FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown Cemetery Vault

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown Cemetery Vault
    Posted: Oct 04 2011 at 10:59am

Friends of the Middletown Cemetery
I’m pleased to announce that Houston Brothers will start work on the vault’s stonework this week.
The work should be completed in about four weeks.
Thanks for all your help and support over the past seven years.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2011 at 11:34am
Nice effort on your part from beginning to end Vivian. Just totally unnecessary and meaningless for the city to have given you and your volunteer group, all the grief you encountered over the years. In the end, IMO, the correct decision was made.

Want to thank the cemetery board folks out there for their efforts on the continuation of the improvements from a long neglected piece of the town's history.

I would like to think that if my grandfather were alive, he would have thanked the people who are responsible for the newfound interest in the cemetery. Remember as a kid, going with him to the Stillwaugh gravesite to unload the lawnmower, cut the small plot, use hand trimmers (weed eaters weren't invented then) to trim around the stones and do it all over again in a week or two. Back then, we two visited the gravesite there and those at Woodside often.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2011 at 12:51pm

Vet
We still need to get funding for the roof, cupola and the new steel doors but a least the city can’t demo the vault now.
Dan Tracy is going to donate a termite treatment when it’s completed so it may last another 100 years.

ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2011 at 7:12pm
Bravo!!!!!!  If you own something take care of it, thats how hard it is. The Board stepped up and got one more thing on the LIST happening.  Good call on the LEADERSHIP change.  It ain't always easy to make everyone happy.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2011 at 11:16am

I’m sorry for the misinformation….
Houston Bros will start work Tuesday morning,
October 11, 2011
on the restoration of the stone work of the vault.
Thank You to the following for their donations….
Martha Newton Estate,
Middletown
Community Foundation and W. S. Smith History grant.

da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2011 at 6:42pm
[QUOTE=Vivian Moon]

I’m sorry for the misinformation….
Houston Bros will start work Tuesday morning,
October 11, 2011
on the restoration of the stone work of the vault.
Thank You to the following for their donations….
Martha Newton Estate,
Middletown
Community Foundation and W. E. Smith History grant.

I always say never post anything unless you have done your research and you have your facts right, especially since we never know who is reading this and other blogs...

I see you have only thanked three donors above in your post.  There were alot more people who donated not only funds but the time to go out and get the funds that are now restoring the Vault.

First of all I would like to thank Mitchell Ballard for all his help with getting the funding in the last six months by letting us know again that a letter writing campaign will always work.  I would also like to thank the above mentioned donors and the ones listed below.  Without your generousity projects like this would never happen.  

Daughters of the American Revolution

Rick's Auto Ctr
VFW Ladies Aux
Morrison Family
Donna Kramer
SunCoke Middletown
Judy P Pressler
Air Products
Mary C Lord
IAM Local Lodge 1943

Norman/Pat Hayes
Midge Bailey Bryant
Wm.Rathman
Thomas Buchert
John/Virginia Ritan
Breit McCoy Leffler
Funeral Home

Kiniyalocts
Judge Anthony Valen
Retired

Baker-Stevens Funeral Home
Carl/Jennifer Batliner
Laureate Beta Kappa
Fred/Margo Day
Susan/Andrew Singer

Signed
Deb Morrison, Middletown Cemetery Board Member
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2011 at 8:18pm
As a born and bred Middletonian for 63 years, I would like to thank Vivian Moon and her volunteers who brought this whole thing to the community's attention years ago and who endured some of the city's "indescretions" in handling this whole affair. I would also like to thank the person. or persons who filed the complaint against the city, resulting in a hearing in Columbus as to the city's indifference to this, and finally, I thank the cemetery board and the new folks who are involved in this newfound interest in an old cemetery which was being forgotten.

All of your efforts are appreciated by the citizens, especially those who have family buried there.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2011 at 8:49pm
Ms Morrison

I always try to do my research and get all the facts right. Houston Bros gave me the information last week and this week also. So as you can see I did go to the source.

The total cost of the restoration of the stonework on the vault is $43,000.
When this funding went before City Council they stated that the $43,000 was from three donors:
Martha Newton Estate…………………..…..$25,000
Middletown Community Foundation….....$15,000
W. S. Smith History Grant……………….....$3,000
TOTAL……………………………………….....……$43,000

Also Dan Tracy will be donating a termite application for the vault next spring.

I presume that the other donations that you listed will be used for the roof, cupola, new steel doors and other items next spring.

John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2011 at 9:28pm
Kudos to Viv, my latest Facebook friend.

You are doing the work of the angels. I think He is watching and smiling on your efforts. We must never forget our forefathers and mothers.

God Bless you Viv!
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2011 at 9:40pm

Really People?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2011 at 6:10am
Originally posted by da120757 da120757 wrote:

Really People?

Please explain.
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2011 at 8:12am
Really? A cemetery vault!

To everyone that rants about Pendleton and Cincy State but sings the praise of saving the vault.

What a waste of money
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2011 at 8:14am
Vivian....always does her homework and gets her facts right?   NOT!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2011 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

Really? A cemetery vault!

To everyone that rants about Pendleton and Cincy State but sings the praise of saving the vault.

What a waste of money

Looks like most of the money that will be used for the restoration of the vault is coming from private donations or grants. Isn't coming from the pockets of the taxpayer is it? IMO, as long as it doesn't infringe on the tax money collected and remains a private venture decision to fund it, shouldn't be an issue, right?

As to your comment about Cincy State and the Pendleton......the Pendletown has used several hundred thousand dollars of Middletown taxpayer money and has minimal success to date. Not a good return on investment so far, wouldn't you say. As to Cinci State- over $450,000 worth of taxpayer money used by the city to purchase 4 Thatcher buildings with no firm contract signed for usage......mothballing a bank building and the Manchester, half the buildings bought....AGAIN, USING TAXPAYER MONEY......The vault......minimal to no taxpayer money used......that's the difference Midd 29. Isn't it just a tad bit of a change to see some of the past kept because this group of city leaders are on a "knock everything down/destroy any of the city's past/leave open barren wasteland in it's place" program.

As for Vivian.....some may not like her direct approach but shouldn't we all be appreciative for Vivian and her group of volunteers and what they decided to do at the cemetery? Then, to add insult to injury, have it shoved back at them by Gilleland and company for their efforts? An effort by a group of citizens who cared and the city showing no class in their reaction to the effort. Disgusting and childish on the part of the city leaders, IMO.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2011 at 12:11pm
Vet, please don't feed the troll. Maybe they'll either go away or start being a constructive member of the community rather than constantly make negative comments as well as personal attacks against other members.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2011 at 5:11pm
Theres know better way to discourage help than not focusing on the issue.  WE own this parcel of land, it needs attention. 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2011 at 6:44pm
Several years after the vault was built in 1878 they lined the inside of the vault with brick that was manufactured in West Middletown by the Frisch Family who are buried on the East side of the vault. When the brick liner was completed they install wooden racks to hold bodies during the winter months when it was to difficult to dig the graves. The families were charged rent for each day their loved one was stored until they could be buried in the spring.

October 11, 2011 Houston Bros stared the job by removing the front sandstone edging of the roof and then the gutters. Then the fieldstone located over the door that was bulging was removed. Next came putting the key stone of the gothic arch doorway back in place. They also removed some of the brick liner in the front area inside the vault.
Other workmen have started grinding out the old mortar and tuck pointing all the loose fieldstone. Houston Bros commented on how well the mason had cut and laid the fieldstone so many years ago.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2011 at 7:05pm
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2011 at 7:12pm
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2011 at 7:26pm
Any idea if they are using lime based mortar or not?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2011 at 10:00pm
Good ?  Very nice of Ken from Denny lumber to handle the gate. they might know the answer 771.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2011 at 9:10am

Viper771

Houston Bros uses a lime base N mortar for all restorations work.

They will be tinting the motar on the vault to give it an aged look

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2011 at 9:32am
Vivian....I noticed in your pictures that our city manager isn't assisting in the restoration. Just thought she would like to contribute to the cause.
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 9:14am
In May of this year, two of the board members with donations from area businesses planted flowers and laid mulch at the cemetery to help beautify it for Memorial Day Weekend and one of the Board Members took charge of the Bright Spot Planters.  Last Sunday I went to the Cemetery to Lock the gate and Noticed that someone has planted new flowers in the front flower beds at the cemetery.  They look beautiful and I would like to say thank you to whomever did this.  It is a bright spot...

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2011 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by da120757 da120757 wrote:

In May of this year, two of the board members with donations from area businesses planted flowers and laid mulch at the cemetery to help beautify it for Memorial Day Weekend and one of the Board Members took charge of the Bright Spot Planters.  Last Sunday I went to the Cemetery to Lock the gate and Noticed that someone has planted new flowers in the front flower beds at the cemetery.  They look beautiful and I would like to say thank you to whomever did this.  It is a bright spot...

Your news is refreshing to hear. Again, want to thank the board for the effort made to rectify what was once a bad situation.

You know what the frustrating thing is Ms. Morrison? What you described in your post was already done by Ms. Moon and her volunteer group and removed. We basically re-invented the wheel on the landscaping effort here, didn't we? Such a shame some city leaders couldn't grow up and had to do the power thing by removing what was once there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic