FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Privatizing Our Water And Sewer Systems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Privatizing Our Water And Sewer Systems
    Posted: Nov 06 2010 at 10:44am

Privatizing our Water and Sewer Systems

11/6/10

Last Tuesday nights Council Meeting and our new extreme rate increases of our water services requires our strongest consideration that it is time to privatize many of our city departments. In this presentation I ask your consideration only on our Water and Sewer Systems.

GOALS the city would be trying to reach:

1. Stabilize and reduce rates
  2. Control when rates would change
  3. Rapid Response to expansion needs
  4. Generate cash up front (The company purchases our water and sewer system)
  5. Sharing and simplifying the environmental risks
  6. The right to inspect assets and review operations
  7. Quick and less expensive conflict resolution
  8. Lower and more stable rates to induce businesses to locate in Middletown
  9. Resolution of State and Federal compliance orders by the provider of water and sewer management services
  10. Free the city administration from the above matters and give them the time to devote to other matters needing their attention
  11. The city can control the rate and circumstances under which it could increase the services
  12. The service provider could be changed if performance was not adequate
  13. Financial and environmental risks can be controlled by clear assignment of responsibilities
  14. Quick resolution of conflicts

All of these goals and more are being met in cities across the country that have privatized their water and sewer systems.

OBJECTIONS the city is most likely to confront:

1. Public employees may be displaced and may not be compensated adequately.

Answer: Generally the employees are kept and trained by the company. Because they are streamlining operations an employee or two may be displaced but the companies are professionals and general resolve those matters with adequate compensation or reassignment.

2. Can the city privatize and still retain control?

Answer: Municipalities retain control through the service agreement. The city can even include the right to buy the system back at the end of the term of the agreement.

3. What if the company doesn’t meet the terms of agreement?

Answer: The agreement would include insurance and performance bond clauses.

These are just some of the features and benefits of privatization of our water and treatment facilities. There are many more. I hope that all of you will participate in the discussion and exploration of this option for our city that is so in favor of the citizens. I beseech council to admit that this is the time to exercise this option and save us many dollars in this curent economy and bring more efficiency to city operations.

If this goes well than we should consider it for other departments. It has worked well in many other cities. Remember, the companies we privatize with, would handle all negotiations and agreements with employees, unions and government agencies and at less costs then the municipality is able to do so.

Paul Nagy

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2010 at 11:07am
Mr. Nagy how would Privatizing the Water & Sewer Dept. affect the Combined Sewer issue and the Hundreds of Millions of dollars the EPA wants for the new system?  Would not the Citizens still be on the hook for the Millions needed to fix these issues?
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2010 at 11:34am
Hello Pac,
         I hope you are feeling better these days.
         Many cities that have privatized have been able to have the professional water/sewer operators negotiate the EPA conditions and prices way down. That is the result of their great, efficient expertise in these operations and probably their relationship with the EPA . I'm certain it would cost far less than what we are being told. Also, they have a vested interest to make certain it is cheaper. That , to me, is one of the great reasons I am interested in privatization. At a later date I intend to provide more detailed info and names of cities that have been more than satisfied by privatizing and the positive results of their dealing with both the State and Federal EPA. I'm also convinced that the combined sewer issue would be routine and they would be more efficient in streamlining the process if it is indeed necessary.  It is exactly those kind of issues that make privatization more desireable than the city operating the systems.
         Thanks for the inquiry.
          Paul Nagy
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2010 at 1:47pm
It is amazing the lengths that public employees, be it teachers unions or city admin, go to in order to avoid losing a few jobs.  Remember the teeth-grinding last year when the city had to let a few people go?  You'd think Judy herself shot their pet or something.

Who cares if a few people in the water/sewer dept get "downsized."  No one cries for us in the private sector when some big employer swats away dozens of jobs like flies at a picnic.

We are talking trying to save significant $$ for a town that has no $$ to waste.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2010 at 8:38am

"We are talking trying to save significant $$ for a town that has no $$ to waste."
                                                                                                                                        Bill

Bill,
                  You have hit the nail squarely on the head. Saving significant dollars for a town that has no dollars to waste is seriously demonstrated by the conversations at council last Tuesday night. "A 1.1 million dollar deficit talked down to $750,000, a potential 128 million dollars for Epa compliance over a number of years with threatened $1200 a year water and sewer bills, $250,000 to $400,000 for the Verdin deal, 10 to 15 million dollars for the Central State proposal, the police and fire chief saying they can't cut one penny, the enormous costs for public safety, etc.. I'm all for the Central State proposal and I'll tell you why another time. But pretty soon you get to thinking that someday we will run out of money and bonds and public safety and infrastructure repair, etc.. Folks, its time to get serious and do like Bill Becker says, "find another way". Bill Becker in my opinion knows more about the City of Middletown than anyone else I know. Whether he's talking about infrastructure, public safety or what ever, I want to always hear everything he's got to say. Not that I always agree with him.
                  Please everyone, think through the importance of privatizing and voice your opinion here and at City Council. Its past time.
                  Thank you.
                   Paul Nagy

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2010 at 8:51am
Paul I agree with most of what you say with the exception of one thing. The time to tackle these issues was 5 years ago before we got into the dire straights we are in now.  Public Safety should have been dealt with years ago, rather than let the 3+ % raises continually pile up, especially now when most people are lucky to even get 1%.  Same with HealthCare and other issues.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2010 at 9:12am
Pac,
     You've got me there. You are absolutely right. The thing about it is we talked about it just as strong back then but it fell on deaf ears.
           pn

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2010 at 9:17am
I have lived here for 7 years Paul and all the different City Councils and Admins have done in those 7 years is talk about it.  There has been little to no action other than taking the situation out on Non-Union employees by laying them off or denying them any raise or a minimal one, while the Public Safety unions have had free rein of the General Fund for those years.  Action needs to be taken and I am not talking about lip service, which is all we get out of most of the Council even today.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2010 at 9:22am
Pac,
      If they only give us lip service this time we will have a financial catastrophe. Since the majority of them don't live in the city they will walk away and leave us to live with and clean up the mess. Let's hope and pray that they will use some integrity and straigthen our mess up now.
      Thanks for your observations.
          pn
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2010 at 4:00am
One slight correction!!!  City employees have NOT been "denied raises"!!!

Would someone please list the NAMES of all city employees who are making exactly the SAME rate of pay now that they were back when they supposedly had their salaries "frozen" a few years back???

ANYONE???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
angelababy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelababy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2010 at 9:45pm
Public Safety should have been dealt with years ago, rather than let the 3+ % raises continually pile up, especially now when most people are lucky to even get 1%. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic