FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Liberty Restaurant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Liberty Restaurant
    Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 1:07pm

I just heard that the Liberty Restaurant downtown has closed.
I’m hoping this is just another rumor....

Anyone know the truth of this rumor?
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 1:45pm
I hope that is not true, that place had some awesome hamburgers. But then again a bunch of restaurants are have been closing as of late. I suspect the raise in minimum wage at the start of the year.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'">I just heard that the Liberty R</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; COLOR: black; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">estaurant downtown has closed.
I’m hoping this is just another rumor....

Anyone know the truth of this rumor?</SPAN>

IF TRUE, HATE TO SEE AN OWNER OF ANY BUSINESS CLOSE THE DOORS. GUESS THEY'LL HAVE TO ABSORB THE LOANS THEY TOOK OUT TO GET THE RESTAURANT STARTED, RIGHT? THE LIBERTY IS LIKE THE JUG WHEN DISCUSSING ICONS IN THIS TOWN. SEEMS LIKE BOTH HAVE BEEN HERE FOREVER. I GIVE THE CURRENT OWNER CREDIT FOR TRYING TO MAKE IT WORK IN A VERY DIFFICULT CLIMATE. 50/50 CHANCE OF SUCCESS AT BEST WHEN SHE STARTED.

TO BE BLUNT, IMO, THERE NEVER HAS BEEN A "RIGHT TIME" TO GET INTO ANY BUSINESS IN THE DOWNTOWN AREA. NOT ENOUGH FOOT TRAFFIC WITH DISPOSABLE INCOME IN THIS CITY TO SUPPORT ANY TYPE OF BUSINESS AS YET. MAY NEVER BE WITH THE GAME PLAN IN PLACE. TOO SLOW OF PROGRESSION, NOTHING OF EYE-OPENING FEATURES TO ATTRACT A LARGE AUDIENCE. THE ONLY THING THAT COMES CLOSE IS THE SUMMER BASH AND THAT IS FREE, SEASONAL AND NOT A DAILY EVENT TO MAKE A CONTINUAL DIFFERENCE. WITH ALL THE THINGS THE DOWNTOWN SUPPORTERS CLAIMED TO HAVE DONE, IT IS STILL BORDERING ON MORGUE CONDITIONS AS TO ACTIVITY IN THE "ARTS MECCA OF THE MIDWEST". PERHAPS, AFTER SEEING THEIR SNAILS PACE DEVELOPMENT, THEY MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER A CHANGE IN DIRECTION AND START THINKING DIVERSITY AND NOT PIGEON-HOLE THEMSELVES INTO THIS ARTS NONSENSE. TOO MUCH CONTROL, TOO STUBBORN AND NOT ENOUGH OPEN-MINDED VISION MAY BE THEIR PROBLEM.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by ktf1179 ktf1179 wrote:

I hope that is not true, that place had some awesome hamburgers. But then again a bunch of restaurants are have been closing as of late. I suspect the raise in minimum wage at the start of the year.

Which ones?
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 4:38pm
Tumbleweeds is closing all locations in the Dayton area
http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/taste/
Here are 13 Dayton area restaurants that have closed too
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/local/13-area-restaurants-that-closed-in-2013/ncYtj/

Granted Middletown as far as I know hasn't had too may restaurants close this year, Dayton on the other hand has been getting nailed lately with restaurants closing up shop. The Dayton Mall is also starting to look like a ghost town with empty stores and restaurants, especially north of 725 on 741.
Justsayin View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justsayin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 7:17am
This is really too bad. Best wings, burgers, and fries! Ate there several days a week. I think location was the problem. Sally and staff were great!
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 4:57pm
Granted, I don't eat their specialty (coney dogs), but I have found their other options mediocre at best. 
Justsayin View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justsayin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 8:57pm
I called the Liberty today. They are open for business. Seems as though a disgruntaled employee made up the closing story.
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 2:39am
I am not certain of The Liberty's hours, but I passed by there at 5:15 pm this past Tuesday and none of their outside lights or signs were on.

I am not a "disgruntled employee," (or any employee whatsoever) so what is up?
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2014 at 2:46am
Originally posted by swohio75 swohio75 wrote:

Granted, I don't eat their specialty (coney dogs), but I have found their other options mediocre at best. 
SWOh75:
You are a known flag-waver for the "arts and wine-'n'-cheese" crowd at the corner of Central and Broad. Why should we believe anything you say about other places downtown (or anywhere else, as far as that goes)?

You are too biased to carry any weight. Your on-line record confirms this.
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2014 at 6:50am
they were opened on Friday!
115Monroe View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 115Monroe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 6:00pm
So did she close? Note tapped to front and back doors "Closed for family emergency be back Monday" it's been at least three weeks now and nobody seems to know what's going on.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 9:57pm
I think several folks might be surprised to see what transpires. 

Miss Kitty View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Kitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2014 at 10:18am
No Kidding. It only gets better from here
Talking Heads View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talking Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 8:52pm
The Mac and Cheese was good and came from a container from GFS. The woman was just using other people's money to get by, like many new downtown ventures. Guess the bank will wash away default from the loans received via the Downtown group. But, what about the mortgage holder on the building? Buck's may be moving closer into the Arts and Entertainment area!
wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 9:31pm
I heard Buck's Sports Bar was closing and Tim had bought the Liberty.
Talking Heads View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talking Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2014 at 10:07am
Buck's signs are now posted at the old Liberty.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2014 at 8:05pm
Ok, now that the Liberty has changed hands, can some of us, who are not in the loop (to know some of the underlying activity that occurs in this city), be told why the lady quit and it became Buck's? Who pays the loan, using taxpayer money, she borrowed to start her business?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 8:31am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Ok, now that the Liberty has changed hands, can some of us, who are not in the loop (to know some of the underlying activity that occurs in this city), be told why the lady quit and it became Buck's? Who pays the loan, using taxpayer money, she borrowed to start her business?

Vet - you wonder why so many on this forum don't view you as credible, it's because you don't know what you are talking about half the time. 

The owners of the Liberty received a $10k micro business loan from First Financial Bank through their program with Downtown Middletown Inc.

http://www.journal-news.com/news/news/downtown-champion-local-bank-make-ownership-dream-/nTQGQ/

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 8:35am
sw:

"Vet - you wonder why so many on this forum don't view you as credible, it's because you don't know what you are talking about half the time"

I'm just asking a question for information. I stated that I don't know the underlying theme here. I have heard you and crazycatcher mention credibility. You are two of how many? More should speak up if they believe this to be true and I'll take my leave. No problem.
Iron Man View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

sw:

"Vet - you wonder why so many on this forum don't view you as credible, it's because you don't know what you are talking about half the time"

I'm just asking a question for information. I stated that I don't know the underlying theme here. I have heard you and crazycatcher mention credibility. You are two of how many? More should speak up if they believe this to be true and I'll take my leave. No problem.

If it's any consolation, I view you as credible. Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic