FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No superintendent Yet!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No superintendent Yet!
    Posted: Jan 27 2010 at 11:05am
From the Middletown Journal

MIDDLETOWN — After two weeks of negotiation, there is still no contract agreement between the Middletown Board of Education and the man it selected to be the district’s next superintendent.

On Jan. 11, the board named Greg Rasmussen, an assistant superintendent of elementary education for Wichita Public Schools in Kansas, to fill the vacancy left last summer by former superintendent Steve Price’s departure.

Neither the district office nor the board of education would give details Tuesday, Jan. 26, regarding progress in the contract talks. However, board President Marcia Andrew said discussions were moving forward as expected.

“The Board of Education has made an offer of employment to Greg Rasmussen and we are negotiating the terms,” Andrew said. “Negotiation is a back-and-forth process that takes some time. Negotiations are continuing, and we hope to have a contract that the board can vote on soon.”

The board has called an executive session meeting for Monday, Feb. 1 “to discuss the hiring and evaluation of district employees, with possible action to follow.” However, district officials gave no indication about whether or not the session was tied to Rasmussen.

Rasmussen, 50, was the last candidate standing after two of the three superintendent finalists dropped out of contention at the last moment.

Andrew said Rasmussen was the man for the job because of his emphasis on improving communication between the schools, teachers and community.

“The vast majority (of public feedback) felt he could rebuild relationships that had been broken within the district and between the district and the community,” she said.

Rasmussen, who makes a base salary of $121,742.00, according to Wichita Public Schools records, oversees 58 elementary schools, including 25,000 students and 2,500 staff.

He could not be reached for comment Tuesday about the contract negotiations.

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2010 at 11:48am
This is starting to smell.  I wonder if he is reconsidering what he might be getting into and has started demanding more $$.

Poor school board, I think they mean well but they just trip all over themselves.  If we can't afford someone well above $125-135k per year isn't there an assis. super from a similar demographic (Hamilton, Springfield) that might be a good fit?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2010 at 12:54pm
Bill would you move into this mess if you were making $121K for say $135K I wouldn't.  And if I was from a surrounding city why would I come here unless the pay jump was considerable and then I wouldn't live in Middletown.  The challenges in Middletown are reaching the point of being insurmountable between dealing with Council and the City admin.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2010 at 2:00pm

at this point I'd be happy with bringing in a cop to be a Super!

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2010 at 5:29pm

My guess is.....since negotiations have been ongoing for two weeks now he (Rasmussen) is working on a deal that will basically be relying on whether this next levy is passed or not. It's really funny how things work out, should the levy pass the school board provides everything in contract A....should the levy fail he gets contract B. And contract B will be contingent upon Rasmussen acceptance of it.

How convenient that a levy comes along at the same time a new superintendent is hired. Just my guess.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2010 at 6:08pm
The guy is giving up significant benefits to leave the Kansas system. The school board just wants a body, this has nothing to do with abilities, good fit, any of that. Last man standing. How can he feel good? Two drop out before him, one undoubtedly front runner (Butler Tech). So, he's going to leave Kansas and have to give up some his retirement (Ohio changing its policy as well from 60 yrs of age with 10 years to 62). he'd be nuts to take this position, stay in Kansas and await an opportunity. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic