FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Tax Increase

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2010 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

If it is to test whether and how well the student has mastered the material, it should be graded. Given the lack of parental support in many homes, it can be unfair to grade students on some types of homework. In effect, you are grading the parents and not the students.  My son in 7th grade received grades for whether or not he brought pencils and notebooks to class. Some of his classmates came from a home where there was more crack than food, let alone school supplies,

Marcia Andrew

Mrs. Andrew,

Explain to me concerning your above statements. Why must everyone conform to the lowest standard, when Some fail or can't tow the line to do what is expected of them for whatever reason?  Why must the rest of us lower our standards and expectations to conform with those who can not perform or won't?  I do not understand this logic.

There is more to Homework that just testing knowledge on a given subject.  Doing homework improves ones understanding of each subject, it helps to develop good study habits for later on in your educational endeavors, it teaches discipline and responsibility, etc.

My son who is in the 8th grade is a good example of this,  he comes home each night with homework in various subjects.  No one is home when he gets home, yet he knows that doing his homework is his first priority unless there is a school function and he does it,  EVERY DAY.  Then I look at it when I get home.

The answer is not to lower everyone standards, but to raise the expectations and standards of those who continually fall short.
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2010 at 1:46pm
Mr. Presta, there has never been a "No Homework Allowed" policy at MCSD.

In 2007, the policy committee proposed a change to the homework policy that would have said that certain kinds of homework (for example, assignments for practice of skills taught in class, or for preparation for the next class) should not be graded.  Other types of homework (for example, papers and longer term projects) could still be graded.  NOTHING in the proposed policy change would have prohibited teachers from assigning homework, or giving quizzes in class to see if the students did preparation work that had been assigned--for example, had they read the chapter of the book that was assigned?).  The distinction was based on sound educational theory and generally required teachers to think about the purpose of the assignment--why were they assigning it? If it is to test whether and how well the student has mastered the material, it should be graded. Given the lack of parental support in many homes, it can be unfair to grade students on some types of homework. In effect, you are grading the parents and not the students.  My son in 7th grade received grades for whether or not he brought pencils and notebooks to class. Some of his classmates came from a home where there was more crack than food, let alone school supplies,

Many teachers and community members, without bothering to read or understand the proposed policy change, immediately opposed it, saying that the district was wrong to eliminate homework -- never mind that the policy did not eliminate homework.  More thoughtful critics said that not grading homework would be the same as not assigning it, because no one would do it if not assigned. This criticism may have been valid for some types of homework but not others.  There is no way to assign a grade to whether a student read the assigned chapter, unless you give a quiz to test knowledge retained -- and the quiz could still be given and graded.

Based on the response, the proposed change was dropped in 2007 and the homework policy remained in place without change.  Now, as then, it continues to be within the discretion of individual teachers whether to assign homework, what type of homework, and whether to grade it.  Most assign some, and many assign quite a bit.

Marcia Andrew

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2010 at 12:59pm

Has the "NO HOMEWORK ALLOWED" policy changed since Price left???

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2010 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Pat Pat wrote:

Vet and Pac...First of all, the discipline policy came from Price and has changed significantly since he has been gone and in all the schools the discipline has changed for the positiive.

Can you post a link to this new Discipline policy I would be interested in reading it?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2010 at 7:45am
Spider- "how many times must I say the same thing". At least as many times as Newell, some teachers, the other admin, the supers, some pro-levy-prominent citizens and the school board try to blow crap up the public's rear end. Conversely, how many times are we going to hear the feel good story about how "we need your money to help educate the kids", and then see the disappointing results afterwards?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2010 at 7:22am
OK Pat- I have Journal articles from the 80's that give the surrounding school district comparison on the proficiency scores. Middletown is on the bottom. On the last published report on the proficiency scores, Middletown is on the bottom .....still/again. That's 25+ years to show some improvement, not 30 years- still too long. How many years does one try the same thing and how many lumps on the head does one have to incur before one finds out that it ain't workin' and it hurts when the lumps form? Insanity- trying the same failed approach over and over again and expecting a different result to occur.

You state-"Go read the explanation of each category on the ODE website"-"not individual school's results and what a district has to do to meet the criteria"- Mercy! That's just it, Pat....I have to look at the individual school results- THAT"S WHAT I CARE ABOUT. Sometimes, when you lump all the schools together when compiling data, the poorer ones grade out better than they really are as they are buffered by the better performing ones. I care about individual performance, not school grouping performance. When you group, you dilute. No more excuses about "not using individual school results or what a district has to do to meet criteria"- just GET IT DONE! The bosses (taxpayers in this case) at work don't want to hear excuses....they want you (the education people in this case) to do what is required to get the job done.....or......they'll find someone(new teachers/admin in this case) who will give them (the taxpayers again) what they ask for.

Discipline???? Pat, there hasn't been real discipline in the schools for years, since the parents intimidated the schools with their lawsuits for touching their "little angels". They stopped corporal punishment(which works in most areas) years ago. That's when the discipline left the schools. Time outs, taking away priviledges, suspensions are placebos that are not effective. Pain is. Use to be two sources for pain- the Dean of Boys/Girls and when you got home. Now, there is neither. Need that to come back, IMO.

Pat, the levy COULD be for more money if the tax base made up of businesses and citizens continues to leave town. That means that the ones staying will have to make up the difference to guarantee the schools their 18 million on this levy. Yes, it could mean more money for us property owners. This is a permanent levy, never to be voted on again. It is a "forever" tax to us property owners and we want to see something new in direction, performance and accountability to the people before we will approve it. Simple as that. No more "business as usual". That ain't cuttin' it anymore.

What proof do we have that the schools have been operating the same way for 30 years? Let's see.....if you do the same failed things for 30 years and you produce the same failed results for 30 years, it would indicate to me that there has not been any change at all OR that the changes that have been made in the 30 years have been surface fluff and not had one positive result or we would have been able to measure upward progress that would have made us take notice that we were achieving something. We also would have made strides in satisfying more than 5 of 30 indicators in the last 20+ years. We have been stuck on that number for years.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2010 at 6:34am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Hopefully not MORE money Mike--but you don't read me saying that it won't happen.
Spider,
Perhaps I wasn't clear.  In the past, we have ALWAYS been told that, without more money, we could NOT expect improvement.  THAT was THEIR logic.  THAT was what THEY expected us to believe.

Therefore, from that it is only logical to infer that with only the SAME amount of money, we CANNOT expect improvement and can ONLY expect to maintain the status quo, AT BEST!!!

Or, perhaps they will admit that they always LIED to us in the past about WHY they wanted more money and that it really wasn't to IMPROVE education???  NAH!!  That won't happen.

And since we are on the bottom rung, we cannot fall very far.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2010 at 6:16am

I am mostly concerned about the lack of organized support from the teachers,parents and students.
Seems that they should be leading this parade instead of a few board members and private citizens.
If our teachers won't support this, then MAYBE we have the wtrong group of teachers.
If our teachers won't support this, then it is more likely that we have the wrong group of administrators and BoE members!!!

They aren't leaders if no one is following!!!
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2010 at 11:52pm

I won't vote yes on this as a permanent levy.

Simple solution:
Put it on as a 3 year renewal and it'll get my vote.
This gives us some time to see if changes happen.
While it's doubtful school funding will change, should it happen we're still saddled with a permanent levy.
Pat View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2010 at 10:44pm
Vet and Pac...First of all, the discipline policy came from Price and has changed significantly since he has been gone and in all the schools the discipline has changed for the positiive.

Secondly...you show your ignorance because you have no idea what you are taking about when you site  OAA scores.  Go read the explanation of each category on the ODE website. (Not individual school's results, but what a district has to do to met the criteria.)

Next...you state, "What will be different if we give them more money to operate the schools the same way they have been operating for 30 years?"  Well, the levy in question is not for "more" money!  And the schools have not been operating the same way for 30 years!  Wlhat proof do you have they have been operating the same way for 30 years?  Do you even know when the OAA tests were first put into effect?
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2010 at 10:40pm
My mistake,it was VietVet who made the comment and not Pacman.
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2010 at 10:38pm

had a very long answer typed, vet
it didn't stick and I was too lazy to copy first
my bad

while you make a few good points(nothing new), I disagree with the conclusion of your thinking.
How many times must you say the same thing?
I would say  as many times as we have to hear the same old song and dance from the school system.
With Pacman's suggestion,we at least we can journey down a new path with assured changes instead of this endless dirt road that doesn't offer any changes.
This new Supt. doesn't offer any new game plan because he doesn't have one,he is just hopping on board with the people who gave him a job
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2010 at 6:40pm
had a very long answer typed, vet
it didn't stick and I was too lazy to copy first
my bad

while you make a few good points(nothing new), I disagree with the conclusion of your thinking.
How many times must you say the same thing?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2010 at 3:39pm
While you are at it Mr. Newell take a look at the failure Middletown has become as far as Discipline also.Thumbs%20Down
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2010 at 3:36pm
Looks like Dennis Newell is taking some shots at the anti-levy people in town. He says we are viewing the kids in the district as failures. Nope, Denny, we never said they were failures, only the system that is attempting to provide them with a decent education. The system is the problem. If there is failure, it is the operation of the current Midd. school system that is the culprit. Nice try, but the age old guilt trip of "blaming the levy opponents" ain't gonna work. Now, you want to use the kids to envoke a response. A new low, Denny babes! Get on the computer- read the results on the proficiencies since it was developed and administered and tell us with a straight face you are still proud of what you have produced. Review the history of the 30 indicators and tell us all how the neighboring schools have achieved at least 50% when Middletown has been stuck at 5 of 30 for years. Then, tell us why that happened and what the proposed plans are to increase the success rate. We won't believe you because you and others have been promising improvement for years with no positive results. Come on Denny-you can do better than this article as to telling the truth. Admit it- it was all written to protect your little educational empire you have built over the years- right? Mercy!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2010 at 7:03am
Spider- the levy approval and a yes vote is the "most logical choice"? It "pretty much has to be"? After over 30 years of watching the Middletown schools wander aimlessly, adrift at sea, with no upward positive indications that it will ever change, what would re-gifting them the money, do for us? We all know that the pro-levy people are predicting that there will be rampant disease and pestulence, the roof will collapse and Rome will burn if the levy isn't passed, but how about you pro-levy people telling us what we can expect from this school system if it does pass. What gives us any indication that things will be different this time around if we continue to give them more money to operate the same way they have been operating for 30 years?????Have they even attempted to make any radical changes after all these years? NO. Have they listened to the message about what the people expect from the schools that they are paying for? NO. Have they continued on the high salary/teacher's union dominated negotiations path all these years? YES. Do they continue to carry positions within the school system that are not needed like the "school spokesperson"- Alberico and multiple assistants? YES. Spider- isn't it time for the crap to hit the fan? Isn't it time to force a change, because you know as well as I, the education people haven't/won't change their little safe haven of operation on their own. Isn't it time to just let the state have it, strip it down to the bare essentials, gut the people who won't change and start over in the school's reconstruction? Whether the levy passes and the schools continue the decline because they refuse to change or the schools untimately go to the state to run, it is going to be painful to watch. With a state takeover, at least we will see a different group that will come in to run it. Perhaps that can be the change we want.???? We sure won't see it with the status quo.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2010 at 7:35am
Hopefully not MORE money Mike--but you don't read me saying that it won't happen.
You have seen what happens when these BIG financial hits happen.
Ity is ugly and stressful for everyone.
I heard that we were rated 595 out of 615

Hopefully the new Super will make a difference much more posirive than the last super,

I am not in love with any of this, however I don't honestly see a better realistic option.

I am mostly concerned about the lack of organized support from the teachers,parents and students.
Seems that they should be leading this parade instead of a few board members and private citizens.
If our teachers won't support this, then MAYBE we have the wtrong group of teachers.

Still--if we don't pass this, what better options and direction do you see or can construct?

I am voting YES on this one issue because I honestly believe that it is the logically correct choice.
It pretty much has to be.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2010 at 12:32am

smartman is correct.
we do not need to go backwards, especially to this degree.

factor in the potential increase in potential polarization, cuts, threats and negative pub(though failed levys are hardly news), and we will go backwards.

YES is probably the only positive constructive answer, then hope for the education machine to move in the right direction with the new leadership. How else can you view things if you want any progress.
Spiderman,
Help me understand your views here, please.
Given all of the logic of the past bright past, that MORE money is needed to improve, to continue funding at the present level can only mean to continue the present results, at best!!! 

The MCSD, as of the last complete school year, ranked 592nd out of 610 districts in Ohio.  It simply is not possible to go much farther backwards.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2010 at 1:24am

As much as I think the parents should be held accoutable, lets not give students a free walk either.  Even though their parents are on Section 8.  There are plenty of opportunities to be had.  My mother was on welfare growing up and I made a decision I wasn't living like that.  The couselors at the high school never told me or gave me any information about college, how any of it worked, nothing about student loans or grants.  I had to find out for myself.  Some of the kids on Section 8 might try a little harder if they knew there were some opportunities available to them.

TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 1:19pm
I'm having a hard time with this one.....  I'm thinking Yes.... Confused
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2010 at 9:16am
Don't a convincing argument. The city could say th school system failed the city, and if results were EXCELLENT, more residents would mov in, and the city could do more. I said they are both intertwined, and without addressing BOTH, you are guaranteeing continued failure. Section 6 feeds the problem in the school as I hear often. sj states he believes those kids will improve. Smartman says the school district can be a beacon of hope. Well, that beacon of hope was tried for 7 years or greater, and isn't shining bright---that is an undeniable fact. It is impossible to address the school problems without addressing low income, section 8, and the other enormity problems Middletown has. Passing this levy does nothing to address that problem, and if it were a beacon, we'd have more residents wanting to move in, than move out. As property values will decline, we are all left with paying higher taxes in spite of the "it won't raise your taxes", associated with decline in valuation. Its that simple. "Maybe" new blood will fix the problem Smartman? As section 8, using your analysis, the scores will be in a circuitous CI mode. Sometimes its better to trust the "devil" you know than the devil you don't. With the waste apparent in the schools and everyone agreeing low score from those less fortunate are impacting performance, we are back to where we started: throwing good money will not alter a very bad situation.    
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2010 at 3:54pm
Well said Spider. The city is failing us. Just look around. The schools can be the bright spot for this community. That's why we need this levy to pass. We have a new leader even if it is by default. We need to give him a chance. He is from a situation very close to ours, maybe his new blood will make a difference. Lets dont let him start with half a deck. As for performance it is very hard for teachers to teach to a test, then have have the state change it every year. Hopefully a new leader will have new ideas to get parents involved with their childrens education.  That is the first step in improving performance.

We all agree with each other and disagree on other points. There are many positives in MCSD. Having a daughter at the high school and being involved in her activities, I see more good than bad. Unfortunately the students that dont care, have no support system at home are the ones that are bringing down the scores. I agree with Spider, if I'm going to take a chance, let it be with the schools.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2010 at 1:50pm
honestly--it is acombination of everything mentioned above, then wrapped up petfectly with pacman's close.

acclaro--my thinking/direction doesn't really fit where you are trying to pigeonhole me into a corner.
I am not tying section 8 to the consequences of levy passage or performance(while I have consistently addressed the performance issues).

Section 8--Council
School levy--BOE

When it comes down, I prefer to take a chance with possible improvement coming through the schools before I trust Council/Admin to willing move in another direction. I no longer like dealing with the city--talking with the city--watching the city in action--and want no real activity with them. I do want to put some hope and positive direction in the lives of the students(I know--sounds hokey and cliche'd).

We all aren't that far apart as to our thinking. 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2010 at 1:36pm

Hey Vet if the schools were run like a business and the government butted out, it would be far more successful than it is currently.   Between the Feds and the State the system is screwed up, then you have the unions to deal with, recipe for disaster right there, which is exactly what we have currently.  Don't even get me started on some of the parents and lack of discipline in the schools.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2010 at 1:24pm
Spider- let me approach this from another direction, if I may. Given that you are a businessman, and given the fact that you know what it takes to run a successful business, making a profit, and, given the fact that to run a successful business, you know that you need employees who perform in a working environment and you know it must operate while watching costs, inventory, employee performance, customer satisfaction, facility costs/maintenance, taxes, transportation costs, etc. I have a question for you.

Knowing what you know about the Middletown School System (in the business of education) as to facilities, manpower costs, academic performance, customer (citizen/taxpayer) satisfaction, and overall returns for the money spent, would you buy this system (if it were a business) as it is operated today? Or, would it be considered a risky investment for you as a business owner and you would want to see some changes made to reassure you that you were getting something for your money?

For me, there are too many negatives to contemplate putting any of my cash toward purchasing or as a partial owner. In it's present condition, it is not a purchase or money investment option. I don't wish for my tax money to go toward what we have now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic