Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, April 20, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FREE LUNCH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FREE LUNCH
    Posted: Jun 26 2013 at 8:49am
Posted: 8:00 a.m. Wednesday, June 26, 2013

District providing free meals next year

All Middletown students to get two free meals at school.

By Hannah Poturalski

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN —

A change to Middletown’s school lunch program will have students eating better and families saving more money next fall.

The Middletown City School District is expanding its involvement in the National School Lunch Program to add a Community Eligibility Option — meaning all 6,800 students will have the option for a free breakfast and free lunch next fall, according to George Long, business manager.

The percentage of Middletown City Schools students receiving free- or reduced-price lunches has continued to rise in the last decade. It went from 41 percent a decade ago to 76 percent this year, up 2 percent from 2012.

Long said in May he was approached by staff from Sodexo, the district’s contracted food services company, with the possibility of participating in the Community Eligibility Option (CEO). The state of Ohio just recently became eligible for the change in federal legislation that occurred in 2010.

“All our students would have the opportunity to receive a nutritious lunch everyday,” Long said. “All students would qualify at the same level, removing a lot of the stigma we’ve seen in the past.”

Participating districts must have at least 40 percent of students “identified” through assistance programs such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or other identifiers such as being homeless, according to Ohio Department of Education.

Long said there would be no negative impacts to the district’s budget with providing more free lunches, but in fact, the district would see an increase of about $30,000 per month in federal tax dollars through reimbursements for each lunch.

“We will have more money to work with as it relates to the amount and quality of food we put on those trays,” Long said. “Fresh fruits and vegetables are the direction we want our students focusing on. We want them eating more nutritiously.”

The Middletown district in April served 79,614 free or reduced lunches. In the same month, about 14,490 paid lunches were served, according to the district.

Middletown’s government reimbursement is $2.88 per free lunch; $2.48 per reduced lunch; and only $0.29 for each paid lunch.

Long said as a result of the free lunches for all students, the district will no longer have to collect about $20,000 in student fees for school supplies. Those school fees will disappear because they were previously based on the number of students getting a free or reduced lunch.

With the additional $30,000 per month in federal reimbursements, Middletown’s food services will be able to purchase higher quality foods and more fresh fruits and vegetables, including green peppers and kiwi fruit, said Cindy DeZarn, Sodexo general manager. The district also has the goal of expanding its Future Chefs contest to the middle and high schools next year.

“I really like the idea of having more offerings and opportunities for fresh fruits and vegetables,” said Katie McNeil, school board member.

Susie Peil, of Middletown, said her two sons in the district — a sixth grader and ninth grader — exclusively eat the school lunches and will pay for extra snacks. She said it amounts to $100 per month, about $900 per year, for her two growing boys to eat at school.

“This is a good opportunity for the school community and a number of students in the school system,” Peil said. “I would be interested to know what’s happening to the standardized test scores,” with more students taking a breakfast and lunch.

Peil said her sons usually always eat breakfast at home but will also eat the additional breakfast items at school.

“There are some things they like more than others; it’s hard to fill them up,” Peil said. “It’s the social thing … they eat the breakfast because it’s there and provided and everyone in the class is eating it.”

Peil said she will likely use the money saved from lunches to provide “extra educational pursuits” or music lessons for her children.

DeAnna Shores, school board member, said she hopes parents will take an active role in providing more fruits and vegetables to their children. She said it can be costly to provide all the proper fruits and vegetables needed each day, but just a couple times each week would help.

“We have to be supported by the households; so when (the kids) enjoy those foods at school, to be able to go home and impart that education and say I really like kiwi and want that green fruit,” Shores said.

Long said the new Community Eligibility Option has a four-year guarantee for participating school districts. If the federal program isn’t renewed after four years, families would have to go back to paying.

“This is another barrier to improve learning that can be removed,” Long said.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2013 at 9:57am
A sign of the times and yet more reliance on the taxpayer through fed dollars to provide now for EVERYONE's kids, no matter what the income level. WE THE PEOPLE, will now pay even more so that .......

Susie Peil, of Middletown, said her two sons in the district — a sixth grader and ninth grader — exclusively eat the school lunches and will pay for extra snacks. She said it amounts to $100 per month, about $900 per year, for her two growing boys to eat at school.

“This is a good opportunity for the school community and a number of students in the school system,” Peil said. “I would be interested to know what’s happening to the standardized test scores,” with more students taking a breakfast and lunch.

Peil said her sons usually always eat breakfast at home but will also eat the additional breakfast items at school. TWO BREAKFASTS MS. PEIL?

“There are some things they like more than others; it’s hard to fill them up,” Peil said. “It’s the social thing … they eat the breakfast because it’s there and provided and everyone in the class is eating it.”

Peil said she will likely use the money saved from lunches to provide “extra educational pursuits” or music lessons for her children

MS. PEIL CAN SEND HER KIDS TO MUSIC LESSONS WITH THE MONEY SHE WILL SAVE ON BEHALF OF THE TAXPAYER. DOES THIS SEEM A TAD BIT "OUT OF KILTER" TO ANY OF YOU? DOES MS. PEIL EVEN REALIZE THAT WE ARE ALL PAYING TO FEED HER KIDS (TWICE) WHILE FREEING UP HER MONEY TO DO OTHER THINGS? A FORM OF WELFARE ISN'T IT?

WHEN WILL THE BLEEDING OF THE TAXPAYER'S WALLET STOP WHEN IT COMES TO THE SUBJECT OF FINANCING THE SCHOOLS? WE HAVE ALWAYS PAID FOR THE EDUCATIONAL PART OF THE SCHOOLS.....NOW WE ARE PAYING FOR ALL THE SOCIAL/PARENT RESPONSIBILITY PARTS TOO? WHY? KINDA ADDS TO THE WEAKENING OF SOCIETY THROUGH MORE DEPENDENCE DOESN'T IT?.....OR SHOULD I BE THINKING IN TERMS OF KINDER/GENTLER/PROVIDE EVERYTHING FOR CERTAIN PEOPLE HERE?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2013 at 3:24pm
Agreed Vet. It is shocking how willing our elected reps are to throw billions of dollars for these food programs. Aren't parents at all ashamed of, apparently, not being able to feed their own children? These summer feeding programs are ridiculous too. Heck, a lot of people are getting free health card, Section 8 apartment, welfare, food stamps, etc. What do they actually have to buy? We have a large swath of our country who are dependent for everything and feel insulted when asked to earn their own way. And they will teach the same to their children too.

If you have two parents in most households (OK, most not married of oucrse) and each person works 40 hours a week for $10/hour -- that isn't enough to feed yourselves? Maybe I'm assuming too much with the 40 hour thing...
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2013 at 10:53am

Stanky
    First I would like to say that I do not want any child in this country to go to bed hungry.
    Over the years I have mentored several young families on the Food Stamp Program. We all seem to assume that these families know how to wisely use the government money and food stamps that they receive each month. We all assume that the young woman knows how to make a pot of soup with what she has in the pantry to keep her family from being hungry.
You would be shocked to know how ill prepared many of these young mothers are when it comes to planning and feeding their families over a 30 day period.
    It took me about two years of taking them to the grocery every week, teaching them how to plan meals and teaching them to cook before they were able to feed their family with the amount that they received in food stamps.
    I believe more education is needed before we can solve the hunger problem in this country.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2013 at 11:15am
It is my opinion the high number of students receiving free meals provides the precise crux for the audit by HUD associated with discriminatory practices in Middletown for those entitled to section 8 benefits. The question which will answered by mid July during their audit will be, if > 70% of students are receiving free meals, > than 65% of Middletown residents in poverty, is Middletown discriminating against those whom are entitled to receive section 8 benefits, with such staggering numbers in the majority, and yet, the Mulligan crew, Mort, others on council, want the number to decline.

I predict the outcome from the audit will reflect discrimination, and the % of students receiving free meals is a direct correlation with poverty supporting section 8 vouchers. The outcome for council, will not be a positive outcome, in contradiction to Larry Mulligan, Les Landen, others, spirited "business as usual" mindset.

What this council has done in destroying Middletown is unconscionable. The city is not being revitalized; it is dying. Poverty is reflected in the free meal %, and those numbers will be the very basis for which HUD will hammer council and the city of Middletown for discrimination shortly.

Stay tuned.    
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2013 at 12:24pm

It is my opinion the high number of students receiving free meals provides the precise crux for the audit by HUD associated with discriminatory practices in Middletown for those entitled to section 8 benefits. The question which will answered by mid July during their audit will be, if > 70% of students are receiving free meals, > than 65% of Middletown residents in poverty, is Middletown discriminating against those whom are entitled to receive section 8 benefits, with such staggering numbers in the majority, and yet, the Mulligan crew, Mort, others on council, want the number to decline.
Acclaro
The first point is 10 years ago the City Council requested an increase in Section 8 vouchers.
In answer to the 96 page report
 HUD clearly stated that the Section 8 Program DID NOT cause the poverty problems in Middletown but was put in place to help solve the housing of the poor in this community. HUD also stated in this same report that they WOULD NOT consider reducing the number of Section 8 Voucher because 1) Middletown had a waiting list 2) the need was too great.
As you have stated all the numbers above prove the high poverty level in
Middletown and therefore HUD will NOT reduce the number of vouchers.
When Mr. Adkins reduced the number of Section 8 vouchers without just cause, he denied governmental housing to a family that qualified …this is the Civil Rights violation.

I predict the outcome from the audit will reflect discrimination, and the % of students receiving free meals is a direct correlation with poverty supporting section 8 vouchers. The outcome for council, will not be a positive outcome, in contradiction to Larry Mulligan, Les Landen, others, spirited "business as usual" mindset.
City Hall has openly stated on numerous occasions that they want all these poor people out of Middletown.

What this council has done in destroying
Middletown is unconscionable. The city is not being revitalized; it is dying. Poverty is reflected in the free meal %, and those numbers will be the very basis for which HUD will hammer council and the city of Middletown for discrimination shortly.
Mr Adkins told council members not to worry because it would take several years for HUD to remove them from the Section 8 Program. That City Hall could stop any actions against them at any time……….Really?
If HUD can prove civil rights violation and or discrimination in the Section 8 Program I believe they will completely shut down the Section 8 Program in
Middletown within a 30 day period. No more MPHA and all the vouchers will transfer to Butler County…and that will be the end of this story.

Stay tuned.    

LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2013 at 12:58pm
Myself I would love to see them take it away from are "SPINELESS ONES". Only thing they see is dollar signs and doesnt give a woot about the people.The almighty dollar is there only concern.More money to spend on there dream of a getting downtown moving in a direction which we all no isn't visible.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2013 at 1:23pm
Vivian, will you be happy when this town is left with 1660 vouchers and continues to remain both the preferred destination of all poor in the tri-state area as well as a toxic city as far as reputation and desirability?  How do you think this increasingly poor town is supposed to support, via public services, not to mention city infrastructure and roads, a populace that is either old/retired or poor?  Do you think that the city hall you so despise has a magic pot of gold with which to take care of all of society's "takers" that we house, repair roads, and encourage new business development and otherwise making this town more attractive in reputation?

over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2013 at 1:59pm
City council does not have the B---s to fire Judy or to admit they may have made a mistake, so they continue down the same path pretending everything is just fine and some how "snowing" everyone else.IMO
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2013 at 2:28pm

Vivian, will you be happy when this town is left with 1660 vouchers and continues to remain both the preferred destination of all poor in the tri-state area as well as a toxic city as far as reputation and desirability? 
Bill
I was not on City Council and I did not vote 4 years in a row for the increase of Section 8 Vouchers to the current number of 1662. HUD did not force additional Section 8 voucher on the City of Middletown. City Council requested, voted and approved the increase of Section 8 vouchers.

How do you think this increasingly poor town is supposed to support, via public services, not to mention city infrastructure and roads, a populace that is either old/retired or poor? 
Over the years why haven’t you or any other person at City Hall questioned those involved in the increase of the Section 8 vouchers these very same questions?

Do you think that the city hall you so despise has a magic pot of gold with which to take care of all of society's "takers" that we house, repair roads, and encourage new business development and otherwise making this town more attractive in reputation?
Bill, it is my opinion that City Hall made a terrible decision by increasing Section 8 vouchers so they could get all that free government money. Now City Hall wants to change the rules of the game and wants to run all the poor people out of town. Sometimes you just can’t go back and un-ring the bell and solve the problems that was created by City Hall.
It is also my opinion that City Hall will not win this fight against HUD.

I would also like to add that if HUD finds that any veteran or disabled person was denied housing during Mr. Adkins reduction period this case will go to an entirely different level.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2013 at 3:18pm
Vivian's information has to cause just a tad bit of anger......some excerpts:

In answer to the 96 page report HUD clearly stated that the Section 8 Program DID NOT cause the poverty problems in Middletown but was put in place to help solve the housing of the poor in this community. HUD also stated in this same report that they WOULD NOT consider reducing the number of Section 8 Voucher because 1) Middletown had a waiting list 2) the need was too great.
As you have stated all the numbers above prove the high poverty level in Middletown and therefore HUD will NOT reduce the number of vouchers

The first point is 10 years ago the City Council requested an increase in Section 8 vouchers

ALL COUNCIL MEMBERS WHO DID THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN RUN OUT OF TOWN. ONE OF THE MANY THINGS THEY HAVE DONE TO RUIN THIS TOWN.

SO HUD, IN THEIR INFINITE WISDOM, IS WILLING TO ABSOLUTELY BRING MIDDLETOWN TO IT'S KNEES AND RUIN A ONCE DECENT MIDDLE CLASS TOWN THROUGH LOW INCOME HAND OUT TYPE PEOPLE BECAUSE THE "NEED IS TOO GREAT"? HORSECRAP HUD! YOU DON'T TOTALLY DEVASTATE A CITY BECAUSE IT IS CONVENIENT TO PLACE ALL THE POVERTY IN ONE PLACE, SATURATING THE TOWN AND BREAKING IT'S BACK WITH CRIME AND SOCIAL DISEASE.

AND, INCREDIBLY, WE HAVE THIS THINKING FROM CITY LEADERS.......

City Hall has openly stated on numerous occasions that they want all these poor people out of Middletown

THEN WHAT THE HELL DID YOU BRING IN THREE TIMES THE AMOUNT WE WERE SUPPOSE TO HAVE IN THE FIRST PLACE IF YOU DO A 180 DEGREE ABOUT FACE LIKE THIS? HOW CAN YOU MAKE A STATEMENT LIKE THIS IF YOU WERE THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEMS IN THE FIRST PLACE? DID YOU, OR DID YOU NOT WANT THESE PEOPLE IN THIS CITY? MERCY!

Mr Adkins told council members not to worry because it would take several years for HUD to remove them from the Section 8 Program. That City Hall could stop any actions against them at any time……….Really?

AND ALL OF THE COUNCIL MEMBERS BUY INTO THIS STATEMENT? HAS ANY OF THEM ASKED FOR A LEGAL OPINION ON THIS CONCERNING THE RAMIFICATIONS FOR THE CITY IF IN DEFIANCE OF HUD? WOULD ANY OF YOU TAKE THE WORD OF ADKINS ALONE, OR WOULD YOU BE SEEKING OTHER OPINIONS?

If HUD can prove civil rights violation and or discrimination in the Section 8 Program I believe they will completely shut down the Section 8 Program in Middletown within a 30 day period. No more MPHA and all the vouchers will transfer to Butler County…and that will be the end of this story.

BUTLER COUNTY MAY BE THE NEW ADMINISTRATORS OF THIS PROGRAM BUT ALL THE SECTION 8 PEOPLE WILL STILL BE HERE IN MIDDLETOWN, RIGHT? THAT AIN'T GONNA HELP THE CITY. WE NEED ALL SECTION 8 GONE-OUT OF TOWN, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE 700 OR SO WE ARE SUPPOSE TO HAVE. SHIP THE REST OF THE 1600 TO WEST CHESTER AND HAMILTON AND SPREAD THEM OUT SO AS NOT TO BE SO DAMAGING TO OTHER COMMUNITIES.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2013 at 4:02pm
We have 4, count them 4 attorneys siting there in every council meeting on HUD. Two of them are not telling you the truth and the other two will not ask questions. The rest of council seems to follow like sheep, thinking what they are told is the gospel.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2013 at 4:08pm
Vivian, you apparently agree with HUD that the "need is there".  And you also feel that :  "Now City Hall ..wants to run all the poor people out of town. " 
This is circular logic -- the need is here because the people are here.  That's like saying don't drain the bathwater because the water has to be held somewhere.
I wonder how many people that were part of the increase from 10 years ago were long-time city residents versus coming from other areas.  For those that came into town, would it really be terrible for them to go take their voucher to Miamisburg, Franklin, Hamilton, Springboro, Dayton, Cincinnati?  Who said a recipient of government funding should not be inconvenienced with a move?  Is this one of the many expanding "rights"?  Next time my employer tells me I have to move to a different work location should I pitch a fit and claim I have "rights"?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2013 at 4:30pm
As I understand, we had restrictions in place, some kind of point system that gave a Middletown resident 200 points and any one from out of the area would not have those extra points so they go on the waiting list. Others get extra points if they are a vet or disabled.This gave Mid Residents first choice. Then Judy thought if they removed these restrictions ,other people would move out of this area, well guess what, she didn't know the results would be people could move here and have the same chance as a Mid resident would have. She was told this but she did not listen. Ask a person that knows more about the program better than I understand it from my friends that have properties.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2013 at 8:59am
Over the Hill
I don't know about the point system however I do remeber reading about the restrictions in the 96 page report.
This entire program has been poorly handled by City Hall.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic