Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, April 25, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HUD to Mayor Larry Mulligan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HUD to Mayor Larry Mulligan
    Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 2:25pm
NEWS FLASH!
HUD has sent a certified letter to Mayor Larry Mulligan dated 5-31-2013
HUD will be doing a complete invesigation of the Section 8 Program from July 16, 2013 to July 18, 2013
The do-do is getting ready to hit the fan at City Hall
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 2:47pm
We are going to need hard hats and coveralls, no telling how far it may splatter
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 2:53pm
Lyrics to the old song " I Fought The Law"......

Breakin' rocks in the hot sun
I fought the law and the law won (twice)
I needed money 'cause I had none

I left my baby and it feels so bad
Guess my race is run
She's the best girl that I ever had
I fought the law and the law won
I fought the law and the

Robbin' people with a six-gun
I miss my baby and i miss my fun,

I miss my baby and i feel so sad
I guess my race is run
She's the best girl that I ever had
I fought the law and the law won
I fought the law and the

I fought the law and the law won (7 times

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 4:09pm
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 4:27pm
OK, Earth to city council: Now will you ask guestions, don't follow blindly, get answers. It appears ALL your butts are on the line.You ARE allowed to say NO to MS.JUDY. It's time you start doing that,it is a little late now because she has already lead you down the Primrose Path.Don't let the path go any further.Let her retire,for the city's sake.Don't take "I'll get back to you"as an answer.TRY real hard to think on your own.
Libertarian View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libertarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 4:40pm
It seems the time is now for Mr. Akins to back-up so many of his previous proclamations about Section 8 plus HUD.  It will prove interesting how his "unsurpassed legal acumen" stands up against HUD rules, regulations and policies.  Any guesses what the upcoming monitoring visit may uncover?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2013 at 4:07am
Posted: 6:03 p.m. Thursday, June 6, 2013
MIDDLETOWN

HUD to conduct Civil Rights review on city’s Section 8 program

By Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

The city’s public housing authority has been selected for an on-site three-day Civil Rights Compliance Review by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

HUD, the Office of Fair and Equal Opportunity, and Columbus Fair Housing Center chose the Middletown Public Housing Agency for the review, which will take place from July 16 to July 18 and will focus on the agency’s Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program. City officials received a 6-page letter from HUD on Thursday notifying them of the on-site visit.

Among other things, the review will determine if the city is complying with the nondiscrimination requirements of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and implementing regulations of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

The review will cover the city’s administration of the Section 8 program, which the city is being requested to prepare documents pertaining to the program, and compile census, program and demographic data.

The HUD letter, dated May 31, does not reference the city’s plan to reduce its 1,662 Section 8 vouchers by 1,008 over the next four to five years. The Middletown Public Housing Authority, which consists of the seven-member City Council, voted 6-1 on Oct. 16 to support the plan.

The city in February sent a letter saying it will not back away from its decision to cut the vouchers unless HUD could show the city was violating any statutes or regulations by doing so. HUD was expected to provide the city with a response sometime this month.

HUD spokeswoman Donna White told The Journal on Thursday, “We are still working on that (response).”

processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2013 at 1:52pm
It appears to me that HUD was unable to develop an appropriate response to the city regarding the city's plan to reduce the number of vouchers and instead has resorted to intimidation and bullying to try and get their way.  I don't agree with much the city does, but do agree that the social experiment with section 8 vouchers has to go away.  It has been a disaster for Middletown and all of her citizens.  My only disappointment is that the city has agreed to keep 600 or so vouchers.  I would have preferred that they eliminate ALL of them.  I hope that the council and city administration hold firm to the voucher reduction.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2013 at 3:54pm

Processor - It appears to me that HUD was unable to develop an appropriate response to the city regarding the city's plan to reduce the number of vouchers and instead has resorted to intimidation and bullying to try and get their way. 
Processor,
Many years ago City Hall requested an increase in Section 8 vouchers and signed a contract with HU
D. City Hall continued to request an increase in Section 8 voucher over a five year time period. HUD did not force any vouchers on the City of Middletown.
Now City Hall does not want to honor the terms of the HUD contract.  
City Hall has become the bully and has caused undue hardships to the tenants and the landlords of this program.

I don't agree with much the city does, but do agree that the social experiment with section 8 vouchers has to go away.  It has been a disaster for Middletown and all of her citizens.
Section 8 is NOT some new social experiment; it was established in the 1960’s. City Hall was well aware of all aspects of this program and City Hall decided to increase the vouchers anyway because they wanted all that free government money. They have now wasted all the HUD money that should have been used in the areas of greatest need and we can see the results of what has happened to Middletown. The current condition of our city was not caused by HUD…it was caused by the leadership of our city.

My only disappointment is that the city has agreed to keep 600 or so vouchers.  I would have preferred that they eliminate ALL of them. 
Federal Law requires that all cities have a certain number of Section 8 Housing Units
I hope that the council and city administration hold firm to the voucher reduction.
I do not believe that HUD will reduce the number of vouchers however I do believe that they will transfer the entire Section 8 Program over to Butler County.

processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2013 at 5:12pm
Vivian - Have you seen the HUD contract with the city?  If it was many years ago then it may have expired.  I wonder though what the city has agreed to recently though in order to receive the HUD money.

Regarding wasting the HUD money - when have you ever seen government, on any level, be successful and spend money wisely.  I don't think that I have.  They are not developers, they don't have their own money at stake and they don't have to financially suffer the consequences of poor decisions.

Section 8 is a social experiment - just not a recent one.  The idea was to eliminate housing projects and disperse the needy throughout a city in hopes that others' good habits would rub off on them.  The problem is that the opposite has occurred and/or they've turned an entire city into a housing project.  Middletown is not the only city in the US who is trying to reduce or eliminate section 8 for the same reasons that many in Middletown want to.  The city leaders who agreed to increase the section 8 in order to get more federal money sure have set the city up for failure.  I'm glad that the current leadership wants to work hard to reverse this disastrous course.

I'm not an attorney, but my understanding is that HUD can't constitutionally set rules for cities.  Any Federal law that purports to do that is a violation.  What the Fed's have done is dangle money in front of local governments on the condition that the locals conform to their rules.  The Fed's only stroke is the agreements and the threat of removing the money...which may not be a bad thing for Middletown.

Transferring the vouchers from Middletown to Butler county won't solve the issue of Middletown disproportionally having too many vouchers. 
Libertarian View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libertarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 07 2013 at 6:30pm
How interesting that HUD's upcoming assessment of the S8 program here will be spearheaded primarily by Fair Housing & Equal Opportunity personnel.  And then, there's something noteworthy that HUD Community Planning & Development staff is involved too.  Could it be that the latter folks will assess the composition/effectiveness of CDBG/HOME program activities within impacted lower-income neighborhoods?  Is there validity that federal taxpayer dollars are being spent without much regard for cost/benefit considerations?  It will be interesting.  Sadly, the failed policies and plans of the past decade has expedited the decline of our city.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 12:07am
During this process, perhaps someone will point out to HUD that the Middletown Public Housing Authority Board and the Middletown City Council are both composed of exactly the same seven people!!! 
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 1:51am
Obama justice being dealt here, this is retribution for denying these poor down trodden people their entitlement to cheap rent after all they may actually have to get a job and work if they take their freebies away. Civil rights compliant ? Really ? Sounds like a crooked move by a crooked regime in Washington DC just like the recent IRS scandals targeting conservative groups.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 6:58am
Posted: 5:39 p.m. Friday, June 7, 2013
MIDDLETOWN

Mayor calls Section 8 inquiry ‘relatively straight forward’

By Michael D. Pitman

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

Middletown officials weren’t too worried Friday about the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s plan to conduct an on-site Civil Rights compliance review of the city’s subsidized housing program next month.

And they weren’t ready to conclude that the review is related to the Middletown Public Housing Authority’s proposal to cut its 1,662 Section 8 housing choice vouchers by 1,008 over the next four to five years.

“It’s hard to say,” Mayor Larry Mulligan said of the reasons for the review. “They certainly didn’t refer to it (the proposed voucher cuts). I wouldn’t want to jump to any conclusions of what’s driving it.”

City officials received a 6-page letter from HUD on Thursday informing them of the three-day inspection, which will take place July 16-18. The review will focus on Middletown’s Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program to ensure it is not discriminating against participants or potential participants.

“The review will cover the city’s administration of the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program and will consist of document review and interviews,” wrote Carolyn Murphy, director of HUD’s Columbus Fair Housing Center.

The letter outlined 20 pieces of information, data and materials that reviewers will need from the city by June 27. The review will determine if the city is complying with the nondiscrimination requirements of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and implementing regulations of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, according to Murphy.

City Manager Judy Gilleland declined to comment on the letter, saying, “We are reviewing it and will have comments in the next several days.”

Mulligan said the situation seems to be “relatively straight forward in terms of an examination or an audit.”

“It didn’t necessarily list if there were any issues or violations, so I’d chalk it up to routine,” he said.

Murphy could not be reached for comment Friday.

HUD spokeswoman Donna White told The Middletown Journal this week they are “still working on” a response to the city’s plan to cut vouchers.

The MPHA, which consists of the seven-member City Council, voted 6-1 on Oct. 16, to support the plan to reduce vouchers. When HUD requested the city reconsider and fill 95 percent of its vouchers, city officials told the federal agency they would not back away from their plan unless HUD could show the city was violating any statutes or regulations.

The public housing agency is eliminating the vouchers because city officials say Middletown is over-saturated with subsidized housing that’s taxing city services, generating crime and negatively impacting the city’s image. The city also has the highest rate of total subsidized housing in the state at 9.7 percent. The city does not have control over other types of subsidized housing.

According summary of the October 2012 plan: “After reviewing the city as a whole, and housing more specifically, the report analyzes the MPHA Section 8 program as it fits into our various housing policies, overall city goals, and strategic plans. The report ultimately recommends that in order to best achieve all city goals and to provide the most core city services to all city residents, the city of Middletown should not permit its subsidized housing stock to exceed 10 percent of total available housing.”

The report concludes the city can only support 654 Section 8 vouchers within the public housing agency’s program and any further saturation would “cross a tipping point where the additional subsidized housing creates more problems than benefits.”

Mulligan doesn’t believe there will be any type of findings that will result from the review.

“I think we run a good program and it comes down to a balance we’re trying to strike and manage our program that works well for the participants as well as the city,” he said.

Unmatched coverage
The Middletown Journal has been following Middletown’s stance on its Section 8 program since it presented its plan to reduce the program in October. We will continue to stay on top of it giving you the latest information first.

Requested data
The U.S. Department of Urban Development is asking the city provide several pieces of information, data or materials in preparation of its Civil Rights compliance review of Middletown’s Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program from July 16 to July 18. Here are some highlights of HUD’s request:

• Provide copies of the official minutes from each and every Middletown Public Housing Agency meetings since Jan. 1, 2010;
  • Provide a list of landlords approved for the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program since Jan. 1, 2010, including landlord contact and approved property addresses;
  • Provide the name, race and ethnicity of all Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher holders;
  • Indicate the location of all Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher holders by race, address and census tract;
  • Provide a demographic map indicating the distribution of all Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher holders on Jan. 1, 2009, Jan. 1, 2010, Jan. 1, 2011 and Jan. 1, 2012;
  • The actions the MPHA has taken to overcome identified impediments during calendar years 2010, 2011, 2012, and to the present’ and
  • Explain how MPHA issue Non-Elderly Disabled vouchers.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 10:13am
Are some of you missing the big picture here. This may be our opportunity to get rid of city council,don't rally around them, THROW THEM OUT!!!!
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 11:24am
Is it true that the computers at Middletown City Hall are going to crash before the HUD investigation?
Paul Nagy
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 1:39pm
Would'nt that be a laugh
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 1:59pm
Don't you love how the "Executive Director"(Ms. Judy) has no comment at this time.She knows her butt is in the sling too. Can't wait to hear this "spin".
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 2:12pm
Is it true that all of the paper shredders at City Hall have all worn out and emergency legislation is being proposed to obtain the largest and fastest shredder in the State of Ohio?
      Paul Nagy
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 2:27pm
Just think how much paper is going to be needed to meet the requested imformation, everything has to be in TRIPLICATE. WOW, somebody needs to call Staples right away.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 3:38pm
Vivian Moon: Federal Law requires that all cities have a certain number of Section 8 Housing Units
Vivian, can please provide me with a copy of the federal law for this requirement??
Over The Hill, Please check one of the below...

1) I am a Section 8 Recipient
2) I am a Section 8 Landlord
3) I hate Middletown leadership so badly that no matter what they do I can not stand them
PacmanCool
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 5:04pm
Pacman,I have some good friends that do have rentals so I am more inclined to believe them when I ask them guestions.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 6:12pm

Pacman
You can call Kyle Fuchs at City Hall and he should be able to send you a copy the local HUD federal housing requirements for this area.
All of these federal housing laws were part of President Johnson's "War on Poverty" in the late 1960's.
I was involved in building many of these HUD multi-complex housing units in the tri-state area. I believe that the Section 8 Program was part of the "Working Poor"  since the rent is on a sliding scale to the tenants income and family size.  

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 9:42pm

Check Fairfield Ohio ,back in the mid 90s I was told by a person in the know that this city didn't have a single section 8 housing unit.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 6:18pm
Vivian Moon: Federal Law requires that all cities have a certain number of Section 8 Housing Units
Vivian, can please provide me with a copy of the federal law for this requirement??  - 

Vivian, you failed to answer my question.  You stated all cities must have a certain number of section 8 housing.  Your statement that ALL CITIES must have section 8 is incorrect.  last time I checked Kettering had 78 vouchers, Monroe had 0.  The fact that the vouchers are mobile, such as in Butler County, leaves Middletown and Hamilton the main cities baring the brunt of this program.

I think perhaps you may still be living in the 60's with good 'ole President Johnson. 

PacmanCool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic