FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where's The Consumer Protection?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where's The Consumer Protection?
    Posted: Jan 12 2011 at 6:47am
From today's Journal...

COLUMBUS — Hurricane Ike is still wreaking havoc on Duke Energy customers, who now must pay $14 million over the next three years.

The Public Utilities Commission of Ohio on Tuesday authorized Duke Energy Ohio’s recovery of more than $14 million from customers for the utility’s costs associated with the September 2008 windstorm that led to 822,000 outages documented by Duke in Ohio, affecting 83 percent of its customers.

Duke on Dec. 11, 2009, filed an application with the PUCO to request recovery of $28,473,244 in storm-related costs. The PUCO on Tuesday approved the recovery of $14,104,577 from its customers.

The storm-related costs approved Tuesday will be assessed to Duke’s Ohio customers over a three-year period. The average residential customer will pay 35 cents per month through a charge that will appear on bills as the “Distribution Reliability Rider.” This charge includes carrying costs incurred by the utility between Jan. 14, 2009, and today. Duke will notify customers about the charges in an upcoming bill.

A copy of Tuesday’s order is available at www.PUCO.ohio.gov . Click on the link to DIS and enter the case number 09-1946-EL-RDR.

Now.... 35 cents per month is nothing to get in a tizzy about, but why is this so-called Public Utilities Commission giving this kind of break to a utility that makes millions in profits every year? Where in the hell are the people who are suppose to protect the consumer on this? Duke collects millions every year in electricity payments without any loss in payouts. Now, when they had to incur some costs this one time, they cry to the Public Utilities Commission that they had to spend some of their excessive profit dollars on a rare occasion. They sound like insurance companies. Never hear anything from them as long as they are collecting premium payments and there is no payout on claims. But as soon as they have to spend some of those premiums on customer claims, they cry they are losing money.(and, they cancel your insurance if you have a claim in alot of cases) Bull pucky!
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2011 at 9:14am

It's just like the price of gasoline,they do it because they can. What is the consumer going to do ? Quit using electric ? Although I wish I could but the city won't allow it so the consumer is over a barrel.

I sent Duke a "bill" for the loss of food during the "black out" for $90 dollars,I'm still waiting for my reimbursement. According to Duke it was an "act of God" and they were sympathetic to my loss,but unfortunately they could not make restitution due to the nature of the incident.

Interesting huh ?
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2011 at 9:25am
When every one in the Country has their hand in my pocket trying to get their 35 cents it all adds up fast.I have never understood how this can happen.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2011 at 9:36am
Hermes- if the loss of your food was an "act of God" and Duke refuses to pay for your loss, then the damage caused by the wind storm was an "act of God" and the loss of profit money to make the repairs for Duke should likewise, not be paid for by the consumer. All consumers ought to go to the Public Utilities Commission and make their lives miserable for a few hours if you know what I mean. Maybe with face to face confrontation they would get the message that we've had enough. 10/4? Wonder what Duke is paying these 's under the table to rule in favor of the utilities and against the consumer time and time again?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2011 at 6:11pm
Well the problem the consumer has is no one represents us like the lobbyist that represents Duke and big business. If we,the consumer,could hand the politicians $millions then we'd get our way. We are actually duped into voting for low life politicians who cater only to big business and money.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2011 at 8:11pm
It would be nice to find out if Duke was slipping the members of the Public Utilities Commission some money under the table. Would also be nice if this was happening, to have a whistleblower report the activity. I get a kick out of seeing self-important, "above the law" type people sweating a bit. I like it even better when they go to jail ala Bernie Madoff (sp)

IMO, there are few good choices when voting for politicians, be it local, state or fed. The people we really need to represent us can't survive in the snake pit of today's politics. No room for honesty nor integrity if one wants to survive in office. Sad.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic