FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Monroe Schools- Money Crisis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monroe Schools- Money Crisis
    Posted: Feb 08 2012 at 6:43am
From the Journal....

More than 300 seek answers to Monroe’s financial woes

MONROE — While fiscal emergency appears imminent for Monroe Local Schools, more than 300 residents showed up at the community meeting Tuesday night looking for answers as to why the district is in a financial hole

The district was placed in fiscal watch last week by the state auditor’s office, and may request to be placed in fiscal emergency without submitting another recovery plan, which would then allow the state to appoint an oversight commission.

In addition to the 19 positions being eliminated, Superintendent Elizabeth Lolli said busing routes will be reduced from 23 to 15, which will save the district more than $400,000.

Among the cuts will be three elementary music teachers and two elementary/junior high art teachers

Other changes include: administrators will be tasked with additional responsibilities; pay-to-participate fees will increase for athletics, marching band and after school clubs; and one assistant coaching position from each sport will be eliminated, a savings of a little under $1 million

SO.....WE HAVE THE TEACHERS TAKING A HIT. WE HAVE THE ARTS AND MUSIC PROGRAMS TAKING A HIT. WE HAVE THE EXTRA CURRICULARS TAKING A HIT. WE HAVE THE BUSING ROUTE NUMBERS TAKING A HIT........BUT NO ADMINISTRATOR POSITIONS WERE HIT, JUST TAKING ON A LITTLE MORE RESPONSIBILITY. NOTICED IT IS A COMMON PRACTICE THAT THE PEOPLE MAKING THE DECISIONS AT THE TOP ALWAYS PROTECT THEIR LITTLE MOUNTAIN TOP POSITIONS WHEN IT COMES TO CUTTIN' TIME. IF MONEY SAVINGS IS THE ISSUE TO GET OUT OF DEBT FOR THE DISTRICT, WHY NOT CUT THE HIGH PAYING SALARIES AND REALLY MAKE A DENT IN THE DEBT? SAME FOR ANY DOWNSIZING EVENT, PRIVATE OR PUBLIC.

“We need to work together as a committed group of people to focus on the children of this school district,” Lolli said. “While we (district officials) in this room will provide leadership, we cannot do this without community support. We will pull out of this.”

ARE YOU SURE LOLLI, THAT THE PEOPLE IN MONROE WANT YOUR LEADERSHIP ANYMORE WITH THIS MAJOR SCREWUP. YOU ARE THE SUPER. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SHIP RUNNING CORRECTLY. YOU ARE PAID WELL FOR DOING SO. YOU DID NOT OVERSEE YOUR OPERATION AS YOU ARE PAID TO DO. YOU SHOULD GO TO. YOU HAVE FAILED THE KIDS, YOUR SUBORDINATES AND THE COMMUNITY. WHY DON'T THE PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE EVER TAKE THE HIT? WHY IS IT ALWAYS THE PEOPLE IN THE LOWER ECHELONS OF THE ORGANIZATION, THE PARENTS AND THE KIDS WHO ARE PENALIZED?

THIS APPLIES TO ANY SCHOOL DISTRICT....NOT JUST MONROE......(MIDDLETOWN).
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2012 at 8:31am
Why are we in the hole?? Look around! Heard about Butler county lately? Been on the computer lately, hear about any forcolsures in Liberty Twp.? Noticed any taxpayer services missing lately?? I hope the paper animated that story. Thousands of hard working public works/teaching folks out there trying to do their job and the front office can't come out and say this will be handled with savings from Admin. cuts. You know your screwed when you get rid of your worker bees , ever seen a queen make honey? The system is broke!! I'd be more than happy to consult on how to give performance reviews, promote motivation and how to terminate employment I might do it for free. Well I wish I could say "Good luck with that" but since Monroe is just down the street I'm sure Middletown will see some concern!? I hope!! Just gets better and better.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2012 at 10:28am
Three administrators are being cut -- I believe 2 principals are included.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2012 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Bill Bill wrote:

Three administrators are being cut -- I believe 2 principals are included.

Thanks for the info. Bill. Journal article didn't mention specifics on administrator cuts. Just said administrators would share "additional responsibilities".
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2012 at 6:20pm
Thanks Bill and sorry for the melt down all. Still don't get how this happens with the citizens shocked.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic