FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sunset Pool Demo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2011 at 12:01pm
Whats funny is the community center got a new face lift and Douglas Park got a Splash Pad.Sunset gets a Doggy poopy Park.Thank "SPINELESS ONES."Smile
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2011 at 9:43pm
Ms. Moon I would agree, but as I have followed many a council meeting I cannot remember more than 5 people coming to the podium to voice their concerns on this matter. And I know that number is high.  Minutes from a PB meeting last year showed several citizens speaking out not to remove the pool but they are talking to a board that has know real power.  The chairman Mr. Conners (Don't know if thats the correct spelling) spoke at council and advised the city to wait on demo. give Mr. Wood  time to drum up money, didn't happen. Also it was suggested that a new pool, smaller, updated could be built in the future, this to me makes quite alot of sense. I am the first to question what comes out of the second floor but it's over and until more people like Ms. Moon come forward to work on these issues your dreaming that the city is going to spend our money on these "extras". The community center got a new "face lift" due to volunteers busting their -ss asking for donations from local business people willing to listen to a well lad out plan.  Mr. Armbruster at one of the council meetings brought up an " Idea" to look into a park that would benefit dog owners . Never once do I remember Sunset  being the target of this "Idea". It was studied and put on the shelf.  I grew up going to Sunset and lucky enough to belong to Wildwood I also followed the reopening of Sunset and each year of the three attendance dropped and it wasn't all due to weather.  Times have changed and maybe Mr. Wood will get fired up again and we can all support the building of a new pool, it could happen. 
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 5:04am
Ground Swat
What will now happen to the $18,000 that was left in the pool fund from Armco?
The Community Center and the entire area were different because it was part of the City's 5 year Plan and therefore got funding and support from the City
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 7:57am
Your guess Ms. Moon is as good as mine. Will it be used to pay for the demo. ? Can it be transfered over for other purposes?  I along with many others was taken aback when the city disclosed they had that kind of money left over.  As stated before I am totally lost when it comes to the decisions out of the city building.  If in fact someone wants to start a focus group to look into a new pool maybe this money can be set aside.  But if anyone thinks the city is going to look into the future for recreation needs you'll be waiting a long time.  On the other topic I'm not quite clear about a 5 year plan. Council woman Jones worked on getting the Center painted, paint may have been bought by the city but several citizens did the work.  The Center and park were then renovated(On the outside) by local contractors. 
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 9:44am
Ground Swat
The Douglass area was one of the areas that Mr Adkins was focusing on using the CDBG funds to improve over the next few years which was part of the 5 year HUD Community Plan.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 11:58am
They'll probably end up giving the $18k to the golf course
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 12 2011 at 1:49pm
Or Divide  and pocket it.LOL
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2011 at 7:03pm
 Disapprove

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2011 at 11:48pm
I can smell the dog crap but its coming from the city building.These people that chose this must all loose their jobs.Pinch
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2011 at 6:46am
I still don't understand why this has to be torn down and the pool filled in. What would the cost be to mothball it for the city? I would imagine little to nothing. Never know.....in 5-10 years or so, there may be a need for this again. Times change, people's interests change, may be a resurgence in the interest of having a community pool again as people come and go in this town. (Realizing more are going than coming at this time- ) OK, the thing is torn down and hauled away to the dump and the hole is filled in.......now what? It sits as another empty lot with no future potential other than more frikkin' "green space". Hell, don't we have enough "green space" around there with Roosevelt now fenced off? Aren't we creating enough "desolation" in this town with the "crash and burn/tear everything down in site/ blitzkrieg" mentality? Perhaps the people dumping mattresses and other junk will move the dumping to the pool location now and we'll have to fence that in too. Mercy, we need a change in leadership to stop this "destruction for no apparent reason" mentality.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2011 at 9:14am
If those pictures are of what I think they are, then you have got to be freaking kidding me! They're just filling in the pool without breaking up the floor??? Great, now I'm going to have a SWAMP half a block from my house. Super awesome work.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2011 at 9:52am
Is the city the best choice for this work?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2011 at 11:09am
409- randy just a thought here....... Most of you folks are certainly more well versed on the computer than I am. I happened to check out the Middletown Public Library site and found the Library Lens digital photo colletion from George Crout. Found it to be extremely interesting as to Middletown's past, especially the 50's and 60's pictures.

I was wondering, since you have these great photos of Roosevelt school, Sunset Pool, the downtown buildings pre and post demolition, etc., would it be a good idea to contact the library and ask them to include these photos in this collection or would this be too much trouble to do? What are your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.
middleman View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2011 at 5:47pm
I heard the city doing the demo is going to save thousands of dollars.  The same crew took up the blacktop on university blvd after the huge water pipe broke.  Heard that job alone saved the city like 60K.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2011 at 7:22pm
middleman, that may be but it begs the question why there are city employees who have the time to jump on these unforeseen projects.  I thought the city was running super lean and that there was no unnecessary staffing?
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2011 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

409- randy just a thought here....... Most of you folks are certainly more well versed on the computer than I am. I happened to check out the Middletown Public Library site and found the Library Lens digital photo colletion from George Crout. Found it to be extremely interesting as to Middletown's past, especially the 50's and 60's pictures.

I was wondering, since you have these great photos of Roosevelt school, Sunset Pool, the downtown buildings pre and post demolition, etc., would it be a good idea to contact the library and ask them to include these photos in this collection or would this be too much trouble to do? What are your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.
Vet....I'd like to do something along those lines. I have loads of images and have only posted a few. I always plan on trying to sort through them each winter when I figure I'll have some extra time. Well......Maybe this winter.....
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2011 at 11:33pm
Scouter...you are correct....the deep end is filled with large concrete chunks, dirt, and ?
The baby pool is now gone.

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2011 at 7:08am
Thanks for the pics. 409.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2011 at 10:43am
Ridiculous. The old pool bottom will hold in water and make that ground super saturated. Unsuitable for building any type of structure on it in the future, and if you get a severe amount of precipitation it can lead to swampy conditions and all the fun that comes with it (mosquitos).

This was even brought up already months (years) ago. Good to know we plan ahead and do the job right instead of cutting corners!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2011 at 11:46am
Originally posted by middletownscouter middletownscouter wrote:

Ridiculous. The old pool bottom will hold in water and make that ground super saturated. Unsuitable for building any type of structure on it in the future, and if you get a severe amount of precipitation it can lead to swampy conditions and all the fun that comes with it (mosquitos).

This was even brought up already months (years) ago. Good to know we plan ahead and do the job right instead of cutting corners!

That water that will roll down that hill in the foreground will do a nice job in adding to the saturation too scouter.

Have you noticed what is missing in all of 409's pictures on the pool demolition? This isn't being handled correctly at all is it?......

Like any "State of Ohio highway project", the backhoes and dump trucks are shown, but there is no DIErectors, Managers, Assist. Managers, Supervisors, Assist Supervisors, Team Leaders, Assist. Team Leaders and DIErectors, Managers, Soupyvisors or Team Leaders in-training standing around a pointin', yuckin' it up and backslappin' with coffee cup in hand, while they watch the operators work. C'mon Gilleland. Let's get some city muckitymucks out there to monitor this while we destroy something......anything and make sure the hole is filled in properly according to the city policy on hole fillin'. Remember, if you have difficulty determining how that hole is to be filled, you have a valuable resource in that all-knowing Law DIErector of yours to set you straight. Just kidding. I'm sure the city building doggies know what they're doing......maybe.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2011 at 7:06pm
The floor of the pool should have had multiple holes hammered into it to allow drainage,can't tell if this was done.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2011 at 8:18am
I'm beginning to think that the deep end was filled in to use as a work surface for the removal of the surrounding walkways. They have been hauling the remnants of the walkway. Maybe will remove the bottom when the edge and walls come out?
From last evening:

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2011 at 1:23pm
Forget my last post. They are filling in over the concrete bottom. 
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2011 at 4:39pm
Great but sad pics 409. Thanks for sharing.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2011 at 10:02pm
No holes NO drainage!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic