Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Tuesday, May 14, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - TRANSPARENCY & ACCOUNTABILITY IN LOCAL GOVERNMENT
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TRANSPARENCY & ACCOUNTABILITY IN LOCAL GOVERNMENT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRANSPARENCY & ACCOUNTABILITY IN LOCAL GOVERNMENT
    Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 1:38am
Let every voice be heard !!
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 7:42am
Probably more of the Usual members.  You know Employees who get paid with HUD Funds, Section 8 Landlords who get HUD Funds, Section 8 Recipients who get HUD Funds, CONSOC who gets HUD Funds.  I wouldn't look for any real citizens to be on this committee.  I wouldn't look for anyone that is overly concerned with the excessive HUD Fund mess or anyone not on board with having Middletown being the Section 8 Capital of Ohio or any concerned Business Owner in Town on this committee.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 8:27am
I'd like to see Mike and Pac on this committee.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 8:37am
I thought at one time the city manager wanted everyone to apply for a committee position.  Is this not still true?  Or will it be like the commitee she appointed for Sec 8 review.  She only included 3 members from the HUD consolidated committee to review everything - she already had the majority in her pocket.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 10:16am
GOD grant all of the citizens of Middletown a full opportunity to be heard by those in power !!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 10:31am
Hey Bobbie--I have served on many boards and committees.
My term expired on a city board as of 12/31/09.
Despite the urging and support of tose directly involved within the city building, Council opted not to return me to the position.

On my re-application, I volunteered to serve on ANY other board, and would serve wherever needed.
I was passed over for any/all positions.

Hey--it was absolutely the decision and prerogative of Council to make the appointments, and I accept their decision.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 10:40am
Democracy allows all citizens the right to speak out and to be heard !!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 11:11am
I was (maybe I still am?) on the Financial oversight committee.
They didn't/don't even bother to tell me when and where the meetings were held!!!  Perhaps they didn't like it when I pointed out that this "committee"  actually included a "quorum of city council members having a pre-arranged discussion of city business"???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 11:26am
Hey Mike- I got along just fine with Becker, Marconi, Scott-Jones, Gilleland, Ginger Smith and the rest of the city supervisors on the Street Repair Committee, especially when I asked about staffing, top-heavy management in the Public Works Department and other "off-limits" questions. I got the "stare of death" from all of them and an eerie silence dominated the room. Quite frankly, I enjoyed trying to "shake the peaches from their tree" and liked the opportunity to aggitate them any time I could.     Some of you folks get a kick out of doing that stuff too, don't you?
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 12:30pm

I have been on several committees on the past.  Any time you would ask a question that would normally require a yes or no answer - you received a 5 minute response without the answer.  I think they did this so you would forget what you asked.  I don't have a problem with applying for a committee - however there should be a limit to how many you can be on, as well as a limit on how many city employees are on as well.  This way the city manager would run out of friends to sit on the committees. 

Vet I would have loved to seen you in those meetings.  I really do enjoy seeing them squirm a little. 

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2010 at 12:33pm
Of course Nelson, would you be referring to the, lets forget our image and anything that might attract some businesses and middle class residents to Middletown and lets just placate the Section 8 crowd etc..........Ford.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2010 at 12:27am
May open, honest government help restore Middletown to a place of prosperity !!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic