Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Tuesday, March 19, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Towne Mall Scam Revisited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Towne Mall Scam Revisited
    Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 12:05am
Owners of Towne Mall are struggling with their promises about bringing in new anchors. Several potential anchors have passed on the opportunity to come to Towne Mall.

Look for more promises but little if any delivery.

Hope the City checks them out before providing any financial support.
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 8:36am
Do you have a link to a story about the anchors passing?
Itsa me, mario!
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 9:42am
Interesting .... I know the manager is now the former manager. But I don't know why. One can only assume that things aren't going that swimmingly. 
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Historic House Guy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Historic House Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 10:16am
Take a look at the average income in this city. Why would any of them want to come here? Plus Fairfield Twp. is about to build a "mega" shopping center in Jan. I'm sure they're more interested in investing there.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 12:00pm
I was in the mall over the weekend.  The corridors were freezing, and I wondered if they had the heat on.   It didn't seem so. 

Such a sad state at the moment.

The average household income within one mile of the center is approx. $55k.   And $57k in a 3 mile radius.  Population in that radius is almost 34,000.  Not too bad, if you ask me.

http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/E/D/0/ED0A6C8F-402D-4F68-AA4D-E81BBB2F2EF4.pdf
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 12:35pm

A better use of that property for the city would be commercial office space and the tax revenue that would bring, wouldn't it?  Of course, who would move in there and who would fund renovations of the building.....

itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 1:12pm
I support that idea, or, level it and get a HUGE retailer in there to build on the property.
Itsa me, mario!
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2013 at 1:50pm
Between the EB, Dillards and mall property, the investors have close to $3 million simply to acquire property.
Trotwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trotwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2014 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Middletown29 Middletown29 wrote:

Owners of Towne Mall are struggling with their promises about bringing in new anchors. Several potential anchors have passed on the opportunity to come to Towne Mall.

Look for more promises but little if any delivery.

Hope the City checks them out before providing any financial support.

Please post a link. Right now you are spewing BS
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2014 at 6:32pm
Post a link? The ownership/management promised 3 or 4 (memory) fails new anchors by the end of the year and that's not the first time they failed to produce on promises. The only thing the new owners have accomplished since they bought it is to run off Dunham's sports (besides get a few local companies to relocate there no disrespect to them) great job.

ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 02 2014 at 7:58am
If anything the mall owners should work on next, is modernizing the lighting in that place. I have never seen such a dark depressing place to shop in my life. I noticed they have updated the lights in the parking lot, but the lighting inside needs it just as bad. It is small improvements that can make a difference in a way a place feels.
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2014 at 3:05pm
Towne Mall owners are bottom feeders looking for a quick buck with little or no investment.
Where did the City come up with these guys?
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2014 at 4:41pm

Target closing blamed for Towne Mall stall

Yea right. Target closing has nothing to do with the mall. It is a strategic decision.

The Towne mall has a whole different set of problems most of which springs from the place looking worn out. It has never been updated. The mall is old looking and tired. No one wants to associate their business with the Towne Mall without major major improvements.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 1:00pm

Posted: 12:38 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2014

Finish Line closes at Towne Mall

By Rick McCrabb

Staff Writer

MIDDLETOWN — 

One of the major retail stores in the Towne Mall Galleria has closed.

The Finish Line, a sporting goods stores that has been in the mall for about 15 years, has closed after not renewing its lease, according to one of the mall owners, George Ragheb, of SA Mary Ohio, which purchased the mall in October 2012.

Ragheb said reported sales at the Finish Line in the mall were “strong.” No one at Finish Line was available for comment. On Tuesday, workers were cleaning out the store, but they declined to comment.

Ragheb said the Finish Line location was about 2,000 square feet. There are 660 Finish Line locations in 47 states.

The closing of the Finish Line came just weeks after Ragheb said potential major tenants were “holding back” on signing leases because Target, located across the street from the mall at 6775 Roosevelt Parkway, was closing. The company announced it was closing eight stores later this year, including Middletown and Trotwood locations.

Ragheb said he was hoping to sign several major tenants to fill the space in the former Dillard’s location, one of the mall’s anchors. He said negotiations are continuing with those tenants.

Finish Line is the second tenant to recently leave the mall. He said Wigs For A Change, one of the 11 new businesses that opened last year, has left the mall, and other retailers haven’t renewed their leases. He said another merchant signed a new lease, at a higher rate, and four tenants are considering opening mall locations.

On Tuesday, Ragheb said soon he would have “very good news” to announce regarding the future of the Towne Mall.

Ragheb said his company remains committed to the Towne Mall. The group has spent $3.3 million purchasing the 465,451-square-foot mall and other properties. They spent $850,000 on the mall, $1.2 million on Dillard’s and $1.25 million on Elder-Beerman. The land and building were valued at $9.48 million, the auditor’s office said.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 1:19pm
No worries....they are moving downtown besides Stained.

They know there is lots of 'feet' traffic downtown. Get it, feet--- shoes.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 1:56pm
"good news"? What, imploding the site?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 2:53pm
I heard from a very reliable "state" source the owners, SA Mary, have a deal with Car Max at that location. It won't be a Mall, but a car lot.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 3:05pm
Car lot?  Shake..my...head...

Wouldn't a fraction of the city's millions used in downtown have been better spent acquiring the mall?  At least the location has more hope.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 3:16pm
Might as well tear down the mall and rebuild it. Or make it a outdoor mall that everyone seems to want. I know in West Virginia they hold Garage Sales in the Mall to increase foot traffic. Also city government is also housed in the malls as well. Maybe Middletown should close up shop in Downtown and operate out of the Towne Mall lol Wink
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 4:08pm
Bill....yes, the ideal brownfield that could have been sold in time at a fraction of the tax valuation.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 4:27pm
When will council/admin finally start realizing this town needs a dramatic change of course -- something daring and outside the box, rather than same ol' same ol'. 

A stage 3 cancer patient doesn't need a warm bed and a cold compress, they need to be evaluated by smart experts and possible receive dramatic, cutting edge intervention.
itsamee View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsamee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 4:45pm
I think the owner is confused...
Attracting more tenants is not the same as losing all the current ones...
Itsa me, mario!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 6:28am
ktf : "Also city government is also housed in the malls as well. Maybe Middletown should close up shop in Downtown and operate out of the Towne Mall lol"

WHAT??? BLASPHEMY!!! CURB YOUR TONGUE KTF! MOVE THEIR DOWNTOWN FLAGSHIP, THE SS DONHAM, OUT OF PORT AND LOCATE IT IN ENEMY TERRITORY? TAKE THE GOOD SHIP LOLLIPOP AND SAIL 'ER OUT BY THE FREEWAY? YA JUST GAVE THE MAYOR, GILLELAND, 'OLE LESLIE LANDEN AND ALL THE KNIGHTS OF THE DOWNTOWN TABLE A HEART ATTACK SUGGESTING THAT. (KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK BY THE WAY!)    

A CAR LOT EHH? NOT A BAD IDEA. IF WE'RE GONNA JUNK 'ER UP, MIGHT AS WELL DO A BANG UP JOB OF IT.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 8:37am
Middletown has way too many shopping strips that are not in use that should be torn down and rezoned for new development. And if the developer is not going to invest in remodeling the Mall, then it "should" be torn down. Then they should start building some upscale 3-5 story Business Buildings right along I-75, And once you start getting some upper income businesses in those buildings,  then the restaurant and retail will begin to come back.

Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 9:28am
ktf, who is "they" and where is that millions in demo money going to come from?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic