FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Renaming Barnitz Stadium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renaming Barnitz Stadium
    Posted: Mar 19 2013 at 7:20am
Journal story.....

Middletown group wants field named after former Middie great

It took Cris Carter 11 years after his illustrious professional career ended to be elected into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

He’ll have to wait a little longer to possibly have the field where he starred for Middletown High School to be named in his honor. MHS teacher Mark Kerns gave a passionate — and far longer than the allotted three minutes — plea for the Middletown Board of Education to name the Barnitz Stadium football field the Cris Carter Field

I LIKE THE INSERT "AND FAR LONGER THAN THE ALLOTTED THREE MINUTES".

Kerns said he’d like to have the field named as soon as possible. A few weeks ago, the court at Wade E. Miller Gym was named the Jerry Lucas Court, as was the court at Sunset Park.

AND YOU JUST ANSWERED YOUR OWN REQUEST KERNS. HOW ABOUT INSTEAD OF CHRIS CARTER STADIUM, MAKE IT BARNITZ STADIUM.....CHRIS CARTER FIELD?....JUST LIKE WADE E. MILLER GYM- JERRY LUCAS COURT. THAT LEAVES THE DOOR OPEN TO ADD ANY OTHER NOTIBLES TO THE LIST WITH LUCAS AND CARTER, BUT DOESN'T CHANGE THE NAME OF THE FACILITY.

“This is nothing but a big positive,” Kerns said.

Then he referenced Forbes magazine that several years ago named Middletown one of the “fastest dying towns” in the country

CRAP, NOT SUPPOSE TO MENTION THE FASTEST DYING CITY THING KERNS.

Kerns said Middletown is experiencing a 360-degree turnaround. Then he added: “This can be the exclamation point that shows a total reversal. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

A TAD BIT OF AN EMBELLISHMENT AND OPTIMISTIC VIEW KERNS. NOT YET SON. MAYBE DOWN THE ROAD.

Kerns predicts the May 7 event will be the “biggest day this city has ever had.”

NO, THE BIGGEST DAY THE CITY WILL HAVE WILL BE WHEN WE SEE NEW JOBS AND PEOPLE HAVING HOPE AND THE CITY PROGRESSING. THAT IS WHAT IS IMPORTANT. FOCUS KERNS, FOCUS.

“He the most transformed person I know,” Kerns aid. “He’s totally different person since he left Middletown.”

HMMM....A DIFFERENT PERSON SINCE HE LEFT MIDDLETOWN.

He called the Carters, who lived in People’s Place Apartments, under the shadows of Barnitz Stadium, “the most resilient family” he ever met

NEED TO MEET MORE PEOPLE. ALOT OF "RESILIENT" PEOPLE WHO HAVE (ARE) DEALING WITH SETBACKS EACH AND EVERY DAY.

“They absolutely love Middletown,” said Kerns

SOME OF US LOVE THE TOWN AS MUCH AS THE CARTERS. JUST DON'T AGREE WITH THE WAY THINGS ARE GOING RIGHT NOW.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2013 at 8:27am
Doesn't a 360 degree turn bring you back to where you started? Shouldn't it be a 180 degree turn that sends you in the opposite direction?

Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2013 at 9:36am
The request is to name the field the Cris Carter Field at Barnitz Stadium. They did not ask to rename the stadium.
Miss Kitty View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Kitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2013 at 10:22am
What has Mr Carter done for Middletown? I know he's pro-football star but has he given anything back to Middletown? Just curious.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2013 at 10:53am
Kitty,

I would assume that part of these discussions with the Carters include an understanding that he will be doing something for the school -- perhaps funding this program or that program, new equipment, new astroturf, a new team bus, who knows.  And I'm guessing that expense will be rather large.  So don't worry, Mr. Carter's generosity will be evident.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2013 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

The request is to name the field the Cris Carter Field at Barnitz Stadium. They did not ask to rename the stadium.

You are correct Ms. Andrew. My mistake.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2013 at 5:12pm
It's not Barnitz Stadium, it's Barnitz Field Stadium.  Has always been Barnitz Field Stadium.  It's unfortunate people do not even know the name and repeat it incorrectly so much that doing a Google search actually pulled up the incorrect name.  In fact, most people from Middletown refer to it as "Barnitz Field".  It might have something to do with the fancy entrance the Barnitz family had erected along South Main.  Did the Barnitz family fund the whole venue when it was built?  Does anyone know why it is named after them if they didn't fund it or at least the majority of it?  I'm against changing the name.  Find something else to name after Cris Carter.  I don't get all of this stripping away of heritage to feed egos.  If he wants his name on something just name the scoreboard after him.  This way his name can be lit up in bright lights for all to see every weekend.  That's what this is really all about isn't it? 

Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2013 at 5:15pm
I just read on the library site that the land was donated to the school by the Barnitz family.  Unless Cris Carter can top that one, his name doesn't belong on the field.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2013 at 8:23pm
In fairness, Cris Carter did not ask for any of this, and has never asked for anything locally.
His family never had it easy around here, despite their athletic success

When the bball went to Fla.this season, he attended the games and picked up the tab for not only the players and coaches, but for their parents and all of the locals also.

The guy struggled early on like many of us did when youngwer, not always making the best decisions.
He seems to have made his life right, and was spectacular as an athlete
Pretty much all the guy can do at this point

This up-coming event will feature 2 gold medal winning Olympians
A member of the NBA hall of fame and a member of the NFL hall of fame
Pretty impressive for Middietown imo

Barnitz Stadium will always be Barnitz Stadium to me
The field is mush and needs to be replaced
It was promised to be switched to artificial, and that promise has not been kept
Artificial would favor our team's speed, and prevent many football injuries over what we have now

jmo

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2013 at 8:52pm

How about if there was a donation to tear down about a block of housing around the stadium? That might be the best gift of all!  Another idea would be to fund a tutoring/career development program for these Middie athletes.  So many in town play football or hoops as if that was their meal ticket and yet won't grasp that they will virtually all have to make their living doing something other than sports.

Let's just celebrate what little claim to fame we have around here.  No reason to denigrate Carter for what he may have done as a teen or maturing young man.   And let's not hear anymore from all the bitter residents sitting around with their hand out think every successful person "owes" them and the town something. 
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2013 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Rhodes Rhodes wrote:

It's not Barnitz Stadium, it's Barnitz Field Stadium.  Has always been Barnitz Field Stadium.  It's unfortunate people do not even know the name and repeat it incorrectly so much that doing a Google search actually pulled up the incorrect name.  In fact, most people from Middletown refer to it as "Barnitz Field".  It might have something to do with the fancy entrance the Barnitz family had erected along South Main.  Did the Barnitz family fund the whole venue when it was built?  Does anyone know why it is named after them if they didn't fund it or at least the majority of it?  I'm against changing the name.  Find something else to name after Cris Carter.  I don't get all of this stripping away of heritage to feed egos.  If he wants his name on something just name the scoreboard after him.  This way his name can be lit up in bright lights for all to see every weekend.  That's what this is really all about isn't it? 

Thumbs UpNever understood why they changed the name of the rec center. Also they want to change the basketball court. Im a good citizen name something after me.Wink
Chris was a hell of a player cant take that away from him.But the Barnitz did donate the field.
Miss Kitty View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Kitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Neil Barille Neil Barille wrote:

Kitty,

I would assume that part of these discussions with the Carters include an understanding that he will be doing something for the school -- perhaps funding this program or that program, new equipment, new astroturf, a new team bus, who knows.  And I'm guessing that expense will be rather large.  So don't worry, Mr. Carter's generosity will be evident.

Thanks Neil. Do you have any inside scoop on the subject? I think it would be great to have a Mr Carter help in any way.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 10:34am
I don't think that anything of the sort is expected.
Especially on that large scale. I believe that Atrium has committed to turfing the field
(Don't hold ME to that).

No strings to this honor--no promise on a name change(for the field only).

Lucas, Carter, Harrison--sincere deserved congratulations with no strings attached.
For athletic achievement only
What they do in their own us entirely up to them, and should be
Appreciated and not expected or demanded

Jmo
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 6:30pm
Rhodes, thank you for the information and photo. I don't usually enter from Main Street side, so was not aware of the Barnitz Field sign and name. We will look into it. The proposal may need to be tweaked.

This is one reason why we did not approve the request on the spot Monday night. Good practice to check out for any unknown complications.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2013 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

Rhodes, thank you for the information and photo. I don't usually enter from Main Street side, so was not aware of the Barnitz Field sign and name. We will look into it. The proposal may need to be tweaked.

This is one reason why we did not approve the request on the spot Monday night. Good practice to check out for any unknown complications.

Ms.Andrew. The Barnitz Field entryway, in the old picture, on S. Main St. is no longer there. The arches and sign were knocked down years ago by a band bus that backed into the arch. Did enough damage to warrant tearing the whole thing down.
AKBobby View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKBobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2013 at 9:35am
Never met Mr Carter, but I disagree with naming a field after someone who is still around. See Joe Paterno.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic