FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$125 Per Meeting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $125 Per Meeting
    Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 7:10am
Journal story....

Also, members of the Middletown City School District board of education, president Marcia Andrew, vice president and the Rev. Greg Tyus, Christi Delloma, Katie McNeil and DeAnna Shores, voted to be paid $125 per meeting, the most allowed by law. Then, for the third consecutive year, they agreed to accept a voluntary 10 percent reduction in pay, or $12.50 less per meeting.

SCHOOL BOARD MEETING IS HOW LONG? 2 HOURS MAYBE. NOT A BAD HOURLY RATE, EVEN WITH THE 10% REDUCTION. STILL CAN'T BELIEVE TYUS IS BACK BEHIND THE DESK. LIKE A BAD PENNY.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Marcia Andrew View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 9:57am
Vet, meeting lengths vary, anywhere from 10 minutes to 5 hours.  We are only paid the $112.50 for official public meetings.  We are not paid for committee meetings, for attending graduation, awards ceremonies, PTA meetings, other public events, educational conferences with other school boards, etc.  As president of the board, I meet twice a month with the superintendent and the treasurer, and I am not paid for those meetings. 

The number of meetings we are paid for has varied over the years that I have been on the board, but the total compensation has ranged from $3000 to $5000 per year.  If this was such an attractive rate of compensation, you would think more people -- anyone, really -- would have run for school board in the last 3 elections.  Instead, the only 2 non-incumbents who ran resigned before serving day one in office.

And btw, in my day job, my time is billed to clients at $425 per hour.  No one serves on school board for the money.  We do it for all the respect and thanks we receive from the community (heavy sarcasm intended!).
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 11:15am
"We do it for all the respect and thanks we receive from the community (heavy sarcasm intended!)."

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS MS. ANDREW, EVEN THOUGH WE MAY DISAGREE IN MOST EDUCATIONAL TOPICS AS IT PERTAINS TO THE MIDDLETOWN SCHOOLS, I DO APPRECIATE YOU AND THE OTHER BOARD MEMBERS TAKING AN INTEREST (AND TIME AWAY FROM FAMILY) TO PARTICIPATE IN THE GUIDANCE OF THE SCHOOLS. WE HAVE HAD OUR MOMENTS HERE, BUT I DO RESPECT YOUR COMMITMENT TO THE CAUSE.

THANK YOU.

"the total compensation has ranged from $3000 to $5000 per year. If this was such an attractive rate of compensation, you would think more people -- anyone, really -- would have run for school board in the last 3 elections. Instead, the only 2 non-incumbents who ran resigned before serving day one in office."

PERHAPS THERE ARE SOME WHO WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE BUT THEY WORK SHIFT WORK. OTHERS MAY BE INTERESTED BUT THEY HAVE FAMILY MATTERS TO ATTEND TO. STILL OTHERS HAVE A BUSINESS TO RUN WHICH REQUIRE ADDITIONAL HOURS OUTSIDE THE NORM. PERHAPS MANY WOULD LIKE TO OFFER THEIR SERVICES BUT FEEL THEY ALONE CAN'T CHANGE THE CURRENT CULTURE/CLIMATE THAT IS NOW IN PLACE WITHIN THE SCHOOL SYSTEM. OTHERS MAY JUST BE PLAIN FRUSTRATED ENOUGH TO HAVE GIVEN UP ON THE WAY THINGS ARE WITHIN THE MIDDLETOWN SCHOOLS AND SAY WHAT'S THE USE IN TRYING TO CHANGE ANYTHING. DON'T THINK THAT COMPENSATION WOULD BE AT THE TOP OF THE LIST FOR ANYONE, NO MATTER THE REASON, TO RUN FOR A BOARD SEAT.

I AGREE WITH YOUR LAST STATEMENT. DON'T KNOW WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO EXPEND ALL THAT EFFORT AND COST IF YOU WEREN'T PLANNING TO OCCUPY THE SEAT. PEOPLE JUST BEING PEOPLE I GUESS.

"And btw, in my day job, my time is billed to clients at $425 per hour"

WOW, OUT OF SIGHT RATES MS. ANDREW. WAAYYYYY OUT OF THE REALM OF COMPREHENSION FOR MOST OF US.

3 GRAND TO 5 GRAND RANGE WOULD HELP PAY SOME BILLS ALONG THE WAY. A SUPPLEMENT FOR A PART-TIME WORKER, RIGHT?

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 2:06pm
Vet, thank you for the "thank you."

I forgot to say, we are not paid for time spent responding to questions on this blog, or to emails and phone calls.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Marcia Andrew Marcia Andrew wrote:

Vet, thank you for the "thank you."

I forgot to say, we are not paid for time spent responding to questions on this blog, or to emails and phone calls.

NO, I WOULD SUSPECT THAT THIS TASK IS NOT PAID. STRICTLY VOLUNTARY. I WILL SAY THIS........I RESPECT YOUR PARTICIPATION HERE. YOU HAVE PROVIDED SOME INFO THAT SOME OF US ARE NOT AWARE OF, PARTICULARLY IN THE INNER WORKINGS OF FINANCING AND OPERATIONS WITHIN THE SCHOOL SYSTEM. LOOKS ALOT DIFFERENT TO SOME OF US WHEN COMPARED TO SURFACE CONTENT PROVIDED BY THE JOURNAL AT TIMES. I ENJOY THE PRO-LEVY/ANTI-LEVY POSITIONING DISCUSSIONS HERE.

MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT WE DON'T HAVE SOME REPRESENTATIVES FROM COUNCIL PARTICIPATING ON THIS FORUM. LAUBACH STARTED, BRIEFLY, THEN SUDDENLY DEPARTED. HE OFFERED VALUABLE INSIGHT AT TIMES INTO INNER WORKINGS AND INFO WE DID NOT KNOW. TONY MARCONI, YEARS AGO, POSTED HIS THOUGHTS WITH RELATION TO COUNCIL. NO LONGER A PLAYER HERE IN TOWN. PICARD HAS PUT IN HIS TWO CENTS WORTH HERE ALSO. UNDERSTANDABLY, THE MULLIGANS, MORT, GILLELAND, KOHLER, ADKINS AND THE OTHERS WE HAVE CRUCIFIED, HAVE NOT OFFERED THEIR SIDE OF THE STORY AT ALL. WOULD BE INTERESTING TO SIT DOWN WITH THEM FOR A DISCUSSION TO FIND OUT WHY THEY DO THE THINGS THEY DO AND WHY THERE IS SO MUCH DISAGREEMENT WITH THE WAY THINGS ARE......OFF CAMERA AND WITH NO JOURNAL REPORTER OF COURSE. KINDA OF A "NO-HOLDS BARRED"/"TELL IT LIKE IT IS" SESSION. NEVER HAPPEN. THEY DON'T CARE TO HEAR FROM THE CITIZENS. YOU CAN TELL BY THEIR INDIFFERENCE IN THE CITIZENS COMMENTS PORTION OF THE COUNCIL MEETINGS. NEVER ANY FEEDBACK UNLESS IT IS SOMETHING THAT IS "GOOD NEWS", MATCHES THEIR GAMEPLAN AND THAT THEY SUPPORT. TOTALLY CLOSED-MINDED.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcia Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 3:32pm
I agree that it would be good if council members explained the background and reasoning for their decisions.  They might make more sense to the rest of us if they did.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic