FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Homework doesn't Make the Grade (Video)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Homework doesn't Make the Grade (Video)
    Posted: May 17 2007 at 10:20am

Does homework make a grade? Not if the school administration gets it way. Listen to this first reading of a proposal to do away with homework grades.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Bill Rogers View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 11:07am
I think as long as the student can prove that they know the material, pass the tests, and so on, it shouldn't matter whether they choose to do homework or not. Obviously, grading homework is a great incentive to force students to do homework, which would be greatly beneficial to your average student as far as getting them to learn the material, but placing the responsibility on them to learn it without the carrot and stick isn't necessarily a bad thing.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2007 at 11:10am
I think it should be up to the individual teacher.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2007 at 9:46am

So what was the problem? Some parents wanted their children to succeed so much that they became overly involved in their life and their homework?  Wow that's a shame.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2007 at 8:14am

Why change the homework policy to accomodate your lowest common factor?  This is nothing more than the dumbing down of the School system to accomodate your lowest performing students.

The fact that some parents do not get involed in their kids lives is that families problem and not the whole school system.  Yes I make my son do his homework until it is right, how else is he going to learn, as he sure as hell is not going to learn by policy changes like these.
Next you will have the school Board  outlawing Pop Quizzes because some students don't do well on tests.

If you constantly are trying to accomodate your lowest scoring students you will eventually have nothing but that. 

Just another reason my son will be out of the Middletown School System next year.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2007 at 8:31am
Maybe Dr. Price and Crew should do more research and also provide both sides of the arguement instead of their one sided view:

The Weak Case Agains Homework

Why is Homework Important

Just as you can Google the case against Homerwork you can Google the Case for Homework.

Maybe Dr. Price and Mrs. Andrews should do their Homework.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2007 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Why change the homework policy to accomodate your lowest common factor?  This is nothing more than the dumbing down of the School system to accomodate your lowest performing students.

The fact that some parents do not get involed in their kids lives is that families problem and not the whole school system.  Yes I make my son do his homework until it is right, how else is he going to learn, as he sure as hell is not going to learn by policy changes like these.
Next you will have the school Board  outlawing Pop Quizzes because some students don't do well on tests.

If you constantly are trying to accomodate your lowest scoring students you will eventually have nothing but that. 

Just another reason my son will be out of the Middletown School System next year.

Perhaps the idea is to change the policy to address what is best for the majority of students. Middletown is not (for example) Mason, and many of the same people who would complain endlessly about how our students' scores are so terrible would fail to take into account that there are a lot of poor people in this community, and a lot of students without any sort of help outside of school to complete their homework. This change might in your opinion lower the quality of education your own child receives in our system, in which case you can feel quite justified in taking your son to another district, but the issue is whether this would help the majority. That said, Meg Dyer makes a great point that this is more of a social and economic issue than it is a purely educational issue, and on that basis I think her case is quite valid.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2007 at 1:15pm
Bill show me some statistics that say that the majority if kids in Middletown can not get adequate help with their homework, r they will benefit from this policy change.

Homework has been around for years and I will admit that when I was in elementary school homework was not handed out on a regular basis, but I also wasn't starting to do Algebra in the 5th grade.

By using your logic testing should not be graded either because a majority of kids will benfit by receiving no grades as it has been stated that many people are not effective intaking tests.

There is more to doing homework than just getting the assignment right it instills a work ethic into the children that most will need for their entire educational life.

Sorry but i just don't buy this oh woe is the few that we must change the policy for. 
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2007 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Bill show me some statistics that say that the majority if kids in Middletown can not get adequate help with their homework, r they will benefit from this policy change.

Homework has been around for years and I will admit that when I was in elementary school homework was not handed out on a regular basis, but I also wasn't starting to do Algebra in the 5th grade.

By using your logic testing should not be graded either because a majority of kids will benfit by receiving no grades as it has been stated that many people are not effective intaking tests.

There is more to doing homework than just getting the assignment right it instills a work ethic into the children that most will need for their entire educational life.

Sorry but i just don't buy this oh woe is the few that we must change the policy for. 

There's no one to say that a teacher can't suggest work to do at home. There's no one to say you can't supervise your own child, and apply your supervision to helping him study his material without getting a grade for it. Those concerned, responsible parents like you can still see that their children get their learning in and their work ethics instilled, and those children with parents that don't help them at home will be graded with more of a focus on how much they know the material rather than how much busywork they completed at home.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2007 at 2:23pm
I have to agree with Meg on this one. If it is school work and has value, it needs to be graded.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic