FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An interesting note...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An interesting note...
    Posted: Jun 27 2011 at 7:08am
An interesting note from Peoria, IL:

On the City Council agenda for next Tuesday’s meeting is a curious appointment by Mayor Jim Ardis to the Historic Preservation Commission: Steve Pierz. Pierz used to be the so-called “litter czar” in Peoria and by all accounts did a wonderful job. But then he got in a dispute with the City. He wanted to put vinyl siding on a house he owns in an historic district on High Street, but was denied by the Historic Preservation Commission.

So he sued them.

Mind you, he didn’t just sue the City. He sued each commissioner on the Historic Preservation Commission personally, many of whom are still on the Commission today. He ultimately prevailed. The City reached a settlement with him and his wife and reversed the Commission’s decision.

So now the mayor wants to appoint Pierz to the very same commission he sued, to work with the same commissioners he personally sued. Won’t that be a little awkward? And counter-productive, considering Pierz’s demonstrated contempt for the commission?

It’s just another indignity for the Historic Preservation Commission, which has seen its ordinance eviscerated and its attempts to preserve Peoria’s architectural heritage regularly thwarted by the City Council.

Perhaps anyone who has been similarly put out by the local Historic Commission should follow the same course.  You have at least this one legal precedent in your favor.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2011 at 3:54pm
Not only would I not use vinyl siding on a historic structure, I wouldn't use that rubbish on new construction. The fact that Steve Pierz would use such an ungodly, inferior building product is a clear indication of the kind of character he possesses (or lacks).

I'm just kidding really, sounds like a decent man... 
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 3:06pm

Mike
I must tell you that several years ago I used an expensive heavy vinyl siding on a house in
Southern Indiana
and it looked just like wood. The house was beautiful when it was completed and I’m not a fan of vinyl.
Also this article didn’t state if his house was an “infill property” in this historic district. If you remember that was my main objection to the Highland Historic District because it contained so many newer homes or “infill properties” that would also fall under the historic rules.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 8:08pm
"Not only would I not use vinyl siding on a historic structure, I wouldn't use that rubbish on new construction".

Vinyl siding is colored all the way through when compounded. You will not notice if scratched. Aluminum siding, when scratched, loses it's color and goes all the way to the bare aluminum, leaving a visible mark. Vinyl siding without insulation has as much insulating power as aluminum siding with insulation backing it. For some installers, vinyl siding is easier to cut and handle during installation. Aluminum siding can bend and crease during installation. Vinyl siding will not rot, peel, blister, dent from hail, nor scratch.

Now, I must admit, I worked in vinyls and in the plastics industry in R&D and in physical property testing for years back in the 70's and 80's. I have a personal preference and stand by the vinyl products as to performance versus other siding alternatives. IE- I am biased in my response.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2011 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

... I am biased in my response.
I knew it!!! You are a male "vinyl-ist" pig!!!  You are guilty of SIDING discrimination!!!  LOL LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic