Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, May 17, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - DISCUSSION of HOUSING REVITALIZATION STRATEGY??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DISCUSSION of HOUSING REVITALIZATION STRATEGY??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mihousenut View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mihousenut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DISCUSSION of HOUSING REVITALIZATION STRATEGY??
    Posted: Jan 22 2010 at 3:10pm
I can tell you that as an outsider, I looked to buy the Sorg Mansion, and invest a million dollars over the years, to restore, rehab and make it another sign of revitalization of the South Main historic district.  My replies from various entities, not just the city, but other groups as well, in terms of possible grants or the like, ranged from little to nothing in terms of help.

I am now looking elsewhere, sadly, as I would have loved to have the Sorg, but I like 99.5% of the world do not have millions laying around, and if I did why would I invest in Middletown, when I could go elsewhere?  No incentives at all are there. 

Expect the Sorg Mansion to stay a section 8, or maybe even assisted living home, nothing more.

Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2010 at 10:31am
QUESTION - How successful would you rate Miss Judy's strategy for housing revitalization in Middletown ?

1)  Question - Have any "POSITIVE" efforts been made by the Community Revitalization Department to market Middletown in the region as a community with numerous, affordable home ownership opportunities?
2)  Question - Why doesn't the Community Revitalization Department work closely with local housing industry professionals and neighborhood residents as was the case in 2007 and 2008?
3)  Question - Why did the Community Revitalization Department diminish emphasis on the Down Payment/Closing Cost Assistance Program?  In 2008 nearly 60 first-time home buyers were assisted.  Why did this number drop by over 50% in 2009 and has reduced financial incentives discouraged new home buyers?
4)  With the millions of HUD funds (including large "STIMULUS" grants) available to the Community Revitalization Department, how have the City's policies positively impacted the following:

a)  Reduction of vacant, foreclosed single-family homes on the market;
b)  Stabilization of declining property values;
c)  Stabilization of neighborhoods showing initial signs of decline;
d)  True rehabilitation of owner- and renter-occupied homes (not cosmetic house painting only)?
e)  Strategic targeting of HUD funds to obtain the maximum positive impact?
f)  Submission of grant applications for supplementary funding via the Federal Home Loan Bank of Cincinnati, Ohio Housing Finance Agency, etc.? 

The (hoped for) answers from City Hall should be quite interesting!! 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic