FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thieves steal bike from child with disability

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thieves steal bike from child with disability
    Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 4:19pm
This is sad.

Thieves steal bike from child with disability

By Jessica Heffner, Staff Writer 3:18 PM Wednesday, December 22, 2010

MIDDLETOWN — It may have just been a bike theft, but to the Brewer family the thieves who recently took the cycle from their garage may prove to be the Grinches who stole Christmas.

The bike was the only item 16-year-old Cody Brewer got for Christmas last year. The custom-made red tricycle with heavy black Mag wheels cost single mom, Karla Brewer, almost $600 but was worth every penny. Cody has cerebral palsy and cannot walk long distances. But on his bike he could go anywhere.

“It’s the only way he could get around,” she said. “Everybody knows him as the kid on the three wheel bike.”

Karla Brewer had the Mag wheels put on the bike because Cody leans heavily to one side due to his disability. She had the brakes specially fashioned so he only had to use his left hand to stop because he cannot use his right hand. The bike gave Cody the freedom to get around without a wheelchair.

Last Saturday, Karla Brewer woke up to find the lock busted off her garage and the doors hanging wide open. Gone was Cody’s special red bike, along with his brother’s maroon Schwinn chopper-style bicycle and a pack of cigarettes from her van.

Tracks in the snow led through the Brewer’s backyard onto the road to a church on Tytus Avenue. From there the trail ran cold. The family has filed a police report and talked to neighbors about the theft, but so far there have been no leads.

Karla Brewer hasn’t been able to tell Cody about the theft. Prone to seizures, she is afraid of what the news may do to his health — and his heart.

“I was very upset because the only thing he can do is ride that bike,” she said while fighting back tears. “That is the one special thing he had for Christmas. He loves that bike.”

Even though the bike is expensive, Cody’s grandmother, Korky Lawson, said what it meant to the child is what makes it so valuable.

“I wouldn’t even call the thieves Americans. That is just so unAmerican,” Lawson said. “How can you do that to a crippled kid?”

“He is so sweet and talks to everyone. He doesn’t know what a stranger is,” she added.

Karla Brewer said she is hoping the bike is returned intact “and not in pieces.”

Anyone with information is asked to call Middletown police at (513) 425-7700.

Contact this reporter at (513) 705-2843 or jheffner@coxohio.com.

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 4:52pm
WTF!!!! OK MUSA we gotta fix this!! Who will help me ??
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 5:57pm
Ok you bunch of Grinch's, it is time to step up and show some holiday spirit. This story is horrible. I have been in the past to play Santa, but this year I am asking for help from MUSA readers and people that think this is just an awful thing for this child.

I am in the process of contacting the the mother to see just what kind of bike this was and where can one be purchased. If the cost holds true to the store in the paper. Then we would be looking at $600, that is $6 from 100 people.

Is anyone out there willing to step up and help me here??
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 6:00pm
Randy,
        Will you take credit cards?
           pn
firewater View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 6:16pm

I just can't undrestand how someone could do something like this to a child of any kind. It makes me so mad!!!Angry 

Count me in and we need to get his brother a bike too.

"MUSA Santa" Randy, how can we help?Big%20smile
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 6:24pm
I have the 6 bucks Randy. Got a few bucks if you need it for the brother too. Where and when do you need it?
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 6:49pm
Alright guys hers the deal, i just spoke with Karla ( very nice) the cost of the bike is $600 and was made custom by a shop in Mason ( I am going to call them in a few)

Here is what I would like to do, If you have cash and want to donate it call me on my cell phone 513-594-9026 and I will come meet you write you a receipt or you can stop by my office tomorrow, we are closed Friday but back in on Monday. The office is 6730 Roosevelt Ave, the big white building nest to Lone Star. We are on the first floor.

If you wanna donate using a credit or debit card call me in my office Monday morning and we can do that too. Office number is 513-422-1907x357.

Vet, thank you. Give me a call.

Again this story is pretty sad and we should all step up to do something about it . I am not looking for $6

I am looking for any amount you can afford, if it is $1 that helps.

As for the other bike that was taken I will ask about it.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 6:53pm
Randy I will kick in $200.00 if you want to come by and pick it up at work.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 6:59pm
Thanks Pac I will stop by.
firewater View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firewater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 7:09pm
Pca Man ClapClapClap That is awesome!!!!!!
In fact all the MUSA readers are. I am so proud of all of you.Approve
I will give what we can. Randy you know how to get a hold of me. My family loves to help others in need, and are willing to do what ever we can.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 7:13pm
Randy....count me in.....I'll stop by your office.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 8:14pm
Randy
Count me in also
I will drop it off to you tomorrow
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

Randy, put me down for $50. How do you want to collect this? Just let me know
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by tomahawk35 tomahawk35 wrote:

Hell it's Christmas, put me down for $100, What is the latest time you will be at your office.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 9:55pm
Wow this is pretty awsum.

Randy I know where your office building is and my family would like to contribute just tell me who to ask for so I can leave the cash with the right person tomorrow.

And Thanks all for getting this done.

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 10:57pm
Anyone that wants to drop off donations tomorrow can do so. I wont be in the office, but when you walk in ask for Adam Lewis ( thats my younger brother) he will help you out.

I really do want to thank everyone for the support here. I dont care what anyone says about MUSA and it's readers. We are what makes this town great. Merry Christmas all.  Clap
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 11:00pm

Hell it's Christmas, put me down for $100, What is the latest time you will be at your office.

I wont be in tomorrow but my younger brother Adam will be there. If you wanna wait till Monday I work 9:00 am till 8pm stop by any time.  
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 8:50am
Randy - I work out of town all day - I will call you on Monday. 

Terry Wills View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Wills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 11:12am
OK Randy. You have my donation. Gave it to Adam this morning. Nice idea on your part.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 11:27am
Just a quick thank you to all who have stopped in this morning to donate!

Merry Christmas to all of you and all of our readers!

“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 11:37am
Randy count me in too. Nice work with the community!

This isn't the first time Randy got involved. I remember last year

MiddletownUSA.com's Randy Lewis Helps Girls Christmas Wish Come True
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
graymatta View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graymatta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 11:52am
I saw this article on Twitter,

It was Tweeted by Andy Wednt...I think this is a HORRIBLE travesty to happen at Christmas time. I would like to Donate, but I'm in DC. What can be done?

Luke 17:2 It would be better to be thrown into the sea with a millstone hung around your neck than to cause one of these little ones to fall into sin

I know it's not completely accurate in this situation, but it's how I felt reading this story.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 12:15pm
GrayMatta,

Thanks for your twitter reply and your post.. and most of all thanks for your desire to help.

Anyone wishing to donate could simply send a check to:

MiddletownUSA C/O Brewer Bike
6730 Roosevelt Ave
Franklin, Ohio 45005

Simply make the check out to Xponex Media and in the memo line write MiddletownUSA C/O Brewer Bike.

If anyone has any questions give me a call or an email at any time.

Thanks!
Andy Wendt
Xponex Media
513-422-1907 x226
andy@xponex.com
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
graymatta View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graymatta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 12:29pm
Thanks, will do
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 12:59pm
Now that we see Randall Sue get involved with good deeds within the community, we need to find him a real football team to support. How can someone be so compassionate on things like this and be so misguided on choosing a decent football team? Defies logic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic