FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is this the Future?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this the Future?
    Posted: Jul 19 2010 at 8:08am
  • U.S. NEWS
  • JULY 19, 2010

Cities Rent Police, Janitors to Save Cash

By TAMARA AUDI

Faced with a $118 million budget deficit, the city of San Jose, Calif., recently decided it could no longer afford its own janitors. So the city's budget called for dropping its custodial staff and hiring outside contractors to clean its city hall and airport, saving about $4 million.

To keep all its swimming pools open and staffed, the city is replacing some city workers with contractors.

"These are cases where the question is being asked, 'Is this a core service at the city level?' " said Michelle McGurk, senior policy adviser to the San Jose mayor.

After years of whittling staff and cutting back on services, towns and cities are now outsourcing some of the most basic functions of local government, from policing to trash collection. Services that cities can no longer afford to provide are being contracted to private vendors, counties or even neighboring towns.

David McNew for The Wall Street Journal

Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputies remove evidence and files from Maywood police headquarters. The sheriff's department has taken over policing for Maywood and many other cities across Los Angeles County.

The move saves cities budget-crushing costs of employee benefits like health insurance and retirement. Critics say contracting means giving up local control and personalized services.

Cities say they have little choice. Municipalities across the U.S. will face a projected shortfall of $56 to $86 billion between 2010 and 2012, according to a report from the National League of Cities.

"You can do across-the-board cuts for only so long," said Andrew Belknap, Western Regional Vice President for Management Partners, a government consulting group. "It's gone from the tactical cost cutting to get through a recession, to in some cases saying we have to exit that business or service altogether."

Maywood, a tiny city southeast of Los Angeles, is taking contracting to the extreme. The city of around 40,000 is letting go of its entire staff and contracting with outsiders to perform all city services. The city is disbanding its police force and handing public safety over to the Los Angeles County Sheriff. Its neighbor, the city of Bell, will take over running Maywood's City Hall.

Like many towns, Maywood is battling a budget deficit. But city officials said they were forced into the situation when the city's insurance carrier decided to cancel coverage because of the $21 million in legal expenses and judgments against the city stemming from the conduct of its police department. Without insurance, the city is barred from hiring employees who work directly for the city.

"We're on the cutting edge here. We're the tip of the spear," said Magdalena Prado, Maywood's community-relations officer, who works for the city as a contractor. Ms. Prado said she has gotten inquiries from cities across the country "wanting to know how this is going to play out. They're facing their own financial strains and looking to us as an example."

Maywood officials insist services will continue. The city has for years used contract workers to run services such as parks and recreation.

%5bCITYCUT%5d

But not every transition is smooth, and city employees losing their jobs are seldom eager to help their replacements take them over.

Cities can face expensive lawsuits or severance costs when they lay off employees, although these costs differ in every city, depending on the union contract, the number of people losing their jobs and whether the contractor is willing to hire the former employees.

Maywood city council member Felipe Aguirre said the city negotiated severance packages with civilian employees, but the former police officers have been more difficult. The police union attempted to stop the city from dismantling the department by filing a temporary restraining order. The order wasn't granted, and the police department was disbanded July 1.

Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department officials say they are getting more inquiries from cities and towns who want to pay them to take over local policing. The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department has policing contracts with 42 out of 88 cities in the county.

Lakewood, a small city near Long Beach, is known nationally for developing a model city structure, known as the Lakewood Plan, that contracts out some major services while maintaining local control over others. The city contracts 40% of its services to outside vendors, including public safety, which is run by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. Other areas it continues to handle itself, including parks and recreation, city-hall administrative services and the water department.

Outsourcing is on the rise around the country. Johns Creek, an Atlanta suburb that incorporated in 2006, contracted all of its city-hall and public-works services with CH2M Hill, a Denver company that provides everything from staff to furniture. The city maintains its own fire and police departments, and employs its own city manager and finance director.

"The county was hard-pressed to provide the services here that people wanted and expected," said Doug Nurse, the city's spokesman, and a CH2M Hill employee. "We had everything in place. We were good to go."

In California, the state's $19 billion budget deficit is putting additional pressure on local governments. The state has begun to reduce the amount of redevelopment funds cities have traditionally received; Pasadena, for instance, had to hand $10.8 million back to the state.

In Long Beach, city officials are considering a plan to help close an $18.5 million budget deficit by hiring a private contractor to manage city marinas.

"We're trying to focus on core services so that non-core services can be eliminated eventually," said David Wodynski, the assistant director of financial management for Long Beach.

A recent Nevada state law requires cities and counties to study consolidating services and provide detailed analysis to lawmakers by September.

Access thousands of business sources not available on the free web. Learn More

The Los Angeles suburbs of Burbank, Glendale and Pasadena are contemplating merging services such as tree-trimming, employee training, purchasing and police helicopters. All three face deficits, and reductions in state funds. The cities have already started a joint emergency-dispatch center that has grown to include other cities.

Glendale has faced an $8 million shortfall on a $170 million annual budget for the last three years, said city manager Jim Starbird, and has already cut police and fire personnel.

"We have to find ways to reduce the costs of services we provide," he said. "We can't just keep cutting services."

VietVet View Drop Down
    MUSA Council
    MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2010 at 10:20am
    Wonder what would happen if the city of Middletown decided to outsource these services and tried to consolidate with selected towns around the city? Think there would be any takers that wanted to "hook up" with Middletown, given the present climate of the town? Would there be any positives or advantage for them to do so? What if Middletown had to do something like this and there were no takers?
    wasteful View Drop Down
    MUSA Citizen
    MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2010 at 10:31am
    Would there me any bordering city takers I doubt it, but the Sheriff laid off how many road Deputies recently?
    Hermes View Drop Down
    Prominent MUSA Citizen
    Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2010 at 11:01am
    I just read that article somewhere on the net this morning.

Outsourcing in some ways is good. If you can get past the union's and hire at minimum wage the exact same job then it's progress. A sense of accomplishment has been made when you can save the tax payer $millions but, only if those $millions saved go to a worthy cause. You can't outsource and save then continue to tax at the same rate, no accomplishment there. I would be worried about outsourcing the police department though. Your normal cops are A**H***S anyway so I can't imagine how bad rental cops would be.

I for one am all for outsourcing only if the benefits are going to the cause.
    No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
    wasteful View Drop Down
    MUSA Citizen
    MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2010 at 11:18am
    Hermes you would have to contract with the Sheriffs Dept. most likely here for Police Services, not Security Guards.  What is the Police Budget, Jail Budget, etc.?
    Hermes View Drop Down
    Prominent MUSA Citizen
    Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2010 at 1:02pm
    Good question wasteful and I have no clue what Middeltown budget is or expenditures for police and jail.

Where is Mike, Mikey always knows these things  Big%20smile
    wasteful View Drop Down
    MUSA Citizen
    MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2010 at 1:50pm
    Just taking a quick look at the 2010 Budget in the Council Meeting Minutes:

Public Safety the Jail, 1/2 of the Dispatch Center and the Dog Catcher, budget is:

$10,363,859.00

There could be more. 

Public Safety Levy had $2,062,757.00 in it.

Hermes View Drop Down
    Prominent MUSA Citizen
    Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2010 at 7:53pm
    Originally posted by wasteful wasteful wrote:

Just taking a quick look at the 2010 Budget in the Council Meeting Minutes:

Public Safety the Jail, 1/2 of the Dispatch Center and the Dog Catcher, budget is:

$10,363,859.00

There could be more. 

Public Safety Levy had $2,062,757.00 in it.

We have a dog catcher ?!! Or are you talking about a county dog catcher ?
    wasteful View Drop Down
    MUSA Citizen
    MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2010 at 8:43pm
    No, the city has one, I think they call it a Animal Humane Officer or some such name, which comes under the Police Dept.
    Hermes View Drop Down
    Prominent MUSA Citizen
    Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2010 at 11:57am
    Has anyone seen a dog catcher in town ? Is this a full time position ?

Is this like the "beautification officer" ? The cop who is picked daily to enforce grass rules,abandoned car issues,dirty streets etc etc.

I will look into this wasteful....maybe I can put a stop to all these bull dogs running around in my neighborhood that certain people released since they can't afford insurance.
    wasteful View Drop Down
    MUSA Citizen
    MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2010 at 12:07pm
    Here you go Hermes:

"The Police Division operates 24 hours a day and provides uniformed patrol, conducts criminal investigations, dispatches for both Middletown Divisions of Police and Fire, provides Emergency 911 service for Middletown and surrounding communities, operates a full service jail, assigns school resource and animal control officers."

They only have one as far as I know.
    Bobbie View Drop Down
    MUSA Citizen
    MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2010 at 12:28pm
    Liz Lucas is the animal control officer for Middletown - but I thought that I had read that they were doing away with this position and letting the county handle this problem.
    angelababy View Drop Down
    MUSA Resident
    MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelababy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 9:31pm
    Thanks so much for the wonderful information you provided us.
    Paul Nagy View Drop Down
    MUSA Citizen
    MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2010 at 10:11pm
    Wasteful,
                You provide such a viable alternative for the city, You would think that under the current circumstance we face that council would step back and take a real studious look on what some outsourcing would do for us. If we did some outsourcing that would leave some time for the Administration to deal with other problems that have had to be ignored for such a long time.
                 This kind material is vital to making real decisions for the city. I hope everyone in the city, city hall and the Administration will read your posts.
                 Thank you.
                  Paul Nagy
    Bocephus View Drop Down
    MUSA Citizen
    MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2010 at 1:07pm
    They say we have a dog catcher but itseems she must have a lot of vacation days because both times I called for pitbulls running around my block I was told that she was off that day and I could leave a message which I never did get my phone call returned.Oh yea I do recall seeing her at the Council meeting testifying about how we should end the cities pitbull band.
     Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic