residents over this. "The city continues to argue the wording of the ballot initiative is unconstitutional " Must be a lot of money lining someone's pocket's on Chillicothe council or some where within city government. The people have spoken and still the city refuses to cooperate, unbelivevable. 

What is wrong with government today ??
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2009 at 6:03am
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

What is wrong with government today ??
I actually began answering this question, but soon realized that there wasn't enough space on the internet to actually post a complete reply. LOL LOL LOL
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2009 at 9:56am
Anyone think there's a snowballs chance in he-- that we could do something like this in this town?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic