FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Landbanking

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Landbanking
    Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 9:43am
From MJ:

City will vote on land bank funding

State funds would be matched to raze blighted properties.

By Michael D. Pitman, Staff Writer 8:46 AM Saturday, June 9, 2012

MIDDLETOWN — City Council will need to decide in two weeks if it will allocate more than $1 million of taxpayer’s money to help fund its share of the Butler County land bank in order to raze blighted and abandoned properties.

The county will apply for an approximately $2.7 million Moving Ohio Forward grant from the Ohio Attorney General’s Office.

All but $500,000 of the grant must be matched by Middletown and Hamilton, the only county cities that have agreed to participate in the land bank.

Both Middletown and Hamilton are working to create a master agreement to be a part of the land bank.

Any local government can join the land bank so long their respective officials sign the master agreement, which would likely include associated fees, said Community Revitalization Director Doug Adkins.

Earlier this week, Adkins told Middletown council that legislation is expected to be presented at its June 19 meeting.

“The opportunity to leverage funds of this magnitude does not come often and staff believes that the city should re-prioritize projects in order to provide a local match, if necessary,” Adkins wrote in a staff report to council.

Late last month, Butler County commissioners approved to form the land bank, or County Land Reutilization Corp., the quasi-public nonprofit organization that can acquire vacant, abandoned, tax-foreclosed or other real property for rehabilitation or reuse. All property acquired would be cleared of all liens, including delinquent property taxes.

The county could have used fines paid on delinquent property taxes to pay toward the local match, but commissioners chose at least for this year not to do so, according to the county’s land bank proposal.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine announced in February that Ohio was part of the joint federal-state $25 billion settlement with the nation’s five largest mortgage providers over foreclosure abuses, fraud and unacceptable mortgage practices.

Ohio’s share was $335 million, and $75 million was committed to the creation of the Moving Ohio Forward Grand Program to demolish vacant and abandoned properties. The money was divided among Ohio’s 88 counties based on the county’s foreclosure rate.

There are three scenarios which Middletown could reallocate taxpayer money from different funds, but Adkins said Friday city staff hasn’t yet made a recommendation. Each scenario would result in transferring almost $1.09 million to the land bank this year and next.

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 9:57am
This just blows my mind  "City Council will need to decide in two weeks if it will allocate more than $1 million of taxpayer’s money to help fund its share of the Butler County land bank in order to raze blighted and abandoned properties."
This is insane.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 10:31am
The true disgusting nature of almost all states, and the fed in this insane concept is that instead of simply proving a "Homebank" for those that have lost 50% or greater in valuation in their property, the Attorney General goes out and takes his piece of a settlement, which was embarrassingly low, about 1% of the actual damage associated with the derivative risk maneuvers of Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, AIG, and takes those funds, that a city matches, to tear down properties. Therefore, instead of providing 10% of the money to give to a homeowner to help through foreclosure or such issue, its taking capital to tear down a home lost in foreclosure. The fed and state government is simply broken. The complete ignorance is beyond reasonable comprehension.

Same with ObamaCare. Instead of the trillions collected, the addition of IRS workers to enforce insurance, and the masses of money to fight this through the Supreme Court, the focus should have been prevention. Annual MRI's for all indiviiduals, federal health clubs or stipends to maintain weight and get in shape, to avoid the costs after illness. You know...the ounce of prevention is worth a pound in cure?

Idiots in fed, idiots in state, idiots down the chain. It just doesn't ever stop. And to think they won the lottery. What happened to the tobacco settlement funds stopping smoking? It is on the rise, and taxation has nothing nothing, the fed strategy towards prevention.

Ignorance is bliss. Well, you gotta spend $500,000 Mm to get a few MM. Just like the school. We got to get that levey rolling or we miss out on the state matching the money, even though we don't really need a building. Will it ever end? Highly..............doubtful. The Orvis elevator just doesn't reach the top anymore.     
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 10:55am
This type of "behavior" wouldn’t occur if they had the intellect of you and the seven conspiracy nuts. It’s amazing how stupid everybody else is.
"If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got"
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 1:01pm
Perhaps the solution is public servants have to be IQ 133, Mensa certified. What do you think goose? 
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 1:49pm
In reality, I don't think that anyone, with any IQ, would satisfy you guys. Thats why I'm so freaking frustrated. In the last two weeks, I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge about our city. There are some extremely bright people that post here but everyone is so jaded that you can not have an honest discussion about anything.

I refuse to "step in line" with this robotic pounding of my hometown. There is plenty wrong with Middletown but there is absolutely no discussion of how to make things better.

You know the saying.... "misery loves company".
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 7:59pm
greygoose,

There really is no such thing as an "honest" discussion. Everyone has an opinion that has been shaped by their intellect and experience. If you look past some of the "pounding" being done, there are discussions and ideas on how to make things better. I'll attempt to summarize some of them and I'm sure there are others who will expand on these ideas. For starters:

1) Fix the roads and infrastructure!!! Put the money that had been earmarked for that purpose back into the budget instead of putting it into the general fund.
2) Get out of the real estate business!!! Helping private investors is one thing; using tax funds to buy and then give away real estate is another matter entirely.
3) Prioritize spending to provide public safety instead of employment!!! I happen to think we need police officers and firefighters more than we need assistants and secretaries.
4) Lower income taxes and get streamline regulations so that Middletown becomes a more attractive place to live and start a business.
5) Stop doing things "half way". If you want to have an arts district downtown, that's fine; just don't expect that wanting it to happen will make it happen. One step at a time works fine when you're on a staircase, but when you want to promote economic development, a more thorough and thought out plan that is vigorously promoted and executed will greatly improve the chances of success.
6) Open, honest and transparent government!!! We don't have national security interests at stake so why is everything so secret. More outreach, more and better communication strategies and some honest dialogue about where Middletown is and where the citizens want to go would provide a more positive image instead of the "doom and gloom" atmosphere and the empty rhetoric of the current administration.

That's a start. There are others on this board who can articulate their ideas for the city with greater clarity and expertise than I. The only way to remove the "jade" from the discussion is to promote ideas instead of recriminations. Hope this helps.
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 9:17pm
TonyB,

I appreciate your thoughts. I agree that everybody’s opinion is shaped by their personal life experiences but disagree that this precludes honest discussion & debate. Sadly, this board now reminds me of our overall political system. It loses all credibility when you must "step in line" with your thoughts......similar to congressmen voting strictly along party lines.

I, personally, have never experienced the "secretive" local government that you speak of. Although I've never dealt with city council, my experience with our city's administrators has been open and positive. I read where, in the past, two different council members logged onto this board and "attempted" to have dialog. Unfortunately, members of this board wouldn't allow it. I remember reading about something similar with a school board member. As I have stated before, you can’t effect change if your actions cause others not to take you seriously.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 9:46pm
GG, you cannot be taken seriously if you cannot substantiate your claim and opinion.,

You are simply wrong on your statement. Many think very highly of Chris Fiora and a Marcia Andrew. I have received personal emails from several city council members, and school board members (plural), and very civil. Mr. Smith is a disgrace to the city. Mr. Josh L, city council, sends many private emails on this board and has always been treated with respect and occasional humor. You really should get your facts clear.

The intent of this board of perhaps 50 will not, and cannot effect change. Its cathartic as city council and the mayor generally don't want public discourse, to have a forum to discuss objectively, the real Middletown, not the one of Alice In Wonderland at city hall. Call Doug Beam or Ann Mort. They'll initiate you in the Club if you are deemed worthy of their esteem. I find MMF highly ineffective and a head nodder for council's actions and desires. Keep probing, you'll get there.. 
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 10:36pm
acclaro,

Well written, but please be clear on what claim you want me to substantiate. I find it ironic that you ask me to substantiate anything. If you will recall, that is what I was asking of Ms. Viv when you felt compelled to defend her honor. I guess that its only necessary if you have a differing opinion from the rest of the sheep.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by greygoose greygoose wrote:

TonyB,

I appreciate your thoughts. I agree that everybody’s opinion is shaped by their personal life experiences but disagree that this precludes honest discussion & debate. Sadly, this board now reminds me of our overall political system. It loses all credibility when you must "step in line" with your thoughts......similar to congressmen voting strictly along party lines.

I, personally, have never experienced the "secretive" local government that you speak of. Although I've never dealt with city council, my experience with our city's administrators has been open and positive. I read where, in the past, two different council members logged onto this board and "attempted" to have dialog. Unfortunately, members of this board wouldn't allow it. I remember reading about something similar with a school board member. As I have stated before, you can’t effect change if your actions cause others not to take you seriously.
Goose,Myself and others would love to know where you come up with the things you spout off about?Our spineless one has Choosen not to comeant on this site cos they chose not to.They cant write anything on here that would most likely come back and bite them on there asses.As in the School board there our 2 that does come on and converse back and forth with the taxpayers.Like to know also have you been to any council meetings?Not talking about sitting in your family room either.Its as simple as this,the spinless ones that our suppose to listen to the taxpayers simply doesnt.Its awful funny how they say they dont have money to redo the streets here in Middletucky but they can come up with money for this land project.Oh how silly of me,it benefits who?A few that sits and works for the city.Just like the "GAS Lamps" that was forced on people that say they cant afford the 1,000.00 but again it passed cos it benifited a few.Like Kohler,the Mayor and his family.You need to catch up on some reading and discussions before you throw out people that arent allowed to post on here.
The reason I have the type so big is cos Im taking it you cant hear very good or chose to ignore things that are the truth so Im figuring your eye sight is also going.LOL
greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 11:00pm
Beware...... the sinister Mr. Adkins is going to move this city forward whether you like it or not.
You guys are "beating a dead horse".... get it? Dead horse.....

greygoose View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greygoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 11:09pm
LMAO,

Are these the sentences that you are referring to:

I read where, in the past, two different council members logged onto this board and "attempted" to have dialog. Unfortunately, members of this board wouldn't allow it. I remember reading about something similar with a school board member.

If you are stating that these statements are not truthful, I (unlike Ms. Viv) will be more than happy to look them back up and point you to them. Are these the statements that you are questioning?
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 11:45pm
greygoose,

Perhaps "honest" isn't the correct adjective to use in this situation. I think a more descriptive and accurate adjective would be "objective". Honesty conveys the sense of truthfulness without acknowledgement of personal bias or motive. Objective conveys the truthfulness and acknowledgement that bias and motives are also removed from the equation. The objective statement would be that city policies and actions have been to the benefit of the few at the expense of the many. The honest statement would be that I disagree with the policies and actions of the city.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2012 at 11:47pm

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2012 at 1:55am
No layoffs in city’s proposed 2013 budget plan

By Michael D. Pitman
Staff Writer
MIDDLETOWN —
City Council heard from several department heads Tuesday evening about the 2013 proposed budget, including Economic Development, the Division of Fire and the Community Revitalization Department.
The city’s proposed 2013 budget isn’t as dramatic as the budget approved for 2012.
This time last year council was looking to cut $3.7 million from the 2012 budget, which resulted in laying off five firefighters, and eliminating several vacant police and firefighting positions.
This year, no employee cuts will be needed, and only a slight dip — about $615,000 — into the city’s general fund reserves is needed to balance the 2013 budget, according to City Manager Judy Gilleland.
She called the budget “relatively good” given the current economic times. The city is starting the second of a two-year budget plan. The city experienced a significant reduction in income tax this year, as well as property tax and state revenues.
“The good news is that plan worked and we’re operating within our guidelines and we are on target for 2013,” Gilleland said.
The city will also need to shuffle some funds in order to receive more than $1 million from the Ohio Attorney General’s Moving Ohio Forward Grant program that will be used to demolish 50 city homes.
Council OK’d $250,000 to be paid this year for the grant program designed to demolish abandoned and nuisance buildings. That money will be reimbursed by the state in 2013 and put toward the required match. The remainder of the money will come from the city’s nuisance abatement fund.
Community Revitalization Director Doug Adkins proposed that council move $820,000 from the general fund — money designated to purchase a fire truck and for additional street paving — to a special fund designated to be a match for the Moving Ohio Forward Grant program.
But Adkins said this does not mean the city will lose out on a new fire engine or additional street paving in 2013.
He recommends City Council convert $600,000 the city has from an old U.S. Housing and Urban Development program to community development block grant funds. That money will be added to the existing $800,000 CDBG budget for 2013, where a fire truck and the additional street paving will be funded.
“It is ethical, it is legal, it’s perfectly acceptable,” Adkins said. “HUD is happy with it, the Ohio Attorney General is happy with it; they both have things they want us to do, this satisfies everybody.”
Middletown is projected to start the year with a balance of $6.4 million in its reserves.
It’s projected the city will collect nearly $29.3 million in revenues next year, but spend about $69,000 more than what they take in. That will force the city to dip into the reserve balance by about $615,000
Most of the city’s money comes from income taxes. The city’s expects to end 2012 collecting $19.9 million in income tax revenues, but plans to see a $612,628 increase for 2013. Income tax collection was above projections for 2011 by more than $630,000, but they are below the 2012 projections by $350,000.

Top revenue sources
The city’s general fund receives money from several sources. Here’s a breakdown of the top four revenue sources for the city:
  • Income tax: 39.91 percent
  • Charges for service: 15.72 percent
  • Public Safety levy: 11.69 percent
  • Property tax: 9.29 percent
Source: City of Middletown 2013 proposed budget
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2012 at 6:25am
"This year, no employee cuts will be needed"

NONE? NOT EVEN AN ASSIST. TO THE ASSIST. IN SOME DEPARTMENT? WE'RE AS LEAN AS WE CAN BE AND STILL OPERATE? (KINDA) THE CITY ANNOUNCES THIS BUT HIRES IN THE BACK DOOR PERIODICALLY.

"The city will also need to shuffle some funds"

SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM, THEY'VE BEEN DOING THIS FOR YEARS.

"Community Revitalization Director Doug Adkins proposed that council move $820,000 from the general fund — money designated to purchase a fire truck and for additional street paving — to a special fund designated to be a match for the Moving Ohio Forward Grant program"

AHH YES.....THE FREQUENTLY RAIDED GENERAL FUND WHERE WE PULL MONEY OUT LEFT AND RIGHT TO BUY OUR LITTLE SPECIAL AGENDA ITEMS.

FIRE TRUCK PURCHASE? ISN'T THIS SAFETY RELATED? THEY JUST TOUTED HOW IMPORTANT SAFETY WAS WITH THEIR LITTLE SAFETY LEVY. NOW THAT THEY GOT WHAT THEY WANT, GUESS SAFETY AIN'T IMPORTANT NOW. ADDITIONAL STREET PAVING? NEVER WAS IMPORTANT TO THE CITY LEADERS. HELL, LOOK AT THE STREETS.

He recommends City Council convert $600,000 the city has from an old U.S. Housing and Urban Development program to community development block grant funds. That money will be added to the existing $800,000 CDBG budget for 2013, where a fire truck and the additional street paving will be funded.

AND THERE YOU HAVE IT. VOODOO MONEY MANIPULATION. SHUFFLE THE PEANUT SHELLS ENOUGH AND YOU LOSE SIGHT OF THE PEA. CAN THEY LEGALLY TAKE FED MONEY DESTINED FOR HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT AND USE IT THROUGH "MONEY LAUNDERING" FOR OTHER PURPOSES?

“It is ethical, it is legal, it’s perfectly acceptable,” Adkins said. “HUD is happy with it, the Ohio Attorney General is happy with it; they both have things they want us to do, this satisfies everybody.”

WELL....GUESS THEY CAN. HELL, EVERYONE'S HAPPY WITH IT ACCORDING TO ADKINS. ONE HAPPY FAMILY ON THIS MONEY SHUFFLING. BETTER ASK OLD LESLIE LANDEN HIS LEGAL OPINION......JUST TO BE SAFE.

"Most of the city’s money comes from income taxes"

MORE SPECIFICALLY, THE WORKING PEOPLE, AT A MUCH GREATER PROPORTION THAN MOST CITIES. MOST CITIES OFFSET THIS BURDEN ON THE PEOPLE BY COLLECTING CORPORATE TAXES FROM COMPANIES WHO HAVE A HECK OF ALOT MORE MONEY THAN THE WORKING PEOPLE. BUT, BECAUSE THIS TOWN HAS WELL BELOW IT'S SHARE OF EMPLOYERS, THE PEOPLE CARRY THE TAX LOAD. LOOK FOR THE INEPT ONES TO JACK THE CITY INCOME TAX HIGHER ON US JUST LIKE THEY JACKED THE WATER AND SEWER RATES/PROPERTY TAXES UP. ANYTHING TO BLEED THE PEOPLE DRY IN LIEU OF GENERATING OPERATING MONEY THE RIGHT WAY--- THROUGH JOB CREATION.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2012 at 9:20am

I have been giving a great deal of thought to the recent post of Adam Lewis concerning posting negative things about City Hall.
    Mr Lewis with me is just pure frustration and the “Land Banking” issue is a perfect example of this problem. I saw a problem and I contacted city council members with my research of my concerns. One of the council members stated that I must have called the wrong state office.
    Well Mr Lewis just because I’m a peon with only three little grey cells does not mean that my concerns and research do not have value. Just because Mr Adkins or others at City Hall say it is so….does not make it so.
   Our city officials can not be allowed to stand before a TV camera and tell the public misleading facts about important subjects concerning our community and the spending of our tax dollars. 
   I'm happy to state that City Hall has now solved the problem. “It is ethical, it is legal, it’s perfectly acceptable,” Adkins said. “HUD is happy with it, the Ohio Attorney General is happy with it; they both have things they want us to do, this satisfies everybody.”

So needless to say I was a bit surprised Tuesday evening that Council Members didn’t seemed to understand where the money for the fire truck was being transferred from and why.
    Once again I would like to thank MUSA for providing the community with a forum so our concerns can be heard.
Vivian Moon

GreyGoose
   At the last council meeting Mr Adkins stood before the members and explained his plan of using HUD Funds as matching funding for the Land Banking Program.
    Over the next few days I did a little research on the subject matter and placed phone calls to several council members. Mr. Josh Laubach was the only council member that returned by phone call.
    I explained to Mr. Laubach that I had serious concerns about Mr. Adkins plan to use HUD Funds for the Land Banking Program. That transferring HUD Funds to the General Fund and then transferring and using those funds as the matching funds for the land banking is nothing short of Money Laundering. I provided Mr Laubach with the following reasons for why the legislation should be removed from the emergency agenda of the June 19, 2012 council meeting:

1.  The guidelines for the Moving Ohio Forward Grant Program clearly state that
     HUD funds can not be used as matching funds.
2.  Mr. Adkins has not filed an Amendment to the HUD 2012 Annual Action Plan
     stating this substantial change in the use of HUD funds and requesting HUD
     approval.
3.  This major amendment concerning HUD funds has not been before the
      public for
a 30 day Citizens Comment Period.
4.   HUD has not approved any changes to the HUD 2012 Annual Action Plan.

Mr. Laubach stated that “Mr. Adkins has assured us that this is legal”.
He said he was going to contact Mr. Adkins and get an answer to my concerns.
I requested proof that HUD had approved Mr. Adkins plan. I have not received a phone call or an email from Mr. Laubach addressing my concerns.
    So here we are Greygoose the day before the emergency legislation for
Moving Ohio Forward Grant Program in the amount of 1.3 million dollars goes before City Council and the City has not provided me with any information or proof that HUD has approved this plan.
    Yet you come on this blog and accuse me of just sitting around bad mouthing  City Hall for no reason other than I’m frustrated. NO REASON? Then you need to go back and read this message again.
    I’m not frustrated…I’m mad as hell as I sit and watch what is going on at City Hall every day of the week.  Sooo since you are such a close buddy to Mr. Adkins I'm sure you should be able to provide us with the letter showing HUD has approved this plan.  

http://www.cityofmiddletown.org/docs/commsvc/py2012aapdraft.pdf

June 27, 2012
Tuesday

Middletown Council Members

I’m requesting that the legislation for the approval of the Moving Ohio Forward Grant Program vote be canceled until you find another funding source for this program.

Last Tuesday Mr. Adkins stood before the council and stated that HUD and the AG’s Office had approved the use of HUD Funds as the match for the Moving Ohio Forward Grant Program.

I spoke with the AG’s Office today and they have no record of an email or a phone call from Mr. Adkins requesting approval of this current plan.
The AG’s Office stated that moving HUD Funds to the General Fund would NOT be acceptable under the grant guidelines because the AG’s Office would consider them as contaminated funds.

Mike DeWine
Ohio Attorney General
Moving Ohio Forward Grant Program
Demolition Guidelines
Page 7
”Federal funds, such as CDBG, NSP and HUD, are ineligible as matching funds unless the local government is in fiscal emergency as defined in Chapter 118 of the Revised Code.”

Vivian Moon

adamwlewis View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamwlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2012 at 10:32am
Vivian, I think you clearly misread/misunderstood the spirit behind my post; though it is your attitude that prompted my post to begin with. I'm not going to start debating politics, but what I'm tired of hearing all the time are "blanket" statements about Middletown, it's leaders, etc. This goes for national politics as well, but that's irrelevant to my post.

All I read and hear on here is how "everything" is wrong and how "no one" in the city government "ever" does anything right, etc. These blanket statements are asinine. My post was simply to point out that the city DOES do stuff right. Pointing out things you do not agree with is fine, but to continually use blanket statements to describe the city and it's officials just kills me and I think they deserve recognition and credit for all the things they do right.
Adam Lewis' Blog
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2012 at 10:45am
All I read and hear on here is how "everything" is wrong and how "no one" in the city government "ever" does anything right, etc. These blanket statements are asinine. My post was simply to point out that the city DOES do stuff right. Pointing out things you do not agree with is fine, but to continually use blanket statements to describe the city and it's officials just kills me and I think they deserve recognition and credit for all the things they do right.

Adam
I will try to do better in the future
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2012 at 11:17am
adam lewis-----"but what I'm tired of hearing all the time are "blanket" statements about Middletown, it's leaders, etc. This goes for national politics as well, ......."

adam lewis------"All I read and hear on here is how "everything" is wrong and how "no one" in the city government "ever" does anything right, etc. These blanket statements are asinine"

Adam, if I may interject into your conversation with Vivian......
I believe all of us who participate, could go back into the forum archives and pull out specific factual supportive data that would provide legitimate proof that what was stated was accurate, no matter what the subject matter. Participants such as Vivian, Mike Presta and other top data researchers usually provide some supportive evidence of their claims. Personally, I don't classify our posts as "blanket statements" nor are they asinine. I respectfully disagree. If they have been backed up with factual data, from a source such as the Journal, I fail to see where they could be construed as "asinine blanket statements"... That is, unless we all agree that the Journal does not offer factual content......which may be a distinct possibility. JMO
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2012 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

No layoffs in city’s proposed 2013 budget plan
It’s projected the city will collect nearly $29.3 million in revenues next year, but spend about $69,000 more than what they take in. That will force the city to dip into the reserve balance by about $615,000
Now I will admit that I have not been following city activities too closely the last few weeks, but can anyone explain to me why, when we spend $69,000 more than we take in, we must dip into the the rainy day fund for nearly NINE TIMES that amount??? Confused
Anyone???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamwlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2012 at 11:57am
VietVet,

I completely agree, and that's exactly what I said, pointing out specific things is fine, but I can find in 5 minutes probably 20-30 blanket statements from posters that say something to the extent that "city hall always" or "so and so never" etc. These terms "always" and "never" are what I call asinine. These terms are so finite and I just think everyone deserves credit when it is due.
Adam Lewis' Blog
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2012 at 12:22pm
adam lewis--- "I can find in 5 minutes probably 20-30 blanket statements from posters that say something to the extent that "city hall always" or "so and so never" etc. These terms "always" and "never" are what I call asinine"

Fair enough. Then perhaps the optimum word to use is not "always" or "never" but rather, "occasionally", "in some circumstances", "has, in the past" or "has a history of". Would that be more accurate? For me, when I'm posting, I don't think of it in that finite of terms as to frequency of infraction. Semantics perhaps? How about "city hall always APPEARS....." as in supposition form or making an assumption?
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamwlewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2012 at 12:31pm
Use whatever terms you feel appropriate, these are just my opinions. City hall does a lot and manages a lot that we tend to overlook, so it just bothers me that people think everything they do it negative.
Adam Lewis' Blog
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic