FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

English As A Second Language?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: English As A Second Language?
    Posted: Sep 21 2011 at 7:06am
Today's Journal...

Denise Lepe-Perkins, the school’s English as a Second Language Coordinator, also will be on hand to assist parents that have ESL needs, she said

ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE- REALLY? HERE IN THE U.S. HUH? AM I UNDERSTANDING THIS CORRECTLY? THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE TAKES A BACK SEAT TO THE PERSON'S NATIVE LANGUAGE? OR IS THIS A PROGRAM THAT BRINGS NON-ENGLISH SPEAKING STUDENTS ON BOARD TO EVENTUALLY SPEAK OUR LANGUAGE, BECOMING THE STUDENTS PRIMARY LANGUAGE? COULD READ IT BOTH WAYS.

How we have changed in the last few decades. So kind....so accomodating....so "turn the other cheek" in dealing with catering to every aspect of those not in the majority. What ever happened to standardization? To finding a common ground for all to function by? To society requirements? It has become too individualized with too many different programs to accomodate each and every person and each and every group....especially minorities. It appears the majority is bowing down to the minorities. Why did we let this happen? Why are we "bending over backwards" in our concentration in the minority category as certain majority segments of the population struggle on? JMO

Chris Fiora View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Fiora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2011 at 1:15pm
Vet,
I agree that the program's name is misleading, but its purpose is to help those students who do not know English, or who are struggling with English, learn English. 

The program's objective is to help those students become proficient in English.
Chris Fiora
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2011 at 4:50am
I don't know why the US just doesn't make english the official language (bec it isn't interestingly). Then everything would be in English first, and it would eliminate pressing "1" for English...I am all for people learning the language. I don't know how we let people become citizens who don't know any english after living here for 30 years.
Eleven View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2011 at 2:17pm
I would hope this program also encourages these kids to help their parents and other family members learn English as well. I've witnessed quite a few times the younger children have to translate for mom or dad.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic