FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Firefighter Proposal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2012 at 7:18am
I would advise Mr. Harvey to say know more, SB5 was tossed out but it's not forgotten. The only hatred I have is the lack of common sense these unions have along with a city that has over 60 accounts they can shuffle money around. This system and admin. is broken.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2012 at 7:06am
Today's Journal....

Middletown firefighters agree to wage freeze, will pay more for health care

MIDDLETOWN — Firefighters have agreed to no wage increases for at least two years and to double their health care payments, according to a new three-year IAFF contract City Council is considering

“I think considering the economic times and the financial times the governor put the city in, it was a win for the city,” IAFF President Jon Harvey said, “and there was no sense of us prolonging any kind of process when our goal is to try to move this city forward.”

But Councilman Josh Laubach thinks the city staff “could have done a better job.”

But Laubach believes the contract is not beneficial for the city.

“I think we have to do a better job if we’re going to move forward in the future and provide adequate safety protection and meet all of our obligations,” he said.

He’d like to see more money invested in infrastructure

SO WOULD THE MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE LIVING HERE MR. LAUBACH BUT SOMEHOW NONE OF US THINK THAT WILL HAPPEN.

And Laubach said about 70 percent of the city’s general fund is spent on police and fire, and he said the city cannot afford that.

“I think we need a pay reduction, which isn’t there,” he said. “And the ‘me too’ clause was not in the best interest of city employees.”

“We’re spending so much on public safety; we’re not spending enough (local) money on our infrastructure,” he said

AGREE-SO WHEN IS THE STREET FUND GOING TO HAVE IT'S MONEY RETURNED FROM THE "BORROWING" DONE FOR "EMERGENCY PURPOSES" IN 1986?

Harvey disagrees with Laubach’s assessment, saying historically cities nationwide pay 70 to 80 percent for police and fire departments.

Middletown has budgeted 72 percent of the general fund for public safety, or just under $21 million, for 2012. Of the $8.9 million spent on the fire department, 88 percent is spent on personnel.

88 PERCENT OF THE 8.9 MIL ON PERSONNEL! TOO HIGH ISN'T IT?

“That’s where citizens say where they want their money spent,” Harvey said. “I think Josh’s hatred for unions gets in his way of thinking clearly

MAYBE AMEND THAT TO SAY "JOSH'S HATRED FOR UNION GREED" HARVEY. AND NO, LAUBACH IS THINKING QUITE CLEARLY.

Harvey said the contract does move the city forward because it controls costs, and there’s no substantial cost to the city

HOW DO YOU FIGURE THAT 88% on 8.9 MIL IS NO SUBSTANTIAL COST? MOST OF THE BUDGET MONEY IS CONSUMED BY SALARIES AND BENEFIT COSTS. 'BOUT TIME YOU PUBLIC SECTOR FOLKS STARTED PAYING 15% TOWARD YOUR BENNIES. 7.5% HAS BEEN A GIFT FOR MANY YEARS FOR YOU. PRIVATE SECTOR PEOPLE HAVE BEEN PAYING 15% OR MORE FOR MANY YEARS. IT'S YOUR TURN NOW TO SHARE IN THE MISERY.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic