Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Monday, April 29, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Private Property Puchase

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Private Property Puchase
    Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 12:03pm
Today's Journal....

Middletown school board moves to purchase property
1.3-acre site will be incorporated into middle school, high school campus

MIDDLETOWN —
The Middletown school district is expanding the size of its high school campus with a recent pending purchase approved by the board of education.

A sale is set to close July 31 for the school district to purchase a 1,700-square-foot home at 4500 Manchester Road, said George Long, business manager. The property came on the market in June and the district worked with a real estate agent to secure a purchase price of $175,000 — under the asking price of $190,000.

ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS PRIVATE PROPERTY PURCHASE? WAS THIS TALKED ABOUT IN PUBLIC CIRCLES UNTIL NOW?

I LIKE THIS REASONING.....

“Although we’re not sure how the exact use of it will be … the key is it gives us more flexibility as we design the new middle school and high school,” Long said. “We can’t control when properties maybe come on the market so we made a move to secure this property because we feel it will be in the best long-term advantage of the district.”

OK, THE REASON FOR PURCHASE, EVEN THOUGH THEY AREN"T SURE WHY THEY'RE BUYING THE PROPERTY, IS THAT THEY "CAN'T CONTROL WHEN PROPERTIES MAY BE ON THE MARKET SO THEY MADE THE MOVE TO SECURE THE PROPERTY" WHAT DID HE SAY?

Long said the district is using leftover funds from the last bond issue to purchase the home on Manchester Road, which sits on a 1.3-acre site on the northeast side of the high school property near the Manchester building

BUT MR. LONG, THE PUBLIC, WHO APPROVED THOSE BOND LEVIES, WEREN'T TOLD THIS PURCHASE WAS PART OF THE ORIGINAL PACKAGE PLAN. THIS IS AN EXTRA THROWN ON THE PILE WITHOUT VOTER APPROVAL.

“The district has for many years said that if any of these properties become available they would like to own them, because it does give us the ability to expand the high school site and better work through our facilitation of that site,” Long said

SO, LIKE THE CITY, THE SCHOOL DISTRICT IS IN THE BUSINESS OF PURCHASING PRIVATE PROPERTY FOR.......WHAT REASON AGAIN??? "ABILITY TO EXPAND THE HIGH SCHOOL SITE AND BETTER WORK THROUGH OUR FACILITATION OF THAT SITE". WHAT? THIS IS JIBBERISH. EXPANDING THE SCHOOL CAMPUS BY PURCHASING ADJACENT PRIVATE PROPERTIES.....AND THIS WILL DO WHAT FOR THE CAMPUSES?

Long said the use of a temporary construction office inside the property is permitted. Long said during the impending middle school and high school construction, a construction manager would have typically spent money to mobilize construction trailers and portable restrooms.

“This house can be used for that temporary use for a savings of $50,000 across three years to offset the cost of this house,” Long said. “It gives us more flexibility and more of an opportunity to better use this site.”

SHOULDN'T YOU REQUIRE THAT THE CONSTRUCTION COMPANY INCUR THE COST OF HOUSING IN THE CONTRACT DURING THE CONSTRUCTION PHASE? WHY IS THE SCHOOL DISTRICT (TAXPAYER) INCURING THE COST THAT THE CONSTRUCTION COMPANY NORMALLY IS REPONSIBLE FOR?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 12:14pm
I can understand why the district would want this property as it does increase the building options and will probably help traffic flow, but what I don't understand is how the district can both use the property for a construction office and simultaneously use it for additional building space.  Maybe the site will only be used for a parking lot or driveway which can come after the construction.

The savings for the construction company being passed to the district makes sense to me.  Sure the construction company would incur the cost of a temporary office but they are in this to make money and the lower their cost the lower the cost to the district and to the taxpayer provided George does a good job of negotiating the contract.
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 12:18pm
If its the house I'm thinking it is, its a nice little piece of property. I would have guessed in the $150,000 range myself....

Now, let's just see if this bond passes. Sounds a little like chickens have been counted before the hatchings...
Itsa me, mario!
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 1:44pm
Unless the interior was extraordinary, they overpaid a bit for this house.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 2:10pm
what else would schools do with leftovers, $175,000  laying around ?? other than shoot it !! and wish for more..
Miss Kitty View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Kitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 2:17pm
Why didn't the city of Middletown purchase the property and give it to the school board? That is what the city does with all the other properties they purchase. How does the school board expect the people of this community to PAY more taxes and get nothing in return. The schools we have now are not even maintained properly. Use the buildings we have and stop pushing levies down our throats. jmo
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 2:54pm
The interest of the school district in purchasing this property, as well as the other 4 houses that jut into the high school site, has been discussed in public before, more than once. This particular purchase was not discussed in public until the property was under contract, for obvious reasons. The house was put on the market for 189,900. The district opened with a very low offer. $175,000 was the negotiated price and is within fair market value given the condition of the home and the sizeable acreage.
Vet, we know why we bought the property. It adds 1.3 acres to the high school site where we want to add a middle school. What Long said is we don't know exactly how that 1.3 acres will be utilized until the experts do their planning and site drawings. But we are completely sure that a larger overall property will give us more options, and that the corner of the high school property where this house sits is particularly cramped.

The community has been very vocal in indicating that they prefer the middle school to be on the same site with the high school. This extra acreage gives more flexibility in placing the middle school on the site while allowing for sufficient driveways in and out of the property. Frankly, right now the traffic flow at the high school is very awkward and cramped, due in large part to how this property abuts into the site.  This additional land will be a substantial benefit to the high school even if the bond levy fails and the district is never able to build a middle school on the high school site.

Processor, the thought is to use the house as temporary construction office for the first phases of construction, ultimately tearing it down and moving the driveway to the new edge of the larger site.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 3:20pm
makes sense 2 me
1.3 acres is a good score for the system---and no one else would want to live there next to the school, especially during the construction phase. Hopefully the system is LEASING it to the construction outfit. Headquartering there is a great idea--security there also. Makes it possible for someone to live there throughout, over-seeing the project. Eventually it comes down to enhance the entrance/exit from Manchester Road

price is what it is--most valuable to the system

jmo
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 3:25pm
I find it outrageous, indeed unconscionable, for the school district to give consideration for building the school buildings now. Middletown is a wasteland. most streets have not been paved in greater than 22-25 years, and yet....here again, the school district builds. Enrollment is down.
When this happens, the market in Middletown just gets worse. What an unfair scenario to the homeowner, who cannot sell property, and now faces the higher taxes. All that will remain in Middletown will be the public employees that support one another; school district employees supporting higher taxes; city employees supporting higher building schools. A land of public sector, nothing else.
Tax payers will be fools to pass this. But, that's why the school district moved in the city building; avoid "sunshine" and plot for taxes.
In Scottsdale, Az a $650,000 home yields 1800 annual taxes. In Middletown, a 140,000 home yields about 3700. in taxes.
You are killing the city. Taxes never work, and brick and mortal doesn't bring kids in.  

And yet....it continues. No wonder so many houses are hitting the market before this tax and the city's 2.0% comes.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

The interest of the school district in purchasing this property, as well as the other 4 houses that jut into the high school site, has been discussed in public before, more than once. This particular purchase was not discussed in public until the property was under contract, for obvious reasons. The house was put on the market for 189,900. The district opened with a very low offer. $175,000 was the negotiated price and is within fair market value given the condition of the home and the sizeable acreage.
Vet, we know why we bought the property. It adds 1.3 acres to the high school site where we want to add a middle school. What Long said is we don't know exactly how that 1.3 acres will be utilized until the experts do their planning and site drawings. But we are completely sure that a larger overall property will give us more options, and that the corner of the high school property where this house sits is particularly cramped.

The community has been very vocal in indicating that they prefer the middle school to be on the same site with the high school. This extra acreage gives more flexibility in placing the middle school on the site while allowing for sufficient driveways in and out of the property. Frankly, right now the traffic flow at the high school is very awkward and cramped, due in large part to how this property abuts into the site.  This additional land will be a substantial benefit to the high school even if the bond levy fails and the district is never able to build a middle school on the high school site.

Processor, the thought is to use the house as temporary construction office for the first phases of construction, ultimately tearing it down and moving the driveway to the new edge of the larger site.

1.3 acres is insignificant when considering the overall acreage of the high school campus. The owners of the house in question tried to sell that home numerous times when we lived across the street on Stratford, behind the Manchester Rd homes adjacent to the exit from the high school. Sad knowing that a half acre in that area, in good times, got around $30 thou. I see this parcel's location as rather "out of the way" as to usefulness if and when your new idea comes to fruition.

Ms. Andrew.......

"This additional land will be a substantial benefit to the high school even if the bond levy fails and the district is never able to build a middle school on the high school site".

I fail to understand how this small piece of land (when comparing to the overall land area), will be of much use in the overall scheme of things. Was it worth $175,000 just to widen the driveway and perhaps make the exit a tad bit easier? Please explain.

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 4:35pm
With the declining enrollment If the district would just wait another 5-7 years the high school could fit 7th through 12th in one building.

Rather than cram all this construction into a fairly small amount of land, the district should offer to buy up some of the Wild Wood Country Club across the street.  From what I hear they are hurting. 
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 4:44pm
I am obviously off and odd here, since I see this as somewhat sensible considering the location--being a good neighbor to a taxpayer b4 de-construction/construction

Then again--I guess that it would go cheaper once the dirty work starts--or just wait until it goes into foreclosure
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 5:05pm
Acclaro....I don't know what paving streets has to do with building a new middle school and re-habbing the high school.  City government and the school system are two different entities and can not combine money.  I also don't know how comparing property taxes in a different state to Middletown yields any insight into how high, or low Middletown's taxes are.  Also I think you're off a bit on the numbers.  I know that a house appraised for $155,000 in Middletown yields $3,000/yr in property taxes.  I also know that a house appraised for $700,000 in the Lakota School district pays over $12,500 per year.  We can all move to Mississippi and pay $800 per year on a $200,000 house but also then pay to have your kids educated in private school.

In general I agree that brick and mortar don't bring students in, but I also know that many people are very turned off by the location and appearance of the middle school and, if they currently live in Middletown look to send their kids elsewhere, or if they are looking to move to Middletown have strong reservations about buying.  I think that combining the middle and high school buildings on the same campus in the high school's current location will remove this as an issue and is one of the pre-conditions for getting people to stay in the district and to have a chance to bring outsiders to Middletown. 

It is completely understandable to me why the district would want the property, that it is a good fit with the current master plan, and that it serves the long term interest of the district to own it.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 5:29pm
I just want to know what we're going to do about the 6-out-of-26 indicators that I've heard so much about...chmoore
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 6:25pm
“Although we’re not sure how the exact use of it will be … the key is it gives us more flexibility as we design the new middle school and high school,” Long said. “We can’t control when properties maybe come on the market so we made a move to secure this property because we feel it will be in the best long-term advantage of the district.”

If money grew on trees I would buy my old neighbor's house on the same premise. 

I will not be buying my old neighbor's house. 
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my Words of Freedom website.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 7:35pm
processor....of course there is a correlation of the city's unwillingness to pave roads and the redistribution of the allocated road funds for asphalt since 1986, to the ever increasing cost and taxation for schools. Why would a resident have a desire to move into an area that has such bad raods and infrastructure, and yet pay for greater taxaes on school buildings? lets try this again. Its not wise to build schools, when the roads, serving greater number of individuals, are so poor, yet we are to expected to pay for school buildings? Illogical.

As for comparing Scottsdale Az to Middletown, the point is, when the richest area in Arizona (and one of the wealthiest per capita income in the US), is 1/3 of Middletown, for 3x more valuation----people have no interest in moving into the city, nor state.

There simply is no practical rationale for building the school, and it sure as heck is not going to bring in more residents. Its driving them out.      
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by chmoore1 chmoore1 wrote:

I just want to know what we're going to do about the 6-out-of-26 indicators that I've heard so much about...chmoore

Darn good question Moore. Want to start the discussion since you brought it up?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 9:40pm
Brick and mortar is a smokescreen, a deflection.

The school board doesn't have to speak about 6 indicators when they can await a new building.

I don't get you voters out there. Wake up, will you for goodness sake. Think...for a change. 
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 10:09pm
come on acclaro--plenty of rational thinkers around here
don't always have to think like you though
no one has mentioned voting for anything btw
the new school is coming like it or not--we weren't asked
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2013 at 10:20pm
Sigh....

chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 12:20am
Vet: no discussion necessary---I was just using my July "6 indicators" phrase to get it out of the way.  Now we have to wait til August to bring it up again....chmoore
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 12:29am
Acclaro: rationally explain what your plan is for the old middle school, which is 90 years old this year---in ten more years it will be---surprise!---100 years old, since you won't let us build a new one.  RATIONALLY, please, without going off on a tangent about all the other ills in our town and society.    chmoore 

Vet: I forgot to mention that "purchase" has an "R" in it. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 4:54am

Acclaro: rationally explain what your plan is for the old middle school, which is 90 years old this year---in ten more years it will be---surprise!---100 years old, since you won't let us build a new one.  RATIONALLY, please, without going off on a tangent about all the other ills in our town and society.    chmoore 

Vet: I forgot to mention that "purchase" has an "R" in it. 

Thank you for the correction Moore. Unlike you, I may make a mistake now and then. Most people do. Also, unlike you, I don't buy the crap the school people are shoveling. Never have. You connected with the school in some way bud? Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 6:56am
cmoore1-  RATIONALLY, I posted many comments regarding the updates and alternatives the school district could do as an alternative to building a new school. I rationally will let you make such evaluation in archives.

Rationally chmoore1, I ask, if a university has 200 year old buildings active today, a 100 building can also be effective. Or is there something about a 200-250 year old building for a college or university that makes it impractical to use. Maybe the school district should be buying SunCoke energy (electricity), or you have problems with carbon foot-printing?

Rationally, explain why no concrete financial analysis was done by the "on board" before being on the board committee that rubber stamped the new building, with the execption of Mike Presta chmoore1.

Rationally, explain how many new students and how high the academic performance will be, when the taxpayer pays for that new building chmoore1.

Rationally, you have no answers, and my response is anything but, a macro "broad brush.:

I thought you were the same individual whom posted about the 800. wasted auto allowance on iPads given to the administration? That was rationale thought. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2013 at 10:15am

Vet: no discussion necessary---I was just using my July "6 indicators" phrase to get it out of the way.  Now we have to wait til August to bring it up again....chmoore

Yep, and the subject of indicators will be consistently brought up until school supporter people like you stop the lip service and start changing the numbers in a positive direction by actually addressing the problems. You support 'em. You help 'em solve their dilemma. Some of us are tired of the same old crap for over two decades now and wasting money paying for a white elephant of a school system.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic