FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

City Land Swap With Duncan Oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: City Land Swap With Duncan Oil
    Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 11:57am

The city of Middletown and Duncan Oil are about to enter into what looks like a lengthy contract all for the sake of a train station. According to the work book for this December 1, 2009 city council meeting, Duncan Oil and the City will swap what looks like 30 pieces of land in the downtown area 22 of which the city owns. I did some research today on the Butler County Auditors website and put together a map of the land that city owns and will be trading to Duncan Oil for the building of a new gas station/ store. In return the city gets the 8 pieces of land that Duncan owns for development of the new train station.

Here is the map with the city’s land highlighted in red,

Click for larger map

I did try to find the land that Duncan Oil will be using for this trade, but the Butler County Auditor’s site seemed to begin to act up as I started my search. I do know that one is the old Shamrock Station and the other looked to be the old office outfitters or a building near there. It is hard to see anything on these maps.

If you would like to try and search for yourself, you can go to Butler County Auditor’s and just enter the Parcel Id number which you can find here City of Middletown and Duncan Oil Gateway Project

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Mr. Dave View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 1:19pm
I find it very odd that the the city would be give up so much land to Duncan Oil on the HOPE (because thats all it is right now) that a train will stop here in Middletown. I guess if does come here the passengers can walk over to the Duncan gas station and buy something, thats all there will be in that area. This is a joke to me, and just one more example of waste from the city building. 
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 1:37pm
And once again we pull the Old, "Declare an Emergency" Legislation hocus pocus.Thumbs%20Down
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 1:50pm
When 'time is of the essence' then emergency resolutions are acceptable. I am not sure if this was a sudden event or something that just came up. One thing is for sure, local governments use the emergency provisions all too often for my taste.

I have discussed this here: Emergency Resolutions and Monroe Spending

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 1:59pm
John when you have a Council Meeting on Tuesday and you usually throw the Agenda and Workbook up on the City website on the Friday before, that is BS and a way to run over the citizens.  We are talking about building a Train Station for a train that we don't even know is coming.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 3:17pm
Folks, I hate to burst your bubble, but it has never been part of the plan to build a new train station.  All documents I've read related to the Ohio Hub and 3C Line indicate using EXISTING stations.  And that includes the existing Middletown station.  Now, I have no doubt that the city will need to acquire the historic train station from the Finkleman family, and likely at a pretty penny.  But there is not going to be a new train station.

You can view a conceptual plan for the Middletown Station on page 5 of the following document:

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 4:02pm
SW, I don't think you are bursting any bubbles of any of us that have little faith in the Train Station being the saving grace of Middletown, whether they use the old one or build a new one.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 4:19pm
The way I see it with the majority of participants here, Middletown is damned if they do; damned if they don't. 

I can see why, with some past decisions such as Lake Middletown and City Centre Mart/Mall, why some would be leary of this venture.

Rail may not be the saving grace of Middletown, but the city simply can't let this train pass by (yes, pun intended). 
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 4:39pm

SW neither you nor the city have made a persuasive argument as to why anyone is going to come to Middletown by train.  So your contention is Middletown will die if it doesn't get a train stop on the 3C Savior Express, sure gonna be a lot of dead cities between Cleveland and Cincy.   If there was some compelling reason for people to travel by train to Middletown I could see it.  But you and the city seem to think hundreds are going to flock to Middletown on a train that runs 2-3 times a day with 6-8 hrs to make a round trip.  I am not getting it.Confused

insider View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 5:20pm
Everyone seems to be jumping to conclusions, why not wait until after the City Council meeting tomorrow night, gather all the facts and then comment?
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 5:25pm
Insider this is moving ahead as emergency legislation tomorrow.  It could be a done deal before tomorrows meeting is over.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 5:58pm

I'll be real curious if ANY sitting council member will even question this land deal. And since an emergency is being declared this sounds like something that council does not want the people knowing the facts of. In my opinion the only reason for declaring an emergency on legislation is to stop any opposition by the public.

No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 7:31pm
I am wondering myself why the city is in need of all this land from Duncan Oil if the plan is not to build a new station? I am still waiting for someone to explain to me what a person riding a train that stops in Middletown is going to do once here?If the train brings monies to town then I am for it, but I cant see where it will. I feel like this is the old west is a train really that important in todays world?
jag123 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 7:42pm
The city will spend $550,000 without any hope of payback on those funds? When the aiport expansion came up a couple of weeks ago, the $350,000 for the building will be paid back in 5 years? Is that correct? sounds like the airport is a better deal or am I missing something?Ermm
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 9:59pm
Jag - your just in the same boat with the rest of us because ALL of us are missing something.

Randy - I'm with you, I just don't see the attraction for bringing all the gazillion tourist here. I just don't get it.
wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 10:49pm
Well now, if the train stops between the hours of 8:30 AM and 3 PM the "tourists" could visit the well maintained Pioneer Cemetery or they could meander on down Central Ave. and see the colorful shops, maybe visit a gold exchange business. There are many interesting places to visit in Middletown. Ward 1 rocks!!!!!Wink
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 5:08am

This is part of the New Five Year Plan and the City will do this deal weather you like it or not. In my opinion this is a complete waste of Federal, State and Local Funds.
     What will happen over the next two years when they find out that they can’t make any money on this deal and pull the plug on this rail line?
    Over the last six years I have requested numerous times that the City get CSX to clean up their property between the cemetery and the tracks and I’m still waiting. Is CSX going to clean up all the property they own as part of this new vision?
    And we still haven’t solved the problem of the train horns within city limits.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 6:16am

Why do they need all the additional land???

I can’t believe you veteran observers of City Hall have to ask!!!

It is NOT to build a “new” train station (although they will spend more than the cost of a new station to play the “restoration game” with the old one). You should know by now that our boys at City hall can’t have just a train station. The added acreage will be for all of the parks, and fountains and bandstands and water features and exotic vegetation and model canal boats and locks ‘n’ dams and rain forests and hanging gardens and an art gallery or two--OH, and we can’t forget at least FOUR “GATEWAYS” to the station--and other aggrandizements befitting a marvelous train station like ours!!!

To paraphrase Mayor Shinn, “I’ll put our River City Middletown train station up against any this side of Chicago!”

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 6:27am

By the way, I'm sure that the only way our all-powerful Grand Pisbah of Landmarks and Historic Junk will allow this to happen will be if he, himself, oversees all aspects of the project to ensure hysterical accuracy--for a small six-figure fee, of course!!\

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 6:54am
Mike- now that's what I call "cosmopolitan" "gateway" thinking, mister!!!!!! But- but- if they put new fountains, water features, parks, bandstands and other "gateway" things around the train station, pray tell, what will become of our Governors Square(center of town "gateway") and Ms. Mort's (not ours, mind you- MORT'S) "west gateway" Bicentennial Commons? Will they just be - oh no- dare I say it- an AFTERTHOUGHT- fall into disrepair and be another albatross like Lake Middletown/City Centre Mall were? (and anything else they've tried in the last 30 years) This whole topic is totally misfocused. Why are the leaders of this town hell-bent on this train scheme and not focused at all on roads, decent paying jobs, business retention and upgrading this town in basic essentials? This "train pipe dream" is going to be another white elephant to add to their pathetic round of ideas for the city. IT JUST DOESN"T MATTER AT THIS TIME! FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME, IT IS PAST TIME TO START FOCUSING ON THE BASIC ESSENTIALS FIRST AND LEAVE ALL THIS SURFACE FLUFF CRAP UNTIL AFTER THE BASICS ARE IN PLACE AND FUNCTIONING. What part of this statement, don't you city leaders understand? Once again, the city leaders are looking at their priorities through their posterior region.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 7:01am
Mike - Gees now I'm depressed ! LOL And you gotta quit using those big words, it's way to early in the morning for me to be looking for my dictionary. LOL I have a hard enough time deciphering what Vet says.

I agree though why do they need all that land ? Perhaps a major size convience store ? Someone making some large pocket change out of this deal ? Stay tuned folks it will no doubt just get better !

See what you did Mike....you went and woke up Vet. LOL
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 9:46am
Everyone needs to think back to the original city deal with Duncan Oil from a few years ago, when Duncan acquired the old Office Outfitter's site and the wrangling for the credit union, muffler shop and small Finkleman parcel that held up the negotiations.

Duncan had cash flow problems and was unable to follow through on that project. I know, because I was approached by both the city and Duncan to take over the proposed convenient store/service station outright or just to manage it. Since it would directly compete with another near-by business of mine, I declined. Duncan has tried to sell that land parcel ever since, and couldn't give it away.

Duncan is a good company and the local reps are good honest people, however Duncan primarily sells fuel and is not well-versed in operating retail entities.

We have a need for fuel in that area since Duncan shut the Shamrock station(creating this need!).
We hardly need another convenience store in the area, with the newer Rite Aid directly across the street(also offering a pharmacy), Mid-Town Drive-Thru one block directly east(offering fuel and convenience purchases), the small Casablance Market one block directly north, the New York convenient store one block directly west on Central, Dillman Foods three blocks east on Central, and D's Market approx 5 blocks south on Supthin. None of these businesses are operating at near capacity, with the area already over-exposed in this retail category. Are more fuel centers/convenience stores our top economic priority?

There is little to no residential in the new proposed area, nor any plan to expand residential.
The Duncan property on Manchester Ave. and Charles St. is an eyesore and of little value. It has been ovffered to everyone repeatly, and Duncan could hardly give it away. It will be interesting to see the city's purchase price or estimated value for this parcel.

Has ED contacted the other mentioned similar businesses to conduct any type of impact study, or to offer similar monetary assistance for improvements, land swaps etc? I ?ed ED about similar help with th K Mart center situation, the old S.University Target/Savealot center(which has been vacant outside of  SAVEALOT for 25 years now) , and property acquisition nest to my Central Ave.location, and was pretty much informed that ED DOES NOT GET INVOLVED WITH RETAIL OPERATIONS.

Well--they are now sinking $500,000 to upwards of a $1,00,000+ of city money(from the Downtown Fund? How much $$ in in this fund?)into a sweetheart deal for Duncan at the expense of everyone else.

And all of this is to be presented once tonight,  comments accepted, digested,  and voted by EMERGENCY LEGISLATION? This is hardly an emergency and has been quietly in the planning for a long while(evidenced by the silent closing of Shamrock and the property negotiations with Duncan,Finkleman and the rec center/beauty shop corner). Why the big rush now?

Quite simply time for Council to do the right thing and slow down this whole process to get it right and to the benefit of the entire business community.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 10:30am

I drove downtown last night and had a look around the area to see just what the city was buying and just what Duncan was giving up. I still cant figure out what is going on here. If the city does not plan on building a new train station what are they building? If the only thing being built is the new Shamrock station then Middletown is in trouble when and if this train does stop here.

Lets be honest here OK, People riding this train through Middletown are indeed going to get off here, but only once. Someone coming from Columbus that has never been in Middletown may get off the train to see just what we have to offer, when they see it is nothing they will not get off a second time. IMO

I agree Spider, we do not need another convenience store downtown, in fact one or two that we have now could stand to close, Mid-Town is a dump.  They do not offer pay at the pump, forcing people to get out of their cars and go inside to pay for gas. Big inconvenience! Spider I live not far from this station and dont go there for many reasons, it is in bad shape, along with that whole area.

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 2:06pm
Spider
    I thought they had planned apartments where Denny’s & Divers are located….however who would want to live there with the noise from the trains and train horns and the noise and dirt from Cohen Bros??
    All the new residential property will be on
Manchester as soon as they demo all these eyesores. (We don’t want anything tacky showing as they ride by on the trains)
    Why would the City pay for an impact study when this entire five year plan that they are rushing to pass tonight was put together as a class project by MUM. (And they MUST know what’s best for
Middletown). But as always the City wouldn’t listen to any study anyway because they know what is best for Middletown ( Just look around at the wonderful job they have done in the past).
    Please tell me again why we have a City Council and a City Planning Department????

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 3:07pm
It's all a done deal to be handled as an emergency.
Look for a 7-0 vote.
The fix is in.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic