FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Banning Bottled Water Purchases

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banning Bottled Water Purchases
    Posted: Jul 02 2010 at 11:30am

Weekly Update to City Council
from the City Manager
June 27, 2

Weekly Update to City Council
from the City Manager
June 27, 2

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (6/23, McWilliams) reported, "according to preliminary results of a survey by the US Conference of Mayors, 72 cities have considered eliminating or reducing bottled water purchases within city facilities and 44 either have formal bans in place or are actively encouraging city officials and departments to use tap water. Dozens cited promoting public water as the reason."

The group passed a resolution two years ago that urges cities to "phase out government use of bottled water when feasible, and promote the importance of municipal water. As activists have argued that spending tax dollars on bottled water is wasteful and sends the wrong message about tap water." Already, agencies in Colorado, New York, Illinois, and Virginia "have been ordered to limit their purchases of bottled water." "Consumption of bottled water dropped by 2.5 percent last year, according to the International Bottled Water Association". (Note: we encourage use of tap water; Middletown city water is high quality.)

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2010 at 4:37pm
I've always wondered why, on the one hand we have city staff often speech-ifying at council meetings about how great our city water is, while on the other hand, there is plastic-bottled water in front of every station of the curvy counter at the same meetings.

I have nothing against the bottled water.  I use it myself (for convenience away from home).  I am just commenting on the irony.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic