FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poverty in Boehner's District

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poverty in Boehner's District
    Posted: Apr 16 2011 at 8:16am
Thought there might be some interest since Middletown is a significant contributor.

Poverty in John Boehner's District
April 11, 2011
  • tweetmeme_url = "http://www.thenation.com/blog/159861/poverty-john-boehners-district"; tweetmeme_style = "compact"; < ="text/" ="http://tweetmeme.com/i/s/.js"> < height="20" ="http://api.tweetmeme.com/.js?=http%3A//www.thenation.com/blog/159861/poverty-john-boehners-district&style=compact&o=http%3A//www.facebook.com/l.php%3Fu%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.thenation.com%252Fblog%252F159861%252Fpoverty-john-boehners-district%26h%3D15b4c&b=1" Border="0" width="90" scrolling="no">
  • |
  • Share801 < ="text/" ="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share">
  • |
  • StumbleUpon.com
  • |
  • Recommended by 2
  • |
  • Text Size A|A|A

For forty years, Tina Osso has worked on food and poverty issues serving nearly all of speaker John Boehner’s 8th Congressional District of Ohio. She came to that work in 1973, when the oil embargo resulted in her losing her job, and she unexpectedly found herself in line at a food pantry, where she began volunteering.

About the Author

Greg Kaufmann
Greg Kaufmann is a Nation contributor living in his disenfranchised hometown of Washington, DC. His work has also...

Also by The Author

An interview with Georgetown University law professor Peter Edelman.

The Department of Defense's December review of Afghan strategy glossed over real challenges to the US involvement in the country's political and economic development.

“It changed the course of my life,” says Osso.

Ten years later, she founded the Shared Harvest Foodbank where she still serves as executive director today. The food bank distributes food to pantries, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, nutrition programs for seniors and children, and operates antipoverty programs as well.

Osso describes herself as “an aging hippie, a political activist and a stand-up comedian wannabe, trying her best to do the right thing at the right time.” But among her colleagues she’s earned a reputation as “a longtime people’s advocate,” according to Lisa Hamler-Fugitt, executive director of the Ohio Association of Second Harvest Foodbanks in Columbus.

“She has her finger to the pulse of those in need in the 8th District as much as anyone, and that need is greater now than it has been in decades,” says Hamler-Fugitt.

Indeed in 2009, childhood poverty rose over six points in the Boehner district to reach 19.1 percent, or 29,173 kids. Overall, 14 percent of Boehner’s constituents live below the federal poverty line of $22,400 per year for a family of four. Shared Harvest’s work has more than doubled—it distributed approximately 7 million pounds of food in 2007, and 16 million pounds in 2010.

To respond to increased child hunger, the food bank started a backpack program that provides weekend meals to kids identified by schools as chronically hungry. The warning signs include physical manifestations such as sunken eyes or crusting around the mouth, or behaviors like rushing food lines or hoarding food.

“These are kids ages three to twelve who are at a critical point in their brain development and need adequate nutrition,” says Osso. “We’re only in eleven of the forty-eight school districts in our territory and we now serve about 2,100 children a week. It’s stunning.”

Boehner has many constituents living above the official poverty line who are struggling with hunger as well. In 2010, the number of residents enrolled in the food stamp program (SNAP) in the six counties represented by the Speaker climbed to over 152,000, an increase of over 47,000 people since 2008. Nevertheless, food stamps would be slashed under the House GOP 2012 budget.

“It’s no crime to have childhood poverty and hunger in a district,” says Melissa Boteach, manager of Half in Ten, a national campaign to reduce poverty by 50 percent over the next ten years. “But it is a crime not to do anything about it.”

Osso has a history of reaching out to Boehner to try to get him to understand his constituents’ needs, beginning in the mid-1990s, when he was Chairman of the House Republican Conference. She attempted unsuccessfully to involve him in work on a “trigger mechanism” policy to potentially raise funding for an Emergency Food Assistance Program that hadn’t seen an increase in thirteen years.

More recently, she wrote Boehner a letter describing the impact Republican cut proposals would have on seniors in his district. Shared Harvest provides 1,750 senior citizens a monthly box of food, at $20 per box, through the Commodity Supplemental Food Program. The need is far greater, however, and Osso writes of seniors routinely reading the obituaries to see if a participant has passed away, thereby opening a slot. The House Republican cuts would result in 500 current participants being removed from the program.

“How do I go about doing that?” she asks the Speaker. “Explaining that they will have to go hungry because of a budget deficit?”

She invited Boehner to a CSFP distribution site in Hamilton, Ohio, to meet people like “Mr. Murray, who is 94 and outlived his children, or 97-year-old Mrs. Garret, who lost her husband in World War II.”

Boehner has neither visited nor responded to the letter.

“It’s just been a battle to have him even understand what his constituency is going through,” says Osso, “and I don’t think he even understands to this day.”

Osso attributes Boehner’s lack of empathy to “his perception of his own life and how he was able to quote-unquote pull himself up by his bootstraps. It’s just his inability to understand anyone else’s life experience and circumstances other than his own, so he uses that as the stick by which he measures people.”

Within the district, however, she sees many of Boehner’s constituents learning the hard way that struggles with poverty and hunger are far more pervasive than they ever imagined.

“So many people find themselves in line at food pantries who never thought they’d be there,” says Osso. “I think the best thing that could come out of this Great Recession is for people to understand that it only takes one or two paychecks for most people before they’re standing in line. Maybe that will change the conversation in this nation and we stop blaming poor people for being poor, and start working on solutions to poverty.”

Like other advocates, her frustration with the budget debate is palpable.

“It’s not just the cuts to the programs that we manage. It’s the overall meanness of this budget that targets the most vulnerable populations in our country—the weakest and the ones with the smallest voice,” she says.

Despite years of frustration in trying to get Boehner to respond to his constituents who are struggling, Osso hasn’t entirely given up, and she still has a message for him.

“We just want you to meet your constituents who are involved in making sure their neighbors have enough to eat, and we want you to meet those neighbors who are suffering silently behind closed doors. They are so embarrassed to be hungry,” she says. “We’re fighting each other over crumbs when we should be seeing each other for who we are and working together.”

Like this blog post? Read it on The Nation’s free iPhone App, NationNow.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2011 at 9:00am
Tony.....you have committed the ultimate sin in this area of Ohio. You have just besmirched (there's that word again) the reputation of one of the most admired Republicans in this area. According to many, Boehner can do no wrong. He is a political god to most in SW Ohio, despite his true shortcomings. They relish his ability to ignore the needs of the area he is suppose to represent, his lack of participation in his district and his habit of sending his little munchkins to meet with the common folk, at odd hours when most are working to ask questions. Never see ole Johnny around unless its a function attended by the influential country clubbers and VIP's in the area. Heck, he probably has to be reminded where Hamilton and Middletown are everytime the towns are mentioned. He never has acknowledged that they exists, I don't believe. He only knows West Chester.

Yes, Johnny Boehner is a man of the people......if you're above a certain social level, that is. They just keep putting this back in office time and time again.....without knowing the reasons why they do it. They just remember the green and white Boehner signs I guess and punch the button in the booth. Can't be for what he has done (or not done) for the people.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2011 at 9:21am
Vet - if telling the truth about John Boehner is a sin, I prouldy plead "guilty"!!! I agree completely, why do we keep electing this clown? I confess that I voted for him in 1994 when  the Contract on Ameri... pardon me, the Contract for America specifically called for term limits. Still waiting for that but I'm not holding my breath. The real tragedy here, this person will receive a pension and free health care for the rest of his life while the job he's done in Congress will guarantee that the poor will live on the street and die because of the lack of health care. If he had a conscience (which I doubt), he'd resign his post and withdraw from public life. Since this district is so gerrymandered he can't be defeated here,  I guess we're stuck with him. All I can say is VOTE HIM OUT!!!
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2011 at 12:13pm
The only need that John Boehner recognizes is his own. I didn't think there was any poverty in West Chester because thats the only community in the district that Boehner claims.

When Boehner runs for president his promise will be "a tanning bed in every household". Clap
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2011 at 1:40pm
TonyB- the so-called "Contract with America" (a Newt Gingrich circus show) turned out to mean nothing, just like the "No Child Left Behind" bullcrap from Bush. Hasn't done a darn thing for the education of the kids because it didn't provide any money to the schools to accomplish the desired effect. All the photo ops, pen signing and happy faces from people like Boehner looking on as Bush signed this in Hamilton Ohio was nothing but a joke on the people. These party proclamations are not party specific as I know the Dems are just as capable of pulling these circus shows on the public as well. Washington, in general, generates severe cases of propaganda at times. As we all know, ya can believe anything that comes out of that political cesspool.

As a side note, and speaking of Washington, got an E-Mail the other day from a reliable source. Did you all know that the college students of Congresspeople don't have to pay on their student loans? Just another item on a long list of happenings that ought to frost your monkey.

Here's the info:

Found this interesting: Children of congress members do not have to pay back their college student loans. How nice!

Monday on Fox news they learned that the staffers of Congress family members are exempt from having to pay back student loans. (Which essentially means that Congressmen's "pay" is several thousand per year more than their salaries. This "pay" of course is tax-free.) This will get national attention if other news networks will broadcast it. When you add this to the below, just where will all of it stop?

35 States file lawsuit against the Federal Government

Governors of 35 states have filed suit against the Federal Government for imposing unlawful burdens upon them. It only takes 38 (of the 50) States to convene a Constitutional Convention.

This will take less than thirty seconds to read. If you agree, please pass it on.

This is an idea that we should address.

For too long we have been too complacent about the workings of Congress. Many citizens had no idea that members of Congress could retire with the same pay after only one term, that they specifically exempted themselves from many of the laws they have passed (such as being exempt from any fear of prosecution for sexual harassment) while ordinary citizens must live under those laws. The latest is to exempt themselves from the Healthcare Reform... in all of its forms. Somehow, that doesn't seem logical. We do not have an elite that is above the law. I truly don't care if they are Democrat, Republican, Independent or whatever. The self-serving must stop.

If each person that receives this will forward it on to 20 people, in three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one proposal that really should be passed around.

Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States ."
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2011 at 6:13pm
Just more special perks Vet.

Stop voting these Republican & Democratic a**holes into office.Thats why I switched to the Constitution Party,is it any better ? I really don't know but anything or anyone is better than a damn Republican or Democrat.

And if government is so out of control and a thrid party can't even change it then just throw your hands up and walk away cause it's all lost then.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2011 at 7:38pm
Vet - thanks for the post above. That 28th Amendment is pretty good but it should step back one to a term limit Amendment.
Hermes - if the government was that out of control we wouldn't even be able to write these ideas on a blog. Of course, advocating the voting out of the two ruling parties might be considered an attempt to overthrow the government in their beady little minds. Since it's permissible to lie on the floor of the Senate, there's no telling what excuse they might use if they thought the people were about to vote their parties out of power just to retain power. I'd sure like to see both parties wet their panties at the thought that neither one of them could no longer control the government!!! That would make Boehner's crying look like a side show!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic