FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Legislation Item 5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 6:07am
Ahhh Mike
You always make my day a little brighter...
Remember last year when Mr. Adkins came before council and declared all of Middletown a SLUM with the 54% rule so CDBG money could be used in any area of the City….this was a blank check.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

If it involves the awarding of contracts or the purchase of real estate, it sure does.
swo:
Not exactly true!!!
I'm a bit under the weather, so I'm not going to look up the exact statute, but I assure you that the City Manager has the authority to authorize many types of expenditures under a certain amount.  (I can't recall if it is either $15K or $10K.) 

It is rather simple to get around such limits, if one really wants to do so. For example:
  • $9.9K worth of paint and tile from vendor A.
  • $9.9K worth of lumber or countertops form vendor B.
  • $9.9K worth of lighting fixtures form vendor C.
  • $9.9K worth of conduit and wire on a separate order from Vendor C.
  • $9.9K worth of labor for painting from contrator Z.
  • $9.9K worth of labor for tile instalation from contrator Y.
  • $9.9K worth of labor for additional tile work from contrator Y.
  • $9.9K worth of labor for carpentry from contrator X.
  • $9.9K worth of labor for electrical work from contrator W.
It's not too difficult to end up with 20 or 30 times your DoA ("Delegation of Authority"--the term used in the private sector for the amount an individual is allowed to execute in one contract or purchase order on behalf of the company, usually substantially higher than in the public sector.)

Of course, I am NOT suggesting our very OPEN and HONEST city officials would ever utilize such measures here in Middletown.  Then again, I don't recall there every having been a public vote by council on the improvements (either labor or material) to the parking lot across from the Bi-Centennial Commons.

Also, as others have pointed out, many items authorized by council are very general!!!  The actual expenditures are then controlled completely by members of staff.  For example, consider CDBG funds.  Council might authorize $500,000 in CDBG money for "beautification" in a low-income area along S. Main.  Members of staff could then OK applications for these funds from anyone in that area.  They might even OK applications for $60K to $80K from owners of very large homes in the S. Main Historic District that just happen to fall within the same boundaries and are owned by, say, City Department Directors or bank vice-presidents.  Of course I am not suggesting that this happened.  I'm just saying that it could happen and it illustrates the way money could be spent without a specific, public vote by council.  Then again, does anyone remember any votes of the SPECIFIC individual applications for CBDG money?

Perhaps Russ Corolus could provide information on some of this.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Sports Mom View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sports Mom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 3:00pm
SW, If HUD funds are being used (ie facade grant, etc.) they would still receive bids and approve contracts but this would not have to be approved by Council.  Council approved the activities in the plan submitted to HUD so the Community Revitilation dept. gets bids and awards contracts without council
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2010 at 10:23am
Is this the same city that just 3-4 weeks ago used the "Bankruptcy" word, if the Public Safety levy isn't passed in 2012.  We need an Art center like a hole in the head at this time.  Most likely we will get the this is all grant/stimulus funds etc., as usual.

If this is true the cities priorities are definitely misplaced. 
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3>swohio75
It is my understanding that the spending of the Downtown Fund does not need the approval of City Council. 

If it involves the awarding of contracts or the purchase of real estate, it sure does.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 11:50am
swohio75
It is my understanding that the spending of the Downtown Fund does not need the approval of City Council. This is also the case with the $5,000 grants/gifts for the front facades of the building in the downtown and the business loans...none of these tranactions went before City Council. I believe these were approved by Mr. Kohlers office before so maybe now it's Mr. Adkins office. 
Either way I reeeeally don't understand how Middletown will support a large art center with a "Family Dollar" population?
No business man in his right mind would do this deal soooo the City must be footing the bill.  

Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 11:26am

You do not have to have a sell price listed in the county site. Do not take for granted that they did not pay.  If you noticed - foreclosed homes do not list a sell price.  But if the city owns it - they have some dealing in the renovation.  They are very good at moving money around.

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 10:56am
I'm not familiar with this Pendleton Arts Center.  Can someone elaborate?  Why is this needed when we have MAC?
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 10:38am
swohio--it is my un-official understanding that the city is paying for this re-furbishing possibly out of an old mall or roof removal fund. This may or may not be true. Still--more public funds to benefit a ptivate business organization? So much for the city being broke. lol
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 9:49am

VM and MP –

Yes, the building is now in city possession per BC Auditor’s office with an effective date of April 13, 2010.  There is no purchase price so one can assume they didn’t pay for it.

Now I don’t recall any legislation at past City Council meetings authorizing the expenditure(s) of remodeling this property.  Do you?   I am sure MP reads each meeting’s packet very thoroughly.  Such expense would require a piece of legislation authorizing work, no?  Tax credits?  Façade improvement grants?  Same thing. No legislation at this point.  So we can assume no local (i.e. Middletown) tax dollars have been used at this point. 

It’s my understanding that this is the desired site for the much-talked about Pendleton Arts Center.  I do not know who is paying for the remodel and work.  

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 9:43am
Vet - Excellent points Vet ! Maybe the artsy thing is nothing more than a facade to make everything look good ? Window dressing ?

I take offense Vet to your statement about "upscale wine & cheese people", Grandpa made the best wine I ever drank from a mason jar and I don't consider myself "upscale". LOL
(We never ate cheese with our wine, just a bologna sandwich LOL
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 8:13am

swohio75
Hmmm...If the City owns the building why would someone else be paying for the restoration? Since you seem to be in the know please tell us who is footing the bill for the restoration?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 6:28am
You know, IMO there is a bit of irony in all of this. On one hand, we have the city leaders bringing in as much Section 8/low income as they possibly can to operate the city in lieu of creating revenue from jobs/company taxes. And, on the other hand, we have the same city leaders promoting cultural events such as an "Arts District/Center" in the downtown area with the intention of attracting "upscale-wine and cheese people"-aka people who appreciate "the finer things in life". Seems to me, given a stereotypical scenario, that the two philosophies clash a bit, don't they? Aren't they more or less polar opposite themes for the city? Don't know too many government assisted programs that have "culturally elite" people participating, do you???? I'm confused.....do they want the city to be like the "hills of eastern Kentucky and Appalachia or do they want the city to move in a more "upscale" direction? Quite a difference here.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2010 at 12:41am
swohio:
The city is ALWAYS doing stuff like this!!!
They always cry about going broke.  They never have money for infrastructure or public safety.

But they ALWAYS seem to find money to do this kind of stuff for their friends (and a little always seems to get "lost" along the way, doesn't it Russ???)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" ="Msonormal"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'">Vet

It seems the City is restoring the old John Ross building for a new Art Center </SPAN>

How do you know it's the city doing the work? I mean they gained control of the Property, but that doesn't mean they are doing or paying for the work that's being done.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 6:24pm

Vet

It seems the City is restoring the old John Ross building for a new Art Center.
Question: Are they using the 2 million left in the downtown funds for this project?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 7:37am
No Vivian, haven't been downtown in at least 2 months. Pretty much locked into a routine of going to work and taking care of the wife every day. Boring, but necessary routine. What's going in John Ross?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2010 at 3:55am

Vet
Have you noticed the old John Ross Store restoration downtown?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 12:42pm
But.....but.....Hermes... I like to stir up trouble and start rumors. What will we do on this site, if they take that away from us? Oh, and as to their "re-education camp" and being sent there.....got to get past the guns first if they want the old Vetter. I was wrong when I called them liars. I apologize. Please allow me to rephrase my original statement. They are liars and 's !
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 10:24am
Vet - I'm ashamed of you !! Calling city hall liars ! Now you know none of this is going on. It's hear-say and no one on council or in the hall knows anything about this deal.

It's those people on that MUSA board that stirs up trouble and starts rumors !! As soon as that "re-education camp" is constructed they'll all be sent there !! We must put a stop to dissent & the falsifiers of our great community and bring everyone in line with our idealogy of secret open government and to follow our inept inefficient inert inexorable leaders who will lead us through the next great decade !! Clap
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 8:42am
None of this "swapping of properties" and real estate transactions is true. We're simply "misguided and mis-interpreting" their intentions. Remember, our city leaders said years ago that they are not in the real estate/property ownership business. Billy Becker, on several occasions, has said it is a bad idea. Yeah, right! Oh, what liars they are.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 8:36am
soleadd13- what the he-- does your post have to do with the subject matter? Get off and stop gumming up the works bud.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 12:50am
I understand there are different parts of the budget...but the City has money to purchase these 2 buildings when we can't afford enough firefighters and police officers?  For real?  This is where our priorities lie?  Shuffle money from our street funds to buying businesses to tear down? 

From what I believe Diver bought the building Mike.  Is or has his supply store going out of business?  I think in one of the previous plans you discussed on here it shows his building (Diver's) as greenspace. Wonder if there are more dealings going on in this case...
Guests View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2010 at 11:40pm
If you have success against top amateurs, then you should explore your professional options. At this point, you will need sponsorship support, because breaking into professional golf is very expensive(ishiner). The first professional tier features various mini-tours, with discount golf clubs events around the country at which you put up an entry fee and play for the pot.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2010 at 11:24am
Who brokered this deal ? Was a real estate agent/office involved ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic